Hanssens Experimental Raspberry | Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Hanssens Experimental RaspberryHanssens Experimental Raspberry

Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Ale fermented with raspberries and matured in oak barrels.

Added by brownbeer on 09-24-2009

3.4

Reviews: 111 | Ratings: 242
4.52/5  rDev +32.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bright orange, candy like color. No head nor lacing. Fine floating yeast adds a translucent depth.

Acidic, vinigarette aroma. Lots of fresh raspberries with a brilliantly blended wild yeast funk.

Flavor is pretty sour. Mouth is watering a bit. Raspberries compliment the acidic qualities perfectly and add just a hint of sweetness. Getting just a hint of wood. Funk in the end but not overbearing. Finishes with sweet raspberry alternating with mouthwatering acetic acid. Absolutely wonderful.

Medium bodied. Dry feel. Low carbonation. Clean finish leaves me thirsty.

Absolutely delicious lambic, probably the best I've had of the style. I love the intense acidity coupled with fruit flavors. Not sure why this got average reviews.

4.48/5  rDev +31.8%

The pink is spectacular here. The smallest bubbles I have ever seen. This appearance is def. a 5.
Smell is sour berry and berry skin with sugar cherry wafers. The malt is wonderful here.
Taste is cherry/raspberry and I mean a real strong sour berry flavor. Then the sugar comes in just barely coming into play.
Sour wins.
Mouthfeel is sticky for sure. As sour as this is, there is a lot of sugar making this very sticky.
Drinkability is only as good as the availability of this beer.

4.47/5  rDev +31.5%

very still, so no head sits on top of the fairly clear raspberry red. nose is sour tart acid that comes off to me as lemon and raspberry with a touch of wild and a touch of wood. wish i could wait a few years to drink this one. the wild is just coming out, and the barn and funk aren't quite pronounced enough for me yet. taste is very tart with ripe-fruit sweetness (which i imagine would be eaten up with some aging?) holding it together and rounding it out. nice, slick, light, soft mouthfeel with a long finish and no unpleasant aftertastes. really not what i was expecting, but i think it's mind-blowingly good nonetheless. if only these beers were easier to come by... my favorite lambic producer right now.

4.39/5  rDev +29.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Hanssens Lambic Experimental Raspberry

From lot A

Appearance: rosé colored, no head, and almost no lacing.

Smell: raspberries, oak, and a barnyard lambic funkiness.

Taste: raspberries, faint oak, and an acidic sourness.

Mouthfeel: medium and no carbonation.

Overall:
This is a nice experiment. I like the way the oak and raspberries mesh. The flavor is interesting and will appeal to sour lovers.

4.37/5  rDev +28.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

375ml corked and caged bottle drank from my duvel tulip. bottle reads "lot a." thats all the bottling information that i can find.

A- the cork comes out with barely a pop. this is going to be a pretty still pour. sure enough, there is little to no head on top of the reddish pink colored body that is translucent. there is no head left behind.

S- the nose is alive with the scent of fresh raspberries. nothing artificial about this. very sweet with a sharp lactic sourness. a little bit of underlying barnyard like funk.

T- the taste starts out with more of the fresh raspberries that i could smell. very fresh, juicy, and real tasting. there is a sharp lactic sourness that hits after that. its not quite as powerful as the smell would indicate, but its stronger than your average framboise. the barnyard like funk that i could smell comes through a little bit in the taste as well.

M- the beer is still. no carbonation at all. the body is a solid medium. its puckering, but not overpowering. very dry finish.

O- this is something id like to try again, and i think ill grab a couple to age. this is probably the best raspberry lambic that i have had. check this one out.

