Oude Kriek | Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Added by Todd on 10-14-2001

1.33/5  rDev -67.2%

Doesn't look like a beer. Looks like cranberry juice. Pours burgundy with zero head.

It smells like salad dressing. A mix between vinegar and some sort of berry.

The taste is simply terrible. Based on the look, smell and taste, if I hadn't bought this in a beer store, I'd never guess it to be a beer. The vinegar taste just overwhelms everything else.

This thing destroys your mouth. It's sooo bitter that I literally squint each time I swallow. It burns the back of your throat, it's extremely unpleasant.

I'm not sure I can finish this. Not so much because it's so bad, but because the pain my mouth and throat are in. I don't know what it's like to drink bleach, but it has to be similar to this.

1.67/5  rDev -58.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: Pours a nice, dark red. the color of ripe cherries... and blood.

Smell: Extremely funky. Smells like limburger cheese mixed with old gym socks on top of a stale baguette.

Taste: Very, very sour cherries with the acidity of vinegar. Once the wild cherry flavor goes through, the taste of bad durians, limburger cheese, aged goat cheese, and socks after they've been on a guy who's run the marathon all blended together and served on a toasted baguette surfaces again. I haven't had an aftertaste this bad on my palette since I threw up after drinking too much wine at a wine-and-really-eclectic-pungent-cheese party.

Overall: I've had krieks before that I thought were too sour for my taste but this one is so acidic it could probably put a hole through your skin. I couldn't tolerate more than a couple sips.

1.94/5  rDev -52.1%

Well my first kriek, to be honest I'm not sure this will be my style. Pours a pink/orange color, no carbonation or head. Smells real funky, not pleasent but I don't know what exactly it is. Tastes very acidic and again a weird funk. Very thin mouthfeel. Overall not very impressed. That's just me though.

2.23/5  rDev -44.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Score re done in march of 2015. Too lazy to do a review.

A-pours a slightly hazy cherry red with a thin bubbly white head.

S-the nose has a nice barnyard funk with notes of hay, vinegar lies underneath, semi tart cherries in the back. great balance in strength and amount of funk, vinegar, and sweetness.

T-the taste is more sweet, the barnyard funk is first, lots of wet hay, very light vinegar, lots of sweet cherry with a light to moderate level of tartness to it. Great balance, everything seems to work really well together and balance is outstanding.

M-lighter body, extremely soft and smooth on the palate, great carbonation and just slighlty dry in the finish.

D-very good beer, great balance as nothing dominates, the flavors are well pronounced and work in tasty lambic harmony.

2.54/5  rDev -37.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

With the puddle of drool collecting on my chin as I smell this beer -- a near-perfect display of ripe, earthy acid and hell garden fruit -- I expect the best. And though the beer finishes long and deep, it's tortured by an overwhelming taste of iron -- fresh pig's blood -- that sticks to the tongue, turning uric and fecal. The acidity and dryness, though intense, are well balanced making this one of the more drinkable, yet authentic, lambics in the world.

This is a style of decay, but Oude Kriek has gone too far without any caution or reserve, filling my mouth with the corpal weight of lost souls hanging shallow in the fog -- under the volcano, where death sends the unknown and unloved.

Relax, relax.
ng

2.63/5  rDev -35.1%

A-dark brownish red. little to no head...looks more like a wine.

S-smells like a sour wine. abv is there...surprising for only 6%. there is a thick cherry scent hidden within.

T-hits with an EXTREME sourness. oh wow, the whole experience is a bit like a warhead candy. its a quite unique and semi-painful experience. there might be some cherry in there but i can't taste anything past the sourness.

M-medium carbonation, almost watery finish. really makes my mouth water.

D-i must say this isn't very drinkable. it does not go down easily at all. its just entirely way too sour for me.

2.69/5  rDev -33.6%

Bottle from City Beer in SF. This was expensive as hell, $17 or so. Oh man, this was interesting to say the least.

A - Red in color with a small white head.

S - Aroma of cherries, funk, and canned tuna. Yes, tuna. Not too enjoyable.

