Oude Kriek | Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Added by Todd on 10-14-2001

Reviews: 310 | Ratings: 707
3.03/5  rDev -25.4%

Poured this one into a tulip glass. It is a really deep ruby red with some purple highlights. No head at all, maybe some medium sized loose bubbles.

Nose on this one was the first sign for a slight dissapointment. It was very tart cherries up front with a lot of vinegar. The sourness had my nose hairs standing up straight. An almondy note cuz I know they're bringin in the real deal here with an authentic Fruit Lambic production.

My first sip of this beer pretty much gave it away. This beer is surprisingly not that good at all. Hansenns Oude Gueuze is probably one of my favorites and Cantillon makes my favorite Kriek thus far. I don't know exactly where they went wrong with this one but it tastes wild in a spoiled way if that makes sense. I've never had a sour or a wild ale that sat quite this way with me.

This beer has the lack of flavors and complexities that I find noteworthy in many others. It just seems like the vinegar and sourness show off too much and don't let anything else shine thru exept for perhaps some black cherries. And I love sour so it's kind of awkward for me to not like this one.

4.27/5  rDev +5.2%

Cask, gravity-poured.

I had this one two days in a row. The first day was much more sparkly and cooler in temperature. The glass on day #1 was much better I think, but this is a review of the glass I had on day #2.

Orange-red, almost lipstick red. Virtually still. Served at room temp.
A bit of vinegar in the finish, like a flander's red. This was a bit less desirable for me. Funky cherries. The most striking part of the beer was the very strong sourness, and the very soft, round mouthfeel. Would still drink this often if I could! I do wish the cask could be kept a bit cooler somehow.

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured into a Swiss wine snifter.

Pours with no head whatsoever. The body is brilliant, perfectly clear, and the hue of liquid rubies and grape juice. Beautiful and striking.

Smelling this reminds me of why no other beverage on earth captivates me as lambic does. Instantly I am transported to the countryside where I can smell the living soil, the damp forests and the rustic farm. More than just "musty" or "horsey" these aromas are shrouded in complexity that my olfactory senses cannot dissect fully. Vinous, earthy, sourdough, and sour cherries come to mind. There is a mild whiff of enteric acid (vomit) that consider to be a blemish, but this is very subtle.

On the palate this beer packs power. The pucker factor is intense, and the sourness is considerable. This beer isn't as dry as a typical gueuze however, and there is some sweetness present that pushes back against the sourness. I wonder if any of the sweetness is artificial? This is just so tart! On to the flavors: Notes of vinegar and citric acid are evident, along with a small touch of cherries and earthy brett.

The mouthfeel is lighter but is so sour that it is hard to let it sit and be analyzed. The carbonation is quite low.

Conclusion: This is an awesome kriek, and one that I imagine would benefit from aging. The aroma is my favorite part of this beer. The flavor seems to me to be masked by the intense tartness and sourness, but know the little know about the blenders that made this, I think that the end product is exactly what they intend it to be, so I will strive to appreciate what they produce. If you are a lover of traditional lambic or of wild ales in general, I recommend you try this as soon as possible.

4.14/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Paired with a cherry pie made with Duchesse de Bourgogne.

A: Pours a nice, clear, red without any head. Looks to have a low amount of carbonation.

S: Very tart, the vinegar and barnyard funk are strong but not dominant. A ton of cherries are noticed, sweet, wonderful cherries.

T: The taste is extremely acidic, but the tart cherries and funk aren't to be outdone. Very intricate taste that keeps you coming back.

MF: Acidic, low carbonation, not terribly drinkable. A sipping, after dinner beer for sure.

O: This was great, paired nicely with the pie. Couldn't do more than a glass though.

4.39/5  rDev +8.1%

A: Wow, really clear, almost crystal, bright crimson red. One of the most beautiful looking Kriek’s I’ve seen. Fluffy pink head that creates a nice layer but reduces prompty to a foamy blanket on the surface. 5

S: Some woody must, barnyard funk, a little dry fruit, tart cherries, acidity. Familiar, yet interestingly different aroma. 3.5

T&M: Up front there is some tartness, and general acidity, with a good fruity cherry flavor at the end that finishes extremely crisp and refreshing. Mouthfeel is light and carbonation is perfect for the style, if not too perfect. 4.5 / 4.5

O: This beer is a perfect example of what over a century of traditional Belgian brewing can yield. This beer is perfectly crafted not only in the way it’s spontaneously fermented and blended with cherries but how it’s aged in barrels and then bottle conditioned. After all that, it comes out nearly crystal clear, with head, great carbonation and an amazinlgy crisp, refreshing taste. I can find it locally, but it takes time. This beer is amazing. 5

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours a beautiful ruby red with a thin pink head. minor lacing disolves quick into a placid surface

Smells bitingly lactic, cherrys and funk... like rotting fruit in the cherry orchard. Brett notes are inviting of things to come

Tastes bracingly sour. innundating... giving way to a bretty complexity then morrelo cherries dominate the flavor. Finishes dry and bittersweet. Dynamic

Thin and lively. Tingling of sourness but surprisingly... carbonation as well... yes I lucked out!