4.32/5  rDev +27.1%

Appearance: Nearly clear and brilliant ruby cranberry red

Smell: Incredible sourness full of raspberries, lemon juice, funk, vinegar, and vanilla

Taste: This one is just incredibly sour; perhaps one of the most sour beers I have ever tasted; loaded with lemon juice and vinegar acidic sourness with raspberries, vinegar, and maybe even some brown sugar in the background

Mouthfeel: light bodied; low carbonation

Drinkability: I really enjoyed this one but you just can't overstate the sourness; this is the only sour beer to have ever given me slight heartburn.

4.25/5  rDev +25%

375ml. that I cellaring for over a year now. I've heard of a few different labels. This one is a cottoncandy-purple-ish color border with purple writing. Lotnr: A. With a green cage. served cellar temp @ 58°F.

Mind carbonation. Strawberry-orange color - really beautiful. No head at any point. Smells intensely of brettanomyces and lactic acid. Hints of bright raspberry which come through more once the carbonation dies down. Oak doesn't come across in smell. My immediate reaction is to the bone dry and super tart mouthfeel. Wide range of flavors from diverse microbia. I get a hint of vinegar, but it doesn't bother me much. Raspberries balance out the intense acidity. Fruity aftertaste is great. At first it was a bit harsh on the mouthfeel, but it mellowed out after letting it sit for a moment. Most likely an older barrel, very flavorful yeast and bacteria character, with little wood flavor. I enjoy this beer. Embarrassingly expensive, but a pleasure to have tried.

*Lambics are traditionally uncarbonated.

4.22/5  rDev +24.1%

375mL corked and caged bottle poured into a stemmed glass
(A)- Pours a pale blush pink color with minimal froth
(S)- Big tartness with tart raspberries. Not overly funky, but some light earthy hay that works well with the tartness and fruit
(T)- Big acidity meets soft raspberry fruits and subtle earthy hay. Finishes dry
(M)- A great carbonation level and balance. It has the right amount of acidity and fruit without being overpowering. Not overly funky but some good dryness
(O)- Quite good. Normally I find Hanssens to be big on the funk, but this has a great balance and fruit profile to it

4.22/5  rDev +24.1%

Enjoyed a 12.7 FL.OZ. bottle of this w/ Chris F. from Grand Teton in St. Paul, MN (priced @ $15). Poured from the green bottle w/ the "map" having pink around it into a 12oz Wine Glass. Has Lotnr: B (stamped on the side).

Aroma- Strongest sour and barnyard aroma I've smelt in a while! Has a nice raspberry finish on the nose as well.

Appearance- Pours no head, so no retention.. duh. Has a nice White Zin colored body that is clear and doesn't leave any retention behind. Can tell the carbonation level was low from the pour.

Flavor- Very sweet but sour at the same time... Doesn't overpower you at the beginning but then wow! Intense! Has strong raspberry flavor throughout but the main character is the sour/acidity.

Mouthfeel- Light Bodied, No Carbonation at all, and then puckers the lips like nothing else! Actually, it starts on the tongue and then finds its way around your entire mouth until you can almost not handle it! Appreciate what this one involves.

Overall Impression- Great sour! This is my second brew from Hanssens and a big fan! Go for this one if available and you enjoy Lambics w/ fruit added in. Cheers!

4.17/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Cork comes out with a whimper, not surprising as this is a still lambic. Pours like rose wine, but a little more pink. Not *entirely* uncarbonated, but any bubbles to be had are of very minor effect. Not going to knock a still lambic on appearance, though.

Smell is of raspberry, and quite funky at that, with an undercurrent of dog poop and anaerobic muck soil at times. Gets more funky-smelling as it warms, adding plenty of musky barnyard to the mix. Smells gloriously natural, unadulterated. Really funk'd out...I think this is coming through much more now than in some of the earlier reviews of this beer.

It actually tastes just a little sweeter than I thought it would. Not sweet as in artificial fruit syrup added, but a very nice ripe-fruit sweetness that balances well with the considerable acidity you find here. I get a lot of raspberry here, probably more than I've gotten in more-highly-rated framboise examples. OK, it's not tremendously complicated - it's tart raspberry through and through with a little natural fruit sweetness to balance. It's just that the tart/sweet raspberry character here is so pleasant.

