Deschutes River Ale | Deschutes Brewery

Added by Jason on 02-27-2013

2.06/5  rDev -44.5%

2.25/5  rDev -39.4%

2.49/5  rDev -32.9%

12 oz bottle into 0.3 L stange. best before 08/28/2013.

A: I wouldn't exactly call this blonde, more of a light copper hue. head is bright white. retention and lacing are minimal.

S: a bit of toffee. not getting any hop presence what-so-ever. mild diacetyl in there too.

T: a lot of caramel malt, a little bit of lemon zest. and definitely a whole lot of diacetyl on the back-end.

M: carb is moderate. on a light/medium body.

D: oh boy I really wanted this to be something besides this. I was hoping for a light hop presence and a highly drinkable summer brew. instread this is totally lacking in hop presence and is beat up with diacetyl.

2.5/5  rDev -32.6%

2.62/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

I must've gotten a bad pint of this. Mine was served at the local Famous Dave's BBQ place, and was nothing like everybody is saying it is. I found it flavorless, thin, no mouthfeel, and under carbonated.

I will have to try this from the bottle, I know Deschutes wouldn't make a product this poor. However, I will adjust my review when that time comes, but not before.

I guess it had an excellent head and lacing. That's all the good I get from it.

2.68/5  rDev -27.8%

2.68/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.25

2.7/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Picked up a 6er of this on sale at the local market. Thought you can't really go wrong with anything from Deschutes...
Poured from a bottle into a snifter.

A - Pale amber in color, 1/2 finger of off-white head.

S - Hay, lemon, earthy smell (kinda like dirt or mud), slight bready character, tangerine.

T - Sour lemon, hay, grass, dirt.

M - Nothing exceptional

O - Disappointed. I'm waiting for the "subtle pleasure to reveal," but it hasn't revealed itself yet...

2.75/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Good, easy drinking beer. It's nothing to write home about. There are plenty of good options available, it's unlikely I'll purchase again,

2.76/5  rDev -25.6%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: pours a 2" off white fluffy head which leaves some light lacing behind. Color is a hazy rich gold with abundant streaming carbonation.

Aroma: Pine and citrus hops are quite present with a nice doughy malt behind them.

Mouthfeel: light and fluffy with a somewhat wet finish.

Flavor: lemon peel, some pine and grapefruit, an odd soapy flavor, in the background is some malty backbone of dinner rolls, with a hint of cinnamon and caramel.

Overall: I am hoping this beer will grow on me. I generally enjoy golden and blond ales, but this seems a little strange to me thus far. It is not bad, neither is it great. I was expecting more as I have always been pleased with Deschutes products. The beer just seems to lack a proper balance and is more hop forward while lacking in the sweetness I am accustomed to in this style.

2.86/5  rDev -22.9%

I'm not a fan of the style, so it is difficult to provide a fair review.

No complaints about the look. Nice, slightly hazy gold color, not much of a head, some lacing (for those who care about lacing).

The smell is... mild. Faint hops. No unpleasant.

Taste is also mild, like the smell. Faint piney hops - nothing floral that I can detect. It's not bad, just not that memorable.

The feel is the worst attribute - to my taste buds. Watery. Mildly carbonated.

I guess this is what people would call a "session beer." It would take many people 3 or 4 of these to get a "buzz." Probably better consumed outside on a hot summer's day. The beer just doesn't have enough "substance" for me.

2.88/5  rDev -22.4%

2.91/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Best by 13JUN13

Golden, clear, nice solid creamy foam. Smells floral, some grain, hint of hay. Taste is a little bitter, a little corn, a bit of herbal hops. Light bodied with lower carb and a semi dry finish. Meh, needs a little more oomph if you ask me.

Deschutes River Ale from Deschutes Brewery