Oudbeitje Lambic | Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Added by NeroFiddled on 08-20-2002

Reviews: 236 | Ratings: 469
4.19/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a light orange - nice-looking but nothing special, really. Strawberry jam and wet stone on the nose. There's funk, but more bale-of-hay than horse's-ass. Not the sourest sour I've ever had - Hanssen's Experimental Raspberry may take that title - but it's definitely way up there. The strawberry doesn't come through as strongly on my palate as I expected, but it's there on the finish. It's a really enjoyable beer, so sweet on the nose and so tart on the palate... a very pleasurable contrast.

Mouthfeel was good (though I thought I felt my teeth dissolving...). Carbonation was higher than I expected for Hanssens, which was a plus, but still, there was barely any. Seemed stylistically appropriate.

All things considered, the drinkability was quite good. But I was happy with my half of the 375ml that I shared with a friend.

4.19/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Sampled from a 375ml bottle dated April 2012.

A - Golden and crystal clear. No head but some large bubbles on the top.

S - Beautiful fresh strawberries with hints of tart and funk. Gets even better as it warms.

T - A firm tart/sour without biting. A moderate strawberry flavor that combines nicely with the tartness.

M - Smooth and silky with no carbonation. The texture lets the flavors run wild.

O - I prefer cherry lambics but this was tasty and interesting.

4.18/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A first try for me. This Lambic was incredibly interesting. Right when I popped it open, a wafted aroma of funk and musty lust braised my snout. As it was poured into a pint glass, the color arranged itself into a nice, murky, hazy reddish-orangish-slightly-brownish hue. I examined its innards and saw a little bit of what looked like strawberry seeds floating. As I brought the glass to my lips, that musty aroma I first smelt became strong with force. It tickled the inside of my nose and I could almost taste the concoction on the back of my tongue. The first sip just about made me cough. In a good, exciting way. The first flavor I noticed was a green olive, acidic, vinegarish taste. I was oddly intrigued by this as I usually discern these flavors in my beer. But I LIKED it! As I got through and through this bottle, those strawberry notes became more apparent. And by the end, my throat was scorched, my palate was wrecked, and I was internally satisfied. I even let my room mate try a sip (who does not drink craft beer regularly) and it almost made him throw up.

4.17/5  rDev +11.2%

A: Hazy yellow with small orange hues. A thin layer of big bubbles quickly fades away into a minimal ring of lacings.

S: A rather big smell, very funky. Lots of barnyard and something reminiscent of wet dog. Mouldering leaves and rocks, and a white wine-like acidity. All this is topped by a pleasant but subtle smell of sweet strawberries (like dry strawberries) and a hint of lemon. Very good and rather unique.

T: The taste is very tart, even sour. The funkiness is more restrained, but still very prominent with a character of wet hay and mud rather than barnyard. Very subtle wheaty notes get through every now and then. As with the funkiness, the fruity notes are slightly more restrained than in the smell. But the strawberries are still noticeable with a rather distinct flavor. A hint of lemon. The finish has actually a quite noticeable grassy bitterness to it, which complement the aggressive sourness and mild fruity sweetness really well. A nice tartness lingers on in the mouth for a long time.

M: Pretty big body for the style (still moderate though), very restrained carbonation with calm bubbles. I don't think I would have mind slightly more carbonation. It's not as dry as most comparable beers.

D: Very good. Good balance between acidity and sweet strawberry flavors.

4.17/5  rDev +11.2%

A: Pours a translucent orange with pink hues with absolutely no head. The body shows a smattering of tiny bubbles and faint bits of lacing develop at the top of the beer.

S: Predominant note is of funk and sourness...funky strawberries, although the strawberry aspect is a bit subdued and sour/tart lemon. Lots of general funk aside from the strawberries with a barnyard feel. Some oak/wood characteristics come in upon further inspection.

T: Mouth pucking tartness up front is quickly balanced by a wave of funk with some sweet hints tugging at the edges. Strawberries come in subtly in the second half of a sip and linger through the aftertaste, never in a fully assertive manner, but enough to serve as a reminder of the fact that this is a strawberry lambic. The funk comes out even more as it warms, with cheese notes and an ever increasing barnyard aspect.

