Hercule Stout | Brasserie Ellezelloise

brasserie-ellezelloise.be

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by zerk on 10-12-2001

1.73/5  rDev -57.3%

A: pours a nice dark brown, thin in body, yet enticing.

S: Smells nice, maybe sweet, but i smell something different,

T: to the lips, not bad, but once it hit the back of my tongue, just awful, the licorice/anise is SO overpowering. I like it in sambuca, so ita not that i don't like licorice.

M: The dry mouthfeel and taste reminds me of some flavored skoal i tried in high school... Never again... NOT a stout in my opinion.

O: at 7.99 for this i am beyond apalled, it has nothing besides a nice color... Please if you want a stout go american double or imperial, avoid this

1.77/5  rDev -56.3%

Served in a chalice for $5 for a happy hour discount. Sampled 2/29/12.

A: Dispensed with 1 1/2 fingers of airy foam head, light brown in color, and creamy on top. Great retention. The purely black body deposits small slings of lace on the glass.

S: Wet earth, burnt toast and traditional skoal. That's right, snuff - the dipping tobacco. Perhaps it was winterfresh and not traditional flavor. Either way, the nose is very awkward - and nothing like an RIS should be.

T: The flavor matches. Adding something reminiscent of watered down scotch. A light fruity element tries to come through but is overtaken by the earth and tobacco. Not a good showing.

M: Unexplainably thin. Light and watery. It's hard to believe the ABV is 9%. Highly disappointing.

O: I've been meaning to pick up a bottle of this beer for quite some time but was always put off by the price tag. Glad to have the opportunity for an inexpensive pour since paying the bottle price ($10 I think) would have been like throwing money down the drain. Literally. I had no interest in finishing the glass.

It's interesting to note that almost all of the highest ratings for this beer were logged between 2002-2004. Maybe this beer has fallen off considerably, or maybe this keg was bad.

Infected as fuq

2.02/5  rDev -50.1%

2.25/5  rDev -44.4%

2.37/5  rDev -41.5%

Appearance: Almost, but not quite, jet black. Very active and thick beige head. Great retention and lacing.

Smell: Smells kinda fruity, like grapes, plums and jams. No roasted or chocolate malts on the nose at all. No hoppy scents, floral or bitter, at all, either.

Taste: Sweet and sour with a hint of hoppy bitterness at the end. Lingering dried fruits (raisins, dates, and such) on the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Very light for the style, regardless of which style it is.

Drinkability: Given the price I paid ($10.25).. no, hell, no. Seems better classified as a Belgian Strong Dark Ale than an Imperial Stout. My scores wouldn't change too much if this were the case. Save your money for Sam Smith's Imp. Stout, Trois Pistoles, or Shakespeare Stout instead.

2.5/5  rDev -38.3%

Nose of roasted malts and hint of black chocolate.
In mouth, an unpleasant sour taste appears followed by an aroma of wood ashes.
Drinkable but not more..

2.57/5  rDev -36.5%

Poured into a tulip at TJ's Belgian Beer Paradise event on January 22, 2011. Reviewed from notes.

The body is a very deep garnet hued nearly opaque black color. Verbose, I know, but it does the color justice. Thin head, and it dissipates quickly, providing no lacing.

The aroma is overwhelmed by a potent licorice character. Really searching, I find a touch of roast and a bit of cocoa aroma, but really, this is dominated by the licorice. I don't know if this is a young batch, or if the licorice will fade in time, but I find it just on the unflattering side of the astringent line. The taste brings in more stout flavors that I look for -- the smokey flavors, the roasted coffee. The licorice again comes in at the end though, and steals the show. There are some hints of the wet cardboard-like undesirable oxidation.

The higher level of carbonation makes this feel a bit thin and uninspiring. The lack of complexity in the flavor, coupled with the poor mouthfeel make this a very 'meh' beer. Call it a Belgian Stout or a Russian Imperial Stout, either way, this falls well short of my expectations and the good representations of each. Neither my fiancee nor I was impressed.

2.73/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2.85/5  rDev -29.6%

A: dark mahogany. decent head that lasts. not much lace.

