Oudbeitje Lambic | Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Liked:
3.74/5
Alströms:

2.82/5  rDev -24.6%

Pours a deep yellow/orange with a pinkish hue. Pours nearly flat just a few bubbles in a partial ring. Smells funky, citrusy and sour. I get oak but don't get any strawberry. The taste is very sour, oak, strawberries. A bit moldy in the taste too. Body is light +. Overall a bit tough to deal with the lack of carbonation.

2.85/5  rDev -23.8%

2.87/5  rDev -23.3%

Appearance: An apple cider sort of look, and a slight haze to its opacity. No head to speak of, whatsoever.

Aroma: Yeasty, medicinal. Quite high phenolic, indicating a natural lambic (as wild yeasts can bring odd characteristics to the fold).

Taste: Quite tart, quite sour, with the phenols definately affecting taste. Finish is very dry.

Mouthfeel: Light carbonation. Good to form.

Drinkability: For a Lambic, I can't think this anything but average. The tartness and sourness are there, but the phenols are so overwhelming that it detracts from whatever the brewer was trying to accomplish.

My guess? The bottle had been sitting on the shelf of the beer shop in Amsterdam for quite some time.

2.9/5  rDev -22.5%

375 ml bottle split with sourbatchkid. Thanks for the taste.

A- slightly hazy straw yellow with hint of orange, that pours like tap water to head at all.

S-big funky cheese and wet hay. Baby diaper and feet. Some strawberry in there as well.

T- funky wood up front and stinky cheese. Wet hay and wheat with a mild lactic sourness. I do get some strawberry and other fruit but its the strawberry that takes the lead.

M- totally flat not a bit of carb. Its like drinking very strange water. Slightly more viscous then water as well with a mild pucker.

- eh its drinkable enough but is in dire need of some carb. This stuff is lacking the crispness that some carb would bring to give it a rounder profile. Interesting flavor but just not the best lambic I've had.

2.9/5  rDev -22.5%

2.92/5  rDev -21.9%

Got this one at De Bierkoning a couple weeks back.

From a 375 corked and caged bottle into a wine glass
Best before 7 August 2017
Lot E

APPEARANCE: Pours out flat and yields a bubbly ring eventually. Cloudy amer orange with no carbonation. Ends up looking flat pretty quickly, so not really a fan there.

SMELL: Strawberries for sure, with stinky cheese, tart lemon notes and some acidic vinegar on the nose. Pretty bold. Moldy aromas and lots of fungus as well. A little too much so for my tastes.

TASTE: Tart lemon sourness with sour strawberries as well. Definite funk and cheese up front with a tart and sour, acidic finish. Lemon, strawberry tartness and some moldy flavors linger on the palate. A hint of bitterness as well. Actually much more balanced and enjoyable than the nose had led on.

PALATE: Medium body and no real carbonation. Basically flat. Watery going down and finishes with a touch of acidity. Fine, but a little too flat, even for the style.

OVERALL: A bit too moldy and funky on the nose for me, but the flavor was much more balanced and included more of the tartness and acidity that I tend to enjoy. Enjoyable and refreshing on a warm day, though a little more cabonation is needed to make this one worth while. I'll try another batch, but will pass on this one for now.

Bottle: Poured a light red/brown color lambic with no head or carbonation. Aroma of funk and horse blanket is quite strong with some very subtle strawberry in the back. Taste is mix of sour and funky lambic with an extra dose of horse blanket with some faint strawberry also noticeable. Not sure if this lack some aging or if the balance is wrong but definitely not one the best lambic fruit that I have tasted.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I spent $14 for this 375 ml bottle, and the beer is completely flat. I'm usually a pretty easy grader, but I hate buying flat beer, and I really hate spending this much money on flat beer. If this beer was even lightly carbonated, it might actually be OK, but it sucked because it was flat.

3.04/5  rDev -18.7%

Tum tum te tum tum...

Pours a golden honey color. No head at all, which worries me some. The carbonation, what there is of it, doesn't really rise - the bubbles cling to the side of the glass...Obviously no lacing...

Aromas are barnyard, which is slightly typical for the style. I get horse stall, some sour funk, and a lot of citrus. A hint of sweetness...

