Avec Les Bons Voeux | Brasserie Dupont sprl

Avec Les Bons VoeuxAvec Les Bons Voeux

Brasserie Dupont sprl
brasserie-dupont.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Les Bons Voeux means best wishes, which is what Brasserie Dupont sends with this very special saison ale brewed for the holidays. Redolently aromatic, rich and velvety.

Rich gold color, fragrant (lemony with hints of pepper, banana and clove), as all the beers of Dupont are with a full, deep malt richness that lingers on your tongue for what seems the whole holiday season. Considered by some the finest offering from this unparalleled Brewery. “The best Belgian beer, if ever there could be such an award...a sumptuous, seductive 9.5% beer. Because of it’s intensity, I would recommend the novice graduate to this beer. However, if a saison that is starting to lean towards being a triple appeals to you, and if its in season, don’t hesitate.”

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-18-2002

Ratings: 1,403 |  Reviews: 627

Yikes. Drinking this from draught has I type. Never had this beer before. The standard saison from Dupont is one of my all time favorite beers and this "super" version is not disappointing. Hazy blonde with much head. Aromas of lemons, honey and faint bananas. Tastes amazing! Super saison indeed. Big citrus zest and sourdough flavours. Hoppier than I was expecting which is fine by me. Finishes slightly sweet for a saison, but is rather dry considering it's 9.5% abv. Yeah, good stuff.

Lately I have been going a little crazy on this style, trying every one that I can get my mitts on. This one pours a murky golden color similar to the look of an orange creamsickle. Heading is small, white, and leaves a white ring around the glass. Aroma is surprisingly like a creamsickle as well, with lots of cream, milk, orange, lemon, and even a bit of pie crust. Taste starts off incredibly creamy, with tons of vanilla and milk. It then becomes more citrusy, with light tropical fruits such as orange, mango and pineapple especially. Body of this one is in the middle, and the alcohol is virtually nonexistent in the flavor. You can definitely feel it after a glass or two, but everywhere else it is downright ghostly. After drinking a full champaign bottle to myself, I am kicking myself for not purchasing another bottle aka this stuff is damn drinkable. I drove to Julios today to pick up a few bottles of Alesmith IPA, expecting to be blown away by that beer. Instead, I came home with one of these and have found one of the best beers I have ever tasted. My first perfect score for a beer, and a well deserved one. I have to imagine that Hennepin is somewhat modeled after this beer, as the two seem very similar in their sweet/sour profiles. Fucking exquisite beer that I cannot wait to taste again. Cheers

I finally procured a couple of 750ml bottles at my neighborhood Whole Foods, in early December. Carbonation and lacing were superb, with some of the yeast sediment settling on top of the head. This ale is very drinkable, the fruity spice overtones explode in your mouth before swallowing. My only gripe with this fantastic beer is the green bottle; I believe it would have a much longer shelf life and be less prone to turning if bottled in brown glass.

4.97/5  rDev +19.5%

"Les Bon Vouex" - Best Wishes indeed! Dupont really nailed it with this one, wow - this is one fine beer! Poured from a 750ml bottle into my St. Feullien chalice, the saison is a hazy orange with a pillowy, 2 finger white head, which sticks around long enough, fading to surface skim and a bit of scattered lace. The label was different then that pictured, it has an older parchment look, and has a big "III" before the title, wonder what that represents? Had this not been a bit more straw colored, it would be a perfect 5.
The aroma is very minerally with a bit of sugar, booze and spice, classic saison. As it warms, it goes from moderate to strong, in a very enjoyable way. Sweet and sour, this is what I want,saison or not.
The taste was smooth and very complex, fantastic! I should say this is one of my all time favorite beers from my favorite style. That said, I've had it before, so there is not a first impression bias here. The flavor had notes of brett funk, tart fruit, phenols, a firm dry bitterness and lots of bicarbonate. It is peppery, yeasty and musty, with notes of straw and honey. I love the dry, mineral finish of saisons...the fact that they were able to maintain all of that and still amp up the richness is a perfect example of why Belgium brews are so highly regarded.
The mouthfeel is spritzy and medium bodied. Smooth as velvet yet still tangy and lively, I could swish this all night.
The drinkability for this is about as high as it gets. Fabulous at the first sip, and an infinite amount of layers to peel back, as approachable as it is, the Avec Les Bons Voeux is made for the enjoyment of the true connoisseur . From what I understand, it as originally made as DuPont's special New Years brew for the staff...lucky dogs!
Bottom line, this beer is the bomb...there are very few I'd choose before this, Fantome Ete of course, and regular Fatome, particularly on FRESH draft. If you see it, grab them and save for a memorable night of enjoyment! I chose this last bottle for watching Pitt lose the Sweet 16 to UCLA, *sigh*, at least it was Jamie Dixon's mentor, Pitt's last coach, Ben Howland. Still sucks!

4.92/5  rDev +18.3%

Seemed a good day to finally pull this one out of the fridge and give it a go. Loud pop of the cork, 2006 vintage.