Limp body, not surprising for a lightly-carbed beer.

I'm a fan, but it would be hard to drink too much more of than this one bottle.

4.09/5  rDev +20.3%

Blind Beer #4 from Khazadum, with the text: "I hope by now you've forgiven me. This should make up for it..."

Corked and caged bottle, snifter/flute/tulip glassware recommendation... I shudder and instinctively head to the sink to open this one. Luckily the cage has the consumer in mind and actually wants to come off, and the bottle doesn't do it's best baking soda volcano impression. Phew. Into the Cantillon wine glass again.

A - I can't really say I've had a beer this color before. It's a dark, deep red, but has a cool sunburst of orange and brown to it as well. It's absolutely and completely still; I didn't get even the faintest hint of a head here. Likewise, no lacing here as a result. It sort of looks like apple cider with more red to it. Based on the appearance alone I'm narrowing this down to a lambic or gueuze (not really a bold statement.) (3.5/5)

S - I take a half-whiff and immediately change my guess to a gueuze. This is really damn sour and funky. Like, if you rode your horse 15 miles to visit your closest neighbor, that wouldn't come close to the barnyard farmhouse country I'm getting here. Lots of lemon and tart cherry and raspberries, and that sort of weird feet smell you somehow think of. My nose is puckering much like I anticipate my mouth will be. (4.5/5)

T - Yep, that's pretty damn sour. Surprisingly I'm getting a little bit of malt as well, but there's a good amount of Bretty yeast ready to take over soon thereafter. The lemon, citrus, and cherries bring a lot of the flavor, along with the souring bugs that made themselves at home in this beer. Again, very musty and has a damp characteristic to it. (4/5)

M - Mouthfeel is moderately light-bodied with almost no carbonation. I can see some bubbles sticking to the glass, but am not getting much in the mouth. Not incredibly dry, but has a crisp finish that's somewhat smooth. I can definitely feel the sides and corners of my mouth pucker long after this is gone. (4/5)

D/O - Drinkability is moderately high. I find it hard to rate the drinkability of lambics and gueuzes as a little bit goes a long way, but I really enjoyed drinking this one. The flavors are balanced but it still gives off a strong sour vibe. I'm digging this. (4/5)

I'm going to stick with my gut and pick gueuze for this. No idea on the brewery.

The reveal: Hanssens Lambic Experimental Raspberry. Again I'm surprised here. I did mention the slight raspberry in the taste but wouldn't have pegged this for a framboise.

Both of the lambics I had today totally eluded me on their 'primary' fruit components, so either they are more faint than I would've expected or I need to drink more lambics...

It seems Khazadum picked up on the fact that I'm slowly trying to break into sours, and he kicked my ass off the cliff in that regard so far!

4.06/5  rDev +19.4%

375ml
$12.49
West Lakeview

The cork comes free with zero pop, similar to the Experimental Cassis, and a hard pour produces a few wispy bubbles that disappear as quickly as they came. I'm left with a glass full of ruby red liquid and a razor thin wisp of a collar. The collar leaves behind some slippery particles of lacing that slide right back into the body.

As soon as I jam my nose in the glass I'm hit with nostril tingling raspberry vinegarette, heavy on the balsamic. The raspberry is explosive and each deep pull I take I notice melon undertones in line with cantaloupe and honeydew. The evident sourness in the nose gets my salivary glands working immediately. Underneath are slight notes of funkiness with some mild blue cheese and plastic being evident. The comparison to raspberry vinegarette is mind boggling and invades the nose.

The flavor is bursting with raspberry goodness as well. As a matter of fact the flavor profile mimics the nose to a tee. Ripe raspberry hits on the tip of the tongue before sliding into the vinegarette. Mid palate the vinegarette turns into sour, mouth puckering white vinegar. The finish smoothes out with the berry notes, raspberry, and the mild funkiness I mentioned in the aroma, minus the plastic. This is a pretty intensely sour, interesting lambic.

