Avec Les Bons Voeux | Brasserie Dupont sprl

good
Read the review
Avec Les Bons VoeuxAvec Les Bons Voeux

Brasserie Dupont sprl
Belgium | website

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-18-2002

Reviews: 602 | Ratings: 1,309
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From notes taken at the Armsby Abbey's yearly Belgian Christmas on 12/15.

A - Nice light golden appearance with a very, very thick two finger head that left MASSIVE side lacing.

S - Wow, huge huge huge brett funk aromas. Getting some light fruit and honey notes as well.

T - Huge brett notes. Funky, light citrus flavours. This is really an amazing saison! Nice and dry finish on the end.

M - Light and creamy with low carbonation thanks to the high ABV. Very smooth saison.

D - Great funk and a really, really enjoyable mouthfeel make this a sessionable strong saison.

4.53/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

750ml. Bottle
$9.99
Sam's Downer's Grove

Cork reads "2006"

Opened with a lot of "pop". Avec les Bons Voeux pours a beautiful slightly hazed golden that glows when held to the light. A big 3+ finger fluffy white head formed on the pour that receded to 2 fingers and became craggy and meringue like. Left thick drink lines. Very refreshing looking beer.

When I popped the cork I took a quick smell and was immediately reminded of champagne. When in the glass this beer smells exceptionally polished. All notes go together so cleanly it's difficult to pick them out. Mild floral aromas are present and mingle seamlessly with a faint haylike barnyard funkiness and candi sugar sweetness. Tart green apples come along too. Still shows champagne like qualities.

This is the best saison I've ever exierienced by a long shot. Yes this beer is an expierence. Wonderfully done. Faint sugary sweetness along with a very mild funkiness go perfectly with the floral undertones. Green apple tartness gets in the mix as well. As this beer warms the green apple shows through more and more. Very refreshing.

Light body with a solid amount of carbonation. Glides through the mouth very nicely. Leaves the tongue awakened. Finishes somewhat dry.

I could, without a doubt, drink this beer all day long. Refreshing and light bodied. Very easy to drink.

This is a world class beer and one of the best, most polished saisons I've ever had. Crisp and refreshing to the point of almost being too easy to drink, considering such a high abv. Wonderful creation.

4.53/5  rDev +8.4%

A summer of saisons, I sit on its doorstep ready for adventure. I kicked it all off with this beast, the Avec served to me by a dapper gentlemen in Portland.

The carbonation is too high.

That is my only complaint.

My praise, well, it has many facets. The green apples, the straw, the sunshine, the fields of nuanced delight dance across my tongue preparing me for hard work and long days. A hint of hops in there, just a hint of them makes the dry liquid bounce forward, makes it cry for celebration.

To drown in it would be a good way to die.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the 750ml bottle into a Gouden Carolus goblet.

A: A creamy wheatish color with a dense, creamy head and good carbonation supporting it. It's hazy, as you would expect from the style. Appealing, for sure.

S: Saison funk, nice aromatics, fresh spicy coriander.

T: Rich, creamy, sweet and thick. Tangy with just the right amount of carbonation bite. Orange candy, honey sweetness, peppery, light breadiness, mild frutiness, strawberries.

M: Super velvety, almost like an oatmeal stout with high carbonation. How did they pull this off?

D: A great saison. I love the creamy, yet effervescent, mouthfeel and the complex array of flavors. One of my favorites that I look forward to every year.

4.54/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed from notes from 12/16/12

A- Pours a hazy straw color with a thick white head and lively carbonation.

S- The aroma is bold, with huge notes of tart lemon, barnyard funk, and fresh herbs. Some banana notes from the Belgian yeast is also evident.

T- The first thing I notice in the flavor is some biting sour apple that I didn't initially pick up in the nose. The rest of the taste follows the nose with slight funk, crisp/refreshing tartness, and a bit of grassy bitterness from the herbs.

M- The mouthfeel is medium to thick, but it is offset by heavy carbonation. It is a bit reminiscent of a dry white wine.

