Oudbeitje Lambic | Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Added by NeroFiddled on 08-20-2002

Reviews: 235 | Ratings: 467
4.23/5  rDev +12.8%

This is a great traditional lambic beer, brewed by the fine folks at Hanssens. This beer poured a nice dark yellow colour with a small white cap of foam on the top. The aromas were of horse blanket, various farm odors and animal smells, musty grapes, and a more general mustiness. The flavor was super tart, lip puckering and excellent. Nice strawberry flavors appearared in the middle, before the dry as all hell finish. The mouthfeel was very lively and carbonated and the drinkability is good if you like these traditional lambic beers (which I do) A far cry from a lindemans, or even a liefmans!

Cheers!
-F

4.22/5  rDev +12.5%

I was introduced to this beer at Liar's Club and came away impressed.
This one's for the review.
Limited edition 2006 bottle.

Served at room temp and poured into my Duvel tulip glass.

Appearance is above-average. Deep orange color with haziness. No head to speak of. According to the website, this beer goes through a "lesser" secondary fermentation so the carbonation levels come through low.

Smell is good. Sweet aroma of strawberries hit first then a lemony sourness cleans things up before the sweetness gets out of hand. Mouth-watering for sure. Funk is all over.

Taste is very good. That same strawberry sweetness comes through beautifully but, once again, a large lemony tartness rounds out the finish. Expectedly, wild yeast makes itself known toward the backend. Sweet and tart flavors intertwining quite well.

Mouthfeel is very good. Leaves your cheeks puckering, your tongue leathery and your gums bone dry. Then your mouth waters and you're ready for the assault again. Carbonation is below-average but doesn't take away too much from the overall mouthfeel.

Drinkability is good. Another bottle would be a pleasure.

Overall:
Not the best lambic around but one I can see myself going to often enough. Amazing combination of sweetness and tartness.

Recommended.

4.22/5  rDev +12.5%

2006 version. Served in my Kuhnhenn tulip.

A - Unlike the 2000 vintage, this isn't totally flat. A hard pour conjures up a quarter-finger of big-bubbled white foam that quickly dissipates. Attractive semi-transparent golden body.

S - Funky overripe strawberries, acetic acid provides a touch of cider vinegar, barnyard, some light oak, sour lemons and tart apples. It's very potent, and erupts from the bottle as soon as the cork is pulled.

T - The taste is a little more understated, with more apple cider vinegar and less of the wonderful strawberries found in the nose. There's notes of leather, sour grapes, and granny smith apples.

M - The finish is ridiculously dry, with a nice residual tannic character. Very low carbonation - a few more bubbles would have helped. Slick, oily, medium body.

D - Even though it's quite acidic and dry, it's very enjoyable and easy to drink. I put down the 375ml bottle a half-hour, and I would have been up for more - we'll see how my stomach reacts tomorrow morning.

I had another bottle of this that I got from bosse - it was significantly more carbonated, but I can't remember the vintage.

4.21/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottled in Feb 2015

A: Pours with a slight chilled haze at first. That clears up in a bit, with a pale orange/apple cider like color. At first a tiny bubbly white head forms, but recedes to nothing in a second. Though, like everything they do the color is stunning.
S: Jam like strawberries pop up front. Then that amazing funky, cheesy Hanssens kicks in, though the wonderful fruity strawberries are wonderful throughout.
T: Like the nose, strawberries absolutely pop here. Jam like, with a hint of sweetness up front. Substantial acidic puckering, but not overwhelming in that regard. Maybe vanilla sweetness from the oak. Though the funk and cheese cut through immediately. Followed by more fruit in the finish.
M/O: A light to medium body. Almost no carbonation, but that is alright. With the amount of cheesy funk I am amazed at how clean this feels. After the initial and quick sweetness, this finishes beautifully dry. So the lack of carbonation is forgiven. Not as intensely sour as their offerings tend to be, so I find this much easier to drink.

Not the most refined Lambic there is, especially considering the carbonation. That just adds to the curiosity for me, and I keep coming back. Hanssens is always unique, and this is a perfect show case for that. It might not be for everyone, but it s drinking fine for me.

4.2/5  rDev +12%

Capped and corked 375mL bottle poured into my Drie Fonteinen tumbler. Vintage 2000. Lot B.

Slightly hazy light gamboge body crested by the whispiest litle isle of bubbles I've ever seen. Legions of tiny bubbles cling to the sides of the glass just beneath the surface but rarely release.

The lambic notes are at the front of the nose with aromas of sour yeast, cork, cellar, and puckering fruit. The strawberry seems negligable at first, but then I began to notice it wafting over once I put the glass down - an excellent background note of wild strawberries (indeed, the illustration on the bottle is that of the Fraise des bois) joins the barnyard notes. You can almost visualize the strawberries growing among a field of wild grasses, violets, etc.

