Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Avec Les Bons Voeux | Brasserie Dupont sprl

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review
Avec Les Bons VoeuxAvec Les Bons Voeux

Brasserie Dupont sprl
Belgium | website

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-18-2002

Reviews: 600 | Ratings: 1,304
4.58/5  rDev +9.6%

Appearance - Nothing to complain about at all. Hard to find fault with a beer thats pure gold, and has a billowing white head that is a work of art. Yeast floats around like leaves in the wind and settles to the bottom of the glass.

Smell - Smells like a farmhouse ale. Soft spice with a creamy sweet apple pear aroma.

Taste & Mouthfeel - Tangy with a magnificent honey sweetness, but just a touch enough to complement the sourness. Lemon, pepper, and clove make up the body, and give it a little bit of a hefe-weizen touch. Mouthfeel is very dry and crisp with a very well hidden alcohol for 9.5%. I'm sipping it, but I could drink it so much quicker as it feels lighter than it really is.

Drinkability - A fine saison, and a damn fine one at that. I think I would go as far as to say that Brasserie Dupont has this whole saison thing down.

4.58/5  rDev +9.6%

Serving: 750ml bottle into my Arrogant Bastard Ale glass.

A: Pours cloudy pale yellow with a full inch and a half of thick head. Lots of carbonation visible. Very, very nice.

S: Big on the Belgian yeast smell, bready, with fruity and spicy notes.

T: Dry at first, then peppery and spicy. Somewhat earthy and bitter on the finish. Fantastic Saison.

M: Very smooth in the mouth with bits of pepperiness and fizzy bite. Awesome.

O: Fantastic Saison, I'd have to put it near the top of my list. I would buy this again.

4.58/5  rDev +9.6%

I had a few of these on tap at My Place in Newtown, Ct.
Nice , gold, slightly cloudy appearance. Nice head to start, but dropped pretty quickly to a small collar.
Smells like clean citrus,yeast, malt and..hay?
Flavor was great ! ...really good balance of sweet , malt, slight fruit, with a medium mouthfeel...just right... then a slightly bitter finish. Just got better as the temperature increased; amazingly good ! This is the best Saison I've had.
Very drinkable...but the ABV is pretty high.
I also tried this one from the 750 bottle...very nice , but missing most of the sweetness, with more alcohol taste coming through.
I would definitely buy another bottle, but can't wait to have it on tap again.

Update 2/10/06....just had this again on tap...this is an amazing brew!!...actually wish it was lower in ABV so I could have a few
more. Avec Les Bon... DOH !!

4.57/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured for me at the back bar of Monk's.

A powdery yellow liquid greets me, with a very tiny coating of bubbles, which soon fades to a transparent film. Pretty.

Smell is rock candy (candi/invert sugar, I'm sure), dried papaya, orange peel, candied clementines, and a mist of saison yeast.

Taste explodes in the mouth with deeply candied and preserved fruits -- the aformentioned orange and papaya, gritty brown pears, rotting bananas, and glorious, glorious golden malt. Just unbelieveably delicious constantly evolving as the flavors, many as they are, develop and blossom on the palate. As it gets warm, these sensations only increase.

Mouthfeel is wonderful, pillow soft, keeping the dense liquid from ever becoming too cloying. There is a delightful breeziness here.

Drinkability is very good, although as I near the end of the glass, I consider that one, and maybe two, would be an appropriate sample.

All in all, a fantastic brew fresh (and I imagine a little age on a few bottles would be delightful as well). -- a saison on steroids, an imperial saison, whatever you want to catagorize it as, I call it only one thing: Delicious.

A world-class brew.

4.57/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a Chimay chalice from a 750 mil corked bottle. I notice the cork is labeled 2013 so I am a little worried it may be past it's prime even though it is a 9.5% saison.

Appearance - Golden color which to me is what I associate with a saison. Inviting with what I would describe as lively carbonation.

Smell - I don't know how to describe it, but it is definitely a Belgian beer smell. Not the most inviting taste. I can't associate to the smell of a food, herb etc.

Taste - For me the first taste was wow, an assault on my taste of smell that was possibly too much. A few sips into it and I am really enjoying this beer. I like a good saison, but the taste of saisons covers a large range and this is in the range I like.