O- This drinks very easy, and the 9.5% is completely unnoticable. One of my all time favorite saisons, even if it is pretty high in alcohol for the style!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle at Beer Bistro, 375ml into a tulip. Best before March 2016.

Pours a hazy matte orange, with generous carbonation. Brilliant white head with great amount of lacing left behind along with a solid amount of retention. Nose is fruity and spicy, some banana, peach and passionfruit. Yeasty with significant notes of clove and light pepper. Taste has similar exotic fruits and tropical notes, yeasty and gently spicy and peppery in the finish. Complex fruitiness and malts notes are prevalent throughout. Drying finish and sweet with only the slightest suggestion of alcohol. Perfect carbonation - high, but 'fuzzy' in texture on the tongue, just an absolutely fantastic sensation. Immensely satisfying, a gorgeous, complex and flavourful saison.

4.55/5  rDev +8.9%

A 750ml bottle, caged/corked (2006 edition). Poured to a pair of La Chouffe tulip glasses. This is the beer my wife and I chose to honor the memory of Michael Jackson, who we learned earlier today had passed away. RIP Beer Hunter...

A: A healthy 'pop' and this one is uncorked. Pours a thick, silky golden with a dusty haze of yeasty sediment. Over two fingers of dense white bubbly foam, ebbing slowly to a thin creamy cap. Carbonation billows to the cap abundantly, effervescent like champagne.

S: Pears, apples, peaches, zesty pepper & clove spiciness, all mingle in a wonderful aroma that drifts from the glass with every swirl. Doughy yeast, slightly grassy, very herbal.

T: Tart and crisp peach and apple flavors, backed with loads of bready maltiness. Cracked pepper, grassy/hay natural yeastiness, grainy and dry in the finish. Faintly medicinal bitterness and a slim trace of booze.

M: Surprising that more of the intense carbonation doesn't come through in the mouthfeel; thicker medium-fullness, heavy for a saison, but understandable for this robust version. Herbal bittering hangs on the back of the tongue, finishing dry and mostly clean otherwise.

D: With high marks across the board, this one certainly scores well when it comes to drinkability. On the handful of occasions we've tasted this beer before, it's stood alone or (in the case of the wonderful visit to Les Caves Dupont) with cheese. Tonight, however, we started by pairing it with dinner, a black pepper-seasoned chicken - thought it was a fine compliment. Fortunately there was enough left in the bottle to go with dessert, fresh peaches and strawberries and a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Oh man, that's beer pairing perfection! Outstanding in every way; easily drinkable, which is dangerous with that high ABV.

Highly recommended!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle poured into a tulip.

A: Straw yellow with a good amount of haze. Two and a half finger, flufffy off white head that has great retention and lacing.

S: Very nice funkiness. Nice Belgian yeast coming through along with apples, peach, lemon, and a slight coriander spiciness.

T: Exactly like the nose. A slight tartness upfront with the apples. The yeast, spiciness, and other fruits come in the middle along with the start of the funkiness. Finishes with an awesome funkiness and clove like flavor.

M: Light body. High carbonation that is just right. Very crisp and super dry.

O: Awesome Saison. Definitely becoming one of my favorite styles. Give this a try.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

2006 vintage. Rich honey with a hint of orange. A stationary cloud of fine yeast is being buffeted about by a generous amount of carbonation... that settles down within minutes of the pour. I love the look of the beer, but the sticky alabaster crown is a typical bit of Belgian magnificence.

I've been able to appreciate the room filling aroma since beer exited bottle. The nose is incredibly complex and doesn't contain much, if any, farmhouse funkiness. I'm fine with that since I can't drink wild ales every day. As far as aroma specifics... sugar-coated grain, sun-ripened orchard fruit (pears, apples), musky hops and a potpourri of warm spices.

Avec Les Bons Voeux is everything that I'd hoped it would be. It falls a half-step short of my favorite saisons, but it's still an exceptional Belgian ale. Perhaps I'll change my mind once I'm closer to the bottom of the bottle than the top. One of my first impressions is of alcohol (since it isn't often noticeable in a beer of this style). An ABV of 6.5-7.0% is easy to bury; 9.5%... not so much.