T - Sweet cherries, then tartness, vinegar, and funk. Horse blanket, pig sweater, llama comforter, elephant jacket, and camel overcoat were all present in the flavor. Tuna on the finish. Pretty good in a way, but a little disturbing in another. It grows on you.

M - Nice sharp, biting palate with lively carbonation.

D - Not so good. This has some nice elements to it but is a little questionable overall.

2.75/5  rDev -32.1%

2.83/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle from Connecticut Ave in DC. Served in a Hanssens tumbler.

A: Pours a bright red with a bit of a crimson hue. There's a thin pink head that pops up, but then falls down fairly quickly. Afterward, there's a thin collar around the edges of the glass with a few bubbles on top.

S: The nose brings some fresh, tart cherries with a good dose of lactic acidity. Aside from that, there's some mild earthiness in the background.

F: The cherries start things off, but quickly give way to a fairly-harsh lactic presence. It's really quite over the top, and then comes a bit of vinegar. The vinegar isn't overpowering, but is a bit too much, especially considering the strong lactic character and lack of matching cherry flavor.

M: Light body with moderately-high carbonation and a bracingly-sour finish. Quite dry, though the acidity doesn't last too long after each sip.

O: Too much acidity without enough fruit to back it up. Even with more fruit, the lactic is probably too much and the acetic character needs to be taken down a bit.

2.84/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This is a lightly copper colored beer that has shades of pink and red. No head whatsoever.

There is a musky, earthy aroma that is woody, dank, and almost malodorous. I'm not sure if this how it's supposed to smell, but it's definitely unusual.

The taste is exceptionally tart with hints of vinegar and sour cherries. I was initially overwhelmed by the strange flavor but eventually wanred up to it as I drank.

The mouthfeel is a tad bit too sour for me. I feel like I pucker as I take this into my mouth. The texture of this beer is just too tart for my taste. This is a very dry, almost winelike quality in the mouth.

I supppose I'm just not evolved enough to appreciate the finer points of this style. Perhaps a little more exposure to this style will open my mind. I didn't score this lower because I felt like this is the way this style is intended.

2.9/5  rDev -28.4%

Pours a dark cherry/ ruby red with thin pink head that quickly dissipates. Funky sour aroma with sweet cherry juice, cherries and syrup. Very puckering and vinuous. Sweet cherry syrup flavor that stays sour throughout with a very dry and way too acidic finish.

2.9/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A - This beer poured a light reddish color that produced no head whatsoever

S - The aromas of sour cherries and yeast

T - To me, this beer is a sour mess, way too much for me, some yeast and cherry

M - This mouthfeel on this beer had a light to moderate body and a light amount of carbonation

D - Like I have already stated, this beer was like sticking several warheads in your mouth, it had a huge sour cherry kick that really made this beer undrinkable, not a good Lambic

2.97/5  rDev -26.7%

375 ml purchased from the Bruery Provisions. No clear bottle date.

Poured into a Lost Abbey Tulip.

A: Completely clear bubbles pour into the rest of a completely flat pinoit noir body. Looks like a really dark strawberry jam with no imperfections. There's no haze or cloudiness, invisible yeast presence. The glass sits still like pond water. Disappointed already with how flat this is looking.

S: Yikes, really super tart currents and almost putrid cherries. This is smelling past it's prime, lots of damp cork woods and extremely biting current sourness. Tart doesn't even begin to explain the nose, this smells like 100% essence of sourness. I am getting lockjaw in anticipation of how sour this will be.

T: Very tart, but actually some oak restrains the sourness a bit. The smell was extremely sour, but the flavor is just tart. The acidity is pretty uncomfortable, but I think it's exaggerated by the fact that this is completely flat. The flavors all seem to intersect at soggy woods. Cherries and red currents sting like tart venomed bees before dying in pool of acid. Feels really harsh on the back of the throat, but even then you get some fancy wood-mellowing after tastes. Faint fruity almonds and red wine in the aftertaste.

