Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Conflux No. 1 (Collage) | Deschutes Brewery

Conflux No. 1 (Collage)Conflux No. 1 (Collage)
4.16/5
Exceptional
Conflux No. 1 (Collage)Conflux No. 1 (Collage)

Deschutes Brewery
Oregon, United States
deschutesbrewery.com

Style: American Strong Ale

Deschutes Brewery and Hair of The Dog Brewing Company join forces to weave The Dissident and The Stoic and Fred and Adam into an artistic collage of cask-aging alchemy.

Barrel Aging: Rye Whiskey, Cognac, Sherry, Pinot Noir, Bourbon, new American Oak, and new Oregon Oak

Released in May 2012 (12 oz. bottles)

Added by msubulldog25 on 05-01-2012

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

Best by date of 4-30-2013 ... ENJOYED and reviewed on 6-22-2014

A - Murky, burgundy color

S - I first noticed cherry and light notes of malt

A - Pours a murky, dark burgundy with almost no head or lacing

T - COMPLEX ... Sometimes I taste individual elements of the Hair of the Dog beers and sometimes I taste a new beer with tart fruit. This is a beautifully balanced beer.

M - Just right for this perfect blend of four beers. I've had all four beers and they are expertly blended.

O- It has to be hard to blend beers together to complement each other without overwhelming each other. I keep thinking I like this as is and wanting the individual element, especially Fred!

If I had the choice between the individual beers and this outstanding combination, I'd prefer the individual beers, but I loved what they did here.

4.31/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - The appearance was a dark copper color with no head.

Smell - From the aroma, you can well this was aged in wine barrels. It is like a quality sweet wine.

Taste - At the from, the grapes of the wine barrel aging dominate. But then, you can tell this is an American strong ale. The malts bend toward the sweeter parts of the palate, but then shift toward sour in the after taste. It is sticky like butterscotch, but has the elements of wine. Without question, the aftertaste is warming.

Mouthfeel - I beer coats the tongue allows the sourness of the grapes to dance on the tongue long after each swallow. The carbonation is low, with the thickness being appropriate for the style.

Overall - It would seem the aging would not work for the style, but I like is a lot. Since I did not have it fresh, I can not vouch for what aging did. Aging rarely harms a beer like this.

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%