Oudbeitje Lambic | Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Oudbeitje LambicOudbeitje Lambic
3.74/5
Good
Oudbeitje LambicOudbeitje Lambic

Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Style: Belgian Fruit Lambic

None provided.

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 247 | Ratings: 508
Reviews by Georgiabeer:
4.32/5  rDev +15.5%

Thought this might be sweeter than it was- glad to see that it wasn't and I should have trusted this brewery not to release one of the sugary fake lambics that seem so popular. This is probably the only strawberry lambic I've ever had. Poured a murky golden with no head or carbonation. Not unusual in a real lambic. Aromas of light, sweet strawberry up front, followed by a nice mellow sourness and some funky barnyard smells. Classic. The taste is similar- sweet strawberry turns to sour funk while in the mouth with the typical slightlt bitter taste of damp hay and horseblanket right at the end. The mouthfeel is still, smooth, and even a bit creamy- nice trick, that. Quite decent if not quite transcendant. I'd definitely have another.

3.22/5  rDev -13.9%

Bottled Feb 2013
Poured with no head a murky orange
Smell is quite sour and fruity with a little vinegar
Taste was very disappointing. like burnt popcorn soaked in vinegar.
Mouthfeel was alright, although completely flat

3.9/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

12.7 fl oz green glass (ugh...) bottle with hood-and-wire cap (aka cage) over a branded cork acquired at Argonaut Liquor and served into a slender stem-tulip in me parents' gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given the brewery. Reviewed as a lambic because the label identifies it as such. 6% ABV confirmed. "Ale brewed with strawberries."

Served cold - straight from the fridge - and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it pours.

Pours no head whatsoever - just a weak floater ring of white colour.

Body colour is a cloudy peach-copper of average vibrance. Translucent. Quasitransparent. No floating yeast particles are visible. Appears adequately carbonated.

Overall, it's not unique or special but I find it rather inviting. There are no egregious flaws here. I'm looking forward to trying it.

Sm: Definite strawberry notes are noticeable and abundant. Also some peach and maybe some apricot. Has a nice lambic yeast-induced tart sourness. There's also some lactobacillus bacterial sourness. The fruitiness is fantastic. Any malts are so seamlessly integrated as to not be noticeable. Some floral and fruity hop character complements the overall aroma nicely. No alcohol presence is noticeable.

A pleasant, inviting fruit-dominant aroma of moderate strength.

I don't notice any off-notes. This is shaping up to be pretty good stuff.

T: Hm; structurally it's almost a disaster, with all the fruity notes packed right up front and on the open, and all the sourness harshly contained to the backend. It's not an even transition by any means. The sweetness up front yields immediately to the bacterial and wild lambicus yeast sourness - a sourness which is aggressive and unforgiving. Luckily for me, I love that bold sourness in a lambic. The fruity notes up front match those encountered in the aroma - peach, strawberry, and apricot. Tame timid floral and fruity hop notes complement the fruit nicely.

Not much malt presence here. No alcohol presence is noticeable.

Certainly imbalanced structurally, but as divisive as the structure is I still like the flavour profile. Not at all cohesive or gestalt, but very likable. Good complexity. Not much subtle or intricacy, but the fruity end showcases some surprising nuance. The strawberry never feels artificial (as it tends to in most beers). Above average depth, duration, and intensity of flavour. I suppose it's puckerworthy.

If Cascade Kriek is a 10 on the sour scale, this is about an 8.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Acidic and soft. Well-carbonated. Medium-bodied. Quenching and refreshing. Has that fantastic smacky sour feel on the palate. Chewy. A bit too thin. Complements the flavour profile well and fits neatly within style conventions.

Not oily, tannic, astringent, boozy, or hot.

Dr: Extremely drinkable. I'll make short work of this bottle. Another damn solid sour from Hanssens. I wouldn't get it again at this price point here in the states, but I'd happily throw a couple in the cellar if I could get it at Belgian prices. It executes strawberry surprisingly well and I'd recommend friends try it at least once. Perhaps a bit simple for a lambic, but it'll definitely satisfy any sour lover's itch. Give this one a spin. You'll murder it inside 5 minutes. I know I did.