M: Virtually flat, but with a remarkably full body. The funk and acidity provide more than enough for the mouth to focus on to make up for the lack of carbonation.

D: Obviously rating against the style, but I find myself wanting to keep sipping in spite of the low carbonation and big blend of sour and funkiness. A very interesting beer, glad I snagged a bottle to try.

4.17/5  rDev +11.2%

Pours an orangeish (..???...), clear-ish color with a bit of brown. No head. Flat.

Smells faintly of strawberries, and strongly of funk, horse blanket, oak, and ... whoa, this will be sour.

Surprisingly sour. The strawberries are there, but are overlaid on a big blanket of sour horse blanket-iness and oakiness. Musty, barnyard leather and a hint of leprechaun tears round out the presentation.

Yeah, it's flat, but still a pretty good sour. Pretty sure it will never cross my path again.

4.17/5  rDev +11.2%

I split a bottle with my friend at De Hopduvel in Ghent.

Appearance: Lightly hazy pinkish-orange with no head whatsoever, only large bubbles from pouring that disappear quickly.

Smell: My first impression was of overwhelming strawberries, but after letting it sit I could detect some nice funkiness, which was enhanced by swirling.

Taste: Intense acidic sourness is dominant from start to finish. Some strawberry flavors appear briefly with mild sweetness. The finish is earthy funkiness along with the acidic sourness.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied, very low carbonation, lightly dry finish.

Drinkability: Pretty drinkable despite sourness.

Overall: Initially I wasn't impressed, but it really grew on me as I drank it.

4.17/5  rDev +11.2%

Pale brassy blonde in color with a faint head of white. Head, this is more like a ring around the glass.

Aroma is juicey and puckering. Cider, acidic farm notes, rotting earth, and yogurt fade into a subtle wild strawberry note.

Flavor is shockingly sour at first, notes of extremely under-ripe white grapes and undiluted vinegar fade into light fruits and a distinct lactic cheesiness. Somewhat cidery in a wierd way leading to the subtle finish of sour strawberries. I found the strawberry flavor very refreshing and a nice contrast to all the sour and sharp notes.

Body seems pretty light with light pinpoints of carbonation. Refreshing and surprisingly drinkable. I wished we were sharing a 750 rather that the little 33.

Shared With Fellow Beer Lovers At Phatz's Sour Beer Tasting
Allowed to warm to about 55 degrees.

Appearance: Golden orange with little carbonation or head. No sediment is apparent.

Smell: Lots of woodiness and plenty of sour funk aroma. There is a strawberry on the label, so maybe there should be some strawberry aroma? The smell reminds me exactly of what dried apricots smell like. Exactly.

Taste: This beer tastes of oak all the way through but gives way to other flavors as well. I sensed an old cheese mustiness in there somewhere. Other flavors are rotten peaches, fresh ground pepper and a nutmeg aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Dryness and acidity are the endearing qualities for this one. Typical lambic mouthfeel with some added pepper spice that I noted in the taste.

Drinkability: Certainly not a session beer by any means. Too much sour beer and you'll be hitting the tums in the morning, like I did after this tasting. I would definately seek this out if you can get it for a decent price.

4.16/5  rDev +10.9%

375ml corked green bottle.marked limited edition 2006.

Pours a deep and clear golden honey. Quite still; without head or lace. Smells simultaneously acidic and sweet. Sharp barnyard funk and mustiness are well-balanced by softly rounded strawberry fruit. Intriguingly subtle flavor development. Gentle initial fruitiness turns sour in the center, with barnyard and leather notes dominating. These are followed by fleeting velvet strawberry and vanilla tones. The finish is tangy and acidic, brining some stinging alcohol and the suggestion of green strawberry seeds. Medium body is completely flat, but not needlessly heavy. Very nice.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12oz poured on tap into snifter

A: gold burnished amber in color clarity is pretty good a little haze very little head but looks like big carbonation

S: vinegar, grapes, light hay and sourness

T: lots of light biscuity malts and a little grape and a little hay

M: not very sour super low carbonation almost none

O: surprisingly approachable lambic not face seeringly sour. Nice light notes of hay and grapes very easy to drink.

