Oude Gueuze | Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Style: Gueuze

Added by Todd on 10-21-2001

Reviews: 504 | Ratings: 1,289
3.99/5  rDev -5.2%

a nice gueuze, but certainly not the best one out there, and I think this is probably a little overrated here on BA. it pours a faded orange color, well cloudy, and not holding onto much of its bubbly white head. the nose is sour and vinegar forward, with some straw-like malt and a spunky yeast character. the acidic sour element is the strongest part of the flavor, as it should be in a good gueuze, but I also pick up some light fruit here, tart berries or something, which gives the beer a little sweetness and a little weight beyond its middle of the road malt bill. the finish is very acidic, now more vinegar than conventional sour, which clashes with the sweetness. not as effervescently carbonated as I like for the style, but satisfying enough. also a little thicker than some, but that doesn't bother me with all the complexity here. overall this is a very well made version of the style, but it lacks some of the memorable features of the best ones, it also drags slightly in feel, which is supposed to be so bright here. probably not worth the money they charge for this, but a must have obviously for any gueuze-heads.

3.98/5  rDev -5.5%

Appearance: Oude Gueuze pours a slightly fizzy golden straw color with 2 fingers of pure white head. Retention is pretty decent and the lacing is fine.

Smell: Musty, sweaty, earthy, incredibly intense sour smell. This is the first of the style I have tried but it seems spot on.

Taste: Frankly, though the smell is on par with the style, I found it to be a little off-putting. I can't say the same about the taste. I found it mildly tart at the beginning, not nearly so intense as the scent. Kind of like very green sour apples. The middle reminded me of a sharp kind of cheese.The finish was certainly sour and musty, but not overwhelmingly so.

Mouthfeel: Very light and very dry, and almost without carbonation. Even without a lot of carbonation, it still seems very lively in the mouth, which seems like an odd contradiction.

Drinkability: Not going to lie, there is no way I could come close to drinking this all night. Smells/flavors are just too intense. However, I found it tasty in a mouth puckering way. I would love to try more of this style. I don't think there any way I will ever be a sour lover, but it's a decent start.

3.98/5  rDev -5.5%

A - Mimimal head that settles down pretty quick. A bit darker than I would have expected.

S - Strong earthy, musty smell. Some acidity, not much else.

T - Much darker, richer flavor than I normally associate with Gueuze. Earthy, musty notes and hints of dark fruitiness. Distinct, puckering sourness, balanced by surprising early sweetness. Reminds me of a flemish red to some degree, but much more sour.

M - Dry with strong sourness.

D - Matched well with the Belgian style mussels that I had it with, but not a beer I would drink in large quantities by itself.

3.98/5  rDev -5.5%

A: Bottle with a champagne cork. Pours a very bold clear amber with a light tan head.

S: Fruity and sour. More fruity than other gueuze styles I've had.

T: Very sour but it fades after the first couple sips into something more fruity. Hints of strawberrys some yeasty notes as well.

M: Sits very sour a bit of alcohol comes through. Lots of carbonation.

Overall pretty good. Decently light but it still has some good flavors and a good fruitiness.

3.97/5  rDev -5.7%

Cellared less than a year at the brewery.

A: Slightly hazy orange with a minimal white head.

S: A rather "clean" funkiness (perhaps well defined is a better word considering the circumstances) of barnyard and mud with some pleasant notes of fruits and lemony acidity. The funkiness gets more pronounced after a while.

T: The taste is tart and refreshing with a decent amount of funk. Pleasant notes of sour fruits and berries. Hints of oak and grass. The finish is mildly bitter and nicely dry with a faint hint of minerals. Very good.

M: Moderate body, medium levels of carbonation.

D: Good. Very refreshing and fairly complex.

3.97/5  rDev -5.7%

Purchased a 375ml of this from Capone's for my second tasting of this beer. Enjoyed it the first time but only had about four ounces and figured I needed to give it another shot.

Appearance- To be honest, this is about the only place I found this beer slightly lacking, though perhaps it is because I had Duck Duck Gooze and Gueuze Girardin 1882 Unfiltered prior. When I poured this one, I feared it was going to be completely flat. However, after getting the bottle completely vertical to finish the pour, I managed to get a very thin (maybe quarter-finger) fizzy head that died out very quickly. Body itself however was a nice golden with some very mild carbonation actually beading up.

Smell- Lots of funk and acrid leather/barnyard off the nose. Tart smelling, but more along the lines of tart green grapes and unripe pear than what I would describe as green apple tartness. Quite nice and a little less aggressive than I was expecting.