B+

3.8/5  rDev +1.6%

like nothing else on the market, one of the best uses of strawberries I have ever come across. pours dense and golden, pushing brassy, with some more sediment as the bottle gets low. literally no head or bubbles at all, completely still, not totally appealing to be honest, but I trust its sourness right away. as soon as the cork is off, this beer starts emitting tartness and funky sour all over the shop. I can smell it in my jawline, a mouthwatering brew here, with unripe fruit and lacto notes, as well as some oak, complex and just so damn sour, consecration style. the taste comes in two waves. the first is a berry, but not specifically strawberry tartness, fresh and addicting, sour of course, but not as pucker as the nose. some wheat malt and long fermentation characteristics are evident, as well as an acidity that is quite intense. the second wave, after a second or so pause, is a full bore watery mouth, salivation and drool from the sourness finally catches up with me, its about as much as my palate can handle. like strawberries that are still pink and white, although if I didn't know it, im not sure I would have been able to say strawberry specifically. I hate that its still though, it needs bubbles to percolate this into my palate, and its obviously missing. it needs to move, and it stagnates. still, the acidity is enough to make it finish quickly and drink easy enough. one of the more sour beers ive had, and a great use of fresh fruit. expensive but worth it to try.

3.77/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Served from a corked and caged 375ml bottle into a Hill Farmstead stemmed tulip. Served at cellar temps.

Appearance- Beautiful golden/orange with zero head and no bubbles bouncing around the glass. Absolutely beautiful color.

Smell- So funky. Asparagus, fresh cut wet grass, some fruit, but I can't determine if its strawberries or not. Lemon acidity takes over the rest of the lingering funky smell. Truly the funkiest beer I've smelled to date.

Taste- Herbaceous, piney, vanilla oak flavors, lemon rind, and very light strawberry at the end. Lingering vinegar acidic flavors. Much more earthy than fruity. Would be better with some carbonation.

Mouthfeel- Still with no carbonation. Moderate body. Sour puckering mouthfeel and lingering mild acidity. Mouth cleansing.

Overall- I can't get into the sours without carbonation. This is the second I've had and I doubt I'll try anymore. Taste was great, but it needs bubbles.

3.83/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Enjoyed out of a 375 mL green bottle with a cork and cage with a bright red cap. Poured into a Boulevard Smokestack Series tulip glass.

Appearance - Pours a hazy amber golden hue with darker brass shadows and a spun gold highlight where the light refracts through the glass. Atop the body sits a wimpy eight-finger head that dissipates before it even really grows into anything. It quickly settles as a lazy ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass. For what little there it, the color appears to be off white.

Smell - Pretty forward with notes of the strawberry that is pictured on the label. A slight pinch of sour with sweetness, much like a strawberry tart with notes of rhubarb. There is also considerable funk and mustiness like the tart has sat out a bit too long and just barely started to develop that twinge of spoilage. It's hard to explain, but it doesn't smell moldy or rotten--just strongly influenced by wild bacteria and funky yeast.

Taste - Here the distinctive strawberry notes seem to fade back, pushed out of the way by a strong puckering acidity reminiscent of sour candy, but not quite as sweet. That same musty funk is still present, with now a bit more definition revealing itself as woody oak and vinegar. I was really impressed by the smell, as strange as it was, but the taste is too one note. I love a good sour, but this one is sour enough that you really don't get much else. A little time warming up allows the fruity phenols to show through, but it doesn't get any less tart.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied and low carbonation with just barely enough tingly sensations to avoid feeling flat to the tongue.

Overall, an interesting take on the lambic style, as most fruit lambics either stick to some old standbys--cherries, raspberries, blackberries, etc.--or they are sugary sweet messes a la Lindeman's. I'm not sure I would buy this particular Hanssens again, but this is another beer that shows that they seem to know their way around a sour beer or three.