4.14/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a tough one, I've had 3 bottles now and haven't matched the first with how delicious it was and how much strawberry it had. And now the price has gone up so tough to buy at that price. This review starts with the original and adds comments on the others that followed.

Pours no head, murky peach beige color no carbonation.

Nose is wow, light lambic, tart sour, strawberry lemonaide, juicy tart strawberries, lactic acid. The ones following were similar on the nose, but a touch less strawberry.

Taste starts with a nice sour and tart lambic, typical fruits and lactic acid, and gets kicked up a notch when the sediment is swirled and dumped in, suddenly Wow Strawberries! Tons of fresh strawberry flavors, strawberry lemonaide, light acidity, lacto, juicy, light sweetness, bit of tart funk, light bitterness and a great sour flavor, but of chewy malts, and light citrus. Funk is light, mostly just tart fruits and lactic acid. On the later bottles it started similar, but adding the sediment from the bottom was mostly yeast and funk, very little strawberry added , the sediment was also much less than the first bottle, and more yeasty funk flavors, not as pleasant.

Mouth is lighter bodied, pretty much no carbonation.

Overall just wow, the original bottle is one of the best lambics I can remember, but the ones since have just been so-so. hard to judge the score on which one, so I'll try to average them.

Reads limited edition 2000, reviewed July 17, 2005
Pours a light golden color. Similar to a pale ale. (not at all what I expected…) No head at all. Nearly microscopic bubbles when swirled. The smell was stinky cheese/barn/bacterial lab at first and then faded into strawberry. The flavor follows the same sequence as the smell. Nice strawberry… almost an artificial strawberry flavor that then finishes dry and tart. The slight sweetness of the strawberry is a very nice compliment to the tart dry finish. I found this quite interesting and enjoyable. No one flavor is overpowering, and all contribute to the experience in a positive way. All parts of the tongue are kept busy leading me to want more.
If you are new to Lambics, I feel this one can be enjoyed on quite a few levels. If you are looking for tart or sweet or both, it is here. Not overly either. Less tart than most Cantillions, but not nearly as sweet as the L’s.

4.14/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured into a Chimay glass it looked like apple juice. The only hint of carbonation I could find was a few bubbles on my tongue. Couldn't taste the strawberry but could smell it a bit. Sipping and taking huge swigs it tasted good. I'm not sure about the taste. It is kind of sour, definitely not sweet. This almost tastes like white wine? My first lambic and after this, I can imagine I will try to seek out more. I'll definitely get another bottle. This is probably something good for sitting on the porch on a hot day.

4.13/5  rDev +10.1%

This beer pours a straw yellow color with a few buboes around the edge it is nearly still. The nose is funky tart apples slightly sour. The flavor follows suit with a good bit of sourness but nothing over the top the strawberry flavor is noticeable. The mouthfeel is light slightly Puckering and barely any carbonation just like a true lambic. I would definitely recommend this one to any one who wants to try sours that are not to off putting.

4.13/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Cidery golden in color. Big, watery bubbles collect on the surface, like beads, but it doesn't look like a head. Hardly showing signs of carbonation. Even the cork came out with only the tiniest gasp of air.

Strawberry-banana yogurt, critter funk, white vinegar, unripe berry, and yeast creaminess. Smells fantastic.

Tart strawberry, acetic acid, sharp funk, again with slight banana or creamy fruit, lemon rind, and raw mushroom. Not extreme, but a very sharp sourness.

Back of throat tartness. Jaw clenching with anticipation. Not much carbonation to amp it up and spell it out. The body has a semi-oily feel to it.

This is a fantastic fruit lambic. The notes are numbered, but they're fascinating.

4.12/5  rDev +9.9%

Reminiscent of apple cider with a hue of red. Orange juice viscosity and density with no head except for a few floating bubbles.

