Scarenbecca Kriek | Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

3.88 w/ 214 ratings
Scarenbecca KriekScarenbecca Kriek

Hanssens Artisanaal bvba

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Lambic brewed with wild Belgian Schaerbeek sour cherries.

Added by aerozeppl on 12-19-2010

Liked:
3.88/5
Alströms:

3.6/5  rDev -7.2%

12.7 oz. bottle opened by BucketBoy on 12.31.2010. Thanks!

I didn't hear this one open - just a small twist and the cork was soundlessly out. A vigorous pour reveals a bright, blood red beer with sparse, large pink bubbles.

Nose is initially that of (sweet) maraschino cherry syrup with a citrus underbelly. The Hanssens bacterial funkiness, at least here and in Oudbeitje, is vinegar mixed with a certain mineral character.

It's tart without being overly acidic. The schaerbeek cherries are vibrant, making me think of cherry pie, but are more sweet than sour. There's a tiny bit of oak, but the lack of carbonation really quiets the funkiness of the bugs, rendering this kriek a bit one-note. Citric acid shows in the mid-palate, finishing slightly dryly, with some tannic / bitter fruit skin character.

The tricky part. It's almost completely flat. So far as I understand it, Hanssens' experimental cassis and framboise are unblended lambics, meant to be flat. But this, like the Oudbeitje, should have some carbonation. (Someone correct me via BM if I'm wrong here.) I almost want more acidity to balance the lack of carbonation.

All that aside, this has a nice balance of sweet/tart, pleasant citric acidity, and little funk, and my 6 oz. pour disappeared quickly.

Not as good as other schaerbeek beers I've had, and the price point, two dollars per ounce, borders on the absurd (though I know the cherries are hard to find). Pleased to have tried this.

3.61/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.66/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Bottle. This has got to be at least 5 years old. Pours flat and dark red. Like a really concentrated Shirley Temple. Aroma is of earthy funk, sweet red fruit, and tart cherry. Flavor doesn't add much complexity but it is fairly yummy. Unfortunately, this is flat as hell. 4-6 years was too much for this cork. Tastes decent but it needs some bubbly pick-me-up.

3.69/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

3.69/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: No pop as I remove the cork. Pours an opaque cherry red color with a tiny bubbly head that fizzles to nothing.
S: Acidic cherries, vinegar, light oak. A bit of that signature Hanssens funk, but not as big as other examples I have had from them.
T: At first the acidic character is pretty strong, but seems to diminish with each sip. Tannin like oak and cherry skins. Light earthy funk as well.
M/D: A light body that is almost completely flat. Which makes this really lifeless. Because you don't get much relief from the acidic cherries, this is really one noted and a little slow to sip on.

I enjoy the tannin like oak, and acidic cherries with a bit of skin. Though there is not much else. With the flat carbonation there is no relief, and that is all you get. Because of the price, and there are much better examples, not something I am reaching for often. Though once in a while, this is enjoyable.

3.71/5  rDev -4.4%

Pours a murky dark red with a foamy reddish-tan head that fades to nothing. No lacing on the drink down. Smell is sour with malt, cherry, earth, and funk aromas. Taste is much the same with sour cherry, earth, funk, and acidic flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of acidity on the palate with each sip. This beer has a low level of carbonation with an almost flat mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer that is tasty, but the smell has slightly better sour cherry aspects in my opinion.

Serving type: bottle.

3.72/5  rDev -4.1%

poured into a stemmed drie fonteinen glass

pours a deep ruby red. quite dark with hints of pink in the light. no head what so ever.

deep ripe fresh cherry. very light dry oak. not very complex but very nice cherry.

again, deep ripe cherry. very fresh tasting. barely sour up front with only a light sourness through the finish on the back of the tongue. very soft oak.

dead flat over all. it takes away from the flavor IMO.

good overall but NOT worth the $20 price tag.

3.74/5  rDev -3.6%

Bottle purchased at WLV Liquors and poured into Narke tulips (one for me, one for the fiance).

A - Pours ruby red, flat, ultra-thin collar.

S - Tart/sour cherries right up front, barnyard, maybe a touch of sweetness from the cherries, pretty sharp tartness. Has some complexity, actually more then I thought it would have.

T - Similar to the nose, perhaps a bit more one-dimensional. Tart/sour cherries, oak, barn, funk, vinegar, cherry skins dipped in balsamic. No real sweetness like I picked up in the nose, just lots of cherries notes and funk. Finish is all cherries with a tart kick.

M - Light body, no carbonation, dry puckering finish.

O - Good, nothing crazy here and (I don't normally say this) for the price, a bit too expensive. I would rather have Drie Fonteinen Schaerbeekse Kriek for $10 (or so) more with double the beer. I wouldn't probably buy this again, based on price alone, but I would have it again if offered up by someone else.

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%

Served from bottle into a Delirium Tremens snifter. Poured blood red with a very very minimal slight pink head. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, dark fruit, and funk. The flavor was of sweet malt, dark fruit, slight sour, and slight tart. It had a light feel on the palate with no real carbonation to speak of. Overall this one might have been flat when I had it, but the flavor on it was still quite nice. In my opinion, the flavor was nicer than the aroma for sure. This one is worth trying if you are a lambic/gueze fan, but I wouldn't make this one my first of the style.

3.86/5  rDev -0.5%

I bought this at the Beer Stein in Portland, my first experience with Hanssen product. I read some reviews here so knew what to expect.

The colour was a deep slightly cloudy red, there was zero head as expected and only the sound of the cork coming out of the bottle.

The smell definitely gave me some barnyard funk with a more subdued cherry aroma

The taste to me was definitely sour cherry with some funk but I found the metallic almost copper taste was almost overpowering the sour cherries. The tartness was satisfying as it turned on the saliva glands on the way by.

The mouth feel was very light, almost like water with virtually no viscosity and was slightly disappointing.

Overall I was hoping for something more at the $23 price point, but it won't turn me away from trying anything else I see from Hanssens

Scarenbecca Kriek from Hanssens Artisanaal bvba