3.59/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2013 vintage

pours pretty still, like no head ever even when i tried. golden orange, bit of burnt orange.

light strawberry is apparent. sour must and funk.

starts out sour, with a subtle sweetness. as the sourness fades the malty body and fresh strawberry begin to pop out. light oak in the finish.

dead flat, a bit oily.

pretty good, the strawberry may be one of my least favorite fruits used in lambic but its interesting and different. i would drink this again, but only here and there.

3.81/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a semi-cloudy golden with an orange tinge. No head or carbonation. Not a good looking beer. Oddly enough, the aroma is of very natural strawberries and the sour of lambic. First flush of flavor is SOUR. It's musty, it's barnyard (whatever that is- I can't say, but it is as good a word as any), but you know what? This stuff is wonderful. It's like biting into an unripe, tart strawberry. This is the real strawberry, not artifical, not syrupy, not anything but good stuff. It makes this very cool.

It is good, very interesting, but to be honest, not something I would want more than once in a long while.

3.38/5  rDev -9.6%

The smell of strawberries spreads around the room when I opened the champagne-style cork.

The liquid is opaque. The colour is an odd semi-bright beige-red-orange one that I have never seen before. There is no head at all.

The smell is a blend of sweet strawberries (both wild and the usual ones) jam and earthy notes of vinegar/iodine. As one could have expected… Maybe a little bit too candy-like for me.

The taste got nothing to do with sweets or artificial flavouring! It is dominated by a powerful dry sourness with some gentle notes of red berries. There are also iodine and minerals, malt vinegar, malic acid and bitter herbs. Yes, it is very sour! The aftertaste is tenderer wit sour mineral notes and a fine, growing natural taste of matured strawberries.

The carbonation is mild with some gentle small bubbles. I had thought that it should have been much stronger.

A tricky fruit lambic; The fruit is all there, but the dominant sourness is just a little too much in this beer. Don’t get me wrong, I like lambics and geuezes, but this one just wasn’t balanced the way I like it.

3.86/5  rDev +3.2%

A: Medium Gold color with minimal white head.

S: Belgian Funk with maybe the slightest strawberry aroma.

T: Upfront puckering sour followed by tart unripened strawberries. Some vinegar/acidity also makes it's presence felt. Finishes dry.

M: Medium body with the slightest bit of carbonation.

D: Puckering sour with tart strawberry works for my tastes. Fair warning to those who like more moderate sours; there is no sweetness in this one. it disappeared from my glass too quickly.

I will be getting this again.

3.9/5  rDev +4.3%

Wow. Talk about unique.

Uncaging and uncorking this bottle of limited-edition year 2006 Oudbeitje Lambic reveals wild. Wild, wild, wild. And wild!

Smell: Wild. Want to know what wild fermentation smells like? Phew. FUNK. Sour, slightly metallic, barnyard, and so on. I'm judging on style, not necessarily on what may or may not appeal to me. That's for sure.

Pours a cloudy honey color, no real head to speak of.

Taste is a puckering sour. Sharp, sour, stables, a day at the zoo. Again, this is a style call. It's fairly extreme -- or somewhat painful. Mouthfeel follows the flavor around, and there's no carbonation to be found in this tart razor of a concoction.

So, there's an illustration on the label of some strawberries. Where the hell are they? You'll find them tucked away in the aftertaste. After the dead, chemical rot presence fades, you're left with strawberry. Such a strange ending to a very strange drink.

This is a once in a blue moon brew. I couldn't imagine approaching this more than a couple times a year.

4.13/5  rDev +10.4%

This beer pours a straw yellow color with a few buboes around the edge it is nearly still. The nose is funky tart apples slightly sour. The flavor follows suit with a good bit of sourness but nothing over the top the strawberry flavor is noticeable. The mouthfeel is light slightly Puckering and barely any carbonation just like a true lambic. I would definitely recommend this one to any one who wants to try sours that are not to off putting.