M: As said before, completely flat. This feels so harsh because of the lack of contrast in the mouth. A very wet light body that prickles so heavy with tartness that you can almost trick yourself that there's still some carbonation left. Unfortunately, there isn't any carb left. Always a bummer to pop a cork to a hollow sound.

O: The flavors are pretty good, and this thing is incredibly potent with tart berry flavors. With some carbonation I'm sure this is a much better beer, but as a flat beer it's very rough to drink. The acidity is very taxing on the back of the throat, and the tartness makes it feel like force-fed medicines. I could get this thing down if it was a magical elixir to cure all my problems, but otherwise this isn't drinking very well. I'll revisit this one, and I'll hope for a loud pop from the cork.

3.03/5  rDev -25.2%

Poured from 375mL corked bottle into a tulip.

Appearance: exceedingly deep, rich red hue with basically no head at all. Usually the latter would be a problem, but the color is so rich and beautiful ... wow.

Smell: slightly tart wild-yeast aroma with a hint of dark cherries. A bit mild, but nice.

Taste: very tart, somewhat sweet flavor. Reminds me more of an unflavored lambic than a kriek. Cherries are barely there, and what is present is buried in the tartness. Way too tart, even for the style, and not enough cherries in the flavor.

Mouthfeel: astringent, light mouthfeel with a minimum of carbonation. Quite undercarbonated for a beer of the style. Odd.

Overall: I'm rather disappointed by this beer, though it is possible I've got a bad bottle. How does a naturally tart and wild-fermented beer go bad? I don't know, but this beer is undercarbonated, over-tart and just not cherry enough for the style.

3.03/5  rDev -25.2%

I think this is bottle is brewed in 2005.

The colour is deep red-brown, the liquid almost clear. The minimal head disappears quickly, leaving no lacing.

The smell is tart with notes of vinegar, yeast, earthy hints and a sweet touch of cherry candy.

The taste is dry and tart with the expected notes of minerals, vinegar, iodine, salt and earthy-chemical notes as well as dry flavours of sour cherries, cherry candy and hips. The aftertaste is sour-tart with metallic bitter flavours and an artificial flavour of cherries.

The carbonation is medium strong; medium sized bubbles. The liquid is dry and a little light, yet sticky.

A little too tart for a kriek, I think.

3.03/5  rDev -25.2%

Poured this one into a tulip glass. It is a really deep ruby red with some purple highlights. No head at all, maybe some medium sized loose bubbles.

Nose on this one was the first sign for a slight dissapointment. It was very tart cherries up front with a lot of vinegar. The sourness had my nose hairs standing up straight. An almondy note cuz I know they're bringin in the real deal here with an authentic Fruit Lambic production.

My first sip of this beer pretty much gave it away. This beer is surprisingly not that good at all. Hansenns Oude Gueuze is probably one of my favorites and Cantillon makes my favorite Kriek thus far. I don't know exactly where they went wrong with this one but it tastes wild in a spoiled way if that makes sense. I've never had a sour or a wild ale that sat quite this way with me.

This beer has the lack of flavors and complexities that I find noteworthy in many others. It just seems like the vinegar and sourness show off too much and don't let anything else shine thru exept for perhaps some black cherries. And I love sour so it's kind of awkward for me to not like this one.

3.06/5  rDev -24.4%

375 mL bottle. Pours a deep, kinda murky red. Has a collar with big discrete bubbles. Smells of sour cherries, a little bit of vinegar, and some oak. Tastes really sour. Vinegar. Some lemon. Sour cherry. Intense, deep sour finish. Medium body with low carbonation. Too sour, but it’s got a pretty good flavor.

3.11/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

This beer is very difficult for me to rate and should probably be taken with a "grain of salt". It hits all of the marks of the style (e.g. look, funky/fruity smell, funky/tart flavor, etc.) and is probably an extremely solid option for those who love sours. I have enjoyed sours, but I much prefer that the sourness itself be on the milder end of the spectrum. This beer was just a bit too much for me to handle in terms of tartness.

Oude Kriek from Hanssens Artisanaal bvba