Although this beer is nearly still the mouthfeel still seems to hold up well. The body is fairly light and slightly oily with a prickly sourness that really bites on the back of the tongue. The sourness will make you pucker without a doubt. This is one of the more intensely sour beers I've had in a little while.

After the first few sips when my tastebuds adjust to the sourness this morphs into a pretty refreshing lambic. The light body and puckering tartness keep the glass tilted while the expressive raspberry and melon qualities keep me coming back for more.

Hanssen's Experimental lambics are both of good quality. The raspberry is super expressive with the fruitiness and has a strong backbone of balsamic vinegar. I could easily see myself picking more of these up in the future if they make it back to Chicago.

4.05/5  rDev +19.1%

375ml bottle into a Drie Fonteinen wine-style glass.

A: The cork comes out without the slightest sound, and hence I'm unsurprised when the beer pours completely flat. The lightly hazy orange body would be nice enough for an unblended Lambic, but when there's fruit involved I expect some carbonation. Disappointing.

S: Hugely acidic: tart raspberry, lemon, peach, vinegar, acetone (yes, solvent - I like it), oak. The various types of acids are all so powerful that there isn't much room for yeasty funk, but it's so complexly sour and fruity that I don't really mind. Some might legitimately fault it for the acetic acid and acetone, but I consider those part of the Hanssens charm. Beautifully offensive.

T: A little less crazy here, with deliciously puckering citric acid causing my mouth to pucker and my entire body to shiver. The raspberry is only faintly present, with lemon and unripe pear being the more prominent fruit flavors. A bit of acetic oak shows up on the finish, with the oak lending a bit of vanilla sweetness that offsets (slightly) the vinegary and fruity tartness. Long, dry, almost numbingly sour aftertaste. My mouth feels physically assaulted, like I just put one too many warheads in there at once on a dare. Wow.

M: Totally still, slightly oily, and medium-bodied. A bit of life would go a long way.

O: While this one was a bit more straightforward in its outrageous sourness than, say, Oudbeitje, and decidedly less fruit-forward than Scarenbecca Kriek, I liked it just as much as those. I'm not sure I'll be buying any more (it's more expensive than the regular Hanssens Oude Gueuze, and I like that beer every bit as much), but I'm certainly glad I decided to make the experiment.

Cheers!

4.04/5  rDev +18.8%

A- slightly hazy, a blend between yellow from the malts and purple from the raspberries. No head to be seen.

S- smells very sour, only the slightest hint of berries afterwards.

T- This may be one of the more sour beers I have have from Hanssens. First a slight hint of the raspberries, then the rush of the lactic acid as it goes to the back of the tongue. Honestly reminds me of the syrup from slushies I used to drink as a kid.

M- very thin, drinks like a white wine.

O- A very enjoyable lambic, the fruit is not as present as found in other Hanssens varieties such as their Kreiks, but holds it's own in the sour department.

4.04/5  rDev +18.8%

A bottle split with friends.

A- no head from this unblended lambic. Crystal clear bright pink in color.

S- huge sour rasberries and funky oak. Lemon juice and zest.

T- super tart and sour with under ripe raspberries and lemon juice. Really one of the most sour beers I've ever had. very mild oak character and a hint of sweet wheat.

M- on the thinner side of body and not a bubble to be seen. Long lasting pucker that's so powerful your asshole will hurt.

D- well a few onces is plenty to get the idea and a few more will change your life. Wild stuff and a hell of an experience.