The puckering vinuous lambic flavors are subdued supremely well by the phantasm of sweetness still barely lingering after a decade. The subtle tartness of the berries remains as well, magnified as it is by the sour-cider and light not-quite-red-wine vinegar elements from the lambic. The finish is tart, yet dry with a pleasant light moist oak taste and hints of raw-hide.

Light bodied, smooth, with light carbonation.

Simple, direct, well aged - nature and art in a small green bottle...

4.2/5  rDev +12%

Orange color with no discernable head. Smell of wonderful puke in college after drinking tang and everclear all night (and I mean that in the best way possible). Initially acidic orange peel and aspirin taste mellows in the mouth with floral orange blossem and slight strawberry finish. The mouth is light upfront with a dry tongued finish. A great starter.. refreshing and light. This would be a great way to start the evening...

4.2/5  rDev +12%

Thanks a million to yinzer for hooking me up with this beer. I had the opportunity to share it with phnphilly, Slatetank, Risser09, and gottajiboo2.

This was a great way to start off and evening of sours; following my home brew of course.

Appearance: Pours a hazed orange color with fizz but little resemblance of a head.

Smell: wood wood wood, and earthy musty yeasty funk. Is there supposed to be strawberry in there? There is a picture of a strawberry next to the name I can't say =) but I can't say I got much strawberry through the nose, other than the horse blanket funk.

Taste: The had maybe a hint of sour ripe strawberry but only a drop through the bold sour wood rotten fruit, and yet a touch of sweet before the lingering pucker finish. Risser09 thought of funky cheese, and I can definitely see that attribute as well.

Mouthfeel: It has a typical feel I get in the traditional Lambics, it is light but warm with acidity, dryness and sour flavors left on the palate long after the finish.

Drinkability: Lambics are not a chugging beer to begin with. This one is rather drinkable for the style, but I certainly liked sipping it with some of the cheeses gottajiboo2 brought to our tasting.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

4.2/5  rDev +12%

Purchased at the Perfect Pour in Columbia, MD.

A- Pours a nice deep orange-gold, with a nice white head.

S- Lots of sour fruit (Wild Strawberries).

T- Very sour, a good lambic without the fruit taking over. Some sour citrus and yeasty.

M- A bit thinner than I hoped, but nice anyway.

D- Very drinkable, a refreshing sour lambic.

Had this earlier at Delerium in Brussels a the recommendation of the bar manager, loved it then.

4.2/5  rDev +12%

Dark reddish gold, crystal clear (does that mean that is has no live yeast?). Sour strawberries in the aroma and the flavour. Some notes of citrus, and maybe apples in the background. Usual horse-blanketness with a bit of acidity but not much sourness. No head at all. A nice lambic.

4.2/5  rDev +12%

Pours hazy light orange, nearly still. Is it still young? Given the use of strawberries, it is strangely not red, nor does the color seem to be affected at all by the strawberries. On the nose, the strawberry is definitely present (I could smell it off the cork) and quite nice. I also get an elderflower aroma, which I often detect in fruit lambics, with a cidery component. Flavor has a nice sourness with a slight tea astringency. Strawberry lambics are rare, but this one is great.

4.19/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a light orange - nice-looking but nothing special, really. Strawberry jam and wet stone on the nose. There's funk, but more bale-of-hay than horse's-ass. Not the sourest sour I've ever had - Hanssen's Experimental Raspberry may take that title - but it's definitely way up there. The strawberry doesn't come through as strongly on my palate as I expected, but it's there on the finish. It's a really enjoyable beer, so sweet on the nose and so tart on the palate... a very pleasurable contrast.

Mouthfeel was good (though I thought I felt my teeth dissolving...). Carbonation was higher than I expected for Hanssens, which was a plus, but still, there was barely any. Seemed stylistically appropriate.

All things considered, the drinkability was quite good. But I was happy with my half of the 375ml that I shared with a friend.

4.19/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Sampled from a 375ml bottle dated April 2012.

A - Golden and crystal clear. No head but some large bubbles on the top.

S - Beautiful fresh strawberries with hints of tart and funk. Gets even better as it warms.

T - A firm tart/sour without biting. A moderate strawberry flavor that combines nicely with the tartness.

M - Smooth and silky with no carbonation. The texture lets the flavors run wild.

O - I prefer cherry lambics but this was tasty and interesting.