Taste- Similar to the Girardin, I found this gueuze to forefront the funk. Lots of tart funkiness and barnyard first before I notice the fruitiness, which I found to be along the lines of the nose-white grapes and lemon zest primarily. More mouthpuckering than I thought it was going to be, but overall very good.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Carbonation was a touch low but better than I thought it was going to be. Fairly spot on for the style. Drinkability was pretty solid as well.

Overall, pretty good, though not quite at the level as the other gueuze I've had recently. Definitely recommend it though.

3.97/5  rDev -5.7%

Pale golden appearance, slightly hazy but uniform and bright. Middling head, flat and pale, spreads out in an open chalice. Minimal lacing, some small marks and dots. Very tart aroma, quite astringent without the cheesiness of some. Light body and plenty of active fizziness. Good puckering flavor qualities, slicing acidity and sourness. Moderate sense of Brett for me, I kind of missed a bit more yeastiness in this bottle. Still, no sweet pretender to the style, nice and in-your-face overall.

My first Gueze. Wow.

Wow.

I'm suprised, I like it. The taste seems to consist of sauerkraut, oak, and wheat. I really like it. I could actually see myself craving a beer of this sort. Very unusual.

The mouthfeel was also a pleasant suprise. Round and full, with the bubbles taking the edge off the sourness.

It definately tastes better cold, though. As it warms it starts to take on malt vinegar notes which I can't say I'm fond of.

A good brew, I'm shocked.

3.97/5  rDev -5.7%

Golden honey color with decent, doughy, single-finger head. For first pour head dissipates with moderate speed. Carbonation is decent and quick, as is lacing. Second pour has a little more staying power. Yeasty wisps are good touch for first pour; this has some life in it.

Haven't had a Gueuze other than Girardin Black Label in quite a while - this nose is solid with the really thick, acidic barnyard scent. So thick there's a little salty toast in there. Absolutely electric with saltiness, and just about as dry as can be.

Speaking of electric, the first sip of this gave off such a pucker that it caused me to cringe a little bit. At first blush this is straight sourness - maybe a little metallic note as well. Tight, tight, tight. Let's see what it does with some warmth...softens to a certain extent to reveal a little more hay/grain huskiness. Still, great acidic sourness that's expected from a Gueuze.

Palate feel is tight as mentioned. It's admittedly a little harsh from the abundance of acidity - I can almost feel this burning a whole in my stomach. Still, it's a good pain. You know, like bench-pressing a Cooper Mini for about 30 reps and how you feel a couple of days later. It actually calms down after a bit but I can feel this eating away the enamel on my teeth, which precludes supreme palate feel.

Overall impression is that this is a very well-constructed Gueuze that is true to its style. Warmth helps soften the acidity a great deal to where it becomes much less harsh and the huskier barnyard/horse blanket aromas emerge. Still a bit more acidic than other Gueuze examples I recall, but a very good effort nonetheless.

3.97/5  rDev -5.7%

So this is what a gueuze is? My first. I can say that I liked it but I don't really know if it's my style. Smell is, uh, sourkraut? Tastes a lot like champagne but with more of an earthy, yeasty flavor to it. Very tart and somewhat sour, but it seems like the sour flavor is held back a little and can't quite come out all the way. Finish is super dry. A good beer to have, but only on certain occassions.

750mL 2009 bottle served into a tulip glass

Pours a murky goldenrod color, like a stoneground mustard almost. Maybe half a finger of white head at most.

Unlike my favorite shelf gueuze (Cantillon Classic Gueuze), the nose on Hanssens Oude Gueuze is much less funky. The sheer tartness is the dominant aroma: waves of lemon juice and white vinegar. You can pick up on wheat malt, and some of the oak (but not too much). And there is a bit of funk -- more on the ends of a musty/mildewy basement type aroma; cobwebs and water-stained paper.

The taste follows the nose. This is an incredibly sour beer. Lemon juice and vinegar and fermented citrus and etc. Trace elements of Brett funk are present in the form of sweat and decaying plant life. Astringent oak tannins attack your cheeks, priming them for the burn of the beer's acidity.

It's tasty. Not all that complex, as the Brettanomyces doesn't hold up to the sourness here. But tasty. I'd never turn down a bottle of this gueuze, but I prefer a funkier beer.