Mouthfeel - Highly carbonated which I believe is standard for the style and what I would describe as light to medium feel.
Overall - This is a great beer, I liken it to an amped up version of Saison Dupont and I will definitely seek it out again.

4.57/5  rDev +9.3%

375mL, corked n' caged, purchased in Belgium. Best before January 2016.

Pours a glowing, cloudy orange with a nice, billowing head. Doesn't retain quite like I'd expect, though the lacing is nice.

The aroma is pungent and funky, with a sturdy hop presence.

Bitter, with a dry, slightly Bretty bite to it. Hop flavor is there too, in the form of mellow citrus and leafy bitterness. Really rindy and earthy. Hay and grain flavors come through a bit. Alcohol is present too, but about right for a 9.5% ABV brew. Mouthfeel is huge, fluffy and creamy. Great beer.

It is my humble opinion that this is one of the best Saisons available. If you see this beer, buy it. Lots of it.

4.57/5  rDev +9.3%

750ml caged and corked bottle. Cork has 2005 for date.

Pours a hazy golden yellow. Voluminous white head, dense and rocky. Lacing on the glass that resembles...well, it looks exactly like Belgian lace. Smells of lemon and sweet spice. Orange zest.

Taste is rich caramel and molasses. Hints of vanilla. Oaky with sherry notes. Lots o' alcohol as it finishes. Very dry finish, dires out quick from all the richly sweet flavors up front. In the finish, one taste comes out again and again: Juniper berries. Not sure if they're used but I couldn't get them out of my head. Mouth is dry and full bodied. This beer's a treat. I want more and I want more to age for a couple years.

4.56/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Aroma is sweet hay and coriander, appearanc eis hazy golden with thick fluffy head. Taste isspicy, some sweetness and mellow bitterness. Very complex and truly delicious.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle at Beer Bistro, 375ml into a tulip. Best before March 2016.

Pours a hazy matte orange, with generous carbonation. Brilliant white head with great amount of lacing left behind along with a solid amount of retention. Nose is fruity and spicy, some banana, peach and passionfruit. Yeasty with significant notes of clove and light pepper. Taste has similar exotic fruits and tropical notes, yeasty and gently spicy and peppery in the finish. Complex fruitiness and malts notes are prevalent throughout. Drying finish and sweet with only the slightest suggestion of alcohol. Perfect carbonation - high, but 'fuzzy' in texture on the tongue, just an absolutely fantastic sensation. Immensely satisfying, a gorgeous, complex and flavourful saison.

4.55/5  rDev +8.9%

A 750ml bottle, caged/corked (2006 edition). Poured to a pair of La Chouffe tulip glasses. This is the beer my wife and I chose to honor the memory of Michael Jackson, who we learned earlier today had passed away. RIP Beer Hunter...

A: A healthy 'pop' and this one is uncorked. Pours a thick, silky golden with a dusty haze of yeasty sediment. Over two fingers of dense white bubbly foam, ebbing slowly to a thin creamy cap. Carbonation billows to the cap abundantly, effervescent like champagne.

S: Pears, apples, peaches, zesty pepper & clove spiciness, all mingle in a wonderful aroma that drifts from the glass with every swirl. Doughy yeast, slightly grassy, very herbal.

T: Tart and crisp peach and apple flavors, backed with loads of bready maltiness. Cracked pepper, grassy/hay natural yeastiness, grainy and dry in the finish. Faintly medicinal bitterness and a slim trace of booze.

M: Surprising that more of the intense carbonation doesn't come through in the mouthfeel; thicker medium-fullness, heavy for a saison, but understandable for this robust version. Herbal bittering hangs on the back of the tongue, finishing dry and mostly clean otherwise.

D: With high marks across the board, this one certainly scores well when it comes to drinkability. On the handful of occasions we've tasted this beer before, it's stood alone or (in the case of the wonderful visit to Les Caves Dupont) with cheese. Tonight, however, we started by pairing it with dinner, a black pepper-seasoned chicken - thought it was a fine compliment. Fortunately there was enough left in the bottle to go with dessert, fresh peaches and strawberries and a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Oh man, that's beer pairing perfection! Outstanding in every way; easily drinkable, which is dangerous with that high ABV.