3.99/5  rDev +17.4%

Poured from a 375ml bottle dated March 2013 into a wine glass
A: Reddish-orange, completely still
S: Cheesy, funky, a hint of raspberry/sour cherry, earthy, barnyard. Complex but kinda weird
T: A bit more fruit-forward than the nose. Adds citrus and sour green apple. Also adds a touch of oak influence. Still a bit of that funky cheesy though not as much earth/barnyard
M: Light-bodied, no carbonation, extremely sour (but that makes it mouthwatering)
O: I like this though I can see why it has such a discrepancy in scores. Definitely not for everyone and given the price not sure how readily I'd get it again. Definitely worth a try

3.99/5  rDev +17.4%

Bottled in March of 2013. Thanks, notches on the label!

It's hazy, golden orange, small head of foam that shrinks ever so quickly. Yet, the lacing is decent.

Sour nose, to be sure. Mixed with the oak; I cannot say what the source of the sourness is from without reading the label. Raspberries, eh?

Very sour taste, noticeable oak flavour, fruit wise, again, I could not for the life of me, identify it. Tastes good though.

When it comes to Belgian sours, Hanssens is the only one to show up in Casper and I am thankful for that!!

3.97/5  rDev +16.8%

Weak pop from the cork, no bubbles in the bottle. Poured from a height of six inches to generate some foam. Large juice-like bubbles formed and dissipated after a couple minutes, leaving a minimal ring at the edge and a ghostly wisp of cobweb shaped skim across the surface. Sitting in the glass it looks like blood red cherry juice.

Holy acetobacter! Super acetic vinegary nose. Perceptible from a few feet away. Definite seedy raspberry aroma too, almost like a raspberry vinaigrette. Musty oak as it warms to room temperature. Traditional Hanssens lambic funk is lurking at the edges. Odd yet appealing.

Vinous, also very tart and vinegary, it puckers the cheeks and is felt on the sides of the tongue. Raspberry and a tidal wave of vinegar sourness. The drinkability takes a slight hit, and it could definitely use a few bubbles (though unblended lambic is traditionally flat, which this is). Otherwise it's interesting to try, and i'll be looking for future incarnations down the road.

3.97/5  rDev +16.8%

Bottle: Poured a reddish color lambic with almost no carbonation or foamy head. Aroma of sour raspberry with light notes of sweetness with medium barnyard notes is interesting and not as extreme as the cassis version. Taste is a refreshing mix between some tart raspberry notes with balanced sourness and some barnyard notes. Body is about average with almost no carbonation which was expected. This one is drinking very nice with a lot more balanced then the cassis version.

3.96/5  rDev +16.5%

A nice raspberry lambic. As it pours, the raspberry smell comes out. The raspberry blends well with the tart of the lambic. It is a "flat" lambic with little to no carbonation, but still quite good.

3.94/5  rDev +15.9%

Poured from a 12.7oz bottle into a Struise tulip.

A: The cork slid out quickly and silently. An angry pour netted not one bubble or hint of foam. Absolutely still. Clear, rosey-red with no hint of sediment.

S: Blast of red wine vinegar, sour raspberries, a touch of wood, and, like someone already mentioned, raspberry vinagrette.

T: Just as above with the additions of sour/puckery lemon, tart cherry, acetone, and as it comes to temp, a bit of funk and/or dirt.

M: Very prickly and acidic. Strips the tongue and leaves it feeling pretty raw. The finish hides a fleeting sense of sweetness right before another acidic wave.

D: A rather bracing lambic, for sure. If you like sour and acidic, then this is for you.

3.94/5  rDev +15.9%

A- pours an orange tinted amber color. No head to speak of just a bit of bubbles that form at the end of the pour. Very low fine soft carbonation.

S- Huge barnyard horseblanket funk aromas explode into the nose. Notes of wet hay and lactic acidity interwoven with a mellow oakiness. Finish is dry with a hint of iced tea and a kiss of raspberries with all the sugars fermented completely out.

T- big predomanatly oak and coating explosive funky flavors of horseblanket and musty wet hay with a hint of mint strikes your palate right ou of the gate. The raspberries are subtle and delicate but give a nice off set to the intense acidity. Finishs is oaky and funky.