3.72/5  rDev -0.5%

12.7 ounce bottle. Limited edition year 2000. The corked opened without a sound. This beer has a mostly clear copper color with no head. There is a single chunk of something floating around near the bottom of my glass. Sour, slightly funky aroma with strawberries. The flavor is sharp and acidic with just a subtle hint of strawberries. Mostly sour, but a little sweet too. Tastes great, but the acidity is challenging. The only fault of this beer is the entirely flat body. I feared that the fruit would be overpowering in this beer, but it turned out to be a mighty tasty lambic with a hint of strawberries.

3.99/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured into a Stillwater wine glass. First thing, this beer is still, no carbonation, no head, no lacing, that was unexpected. It's yellow and hazy, almost orange.

Beer smells acetic and oaky, funky and harsh. Its like hay and awesomeness rolled in funk.

Beer is super tart and really sour on the finish. There is a dirty blanket after taste and this odd sourness that sticks to my gums. The aftertaste is overwhelming. Hard to process. I think I might be blind. This is about the most sour thing I've ever tasted. There is a shadow of woody oak that reaches out of the back of my throat and tries to strangle me. Beer is also thicker than I thought it would be but still finishes really dry. The second drink was much better than the first. Its mellowing and growing on me. Strawberries? Really? I don't think so. This is like a harsh, sour, tart, unblended, flat lambic. I like it.

3.92/5  rDev +4.8%

4.48/5  rDev +19.8%

Presentation: Red cork and cage…unique. Cork clearly states “BrijHanssens Artisanaal Dworp.” Below that is a bunch of other writing that I can’t read. The warn label shows a picture of a strawberry plant and states “B. United International’s Masters’ Collection Limited Edition Pear 2000.” Perhaps they meant “Year 2000…” those drunken Belgians and their label typos… Oudbeitje Lambic.

The top of the bottle is really sticky and nasty. It smells like ass and strawberries. It is clear that there were two other labels on this bottle at some time that were removed and replaced with the current label… Mold is also present near the top of the bottle but it looks to be deceased. This was the last bottle at Discount in Milwaukee and at $5.49, I consider this seven year old beer a steal. Some liquid appears to have evaporated from this bottle. The liquid is nearly 3 inches from the top of the bottle, and now…it’s time to pour.

Pours into a champagne flute a pale yellow-brown, sort of mead like color, it that mead were a strawberry mead. There is absolutely no carbonation and no head. There are however lots of very minute particles floating in the liquid. They are barely visible.

Aroma is very pungent. There is a malodorous geuze scent that can be inhaled from a few feet away. This is specifically barnyard hay, horse hair, and rotten lemon juice. On closer examination, however, this drink is all strawberries, highly fermented, super sour, nasty strawberries, but strawberries none the less. There is even a sweetness in the air about this beer.

Taste: Holy Fahrvergnügen! This Shit is sour. Crap, my lips are permanently puckered. This is going to make kissing my girlfriend later a real problem. No wonder she hates it when I drink loads of geuze. Good thing she’s out of town till Friday. I’m going to need tow or three days to recover from this. Wow, this is so sour, I can hardly taste anything. I’ve had some pretty intense geuze before but this definitely takes the cake in terms of shear sourness. Somewhere in this brew, which is growing musty in terms of both smell and flavor as it warms, is a strawberry. Yep, I can taste the strawberries but they’re not ripe, sweet strawberries…they’re brown and nasty.

Oh, and what’s that? A spec of lace on my glass. Wow, there is actually some carbonation left in this beer. The least I’ve ever seen in a beer but a touch.

Back to the flavor. Mmm, it’s fun. There is a lot of grime, must, stank, and piss in here. There is also mephitis, fetor, and redolence. Damn, this brew has everything. Now I’m tasting a lot of leaves and dirt as well as clover flowers. Hmm, and now there is a touch of brake fluid (I don’t really know what brake fluid tastes like but I imagine that it tastes something like this).

