Oudbeitje Lambic | Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Added by NeroFiddled on 08-20-2002

View: Beers
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I spent $14 for this 375 ml bottle, and the beer is completely flat. I'm usually a pretty easy grader, but I hate buying flat beer, and I really hate spending this much money on flat beer. If this beer was even lightly carbonated, it might actually be OK, but it sucked because it was flat.

3.04/5  rDev -18.7%

Tum tum te tum tum...

Pours a golden honey color. No head at all, which worries me some. The carbonation, what there is of it, doesn't really rise - the bubbles cling to the side of the glass...Obviously no lacing...

Aromas are barnyard, which is slightly typical for the style. I get horse stall, some sour funk, and a lot of citrus. A hint of sweetness...

Almost forgot the basics: $8.99/12 oz. bottle and 6% ABV..Very expensive...

Unbelievable sour...This is the most sour I've ever tasted. It's like eating an unripe grapefruit. Almost too one dimensional..I hardly can get to any of the other flavors or nuances in this. This is the Clubber Lang of ales. One trick, but it's powerful. If it were a woman, it would be Linda Lovelace...There is some good stuff unbderneath the sour, but it's almost impossible to reach. My tongue is starting to pucker. Crikey...It even tingles my nose...No carbonation in the glass, so nothing to take the edge off...Too bad, if this were fresh I'd bet it'd be much better. As it is, it's novelty only.

What I like most: The nice funky aroma profile.

What I like least: The unbelievably overpowering sour..

Verdict: Too expensive to drink when it's not fresh. Look elsewhere.

3.06/5  rDev -18.2%

375ml bottle thanks to Sandstone. Vintage 2000.

Pours clear light golden with minimal head.

Aroma is pretty unpleasant. Definitely some fart/diaper in there, along with sweaty gym socks and sweaty horseblanket or elephant coverer. Oh yeah, some tart strawberry in there too.

Flavor is much better, but still not great. Lots of strawberry and even a little sweat malt. Barnyard and ever so slight diaper. Yes I have actually eaten all of these things, so don't doubt me on this. Only mildly tart.

Medium bodied and a little flat on the palate.

Drinkability is above average. Overall, still not the biggest fan of Hanssens.

3.08/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Interesting smell To this. Strawberry flavor to finish with an overseeing sour tasteoup front. Clean smooth slightly acidic finish

3.1/5  rDev -17.1%

Pours a clear copper color with no head at all.
Aroma is strawberry, some kind of wierd dirt smell, and a pervasive tart sourness, like moldy lemons.
Flavor is strange. Fruity, with a moldy sharpness all the way through, finishing very very dry. I'm not really sure I like this stuff. A still beer, with an odd semi-effervescence in the middle. I've never had carbonation like this before. It's so interesting that it keeps asking for another sip.
The beer started to irritate my stomach about half way through, and i couldn't finish it. It felt too acidic. I got my girlfriend to drink as much of it as I could pawn off, and we had to pour the rest. I felt terrible, considering that it's such a hard to find (expensive) beer, but I don't think I'm ready for stuff like this, and neither is my digestive system.

3.12/5  rDev -16.6%

375 ml bottle share with oglmcdgl, thanks for the company.

A- Extremely flat pour with little to no head or lacing, but the color of a great big sunflower pedal.

S- Funk, Funk, Funky, Just like I like it. Sour with bits of fruit like lemons and green apples. Defiantly barn yard and hay with a bid of vinegar in the mix.

T- Sour like deluded vinegar water that I clean my window with at home. Then the lemonyness hits you and then at the end, at the very end you can taste unripeness strawberries.

M- The body is really missing here, I keep trying to find the carbonation, but it just not there. I even out of desperation do my best to aerate what's in my mouth and still nothing. I feel as if i might just be drinking the vinegar water that i clean my window with.

D- I like it enough, not enough to buy this same year again, I just wish that there was more to the mouth feel here.