Appearance is exactly what I expected - cloudy gold body under a big old head.

Nose really opens up as it warms - lots to pick out....the lovely musty back-corner-of-the-barn smell recognizable from Saison Dupont and others, lemon, spices...a pungent field of weeds. Can detect a little alcohol. Interesting, now I get a pretty distinct cooked oatmeal smell coming through, with the final yeast pour.

Taste to me seems a lot like a regular Saison Dupont but with added kick ("Imperial" Saison?") Lots of spiciness to be had, alcoholic and otherwise, Lemony hops amid funky yeast and alcohol in the finish leaves a trail of unripe fruit residue in the back of the mouth.

Mouthfeel is perfect. Aggressively carbonated with quite a dry finish, it never feels all that heavy, a nice feat given the size of this beer. Almost a bit thin, but this seems to suit the beer very well.

Drinkability - Exceptional for such a big saison. Share it with a friend....but you're probably gonna want the whole bottle, trust me. Great beer. Basically a perfect beer. Very little more I can ask of this one. Drinkable enough for the average Friday evening, but more than classy and refined enough for a special occasion. Would pair well with just about anything. I'm sad to see this nearly all done. I love saisons, and this one just kicks ass. With this beer, the world comes into focus. I think my liquor store has a few more bottles of it...a tip of the hat to the brewer. In the words of the PGA Tour, "These guys are good."

***UPDATE - I feel compelled to review a 2009 bottle....drinking on 12/20/2009, this is easily the freshest bottle of Avec Les Bons Voeux I've ever had. I'm going to take a fresh look at the beer that really got me into the saison/farmhouse style, my favorite style.

Knowing a little bit more about beer than I did when I first reviewed this, I wondered if this was really a saison at 9.5%. I poured. Yeah, OK, it looks like a typical "Liquid Sunshine" saison. Smell? Definitely all saison. So perfumey, and so HOPPY too...oh man, I think I love this even more so fresh. A few sips confirm it....this is all saison, and a hoppy one at that. It's beautiful. I'm bumping the taste up to 5. Lot of Saaz or Goldings....this is one of the hoppiest saisons I've ever had.

***Further note, I do not suggest aging this. I had a 2004 not too long ago, and it was something of a sweet mess. Gone was the amazing perfumey dryness. In its place was a sweet, gooey Cointreau flavor. If you have 'em, I say drink them. There's not much to be gained by aging this, as good as it is fresh.

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

This poured a cloudy copper, little yeasts floating in it, and an unbelievable, meringue head..that lasts and lasts...
musky aroma of hops, fruit.
hops hit up front, mellows to a vanilla type flavor,
mouthfeel, is crisp, and creamy.
This went down,Sooo nicely, a real treat!
excellent beer, "beer", is almost not a sufficient word...excellent stuff.

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

Hazy, pale sunshine in hue with a straw influence; the shading is absolutely lovely. It is perfect! Who said a great looking beer needed to be dark and intimidating? Massive frothy head, there was easily four fingers of foam at the apex. Head retention was very good; slowly the bubbles subsided to a thick, chunky cap. Lacing started before I even took a sip, which I love. A small cap lasted the entire consumption. The subsequent lacing was widespread, disorganized… it is a webby maze. Overall, this is one lovely beer. It is flawless.

I love Saisons. I love Dupont. All it took was one sniff and I fell in love with this beer. It is awesome. There is a summer breeze… very airy with perfume from apples, pears, lemon zest, apricots, and a subtle array of tropical fruits. Marshmallows, kisses of cloves, plus there is an herbal sprig, with pepper at the end. Vaguely alcoholic at the back, I even detect a trace of maltiness. The bouquet is truly awesome. It is the prototypical Saison only enhanced (beefed-up?) but not “Americanized” (fucked-up?), the craftsmanship is very apparent. Wow. Moderate potency; very inviting… I am taking a sip (finally!).

The palate is captivating. I am in awe at the articulation. Like the nose there is a lovely airiness to the palate. Apples, pears, lemon zest, and apricots are the fruity notes. I cannot forget the herbal blend with undercurrents of clove and, I swear, there is a kiss of coriander. I can’t forget the marshmallows, pepper, and a light alcohol burn towards the finish. Plus it is sweet, malty with a fruity finish… hot and peppery aftertaste with some juiciness. To state it bluntly this beer is hot, spicy, juicy, and bitter. To state is even more simply, this beer is wonderful. I am a huge fan of Saison Dupont but Avec Les Bons Voeux is a much better beer. My definition of great Saison has just been adjusted. This is just as good as (better than?) the best Fantome Saison. I never thought I’d say that.

Slightly fuller than medium, the carbonation is ticklish and spritzy; it is very playful on the tongue. The carbonation would allow this beer to be consumed with fatty, rich foods. In general Saisons are versatile but this beer might the king. I’m in love.