MF- mouthfeel is slick and acidic with an imtensly dry finish. Low carbonation and a medium body.

D- not an incredibly drinkable lambic bit one that you will be glad to have tried.

3.91/5  rDev +15%

Marked Lotnr A; Sampled November 2010
Despite a hint of a pop when I pulled out the cork the beer pours quite flat, though it does manage to summon forth some larg bubbles. The beer is a pretty, almost brilliantly clear, light cranberry red color (my wife thinks this looks exactly like robitussin, and even smells something like it); I really like the color of this beer as it sits in my Lost Abbey Teku tulip. The beer smells of raspberry seeds (slightly tannic), secondarily raspberry pulp and a tart / sour finish. This is actually pretty clean smelling, and doesn't have enough acetic character to be noticed (unlike the first batch). There is a soft funkiness to this brew; a touch earthy, musty, perhaps a hint of acetone and a light musky, barnyard character towards the finish. Really the bright fruit character is the dominant note in the nose; it is quite nice, but without being so amped up as to seem fake or cloying.

Very still and flat tasting as it first hits my palate, the beer finishes with a spicy sourness that I usually associate with a touch of acetic acid character. There is still a very soft sweetness to this beer that accentuates the raspberry fruit flavors that are found in this beer; the raspberry notes are noticeable aren't quite as complex as in the nose as the seed / tannic character seems to be a bit reduced in the flavor. Still there is a solid fruitiness to the flavor that has a bright berry character to it and there is some chewy raspberry skin character here too. Up front the raspberries and lactic acid contribute a soft tartness, the finish does get a touch more tart, but this is still not an aggressively sour Lambic by any means. Light textured and quaffable, this beer does have a touch of viscousness to it that keeps this from seeming overly flat on the palate

This is exceedingly quaffable, and the mid 50*F serving temperature was about perfect. I would like to see a carbonated Framboise version of this beer as I think the fizz would add a nice complimentary texture and would likely boost the aroma and flavor of this beer. This could certainly use some more funkiness, I do like the light touch of the acetic character (it is just barely there), but some more wild, funkiness would be much appreciate. Still, this is a beer that grows on me more as I work my way through my glass.

3.87/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12.7oz from a generous trader.. thanks! Into goblet.

A- Rosy pink/brown, some bubbles but no lasting head.

S- Holy shit.. vinegar. Sour, tart, fruity as well.. Way beyond what one thinks they're getting into. This thing is potent. Acidic.

T- Abrasive. Scouring. Tart, sour, puckering, very extreme. Fruity after the first initial shock.

M- Wow... heart-burn in a bottle... so acidic. Almost caustic. Burns the back of my throat. Not particularly pleasant, yet I keep drinking it..

D- Um.. I really liked it. Not easy to drink, but enjoyable nevertheless. Really interesting.. strap yourself in though. Not for everyone, hell, not for most. I'm diggin' it though.

3.83/5  rDev +12.6%

Poured into snifter. Not sure on the year, it just says Lot B.

Appearance is orange-amber in color with a tinge of redness to it, not much of a head showing up so the carbonation is obviously very low. This is not to knock it though as some would - at least according to the BJCP, real lambics are supposed to be uncarbonated.

Aroma is definitely acidic mainly with a strong oak note and an even stronger musty, dusty character. It is however lacking any real raspberry character to me. A bit one dimensional I'd say, but seems quite appropriate for a lambic.

Taste is quite interesting. Initially it is a sweet/sour sensation and upon swallowing an odd funky musty character blasts the tongue, in a good way. Leaves me feeling like a just licked a dusty wooden plank in the brewery, again in a good way.

Mouthfeel is not bad despite the low carbonation, it actually makes it quite soft and I think it really brings the brewery character right to the forefront.

I enjoyed this beer quite a bit. It's very unique and it will be quite hard for some to appreciate these wonderful characteristics.

Hanssens Experimental Raspberry from Hanssens Artisanaal bvba