4.18/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A first try for me. This Lambic was incredibly interesting. Right when I popped it open, a wafted aroma of funk and musty lust braised my snout. As it was poured into a pint glass, the color arranged itself into a nice, murky, hazy reddish-orangish-slightly-brownish hue. I examined its innards and saw a little bit of what looked like strawberry seeds floating. As I brought the glass to my lips, that musty aroma I first smelt became strong with force. It tickled the inside of my nose and I could almost taste the concoction on the back of my tongue. The first sip just about made me cough. In a good, exciting way. The first flavor I noticed was a green olive, acidic, vinegarish taste. I was oddly intrigued by this as I usually discern these flavors in my beer. But I LIKED it! As I got through and through this bottle, those strawberry notes became more apparent. And by the end, my throat was scorched, my palate was wrecked, and I was internally satisfied. I even let my room mate try a sip (who does not drink craft beer regularly) and it almost made him throw up.

4.17/5  rDev +11.2%

A: Hazy yellow with small orange hues. A thin layer of big bubbles quickly fades away into a minimal ring of lacings.

S: A rather big smell, very funky. Lots of barnyard and something reminiscent of wet dog. Mouldering leaves and rocks, and a white wine-like acidity. All this is topped by a pleasant but subtle smell of sweet strawberries (like dry strawberries) and a hint of lemon. Very good and rather unique.

T: The taste is very tart, even sour. The funkiness is more restrained, but still very prominent with a character of wet hay and mud rather than barnyard. Very subtle wheaty notes get through every now and then. As with the funkiness, the fruity notes are slightly more restrained than in the smell. But the strawberries are still noticeable with a rather distinct flavor. A hint of lemon. The finish has actually a quite noticeable grassy bitterness to it, which complement the aggressive sourness and mild fruity sweetness really well. A nice tartness lingers on in the mouth for a long time.

M: Pretty big body for the style (still moderate though), very restrained carbonation with calm bubbles. I don't think I would have mind slightly more carbonation. It's not as dry as most comparable beers.

D: Very good. Good balance between acidity and sweet strawberry flavors.

4.17/5  rDev +11.2%

A: Pours a translucent orange with pink hues with absolutely no head. The body shows a smattering of tiny bubbles and faint bits of lacing develop at the top of the beer.

S: Predominant note is of funk and sourness...funky strawberries, although the strawberry aspect is a bit subdued and sour/tart lemon. Lots of general funk aside from the strawberries with a barnyard feel. Some oak/wood characteristics come in upon further inspection.

T: Mouth pucking tartness up front is quickly balanced by a wave of funk with some sweet hints tugging at the edges. Strawberries come in subtly in the second half of a sip and linger through the aftertaste, never in a fully assertive manner, but enough to serve as a reminder of the fact that this is a strawberry lambic. The funk comes out even more as it warms, with cheese notes and an ever increasing barnyard aspect.

M: Virtually flat, but with a remarkably full body. The funk and acidity provide more than enough for the mouth to focus on to make up for the lack of carbonation.

D: Obviously rating against the style, but I find myself wanting to keep sipping in spite of the low carbonation and big blend of sour and funkiness. A very interesting beer, glad I snagged a bottle to try.

4.17/5  rDev +11.2%

Pours an orangeish (..???...), clear-ish color with a bit of brown. No head. Flat.

Smells faintly of strawberries, and strongly of funk, horse blanket, oak, and ... whoa, this will be sour.

Surprisingly sour. The strawberries are there, but are overlaid on a big blanket of sour horse blanket-iness and oakiness. Musty, barnyard leather and a hint of leprechaun tears round out the presentation.

Yeah, it's flat, but still a pretty good sour. Pretty sure it will never cross my path again.

4.17/5  rDev +11.2%

I split a bottle with my friend at De Hopduvel in Ghent.

Appearance: Lightly hazy pinkish-orange with no head whatsoever, only large bubbles from pouring that disappear quickly.

Smell: My first impression was of overwhelming strawberries, but after letting it sit I could detect some nice funkiness, which was enhanced by swirling.

Taste: Intense acidic sourness is dominant from start to finish. Some strawberry flavors appear briefly with mild sweetness. The finish is earthy funkiness along with the acidic sourness.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied, very low carbonation, lightly dry finish.

Drinkability: Pretty drinkable despite sourness.

Overall: Initially I wasn't impressed, but it really grew on me as I drank it.

4.17/5  rDev +11.2%

Pale brassy blonde in color with a faint head of white. Head, this is more like a ring around the glass.

Aroma is juicey and puckering. Cider, acidic farm notes, rotting earth, and yogurt fade into a subtle wild strawberry note.

Flavor is shockingly sour at first, notes of extremely under-ripe white grapes and undiluted vinegar fade into light fruits and a distinct lactic cheesiness. Somewhat cidery in a wierd way leading to the subtle finish of sour strawberries. I found the strawberry flavor very refreshing and a nice contrast to all the sour and sharp notes.

Body seems pretty light with light pinpoints of carbonation. Refreshing and surprisingly drinkable. I wished we were sharing a 750 rather that the little 33.

Shared With Fellow Beer Lovers At Phatz's Sour Beer Tasting
Allowed to warm to about 55 degrees.

