Oude Kriek | Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Oude KriekOude Kriek

Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Added by Todd on 10-14-2001

I tasted the 2007 vintage, so it had aged for 7 years.

A: Ruby red in colour

S: Distinctive funk, barnyard, oak wood, cherries, somewhat reminiscent of complex Burgundy red wine.

T: Exquisite sour cherries. Long finish.

M: Lots of tartness, almost like balsamic vinegar.

O: In conclusion, this is a great advocate for its style. The complexity of this beer is overwhelming. One of the best beers I have ever tasted. I look forward to tasting the younger (and older vintages) in comparison.

4.97/5  rDev +22.7%

Picked it up while looking for some Thanksgiving sours and it was definitely the highlight. The only other true Kriek I've had is the Lou Pepe which I aged for a year, and while this was a shade under that one the difference is negligible. Combines the sweet and sour aspects of the style superbly; the cherries hit first and quickly it quickly moves onto an excellence puckering sour. This would probably mellow out into a nice sweeter beer within a year, but I like it as is.

4.92/5  rDev +21.5%

A world class sour. Phenomenal.

4.92/5  rDev +21.5%

Served at just over fridge temperature into my new Warsteiner stange. Purchased at Home Liquors in Hackensack for $9.99. No freshness date... that would be because you could sit on this for years.

Appearance- Infused Darjeeling tea amber, exceptionally clear. Beautiful cascading as the bubbles fight their way upwards on the pour. Stubborn pink tinged off-white crown sits elegantly atop the surface, remaining a finger thick for minutes afterwards.

I swear to God a fruit fly just appeared in my office out of nowhere...

Smell- Horseblanket and barnyard funk, done better than anything I've tried to date. Close your eyes and you're on the farm, deep in the country... dodging manure with each step. Lingering sour cherry notes in the background, with a teasing sweetness as a counterpoint.

Taste- Wow, how do you improve on this? Bone dry, sour cherries with that barnyard funkiness right off the bat, going into the sweet notes of the fruit as the beer flows over the tongue, and balancing damn near perfectly as the sourness is left behind on the lips and teeth. Totally refreshing and thirst quenching, and complex as hell because of the three year barrel aging. Hugely delicious and amazing.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- I have decided to enjoy this 750ml by myself today, to see what temperature and breathing would do to this beer. I am happy to report that, unlike some lambics I've tried, this drinks very smoothly and remains so throughout. Sharp and crisp, the tiny bubbles are perfect for the style and keep the beer lively. I have not paired this with food, and it certainly holds its own. The low ABV allows full enjoyment without reservation or consequence, and I have enjoyed this one completely. Terrific beer, I will always keep a few of these around.

P.S. I just poured the remaining 8 oz. into my glass, resulting in a change in clarity to haze. Sourness has become smoother and even more drinkable.

4.9/5  rDev +21%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

4.87/5  rDev +20.2%

4.85/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.8/5  rDev +18.5%