Highly recommended!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle poured into a tulip.

A: Straw yellow with a good amount of haze. Two and a half finger, flufffy off white head that has great retention and lacing.

S: Very nice funkiness. Nice Belgian yeast coming through along with apples, peach, lemon, and a slight coriander spiciness.

T: Exactly like the nose. A slight tartness upfront with the apples. The yeast, spiciness, and other fruits come in the middle along with the start of the funkiness. Finishes with an awesome funkiness and clove like flavor.

M: Light body. High carbonation that is just right. Very crisp and super dry.

O: Awesome Saison. Definitely becoming one of my favorite styles. Give this a try.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

2006 vintage. Rich honey with a hint of orange. A stationary cloud of fine yeast is being buffeted about by a generous amount of carbonation... that settles down within minutes of the pour. I love the look of the beer, but the sticky alabaster crown is a typical bit of Belgian magnificence.

I've been able to appreciate the room filling aroma since beer exited bottle. The nose is incredibly complex and doesn't contain much, if any, farmhouse funkiness. I'm fine with that since I can't drink wild ales every day. As far as aroma specifics... sugar-coated grain, sun-ripened orchard fruit (pears, apples), musky hops and a potpourri of warm spices.

Avec Les Bons Voeux is everything that I'd hoped it would be. It falls a half-step short of my favorite saisons, but it's still an exceptional Belgian ale. Perhaps I'll change my mind once I'm closer to the bottom of the bottle than the top. One of my first impressions is of alcohol (since it isn't often noticeable in a beer of this style). An ABV of 6.5-7.0% is easy to bury; 9.5%... not so much.

Bitter effortlessly supercedes both sweet and tangy. In fact, the beer is barely sweet at all. I can appreciate a honey-like flavor, without the honey-like sweetness. This Brasserie Dupont offering seems to be built around hops and spices. Each mouthful is a dizzying blast of bitter grass, lemon zest, white pepper, ground clove and coriander. There's also a delightful undertow of banana and bubblegum. Like I said... complex in the extreme.

I'm leaning toward awarding flavor perfection. The only thing that's holding me back is the alcohol. If the brewery would knock a few percentage points off the ABV, it would be an easy call. This is a tremendously drinkable, tremendously quenching beer because of its dry, crisp nature. Drink quickly at your own risk, however. Since I don't plan to drive my desk chair anywhere in the next several hours, I'll be fine.

There's no quibbling on the mouthfeel... it's simply stunning! Only the Belgian masters could create a beer that's so ethereally light, yet so creamy smooth and so expansive. Each mouthful blossoms in the mouth as if the laws of physics no longer apply. I find myself taking sips just to appreciate what happens tactilely.

Avec les Bons Voeux de la Brasserie Dupont, the beer's full name, translates as 'with the best wishes of the Brewery Dupont'. Thanks Brasserie Dupont. And thank you for this incredibly delicious, world-class saison. It may not be the best I've ever had (Fantome Saison), but it's close. Really, really close.

4.54/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed from notes from 12/16/12

A- Pours a hazy straw color with a thick white head and lively carbonation.

S- The aroma is bold, with huge notes of tart lemon, barnyard funk, and fresh herbs. Some banana notes from the Belgian yeast is also evident.

T- The first thing I notice in the flavor is some biting sour apple that I didn't initially pick up in the nose. The rest of the taste follows the nose with slight funk, crisp/refreshing tartness, and a bit of grassy bitterness from the herbs.

M- The mouthfeel is medium to thick, but it is offset by heavy carbonation. It is a bit reminiscent of a dry white wine.

O- This drinks very easy, and the 9.5% is completely unnoticable. One of my all time favorite saisons, even if it is pretty high in alcohol for the style!

4.53/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours a nice copper orange color. It has a nice pillowy white head. The nose is spicy with some citrus notes. The taste is excellent. Its nice and spicy but sweet and very east to drink. The mouthfeel is medium bodies and pretty good amount of carbonation. It's highly enjoyable and easy to drink. This is the perfect saison!