Appearance: Golden orange with little carbonation or head. No sediment is apparent.

Smell: Lots of woodiness and plenty of sour funk aroma. There is a strawberry on the label, so maybe there should be some strawberry aroma? The smell reminds me exactly of what dried apricots smell like. Exactly.

Taste: This beer tastes of oak all the way through but gives way to other flavors as well. I sensed an old cheese mustiness in there somewhere. Other flavors are rotten peaches, fresh ground pepper and a nutmeg aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Dryness and acidity are the endearing qualities for this one. Typical lambic mouthfeel with some added pepper spice that I noted in the taste.

Drinkability: Certainly not a session beer by any means. Too much sour beer and you'll be hitting the tums in the morning, like I did after this tasting. I would definately seek this out if you can get it for a decent price.

4.16/5  rDev +10.9%

375ml corked green bottle.marked limited edition 2006.

Pours a deep and clear golden honey. Quite still; without head or lace. Smells simultaneously acidic and sweet. Sharp barnyard funk and mustiness are well-balanced by softly rounded strawberry fruit. Intriguingly subtle flavor development. Gentle initial fruitiness turns sour in the center, with barnyard and leather notes dominating. These are followed by fleeting velvet strawberry and vanilla tones. The finish is tangy and acidic, brining some stinging alcohol and the suggestion of green strawberry seeds. Medium body is completely flat, but not needlessly heavy. Very nice.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12oz poured on tap into snifter

A: gold burnished amber in color clarity is pretty good a little haze very little head but looks like big carbonation

S: vinegar, grapes, light hay and sourness

T: lots of light biscuity malts and a little grape and a little hay

M: not very sour super low carbonation almost none

O: surprisingly approachable lambic not face seeringly sour. Nice light notes of hay and grapes very easy to drink.

4.14/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a tough one, I've had 3 bottles now and haven't matched the first with how delicious it was and how much strawberry it had. And now the price has gone up so tough to buy at that price. This review starts with the original and adds comments on the others that followed.

Pours no head, murky peach beige color no carbonation.

Nose is wow, light lambic, tart sour, strawberry lemonaide, juicy tart strawberries, lactic acid. The ones following were similar on the nose, but a touch less strawberry.

Taste starts with a nice sour and tart lambic, typical fruits and lactic acid, and gets kicked up a notch when the sediment is swirled and dumped in, suddenly Wow Strawberries! Tons of fresh strawberry flavors, strawberry lemonaide, light acidity, lacto, juicy, light sweetness, bit of tart funk, light bitterness and a great sour flavor, but of chewy malts, and light citrus. Funk is light, mostly just tart fruits and lactic acid. On the later bottles it started similar, but adding the sediment from the bottom was mostly yeast and funk, very little strawberry added , the sediment was also much less than the first bottle, and more yeasty funk flavors, not as pleasant.

Mouth is lighter bodied, pretty much no carbonation.

Overall just wow, the original bottle is one of the best lambics I can remember, but the ones since have just been so-so. hard to judge the score on which one, so I'll try to average them.

Reads limited edition 2000, reviewed July 17, 2005
Pours a light golden color. Similar to a pale ale. (not at all what I expected…) No head at all. Nearly microscopic bubbles when swirled. The smell was stinky cheese/barn/bacterial lab at first and then faded into strawberry. The flavor follows the same sequence as the smell. Nice strawberry… almost an artificial strawberry flavor that then finishes dry and tart. The slight sweetness of the strawberry is a very nice compliment to the tart dry finish. I found this quite interesting and enjoyable. No one flavor is overpowering, and all contribute to the experience in a positive way. All parts of the tongue are kept busy leading me to want more.
If you are new to Lambics, I feel this one can be enjoyed on quite a few levels. If you are looking for tart or sweet or both, it is here. Not overly either. Less tart than most Cantillions, but not nearly as sweet as the L’s.

4.14/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured into a Chimay glass it looked like apple juice. The only hint of carbonation I could find was a few bubbles on my tongue. Couldn't taste the strawberry but could smell it a bit. Sipping and taking huge swigs it tasted good. I'm not sure about the taste. It is kind of sour, definitely not sweet. This almost tastes like white wine? My first lambic and after this, I can imagine I will try to seek out more. I'll definitely get another bottle. This is probably something good for sitting on the porch on a hot day.

4.13/5  rDev +10.1%

This beer pours a straw yellow color with a few buboes around the edge it is nearly still. The nose is funky tart apples slightly sour. The flavor follows suit with a good bit of sourness but nothing over the top the strawberry flavor is noticeable. The mouthfeel is light slightly Puckering and barely any carbonation just like a true lambic. I would definitely recommend this one to any one who wants to try sours that are not to off putting.

Oudbeitje Lambic from Hanssens Artisanaal bvba