3.12/5  rDev -16.6%

07/31/05- Purchased at Beltramo's in Menlo Park, CA

Presentation- 375ml caged and corked bottle. Year 2000 bottle. Poured into my Lindemann's Lambic flute.

Appearance- Opened with no pop, not even a fizz or anything. Pours a bright orange with no head whatsoever. Lacing is pretty much non existant as well. Did I wait to long on this one?

Smell- Barnyard stench. Leather, rotted fruit, horse dung, you name it. If you really sniff hard you can detect a nice scent of strawberry.

Taste- Ultra sour at first, with a mixture of sweet strawberry. This beer calms down towards the middle and becomes much less tart and overbearing. The starwberry flavor just didn't do it for me though.

Mouthfeel- Almost like drinking a weak lambic sryup. No carbonation whatsoever. A very dead beer. No life in it at all.

Drinkability- Still very new to the lambic scene. Hopefully I will come across the better ones than this.

3.13/5  rDev -16.3%

3.14/5  rDev -16%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

A 375ml corked and caged bottle with a notched Lotnr of H (not sure what this means). Then there are two dates. The first I translated from Dutch to: “to consume preferably before” 7th August 2027. The second I translated from French to: “best before” 7th August 2034. Not sure why there are two different dates for different languages. Poured into a Cantillon ballon glass.

Appearance: A lightly hazy dark golden orange colour with no head and no lacing.

Aroma: Oak, vinegar, acidity, strawberry and funky.

Taste: Sour, tart and acidic with notes of vinegar and berries.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with extremely low to no carbonation and quite a harsh acidic feel.

Overall: For me, this could use more carbonation. In addition, I wasn’t really getting much strawberries in the flavour, and any berry flavour I did get was quite light. The main thing though was the quite harsh acidity as each swallow felt a light burn on my throat.

3.2/5  rDev -14.4%

Slightly modified version of the Lambic on-tap at CBS. This one was aged in baby bourbon barrels. Poured into a small-sized goblet.

Appearance: Like a slightly hazy apple cider with essentially zero carbination to speak of. Any trace of lacing is non-existent.

Smell: Strong vinegar and tart up front followed by the barrel...mostly woodiness with subtle hints of the bourbon. Some fruitiness, probably strawberries, but you really have to go searching for it. Based on smell alone, not sure if aging a lambic in bourbon is the brightest idea.

Taste: And I was right. The combination of bourbon and sour fruity tartness just does not go well together. Perhaps with the properly chosen fruit, but strawberries? Nuh-uh.

Mouthfeel: Actually much better than I expected, considering the zero carbination present in the beer. Glad this one felt thicker than other lambics I've had. Quite refreshing as well.

Overall: I consider Hannsens' original version of the lambic to be average at best from the start. I just thought that perhaps the bourbon might have been its secret weapon to sway me, but I was dead wrong. It actually made it worse. I think that was probably the last straw and won't be returning to Hanssens' offering of a lambic anymore.

3.22/5  rDev -13.9%

Bottled Feb 2013
Poured with no head a murky orange
Smell is quite sour and fruity with a little vinegar
Taste was very disappointing. like burnt popcorn soaked in vinegar.
Mouthfeel was alright, although completely flat

3.23/5  rDev -13.6%

3.25/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Date: 4/5/14
Location: Bierkraft
Glassware: Tulip
Appearance: Almost clear gold to amber beer that pours with almost no head. Next to no carbonation. Slightly viscous, the beer momentarily grabs the sides before falling back.
Aromatics: Very pungently sour bordering on soy sauce. I pick up the yeast which is souring then a touch of fruit- strawberries.
Flavor: The beer is tastes more appropriate as a lambic then the aroma did. The sour flavors are more balanced with the strawberry. The sourness is still bordering on soy.
Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is very simple, light, nothing harsh nothing lasting.

Oudbeitje Lambic from Hanssens Artisanaal bvba