4.53/5  rDev +8.4%

bottle from Bruisin’ Ales, Asheville (12/2007)
Bar none the best Farmhouse I’ve had. Excellent with Spinning Spider (Madison County, NC) goat cheese -- chevre and goat gouda especially. I can’t say enough about the fine balance and quaffability of this one. I'll be buying this one each winter for sure.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From notes taken at the Armsby Abbey's yearly Belgian Christmas on 12/15.

A - Nice light golden appearance with a very, very thick two finger head that left MASSIVE side lacing.

S - Wow, huge huge huge brett funk aromas. Getting some light fruit and honey notes as well.

T - Huge brett notes. Funky, light citrus flavours. This is really an amazing saison! Nice and dry finish on the end.

M - Light and creamy with low carbonation thanks to the high ABV. Very smooth saison.

D - Great funk and a really, really enjoyable mouthfeel make this a sessionable strong saison.

4.53/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

750ml. Bottle
$9.99
Sam's Downer's Grove

Cork reads "2006"

Opened with a lot of "pop". Avec les Bons Voeux pours a beautiful slightly hazed golden that glows when held to the light. A big 3+ finger fluffy white head formed on the pour that receded to 2 fingers and became craggy and meringue like. Left thick drink lines. Very refreshing looking beer.

When I popped the cork I took a quick smell and was immediately reminded of champagne. When in the glass this beer smells exceptionally polished. All notes go together so cleanly it's difficult to pick them out. Mild floral aromas are present and mingle seamlessly with a faint haylike barnyard funkiness and candi sugar sweetness. Tart green apples come along too. Still shows champagne like qualities.

This is the best saison I've ever exierienced by a long shot. Yes this beer is an expierence. Wonderfully done. Faint sugary sweetness along with a very mild funkiness go perfectly with the floral undertones. Green apple tartness gets in the mix as well. As this beer warms the green apple shows through more and more. Very refreshing.

Light body with a solid amount of carbonation. Glides through the mouth very nicely. Leaves the tongue awakened. Finishes somewhat dry.

I could, without a doubt, drink this beer all day long. Refreshing and light bodied. Very easy to drink.

This is a world class beer and one of the best, most polished saisons I've ever had. Crisp and refreshing to the point of almost being too easy to drink, considering such a high abv. Wonderful creation.

4.53/5  rDev +8.4%

A summer of saisons, I sit on its doorstep ready for adventure. I kicked it all off with this beast, the Avec served to me by a dapper gentlemen in Portland.

The carbonation is too high.

That is my only complaint.

My praise, well, it has many facets. The green apples, the straw, the sunshine, the fields of nuanced delight dance across my tongue preparing me for hard work and long days. A hint of hops in there, just a hint of them makes the dry liquid bounce forward, makes it cry for celebration.

To drown in it would be a good way to die.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the 750ml bottle into a Gouden Carolus goblet.

A: A creamy wheatish color with a dense, creamy head and good carbonation supporting it. It's hazy, as you would expect from the style. Appealing, for sure.

S: Saison funk, nice aromatics, fresh spicy coriander.

T: Rich, creamy, sweet and thick. Tangy with just the right amount of carbonation bite. Orange candy, honey sweetness, peppery, light breadiness, mild frutiness, strawberries.

M: Super velvety, almost like an oatmeal stout with high carbonation. How did they pull this off?

D: A great saison. I love the creamy, yet effervescent, mouthfeel and the complex array of flavors. One of my favorites that I look forward to every year.

4.52/5  rDev +8.1%

Had on tap. Really nice seasonal ale. Pours golden red. Intense floral aroma of yeast, light fruits, and aromatic hops. Has a good deal of funk, but that only serves to complement the other flavors. has a great spicy funky, bready quality to it. Very smooth. Nice finish, An excellent farmhouse ale.

4.52/5  rDev +8.1%

Yet another standout from Dupont. All the usual features of their great saisons are here: bready aroma and taste mixed with citrus, clove and a bit of nutmeg, plus the usual barnyard funk. Impossible to go wrong with this brewery. This particular brew has a rather high ABV; given its easy drinkability, watch how you consume it. You won't want to play with sharp or valuable objects, sign important papers or change diapers afterward.

4.52/5  rDev +8.1%

Yellow labeled 750ml bottle with '2-2009' stamped alongside the cork.