Overall, outstanding kriek! glad I got a carbonated bottle.

3.39/5  rDev -16.5%

750 mL bottle split two ways, no bottle date

A-Pours a dark red with no head whatsoever. There are some white bubbles that were forced with a rough pour. A loud cork pop with no carbonation...

S-Lots of funk very musty. Smell is quite appropriate to style, very stinky.

T-Very tart with a lot of funk. It is filled with cherry and barnyard funk with not much else going on.

M-Very flat and tart. The tartness does not balance too well with the low carbonation.

O-I was a bit disappointed by this one. The price was okay, 17.99 for a 750. I think I was kind of expecting a little more on this one. The carbonation is really what lowers the score on this one. It was just too flat. I would not recommend this one.

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

A-Pours deep, beautiful burgundy with no head, just a thin ring of bone white foam around the perimeter of the glass.

S-Nose is gorgeous on this. Big, ripe cherry sweetness, balsamic reduction, barnyard funk. The things you expect from a good lambic.

T/M-Intensely tart. Acidity is high, but never overshadows the quality of the fruit sweetness or barnyard funk. There's a metallic note on the finish, probably due to such high acidity, that is slightly off putting. Low carbonation. However, I've gotten used to most Hanssens bottles having no carbonation, so this is fine.

O-As krieks go, this is above average. I like that Hanssens really goes for it with the sharp acidity and bold fruit flavors. A little more carbonation wouldn't hurt.

2.97/5  rDev -26.8%

375 ml purchased from the Bruery Provisions. No clear bottle date.

Poured into a Lost Abbey Tulip.

A: Completely clear bubbles pour into the rest of a completely flat pinoit noir body. Looks like a really dark strawberry jam with no imperfections. There's no haze or cloudiness, invisible yeast presence. The glass sits still like pond water. Disappointed already with how flat this is looking.

S: Yikes, really super tart currents and almost putrid cherries. This is smelling past it's prime, lots of damp cork woods and extremely biting current sourness. Tart doesn't even begin to explain the nose, this smells like 100% essence of sourness. I am getting lockjaw in anticipation of how sour this will be.

T: Very tart, but actually some oak restrains the sourness a bit. The smell was extremely sour, but the flavor is just tart. The acidity is pretty uncomfortable, but I think it's exaggerated by the fact that this is completely flat. The flavors all seem to intersect at soggy woods. Cherries and red currents sting like tart venomed bees before dying in pool of acid. Feels really harsh on the back of the throat, but even then you get some fancy wood-mellowing after tastes. Faint fruity almonds and red wine in the aftertaste.

M: As said before, completely flat. This feels so harsh because of the lack of contrast in the mouth. A very wet light body that prickles so heavy with tartness that you can almost trick yourself that there's still some carbonation left. Unfortunately, there isn't any carb left. Always a bummer to pop a cork to a hollow sound.

O: The flavors are pretty good, and this thing is incredibly potent with tart berry flavors. With some carbonation I'm sure this is a much better beer, but as a flat beer it's very rough to drink. The acidity is very taxing on the back of the throat, and the tartness makes it feel like force-fed medicines. I could get this thing down if it was a magical elixir to cure all my problems, but otherwise this isn't drinking very well. I'll revisit this one, and I'll hope for a loud pop from the cork.

4.1/5  rDev +1%

Presentation: 750 mL corked and caged bottle. Bottle labelled Lotnr. B. Opens with a pop.

Appearance: Crimson red in color with a small pink head that quickly recedes. Surprisingly low in carbonation.

Aroma: Juicy cherries upfront. Oak and a touch of barnyard funk balance out the fruitiness. Definitely some tart notes are present in there too. Very fruit forward.

Taste: Big sweet and tart cherry notes upfront. Very sour, but maintains a nice juicy feel to it. Some moderate oak, barnyard funk, and a touch of vinegar. The fruit is definitely the star here. Crisp and tart.

Mouthfeel: Surpirsingly flat mouthfeel here. It is light enough that it is not that distracting. There is some light carbonation, but nowhere near enough for the style. Way more carbonation than their Experimental Raspberry, which was dead flat.

Overall, a really nice, well done, fruit forward and sour kriek. Tons of cherry notes makes this refreshing and nicely complex. The lack of carbonation detracts a little, but not enough to keep me from buying this again sometime.

