King Pilsner | King Brewery

King Brewery
Ontario, Canada
kingbrewery.ca

Style: Czech Pilsener

An authentic Czech-style Pils Lager brewed with only 100% imported Bohemian malts, Saaz hops and a true strain of Czech yeast.

King Pilsner is bright golden coloured, full-bodied beer with a refreshing taste. It delivers a soft texture, complimented by the proper balance of malt and Saaz hops. Its flavour begins with a pleasing malty taste, imparts a dry bitter tang, and finishes very cleanly. Consumers are quoted saying “there is not a beer in Canada that tastes like King Pilsner”, and “this beer tastes like the true Pilsners in Europe”.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-06-2003

2.43/5  rDev -36.7%

Was interested in trying this as it has some interesting reviews and its average score places it near the top of the pilsener style but I'm here to knock it down a bit cause I just don't see it. Simple appearance, generally what I would expect from a macro. Smell is pretty muted, sweet bready malts, but not too much coming through. Flavour is subtle with that same malt character and a light citrusy saaz like hop character. Refreshing, in a simple way. Light weight feel on the palate. Overall, nothing I would seek out again. If it were a macro, I'd give it top scores in that vein.

2.74/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Purchased at The Beer Store for just under $3.00 for a 473ml can. Served at 4deg C in a draught glass

A- Opens well and pours a tiny head that is gone fast. Medium clear gold color

S- Not a lot here. Some malt. Touch sour

T- Not so great. Has an aftertaste that just bites at you. Malty

M- Unusual to say the least. Dry yet creamy yet not so great.

O- Don't care of this one. Glad I tried it and will not buy it again though.

Food Pairing

This ok beer would do well with........ nachos. The way you like 'em I like ground beef, green onion, cheese, sour cream, corn and salsa.

Enjoy

2.75/5  rDev -28.4%

2.75/5  rDev -28.4%

3.18/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Does not come close to a true Czech Pilsner but definitely drinkable.

3.24/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

3.41/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.42/5  rDev -10.9%

Volo Cask Days 2008. Extra hopped pilsner. Light yellow with some hop scent. Not characteristic hops come through on an average mouthfeel. Saaz hop presence. Worth trying, but I like the regular pilsner please. Quaffable. Hops is the taste, including the saaz and that's about it.

3.42/5  rDev -10.9%

Pours a typical golden colour, maybe a bit on the pale or watery side. A sizable frothy white head lasts for a few minutes leaving some minor lace and a collar.

Grassy, grainy aroma. Floral notes, some soap and a faint honey sweetness. Wet, sweet malts start to come through about halfway through the glass.

Nice crisp, clean taste with a sweetness coming through on the tongue. Dry aftertaste. Simple, but clean and inoffensive.

Very light-bodied with a medium carbonation. Goes down very easily, maybe a bit watery on the back end. Very clean though.

Not a bad effort at all and one of the better Ontario-brewed pilsners I've had. Very nice as an "ice cold on a hot day" beer, but lost something when I tried it with a couple meals.

3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

No head. Medium amber in color. Barely any aroma, subtal bakery. Herbal with slight bitterness and dry finish.

3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

I'm not really a big fan of the pilsner style, and so I was looking more forward to trying King's Dark Lager than I was their pils. That said, when it came down to it, I'd heard enough good things that I bit the bullet anyway. Most of the pilsners that I do really enjoy are European, and King has been described as a very accurate interpretation of a European pils - so here goes nothing.

There's nothing spectacular about the pour or appearance, but that's because we're all so used to hazy, yellow-ish beers. This one pours nicely, though, a s lightly darker yellow (hazy straw-apple-juice?), and is topped by a nice, vibrant two fingers of head with decent retention and gobs of lacing. Carbonation isn't too visibly intense. This looks better than most light-coloured beers, but doesn't get my engine revved quite like a stout. Still, for the style, it's more-than-respectable.

Nose is nice. From the moment I started the pour I was getting big whiffs of Saaz hops and dried, biscuity malt, with maybe even a touch of indistinct fruit. A closer inspect reveals an assortment of grassy, rural-type notes - grass, hay, a faint spiciness, again just touches of that fruit. Oddly, though, every couple minutes, the smell just dies for me and I have to swirl and take huge sniffs to pick up anything. Flowers. Dry grain. Again, the pils isn't really my style, but quite respectable, and comparable with many European varieties that I've enjoyed in the past.

Taste is more of the same. Starts off malty and a little sweet; as it sits on your tongue, the bitterness and hop character grows, asserting itself with hints of grass, hay, and flowers. Seems to be quite a back-and-forth between the malt and hops, though the bitterness ultimately wins out. Some citrus notes, finishing bitter with a mingling bready maltiness and grassy, citrus-y hops. As it warms, however, the beer becomes somewhat less palatable (and in this respect, I have to go against BA wisdom, if only for this particular brew). Not bad, all in all, and a good try at the style that shows respect for the originals.

Mouthfeel is a touch overcarbonated, even though it doesn't appear to be based on looking at the glass. The body, however, feels quite good - substantial without being too heavy. I'm not so sure about drinkability, though: this is bitter enough (without a sweet counterpoint) that I'd be done (or craving some water) after only a couple.

That said, it's certainly worth a try. And my mixed-feelings are perhaps more reflective of how I feel about pilsners in general than about King Pilsner in particular. A good interpretation of the style, however I grade it, and worth a try.

King Pilsner from King Brewery