Bitter effortlessly supercedes both sweet and tangy. In fact, the beer is barely sweet at all. I can appreciate a honey-like flavor, without the honey-like sweetness. This Brasserie Dupont offering seems to be built around hops and spices. Each mouthful is a dizzying blast of bitter grass, lemon zest, white pepper, ground clove and coriander. There's also a delightful undertow of banana and bubblegum. Like I said... complex in the extreme.

I'm leaning toward awarding flavor perfection. The only thing that's holding me back is the alcohol. If the brewery would knock a few percentage points off the ABV, it would be an easy call. This is a tremendously drinkable, tremendously quenching beer because of its dry, crisp nature. Drink quickly at your own risk, however. Since I don't plan to drive my desk chair anywhere in the next several hours, I'll be fine.

There's no quibbling on the mouthfeel... it's simply stunning! Only the Belgian masters could create a beer that's so ethereally light, yet so creamy smooth and so expansive. Each mouthful blossoms in the mouth as if the laws of physics no longer apply. I find myself taking sips just to appreciate what happens tactilely.

Avec les Bons Voeux de la Brasserie Dupont, the beer's full name, translates as 'with the best wishes of the Brewery Dupont'. Thanks Brasserie Dupont. And thank you for this incredibly delicious, world-class saison. It may not be the best I've ever had (Fantome Saison), but it's close. Really, really close.

4.56/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Aroma is sweet hay and coriander, appearanc eis hazy golden with thick fluffy head. Taste isspicy, some sweetness and mellow bitterness. Very complex and truly delicious.

4.57/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured for me at the back bar of Monk's.

A powdery yellow liquid greets me, with a very tiny coating of bubbles, which soon fades to a transparent film. Pretty.

Smell is rock candy (candi/invert sugar, I'm sure), dried papaya, orange peel, candied clementines, and a mist of saison yeast.

Taste explodes in the mouth with deeply candied and preserved fruits -- the aformentioned orange and papaya, gritty brown pears, rotting bananas, and glorious, glorious golden malt. Just unbelieveably delicious constantly evolving as the flavors, many as they are, develop and blossom on the palate. As it gets warm, these sensations only increase.

Mouthfeel is wonderful, pillow soft, keeping the dense liquid from ever becoming too cloying. There is a delightful breeziness here.

Drinkability is very good, although as I near the end of the glass, I consider that one, and maybe two, would be an appropriate sample.

All in all, a fantastic brew fresh (and I imagine a little age on a few bottles would be delightful as well). -- a saison on steroids, an imperial saison, whatever you want to catagorize it as, I call it only one thing: Delicious.

A world-class brew.

4.57/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a Chimay chalice from a 750 mil corked bottle. I notice the cork is labeled 2013 so I am a little worried it may be past it's prime even though it is a 9.5% saison.

Appearance - Golden color which to me is what I associate with a saison. Inviting with what I would describe as lively carbonation.

Smell - I don't know how to describe it, but it is definitely a Belgian beer smell. Not the most inviting taste. I can't associate to the smell of a food, herb etc.

Taste - For me the first taste was wow, an assault on my taste of smell that was possibly too much. A few sips into it and I am really enjoying this beer. I like a good saison, but the taste of saisons covers a large range and this is in the range I like.

Mouthfeel - Highly carbonated which I believe is standard for the style and what I would describe as light to medium feel.
Overall - This is a great beer, I liken it to an amped up version of Saison Dupont and I will definitely seek it out again.

4.57/5  rDev +9.3%

375mL, corked n' caged, purchased in Belgium. Best before January 2016.

Pours a glowing, cloudy orange with a nice, billowing head. Doesn't retain quite like I'd expect, though the lacing is nice.

The aroma is pungent and funky, with a sturdy hop presence.

Bitter, with a dry, slightly Bretty bite to it. Hop flavor is there too, in the form of mellow citrus and leafy bitterness. Really rindy and earthy. Hay and grain flavors come through a bit. Alcohol is present too, but about right for a 9.5% ABV brew. Mouthfeel is huge, fluffy and creamy. Great beer.