I’m coming to the realization that this beer will be my new “highest rated” beer on BA. It is the closest thing to perfection I’ve tasted and it is clearly the best Saison I’ve had. I am stunned at how great this beer is! I am one happy dude right about now. Thank you mdinges, you’ve made my day. I want many more bottles of this. I’m officially spoiled. World Class. Highly Recommended.

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

appearance: poured this right after I brought it back from the store, so the yeast was mixed in bassically. bright orange color that is completly imperrivius to any light. giant head that takes up over half of the wine glass, looking like lemon merrange. lacing is slowly left beyond. looking very dupont. bottle is very class looking as well, would do well at a fancy dinner.

smell: smelling lots of pepper, that dry smell that I get in the other dupont saison's. the yeast is providing tons here. good, but not too much complexity. yet i love that pepper smell, so good.

taste: the first taste is almost underwelming. then you realize how good this is and how much restrait is in the taste.the grains get a chance to shine, of course backed by the yeast and "a kiss of the hops." I,m tasting melon, rum, and sugar. the end of the finish brings a dry bitterness typical of saisons, only this one is less dry than either foret or regular dupont. no trace of the 9.5 alcohol, which is great, i don't really enjoy booze taste so much.

moutfeel: very light, as light as any beer i've had. it doesn't feel watery at all. it feels almost lighter than water somehow.

drinkability: damn hard to use restrait on this one. this is not a sipper, it just goes down so smooth. everytime i time i take a drink i'm tempted to drink the entire glass, which i end up doing a few times. nothing wrong with that but 9.5 is a strong one.

i love saisons and this may be the best i've had yet, if not one of the best beer's i've ever had. I can see this becoming a staple. The second half of the bottle went extremly well with Mexican food. (i'm sure it would kick ass with Thai or Vietnamese as well.)

4.87/5  rDev +17.1%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass.

Big orange and yellow almost banana like edges on the side of the glass. Slightly opaque, but a huge roaring column of carbonation on the middle. Huge frothy and I mean frothy growing head with a thick creamed off white cap, almost vanilla crème color, with an island puck. Sides repopulate with rising carbonation on the side to make white bubbles as they hit the ring top. Pretty much a textbook saison folks, and Belgian looking greatness.

Kapow on the bouquet. Huge farmhouse notes, with a real dry sense. Hints of cream sweetness but with a big funk and huge amounts of earth and dirt fresh soil. Some faint even surprising hints of peach fruit. The sweet character is very surprising if a bit unexpected, but this is just all over the place and impressive as hell.

Palate just pushes all the right buttons. Big contrast on the palate of juicy fruit quality and a large funk and earth dryness. Mouthfeel somehow manages a crisp intense dryness, but a thick coating malt body with creamy sweetness. Thick notes of peach and apricot fruit sweetness. Crisp and dry mellow wild and dry yeast qualities, that balance the palate perfectly. Hints of mellow sucrose, almost giving it a big wine riesling sweet fruit character.

Why in the hell have I put off trying this beer for so dam long? Just fantastic stuff.!

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

2005.

It pours a blurred goldenrod stacked with a slowly melting wall of ivory.

The nose presents first as smallish, and possibly narrow, then the initial inhalations are belied by a deepened and kaleidoscopic array of herbs, and various dried things, as it exudes hay bales, tarragon, bay leaves, dandelions, dried peaches, sawdust, cement, oatmeal, vanilla, and a perfumed white vinousness roughly akin to Gewürztraminer.
It should be noted that this needs to approach room temperature for the aroma to come out fully.

Across the tongue, it sticks true to its dry motif. Hay, weeds, and bleached grains scrape by first. It leaves the door ajar just enough so that a faint sweetness can eke out a place, with orange and lemon rinds and wildflower honey. But dry this remains and ever will. Yeast settles in early and throws about hallucinatory overtures of sandalwood, vanilla pod, tarragon, thyme, cobwebbed basements, uric acid, hazelnuts, and multi-colored peppercorns. Alcohol-associated flavors are virtually shut out of the flavor, though it carries through with that perfumed, anise- and spice-laden Gewürztraminer wine suggestion from the nose. The hops wash away a microsecond of heat with their fresh bay leaves, snapped long grasses, continued pepper hues, and a lingering weedy pulp.
The body is a literal down pillow of cottony mouthfeel and supple carbonation to allow a 9.5% ABV beer such as this to melt in the mouth like so much cotton candy. That's a tired cliché, I know, but it's as applicable here as anywhere. Honestly, this barely materializes as 6%, and its feel and structure is to credit..or to blame tomorrow.
Drinkability is only a consideration when one still has the capacity to judge what needs to be accomplished the following day. And this compromises moderation with haste. Once that goes, it tends toward the infinite...and the comatose.

A huge suggestion is to let this warm well beyond fridge temps, because the warmer this gets, the deeper it goes. I feel like I only scratched the surface.

When and if you find it, buy it all....every last one
It's a mind-shatterer.

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Avec Les Bons Voeux from Brasserie Dupont sprl