Wonderful aromas. Very sour and pungent, funky, light strawberry and berry aromas, iodine, horse blanket, earthy esters. Tart and tingles my nose hairs. Hard to quit smelling this lambic.

Very nice, huge acidity in the middle and lightens slightly in the finish. Funk galore, horse blanket throughout, cereal type malts on deep in the finish. Tongue puckering body. Fruity and earthy at the front and middle with wood tones everywhere. Hints of strawberry, earth, and other tart fruits. Delicious.

4.12/5  rDev +9.9%

The girlfriend loves this beer. We have had a few bottles now and the bottle to bottle variation can be massive. This was the 2nd best bottle we had.

A: Hazy golden color with minimal white head. The carbonation was there and strong not bad for a 9 year old beer.

S: The strawberries are up front and smelled really nice. After than the lacto sour really kicks in hard. It worked with the berries though. I never thought it would have but it did.

T: Very sour up front. Then the sour backs down and you have the vinegar lacto assault. The strawberries are in there the whole way and really does balance things out quite a bit.

M: Light refreshing mouthfeel. Perfect for the style.

D: Super drinkable. The lacto is really strong and you can feel it in your gut after a while. That never stopped me though.

4.11/5  rDev +9.6%

2006 Vintage. 12.7 oz green bottle.

Pours with a minuscule head that had big soapy bubble. The beer is a vibrant orange/peach/apricot color. There are white things floating on the surface.

The smell is fantastic, with nice ripe strawberry, a pinch of sour, and a tiny tiny hint of funk, not much at all though.

The taste is a lot more sour than the nose would suggest, it starts out with a burst of lemon sourness but then ends with delightful strawberry flavor. It isn't sweet at all like I expected, it is an awful like a straight up lambic with a hint of strawberry in there. Very nice.

I'm not a huge fan of the nearly still mouthfeel with only the slightest hint of carbonation, it is hard to control the carbonation these gueuze type lambics though. But I woudl like a bit more.

It is a pretty good beer with a very nice smell.

4.09/5  rDev +9.1%

2006 vintage at Maxs tonight

A: Absolutely flat. Clear, light amber. Halfway through, I add the yeast in to make things a little murky (after tasting, of course)

S: The most delicate and nuanced strawberry note is present in the back, behind the funk. Absolutely beautiful

T: Starts off pretty funky with a definite deliciously rancid flavor before the strawberry wafts in gently, makes its presence felt and ambles along leaving a long, dry, funky finish

M: Somehow, Hanssens manages to do the uncarbonated lambics right. This one feels pretty good, though, with a little more sweetness, it would be even better

D: Probably the tastiest beer I drank tonight. Will seek out again

**Edit 12 March 2012**
Drinking a bottle of the 06 that I picked up at Maxs back in the day. I found the 2000 harsh and undrinkable, so I didn't have high hopes for this one.

The glorious but delicate strawberry character that this beer had fresh has fallen off, but not by much. As it breathes, it does grow in prominence, with a fairly complex fruit character. Delicate strawberries with some seed tannins (not as intense as raspberry lambics, though). For a Hanssens lambic, this smells surprisingly mellow, and it is so on the palate as well, with a fairly oak and vanilla forward lambic base with a sourness that brings to mind rotting lemons, less some sweetness, and some lactic acid. Fairly slick on the palate. The strawberries are still fairly noticeable on the palate, lending a sweetness and acidity to complement the lemony lambic. Funk character is quite low here, apart from a mild earthiness on the mid-palate, there isn't much. This is one aspect that I wish had a little more complexity to it. Quite oaky on the finish with vanilla and tannins to add the low level of carbonation that's present. Oh, and it doesn't really need much carbonation for the flavor profile IMO. I never thought I'd say it, but this is a fairly mellow and easy-drinking Hanssens beer, one I could drink multiples of. Enjoyable, recommended, unique. 4/4/3.5/4/3.5