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

Thanks to the magician :) of sarro tasting crew. Very old bottle (age unknown ~15 years). Aroma: Still very fruity despite the age. Obviously cherries, lots of barnyard funk, humid earth. Appearance: Beautiful red pour with decent white head. Flavors: Very sour but still enjoyable. Mainly wood flavors, some medicinal herbs. Cherries faded quite a bit. Something a little harsh about it. Palate: One of the driest beer I’ve had, low carbonation. Overall: Very interesting experiment. As for vintage fruit lambic, I slightly prefered the ’96 Gambrinus but this was very good too.

4.48/5  rDev +10.3%

Appearance
This is one bright, vibrant and fiery red beer. Its nearly a neon red when back lit.

Aroma
A nice punch of funk starts things out just how I like it. The aroma gets quite tannic with a cherry skin tartness, cherry pits and stems.

Taste
Tart, but not aggressively sour, at least at first. There is a very dry flavor of cherry skins. The middle holds a biting level of sourness that blends into a fleshy sour cherry sweetness.

Mouthfeel
Light bodied and very dry. Ultimately this beer isn't insanely sour, but it has a very formidable tartness all the way through.

Overall
This was a really great beer. I'd love to give this another go. It was one of my favorites from the tasting.

4.43/5  rDev +9.1%

A: my have basically no head but that's what I was expecting. Pours dark clear cherry red. Very thin soft drink like head, but again I was expecting that.
S: nose directly in glass gets sour and funk, nose above the glass gets a sweeter cherry fruit aroma,
T: has a great difference between upfront and on the back end. Upfront is sweet cherries, a touch of honey. On the back-end is more of the vinegar, acidic sourness with the cherry bitterness.
M: makes the mouth pucker up with each sip. Basically no carbonation but the was expected.
O: sour, yes, one must at a minimum like sour beers before trying this. In general my tastes are going more and more toward sours.

3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

I popped the cork on this bottle and sat back waiting for something, anything to happen but it never did. The beer was completely flat. I came here to see if I just had a bad bottle but it appears this is not an isolated bottle.

The look is not so different to cranberry juice. In fact, considering the lack of carbonation it looks exactly like cranberry juice. The smell is deliciously sour. The smell is the first clue that this is not indeed cranberry juice after all. The taste is worth it. This is sour, tart with some definite pucker. Just enough sweetness in the back to make this beer interesting. Mouthfeel suffers from a lack of carbonation. Even just a little carbonation would have gone a long way towards improving this beer.

As it is I enjoyed this beer. The bottle was definitely left lacking for the missing carbonation. I'm not sure that I would buy another bottle but in the right circumstances I don't think I would hesitate.

3.51/5  rDev -13.5%

I'm really disappointed in the pour. No fizz whatsoever. It's as if I just poured some cranberry juice...same color and look. The smell, however, tells me that this does indeed contain some Morellos and promises the mouth-puckering refreshment that I crave from one of these beers. Let's hope it delivers on that and that the first look was deceiving.

Yep, that is definitely sour and yummy, but the lack of carbonation makes this cloying from the first touch to your lips and then the sourness kicks in making it okay but the body is completely off, with a watery feel to it. I've double-checked the cork and nothing is amiss there...it's in perfect shape. So this bottle (or maybe the whole barrel) never went into secondary fermentation. I checked some other reviews and there are many mentions of no carbonation they still gave the beer good marks. That is the difference between judging against the style and judging your personal preferences.

What a shame...I was looking for a more affordable kriek and I guess you get what you pay for. I'll have to stick Cantillon and Liefman's when I can afford them.

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12.7 fl. oz. bottle into a "Belgian Independence Day" tulip at high altitude near Denver, CO.

A: Pours a slightly opaque bright red color with a prickly pink three-finger head. Lacing all over the glass. Exemplary for a kriek.

S: Sour yeast, bacteria, plenty of cherries. This is exactly what I hope for when I smell a lambic.

T: Opens with sour cherry notes followed by yeasty funk and sourness. The sour notes carry through to the finish and leave the palate clean. Tart and delicious.

M: Medium-bodied and well-carbonated with a slightly dry finish. Spot on for the flavors.

O: This is my gold standard for krieks. Spot on.

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

I had this on cask at Max's. I was very excited because it was my first cask sour ale.

Appearance: Pours a dark red color with some light coming through at the edges. Just a small layer of pink head that went away completely.

Smell: Very sour cherry vinegar with a slight sweetness.

Taste: Amazingly sour. Reminds me of cherry vinegar. Tart and mildly sweet with a sour finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with almost no carbonation and a very dry finish.

Overall: I really enjoyed my first cask lambic cask. The lack of carbonation was nice as it let me concentrate on the flavor.

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

(Served in a teku)
lotnr:B
A- This beer has a very soft pop to the cork, then pours a deep red wine hue with a thick ring of white foam that is stained a purple hue. There are a few microbubbles gliding to the surface but otherwise the body is to dense to see any carbonation.