Second Pour… My lips are stinging now as if I had just eaten a dozen raw lemons. A dog biscuit aroma has developed. My stomach is begging me to stop drinking this. I think I’m being poisoned. Still, my mouth screams for more. What a feel this has and it’s ever so unique. If only I could get more of this. Time to start building a collection Oudbeitje. If 7 years has made it this good, I feel like I’m sinning when I think of what 10 or 15 years could do. If you see this beer buy…and then send it to me.

4.37/5  rDev +16.8%

A - pours a pale golden see through. Obviously no head.

S - !!! Beautiful strawberry and funk. So stinking sour just from the nose.

T - intense! Very fresh, un ripe strawberries. Very funky. Loads of strawberries and very funky. I love it.

M - medium bodied and no carbonation.

O - this is the best lambic I've had. It's so perfect. I love every part about it.

3.94/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a flat deep orange color with absolutely no head or lacing. Aromas are quite interesting for such a brew, consisting mostly of sweet floral tones and passion fruits. There are some slight acidic tones but there's just so much sweetness in the nose that it keeps these tones at bay. Flavors start off quite sweet and fruity, with flavors that just remind me of a tropical summer day and eating passion fruits. Somewhere in the mix there is an acetic tone within but for the most part it is subdued by the sweetness. The finish is slightly earthy and floral, reminding me of fresh dandelions, oak, and strawberry fields. There is also just the slightest tone of vanilla to go along with the strong sour and acetic flavors. The carbonation to this brew was just a trickle and the mouthfeel was just a bit thin. Overall this has got to be one of the most interesting lambics I have ever tasted.. I have never had one that was soo sweet and fruity while having such burst of acetic and sour tones.. Very interesting to say the least.

3.04/5  rDev -18.7%

Tum tum te tum tum...

Pours a golden honey color. No head at all, which worries me some. The carbonation, what there is of it, doesn't really rise - the bubbles cling to the side of the glass...Obviously no lacing...

Aromas are barnyard, which is slightly typical for the style. I get horse stall, some sour funk, and a lot of citrus. A hint of sweetness...

Almost forgot the basics: $8.99/12 oz. bottle and 6% ABV..Very expensive...

Unbelievable sour...This is the most sour I've ever tasted. It's like eating an unripe grapefruit. Almost too one dimensional..I hardly can get to any of the other flavors or nuances in this. This is the Clubber Lang of ales. One trick, but it's powerful. If it were a woman, it would be Linda Lovelace...There is some good stuff unbderneath the sour, but it's almost impossible to reach. My tongue is starting to pucker. Crikey...It even tingles my nose...No carbonation in the glass, so nothing to take the edge off...Too bad, if this were fresh I'd bet it'd be much better. As it is, it's novelty only.

What I like most: The nice funky aroma profile.

What I like least: The unbelievably overpowering sour..

Verdict: Too expensive to drink when it's not fresh. Look elsewhere.

4.04/5  rDev +8%

The bottle's expiration date was 2018...Barely poped as I uncorked it.

Appearance: Hazy orange, with absolutely zero head.

Smell: Light, fruity strawberry smell, with a hint of mint somewhere in that nice lambic funk

Taste: For a Beer with no head, it was surprisingly effervescent and tangy. It was very tart but sweet. Not overly sweet like those pseudo-lambics, the acidity is there, just a bit more balanced. I'd say this is a good Beer to slowly rip people away from the sugary clutches of the fake lambics and push them slowly towards the real deal.

3.51/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

S: smells like strawberries with some burnt rubber notes

A: copper with orange hues

T: lemon, tart, some strawberry notes. noticeable cheese and funk notes.

M: medium body with no carbonation

O: got the strawberry notes in the nose, but flavor was lacking. this might have helped with the strong cheese and funk notes.

Oudbeitje Lambic from Hanssens Artisanaal bvba