4.09/5  rDev +9.1%

pink grapefruit / pink lemonade with haze, no head to speak of (not really a hallmark of the style anyway), pretty straight forward looking lambic

strawberry bubblegum gone sour and gone rotten, that's not a complaint, there is just some weird smell to some lambics that is hard to place, it smells sort of like a dumpster in the throes of august, somewhere between really old citrus and some liquid that is some ungodly color you can't quite describe, but the liquid crawls instead of pours, it oozes like pus... so naturally I like the odor here, something about strawberry manure just tickles me silly

taste etc...
the first sip of a good lambic is always a touch bracing for me, almost like swallowing sea water, of course this is quite sour, great for a summer night like this evening sitting out on the deck with the pooch when the weather is just cool enough to thwart the harangues of mosquitoes that plague in the later months of summer, the lingering flavor is a bite on the tongue of sour fading into pink fruity bubblegum, almost artificial tasting like bubble yum, the further on you travel into this beer the sourness is side by side with the fruit flavour, somewhere between mild strawberry and cranberry this is not one you can pin the fruit down on like say some krieks, the mouthfeel is perfect for the style, light and drinkable with surprisingly the right amount of carbonation to get this puppy to flavor market, lip smackingly good.

a very nice lambic (especially since I scored it for $3.99), if you want a more geuze-ish type of lambic you will probably enjoy this one.. and cantillon fans should equally enjoy this (although not as tart as many cantillon offerings)

4.08/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Bottled Jan 2011, 375ml bottle.

Slight hiss when I pulled the cork, it pours orange with small then disappearing head of foam.

The smell is very tart, fruity>, perhaps, kind of vinegar like with a healthy Brett presence.

The taste has notes of vinegar, sour fruit ie pear and apple. and a quite funky character.

Light body with very very light carbonation.

I like it and the $11 price tag didn't hurt too much.

4.07/5  rDev +8.5%

12.7 ounce caged and corked bottle, bottled in May 2013. Served in a Prairie lambic glass, the beer pours a slightly hazy golden/orange color with a small white head that fizzled away quickly. Pretty much no lacing, either. Aroma is nice and tart, the brew smells like funk, strawberries, vinegar, oak and earthiness. Taste is similar to the aroma, it tastes like funk, sweet and unripe strawberries, vinegar, earthiness, green apples, lemon and cheese. The tartness lingers around for a while in the finish. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's smooth and easy to drink. The Hanssens brews I've tried in the past have been hit or miss, but I thought this was good and I enjoyed the tartness. I'd like to try this again in the future.

4.07/5  rDev +8.5%

So, this is kind of a lame pour...even though I felt a little carbo assistance getting the cork out, this pours into a goblet damn near still. Sunny golden body. It's nearly flat...which I can't honestly say I'm that bothered by. It just doesn't look all that impressive. But hey, if this is vintage 2000, it's not so surprising.

A big blast of sweaty funk greeted me upon uncorking. There's a lot of that in the nose, also a lot of wild cherry and various sour berries. Some molded-plastic phenolics.

Hmm, this is pretty good. Leathery funk hits me first, moreso than puckering sourness. It is tart, but not overtly sour. Some nice unsweetened strawberry and wild cherry.

Though it looks flat, there actually is enough carbonation here to make this a worthwhile drinker. Plus, if I can excuse Cantillon's Lou Pepe Kriek for not being that carbonated, I can excuse this as well. Like I said, it's not show-y carbonation, but it is just enough.

Like most 6% sours, I drained the bottle rather quickly.

4.06/5  rDev +8.3%

Poured this 375 mL green bottle into a Lindemans flute. No date evident. No neck label. (The label states that it is a 750 mL). Removed cork with a gentle pop. The first pour was clear golden with many tiny bubbles clinging to the sides. The second pour was murkier.

Smell was vinous and acrid. Slighty funky. Lively tart nose.

Taste was a nice puckering sour. Meyer lemons. Light strawberry. Sweetness finishes quickly but the tartness lingers on. Very refreshing and delicious.

Mouthfeel was mouth-coating tartness. Medium body. Very drinkable.

Oudbeitje Lambic from Hanssens Artisanaal bvba