S: bitter-sweet chocolaty note with hints of vanilla, and a slightly taste of figs. Slight hints of hops. Dark sugar. Sherry oxidized notes.

T: dark chocolaty flavour backed by licorice and bitter-sweet roastiness of black malts. Aftertaste with suggestion of brown sugar, dates

M: very approachable beer with a full body. Softly carbonated

D: not bad. this sample is outdated.

2.89/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

I have tried this before and thought that it was more mild in flavor but quite drinkable and great at hiding its alcohol content. This 11.2oz bottle with a plastic and rubber cork held down by a metal clasp was cracked and poured into a snifter. A modest audible note of carbonation was noted. The price is listed at $8.99.

Not the thickest on the pour and the small tan bubbly head dissipated to nothing very quickly. Dark brown in color and opaque.

Smell is malty, sweet and boozy. Burnt brown sugar, dark chocolate, heavy molasses and weak coffee.

Taste is more mild than the aroma with many of the aforementioned characteristics becoming more muted.

Medium body; certainly one of the lightest in its style. Seemingly watery mouthfeel with a medium finish of lightly roasted sweet malt. Minimal carbonation.

I recommend to drink this one more fresh; I remember liking the last bottle I had better and this one's been sitting around for maybe a year or so. To me, at this price point, I'd rather get a bigger more assertive stout, but if you have the extra cash and are looking for something lighter and easier to drink, this may be your ticket.

2.9/5  rDev -28.4%

ok, so I'm in to trying new things and I grabbed this stout at Vine Street pub in Denver. Not knowing what to expect, i was disappointed. notes:

Very dark ruby, but looks thin. Rather shallow head, soapy. As it goes down some lacing, but it seems oily.

holy crap, licorice. Anise. Jagermeister in the nose. Some faint prune or raisin. very faint caramel and malt.

This is not what I expected, even though i didn't expect anything other that a stout. Anise/licorice are overwhelming. Sure, a hint of either would be nice, but they dominate here. Prune? gone. Raisin? Nerp. If this had more abv, it would be Jagermeister. Thin. Blah. Choke this one down (who knows it may grow on me...nope), and get a Ruination to cleanse my raped palate. Nasty.

UPDATE: Ok, i tried another at a different place. The anise is not there much at all. This helps let out the dark soft fruit and some spice. ratings adjusted.

2.97/5  rDev -26.7%

330ml swingtop bottle served in a snifter. Batch 192 notched on the label. Pours the color of cola with no head, just a thin, tight band around the bowl and an oily slick across the surface. No lacing on this one. Nose expresses dark malts, molasses, burnt sugar, ethanol, brewer's licorice and anise - very much style consistent. Taste is a major letdown - earthy/ashy and watery; I can't say that I'm really enjoying this. There's a suggestion of chocolate, but it's a bit dull and lacking in any appreciable flavor. There's also a slightly acidic tinge and a faint herbal character present in the flavor profile. Mouthfeel is medium-light with a more or less watery texture and a carbonation a little livelier than still. Overall - major let down. Probably one of the worst RISs that I've had in a while and the $7.49 price tag makes it even less palatable. The only redeeming quality is that the alcohol is fairly well-hidden at 9%. Perhaps it's an off bottle but this is not something I'm too willing to partake of again any time soon.

2.98/5  rDev -26.4%

Bought a bottle of this while I was out in Colorado. Has been in the cellar for a few months now so I figured I would give it a shot

A- Very thin appearance, Dark brown with a thin cream colored ring around the glass.

S- Slight Caramel up front followed by a huge dose of plum, raisin, and booze.

T- Mocha, vanilla, Raisin, Chocolate, slight coffee taste followed by alcohol...bleh

M- Too thin for my liking...feels watered down with a little too much carbonation

O- Well I can say I tried it...I am really not a fan of this at all. I feel like it was lacking a lot for a stout and the balance was way off

3.08/5  rDev -24%

Black pour with a TON of cream colored head. Robust roasted malt/coffee nose. Coffee, slight mmocha/molasses maybe slight licorice. I just don't enjoy this much carbonation in a stout, it overshadows everything. People love these "Belgian" stouts, I don't get it I guess. I will say I like this one the best of the 6 or so I've tried.

3.1/5  rDev -23.5%