3.97/5  rDev -5.7%

A - A slightly hazy orangey golden colour with a few centimetres of white head that falls fairly quickly. Minimal lace is left.
S - Musty & earthy as well as tart green apple note.
T - A lot of mustiness as well as a full on tart apple flavour with a a slight grainy hint.
M - Fairly light bodied, high carbonation. Quite a tart mouthfeel but not too full on.
D - Not something I'd drink heaps of but I'd definately drink this again.

3.97/5  rDev -5.7%

On cask at res ale house.

A- no head upon arrival on top of a on top of a slightly hazy golden yellow orange brew.

S- lots of preserves lemons and funky funky wood. A bit floral with a touch honey like sweetness. Kinda smell like rotten lemon juice but in a good way if you can dig.

T- extremely tart and sour right out of the gate, so much so that your taken aback by it. After the open you get some very funky wet wood and some spoiled vegetation. Lots of lemons juice and just the faintest hint of a honey sweetness from the malts.

M- just about medium in body and completely still. Huge massive ass ripping pucker and almost a sting at the back of the mouth.

O- well its super interesting and wild as all get out but so damn funky and rotty that you lose some of the subtle complexity of the bottled version.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours golden amber with a large white head that thins out fairly quickly. No lacing.

Very nice grassy aroma. Musty basement, citrus, wet hay, woody, and typical farmy aroma but not so aggressive. Tart with a subtle sweetness in the background

Sour upfront finishing with funk and some sweetness. The sourness is a bit one-dimensional and not quite as dry as I'd like. Still refreshing. The beer might be a bit too young.

Biting but not too highly carbonated. Some bitterness and sweetness sticks around in the finish.

A nice gueuze, but a bit one dimensional and not quite dry and carbonated enough.

3.95/5  rDev -6.2%

Served from a bottle with no indication of date other than the letter D marked....

Appearance: Hazy golden yellow with some clearness. Not completely filtered. Fingers worth of head dissipates quickly but reappears when agitated. Only a couple small streams of carbonation from the bottom of the glass.

Smell: Notes of vinegar, tart apples, apple skin (granny smith), a little bit of citrus (orange/grapefruit).

Taste: Wow, thats sour. Still getting used to these things. Definitely tart fruits, apples, maybe some cherry notes. Minimal carbonation, leaves the mouth kind of desiring something.

Mouthfeel - Loud at first and then dissipating at the end, with a smooth/soft aftertaste (probably carbonation related). Gains some body as it warms.

Drinkability - Moderate, due to sourness/acidity. Nice sour, but I think I prefer the Cuvee Rene...

3.95/5  rDev -6.2%

Poured from a 375 ML bottle into a flute.

a - Pours a golden color with high carbonation evident. About half an inch of white head.

s - Lots of funk here. Also some tart, apples, pears, and little citrus.

t - Taste has a lot of tart, apples, pears, funk. Little bit like champagne or sparkling white wine with a kick.

m - Medium body with high carbonation that stings the tongue.

d - A very enjoyable lambic if you like tart and funk. Feels like champagne almost with a kick. Would try again.

3.93/5  rDev -6.7%

Really a beautiful color. Very deep deep golden color. Almost orange. Like a sunset in a glass really...awww.

WOW. That nose is grande. Huge granny smith apples. Very tart tart tart. Get some good funk notes. Nice horsey notes. Also get a nice candied sweetness. Really nice mix between the funk and the candy.

Really nice flavor. Definately get some granny smith apples big time. Not an agressive funk, a kind of nice mellow fruity funk. Very tart yes. Very very tart. Finishes kind of rough. Definately earthy in the finish. But also an interesting something in the finish. Not quite sure what it is. Almost plastic-y. Like I was gnawing on a plastic crate or something. Not quite right I don't think. Maybe that's the enterobacter!! Definately some citrus notes in the finish too. Pungent lemon or grapefruit rind for sure. Really incredibly complex.

Mouthfeel is good, but honestly not dry enough I don't think. It is a touch on the cloying side oddly enough for me. Kind of leaves this slime in my mouth.

Not sure I'll ever be able to give a hardcore gueuze anything higher than a 3 in the drinkability field. Unfortuntely...

3.93/5  rDev -6.7%

A: Warm glowing golden yellow with some vicious, lactic looking bubbles.

S: Whew, sour. Burns the nose : ) Almost lends an overly burnt toast smell at the end, maybe I should stop huffing this. I actually can't shake this burnt smell.