S- The soft tartness takes on a dark grape note and a dry cherry jam quality to follow. The finish has a bit of wet old wood that holds its ground.

T- The soft tartness of dark fruit has a faint earthy note to it with a soft dark cherry flavor to follow. There is a brett hint in the finish with a soft jam note that is soon overtaken by a tart acidic bite that lingers in the aftertaste.

M- The medium mouthfeel has a soft tartness that grows to more of an astringency in the finish and no alcohol heat noticed.

O- This beer is simple with an acidic bite to the finish with hints of cherries and wild critters and wood. They are all overpowered by the acid.

3.65/5  rDev -10.1%

On cask at Max's. I love the bottled version of this beer and was really looking forward to this.

Beautiful color, mostly flat, thin ring this is a very pretty kriek. The nose has a great cherry character, leathery, fruity and tannic with a nice lambic backbone. The cherry character is about as far from bright as you can possibly get. The palate opens with a blend of funk, cherries and noticeable sulfur. Rather fart-like, the sulfur gets in the way of enjoyability of the beer. Lots of sour cherry with leather and oak. Moderate vinegar, fruity acidity, this is mildly watery on the finish. Too much acidity for my palate, this is not as good as the bottled version IMO.

4.39/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

375 mL bottle, $9.99 from Merchants in Dearborn. Poured into a Cantillon tumbler, right on the heels of Hanssens strawberry lambic.

This pours with no carbonation, a dark reddish liquid with zero head. Transparent when held to a light, at least on the first pour.

Nice cherry aroma with lots of funky background noise aromatically speaking. Tart smelling, very similar to aged Cantillon Kriek. And the taste, this is just about what I hoped for. Sour cherries, strong acidity, sort of ulcery feel in my digestive tract.

A great representation of the style, and one I wholeheartedly recommend.

3.82/5  rDev -5.9%

I bought a bottle of this at TJ's Paoli.Poured into my lindemans glass. Ruby colored with a decent white heading.Settles to a fine thin ring around the edging.Seems a bit heavier than anticipated.

Smell is mostly sour cherry.Soft grain notes. Not much else.

Taste however is the most sour beer I have ever had. The tartness to this beer is unbelievable.Though the cherry is there it is a far second to the overwhelming sourness. A touch of vinegar in the finish.After I let it breath for a little bit the heavy barnyard funk really does settle to a more palateable sourness.

Extremely low carbonation and very thin in the mouth.Decent medium body.

A good sour. I usually do like a bit more carbonation and fizzy pop on the tongue to my lambic's. So this was sort of a let down.

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Served in a La Chouffe snifter.

A- Light rasberry appearance.

S- Vinegar, tart cherries, and some oak

T- Vinegar and tart cherries hit you upfront just like the aroma. Do not really detect the oak. Decent acidity at the finish.

M- Thin with low carbonation.

O- Not an expert in sours, but I really enjoyed this one. The acidity, vinegar, and tartness is not overpowering. Would recommend to anyone who has not had a lot of sours.

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

Hanssens Oude Kriek

Appearance: cherry red, no head, and very little lacing.

Smell: funk and cherry fruit.

Taste: sweettart sourness, cherry, and an oak barrel flavor.

Mouthfeel: medium.

Overall:
This is a great brew. The flavors are very well balanced and prominent.

3.22/5  rDev -20.7%

Whoa. Super strong smell. Over powering fish scent IMO. Like canned tuna.

This beer is either WAY above me or off. I'm guessing I wasn't ready.

Too real man. The shit is to real. I feel like I'm biting into a piece of wood soaked in dark cherry juice. It's intense.

I like sours, I like wild ales, I like the funk. This is taking the sour to a far end of the dark corner of funk.

Not for the weak of heart. I'm hoping to review this again down the line.

3.78/5  rDev -6.9%

Liquid is a deep cranberry color. Carbonation is almost non-existent (much like their Gueuze), leaving no head or lacing... or excitement. I was a bit unimpressed by the stillness, but there was still something about this purplish liquid that was mysterious and intriguing.

Aroma is bursting with a dry cheese stank. It's aggressive and super funky, reminding me of the 2-month old sharp provolone I just threw out last weekend.

Wow! This is one tart SOB. Vinegar and cherry blend together for a concentrated sour blast. The ending is very dry and musky, but it never cuts into that initial tart wave, which is so powerful that its warmth resonates for a long time after. As the liquid warms, a certain nuttiness comes out, which adds another level of complexity. I'm really taken by the balance and tastiness, after being a little unimpressed by the visual and aromatic aspects.

Oddly enough, the lack of carbonation might show the balance off more on the tongue. It's also rather drinkable, once again proving that you can't judge a book by its cover... or smell.

Oude Kriek from Hanssens Artisanaal bvba