Almost forgot the basics: $8.99/12 oz. bottle and 6% ABV..Very expensive...

Unbelievable sour...This is the most sour I've ever tasted. It's like eating an unripe grapefruit. Almost too one dimensional..I hardly can get to any of the other flavors or nuances in this. This is the Clubber Lang of ales. One trick, but it's powerful. If it were a woman, it would be Linda Lovelace...There is some good stuff unbderneath the sour, but it's almost impossible to reach. My tongue is starting to pucker. Crikey...It even tingles my nose...No carbonation in the glass, so nothing to take the edge off...Too bad, if this were fresh I'd bet it'd be much better. As it is, it's novelty only.

What I like most: The nice funky aroma profile.

What I like least: The unbelievably overpowering sour..

Verdict: Too expensive to drink when it's not fresh. Look elsewhere.

3.06/5  rDev -18.2%

375ml bottle thanks to Sandstone. Vintage 2000.

Pours clear light golden with minimal head.

Aroma is pretty unpleasant. Definitely some fart/diaper in there, along with sweaty gym socks and sweaty horseblanket or elephant coverer. Oh yeah, some tart strawberry in there too.

Flavor is much better, but still not great. Lots of strawberry and even a little sweat malt. Barnyard and ever so slight diaper. Yes I have actually eaten all of these things, so don't doubt me on this. Only mildly tart.

Medium bodied and a little flat on the palate.

Drinkability is above average. Overall, still not the biggest fan of Hanssens.

3.08/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Interesting smell To this. Strawberry flavor to finish with an overseeing sour tasteoup front. Clean smooth slightly acidic finish

3.1/5  rDev -17.1%

Pours a clear copper color with no head at all.
Aroma is strawberry, some kind of wierd dirt smell, and a pervasive tart sourness, like moldy lemons.
Flavor is strange. Fruity, with a moldy sharpness all the way through, finishing very very dry. I'm not really sure I like this stuff. A still beer, with an odd semi-effervescence in the middle. I've never had carbonation like this before. It's so interesting that it keeps asking for another sip.
The beer started to irritate my stomach about half way through, and i couldn't finish it. It felt too acidic. I got my girlfriend to drink as much of it as I could pawn off, and we had to pour the rest. I felt terrible, considering that it's such a hard to find (expensive) beer, but I don't think I'm ready for stuff like this, and neither is my digestive system.

3.12/5  rDev -16.6%

375 ml bottle share with oglmcdgl, thanks for the company.

A- Extremely flat pour with little to no head or lacing, but the color of a great big sunflower pedal.

S- Funk, Funk, Funky, Just like I like it. Sour with bits of fruit like lemons and green apples. Defiantly barn yard and hay with a bid of vinegar in the mix.

T- Sour like deluded vinegar water that I clean my window with at home. Then the lemonyness hits you and then at the end, at the very end you can taste unripeness strawberries.

M- The body is really missing here, I keep trying to find the carbonation, but it just not there. I even out of desperation do my best to aerate what's in my mouth and still nothing. I feel as if i might just be drinking the vinegar water that i clean my window with.

D- I like it enough, not enough to buy this same year again, I just wish that there was more to the mouth feel here.

3.12/5  rDev -16.6%

07/31/05- Purchased at Beltramo's in Menlo Park, CA

Presentation- 375ml caged and corked bottle. Year 2000 bottle. Poured into my Lindemann's Lambic flute.

Appearance- Opened with no pop, not even a fizz or anything. Pours a bright orange with no head whatsoever. Lacing is pretty much non existant as well. Did I wait to long on this one?

Smell- Barnyard stench. Leather, rotted fruit, horse dung, you name it. If you really sniff hard you can detect a nice scent of strawberry.

Taste- Ultra sour at first, with a mixture of sweet strawberry. This beer calms down towards the middle and becomes much less tart and overbearing. The starwberry flavor just didn't do it for me though.

Mouthfeel- Almost like drinking a weak lambic sryup. No carbonation whatsoever. A very dead beer. No life in it at all.

Drinkability- Still very new to the lambic scene. Hopefully I will come across the better ones than this.

Oudbeitje Lambic from Hanssens Artisanaal bvba