T: Interesting sour profile that seems to sit between an AWA and Cantillon gueuze, about 2/3 of the way toward the gueuze. Wasn't quite sure if the burnt flavor infiltrated the taste or not at first but it definitely does, it is however covered right up by the sourness for the most part.

M: Actually leaves nothing - quite remarkable for a style that literally erodes the parts of my body it comes into contact with.

O: The only thing that takes away from this brew is the odd burnt characteristic. Not my favorite Belgian sour by a mile, but it's highly available, ergo high five.

3.92/5  rDev -6.9%

Hazy golden orange color with a light white and relatively thing head.

Aroma is full of a lemony sourness that gets your mouth watering before you even take the first sip. A bit of a musty and spice note in the background.

Upfront it greets you with a citrus acidity and sweet juiciness like a glass of fresh orange juice. Not quite as puckering as some, but still plenty of sour to go around. Finishes with a bit of a musty and slightly woody note, especially once you pour the yeast in.

Mouthfeel is crisp but not as dry as some. Overall, an excellent queuze that comes across as a bit more well balanced than many others.

3.92/5  rDev -6.9%

Not sure of the vintage. Hazy, golden-orange pour, with a thin layer of white bubbles for a head, minimal lacing. In the nose, citrus and horseblankety Brett funk. In the taste, sour fruits, grassy funk, horseblanket, toasted grain, Champagne, with a crisp, dry finish. Gueuzey! Light-medium body, prickly carbonation. An enjoyable drink.

3.92/5  rDev -6.9%

Hmmm, so this is gueuze (and the first real lambic I've had). 375 mL bottle, corked and caged with no freshness date, but it's aged for three years before they even distribute it, so not sure how much it matters. Pours a fairly clear gold with 1 inch of off white head that tries to lace the flute. Smells of various plants and animals, dung, leather, rotting fruit?, mustiness, and other qualities I can't name. Just from the aroma you can visualize the fields and musty barns that must be near the brewery. It has a medium body that is quite dry and tingly, staying carbonated forever. The flavor is sour, musty, tart, with an acidic bitterness and some of the aroma's scents coming through, but none of the sweetness that it may have hinted at, and few, if any, hops. An interesting style, but the pronounced sourness lowers the drinkability for me, though I would imagine it's more drinkable when balanced by sweetness as in fruit lambics. I will, however, keep looking for other examples of the style.

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

Clear gold with a bubbly white head. Head fades quickly to nothing but from what I hear tell that's typical of the style.

Smells funky, tart and like my kitchen sink - organic lemon dish soap and steel. I've read a lot of reviews about people who love the aroma - you can come sniff my sink anytime you like. Pepper, woody cellar must and burnt corn sugar.

It's tart but not too much of a puckerfrest. Steely artisan mineral water and granny smith apple. Low carbonation.

I'm not too familiar with the style so based on popular opinion I'm going to believe it's good.

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

I poured this from a 750ml corked and caged green bottle into a stemmed wineglass.

A= This ale poured a bright orange-ish yellow/straw color with a very minimal head of white fizz that disappeared almost immediately. Clarity was on the hazy side, but not overly cloudy.

S= I smelled a lot going on in this one. The acetic sourness was very evident in the nose with some vinegar while it was complemented by oak, citrus, brett, a musty cork like character often found in Biere de Garde.

T= Similar to the nose but with even more sourness than expected. Starts off with a kiss of fruit and citric acid, followed by much deeper tart/sour flavors of vinegar, and barnyard/brett funk. Finish is almost beyond bone dry.

MF= Light bodied, effervescent, and puckeringly dry.

D= This hits all of the right notes for an outstanding Geueze, but for some reason I found it lacking. I think the acetic/vinegar sourness was just a bit out of balance with the rest of the flavors. Still an outstanding beer, but this vintage was not as great as others I have had...

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

Flavour: Tart- very tart. Reminds me quite a bit of crab apples. With such a little head as was present, could be mistaken for a tart cider rather than a beer. There is no discernible flavor of hops and little of malt; the lambic nature shines through without subtlety. Certainly a one-bottle and done variety or, were one open to suggestions, a superior digestif.

3.89/5  rDev -7.6%

750ml bottle. Pours a hazy orange-yellow color with a frothy, off-white head, good lacing. Aroma is vinegar, wood, musty and grapefruit. Flavor is sour, acidic, vinegar, wood, earthy and citrus (grapefruit). Mouthfeel is light, sour, flat and a bit watery. Good beer.

Oude Gueuze from Hanssens Artisanaal bvba