I stare at the freshly uncorked vessel while vigorous carbonation builds an inch or so top hat at the neck of the bottle. It's starting to peek over the edge, so I'm going to start my first pour into my Chimay stemmed chalice...

Blub, blub, blub (pouring sounds) carefully tilting this heavenly elixir into my glass as not to release any of the yeast cake initially. A hazy yellowish gold liquid is alive with tone of very fine upward rising carbonation. The bright white head instantly regenerates itself, but stays at a true 1/2" or so. The head is loose and delicate, but still appears creamy. Thin and sporadic walls and sheets of lace.

Sour and sweetish notes permeate my nostrils, awakening my mid-afternoon lazy demeanor. Honeyish malts creep in and out of the citrus zest and burlap scents. This definitely smells like a wild Belgian ale of the highest quality. Super fresh and full of life. I might even detect a little bit of Sour Patch Kids in here as well (?).

Dry & fruity right off the bat. White grape skins and white pepper for sure. Cantaloupe rind and a faint hit of cucumber. A whisp of mint mixed with wonderful yeasty esters, which many BAs refer to as 'horse blanket' flavors. There's a bit of astringent alcohol at the finish, but it comes off more like white pepper (again) to me. I realize this is practically a 10% ABV beer, so it's very tolerable and really not at all offensive.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, but light as air, thanks to the superb fine kinetic and playful carbonation. Slightly spicy and chalky dry flavorful finish.

Drinkability is extra superb. I shall consume this entire bottle over the next hour with the cheerfulness of a Christmas caroler.

Overall a spectacular special New Year release from the grand daddy of all Belgian Saison producers. I've tried this a couple times over the past 6-7 years, but never came across any for retail purchase. So when I saw these over the holiday, I snagged 4 bottles. I'll savor this one and the remaining two will most likely be consumed when the soft nights of springtime arrive. On this chilly February's day, it's hitting all the right buttons for sure.

4.52/5  rDev +8.1%

This is my favorite Saison ever. I got this one at Brawleys in Charlotte NC.
Pours a perfectly amber slightly hazy body. Has a nice white finger length head and tons of carbonation.
Smells of amazingly balanced spices, hops and sweet malt layered over some belgian aromatic yeast. There's corriander, orange peel, and some spicey grassy german nobel hops. Nice mild yeast funk and some sweet caramel as well.
Taste unbelievably crisp, sweet, spicey, and dry all at the same time. There's great belgian caramel lighter to amber malts, some slight raison, and light golden malt sweetness similar to honey. There's some notes of corriander, ginger, clove, and orange peel. A little hop bitterness is laced between the spice and the obvious belgian dry funky backbone.
Mouthfeel is smooth and sharp on the finish.
Easy to drink and it's my favorite food pairing beer!

4.51/5  rDev +7.9%

2005 Vintage from Steve's Mineral Point for $6.99 a 750.

Yeasty straw gold (leaning toward orange) body with visibly aggressive carbonation and a voluminous white froth. The head eventually settles to a healthy skim with beautiful lacing.

Spicy aroma displays plenty of hay, saaz or similar hops, lemon, a bit of orange, and black pepper.

Dry, spicy body with lively carbonation that bites the tongue. Flavors of hay and lemon peal cojoin with wild flowers and vanilla.

Highly drinkable. In fact this is sessionable in the extreme.

4.51/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours a gorgeous sunset hazy orange. Super fine carbonation with 1-2 fingers of fluffy carbonation that dissipated quickly.

Aroma is of generic citrus, Belgian yeast, and a bit of wet hay. Not very impressing.

Taste makes up for the rather boring smell. Underlying the sip is a champagne-like carbonation that I love. Citrus, spicy/ complex Belgian yeast, a touch of clove, and a bit of alcohol warmth. Enough sweetness through the middle of the sip to compliment the flavors, yet It dries out perfectly near the finish.

Overall, this is a phenomenal beer. Light and refreshing yet complex and refined. I see this pairing well with a variety of different food pairings. A nice overly ripe french cheese and spicy salami board would work perfect. It gets a 90.5/100.

Avec Les Bons Voeux from Brasserie Dupont sprl