It is my humble opinion that this is one of the best Saisons available. If you see this beer, buy it. Lots of it.

4.57/5  rDev +9.3%

750ml caged and corked bottle. Cork has 2005 for date.

Pours a hazy golden yellow. Voluminous white head, dense and rocky. Lacing on the glass that resembles...well, it looks exactly like Belgian lace. Smells of lemon and sweet spice. Orange zest.

Taste is rich caramel and molasses. Hints of vanilla. Oaky with sherry notes. Lots o' alcohol as it finishes. Very dry finish, dires out quick from all the richly sweet flavors up front. In the finish, one taste comes out again and again: Juniper berries. Not sure if they're used but I couldn't get them out of my head. Mouth is dry and full bodied. This beer's a treat. I want more and I want more to age for a couple years.

750ml 2002 Vintage-
Poured a light gold with heavy carbonation and a huge, whipped egg-white head. Took some time to enjoy watching the head slowly rise higher and higher as the bubbles danced furiously underneath. Garden nose jazzed up with some spices and just a hint of hops. Not sour as I expected, instead a mellow, rich yeasty flavour especially present in the finish. Mouthfeel was moderately smooth with some definite warming. Very satisfying and relaxing. Would pair well with a light reading and log fire.

4.58/5  rDev +9.6%

Found this by surprise at BevMo in Anaheim, CA in November, 2006. $10.99 I think. Vintage 2006. A yellow label (different from the existing avatar) with an etching-like drawing of a stone-arched cellar full of hundreds of beer barrels. A large Roman Numeral III at the top, above the beer and brewery name. Not sure what that means.

Pours a magnificent golden with the most beautiful white head that sticks around through the whole session. It doesn't have lace on the side, it has cream. Amazingly thick.

Aroma is much like the regular Saison DuPont (which I love), but more intense and rich. Organic funk, hay, a little lemon and great wet mown grass notes. Flavor is, like the aroma, very reminsicent of the normal saison, but more. As they say in "Spinal Tap", it goes to 11. They label uses the word "velvety", and I think it's very appropriate.

I knocked off a bit for mouthfeel and drinkability because it has an alcohol sharpness at the end of the swallow that seems to increase as the glass empties. Maybe some age would knock that down a bit, but I'll tell you, even so, this one is a special beer.

Highly recommended, even with the one flaw I perceive.

4.58/5  rDev +9.6%

750 ml bottle into tulip glass, bottled 4/30/2012. Pours fairly hazy and cloudy golden amber color with a 3 finger foamy and rocky white head with incredible retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lasts. Thick foamy lacing clings around the glass, with plenty of streaming carbonation retaining the head. Amazing appearance. Aromas of big lemon zest, apple, pear, pepper, clove, grape, herbal, floral, grass, bread, light funk, and floral/yeast earthiness. Incredible aromas with great balance and complexity of fruity/spicy yeast ester notes with a light malt balance; and good strength. Taste of big lemon zest, apple, pear, pepper, clove, herbal, floral, grass, light funk, bread, and floral/yeast earthiness. Good amount of earthy spiciness on the finish; with lingering notes of light fruits, pepper, clove, herbal, floral, grass, light funk, bread, and floral/yeast earthiness on the finish for a while. Incredible complexity and balance of fruity/spicy esters with a light malt balance; and zero cloying flavors after the finish. High carbonation and medium bodied; with a very crisp, dry, and prickly mouthfeel that is great. Alcohol is very well hidden for 9.5% with only a slight warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a world class saison! Incredible balance and complexity of fruity/spicy esters with light malt balance; and extremely crisp to drink for the alcohol level. Absolutely insane.

4.58/5  rDev +9.6%

Appearance - Nothing to complain about at all. Hard to find fault with a beer thats pure gold, and has a billowing white head that is a work of art. Yeast floats around like leaves in the wind and settles to the bottom of the glass.

Smell - Smells like a farmhouse ale. Soft spice with a creamy sweet apple pear aroma.

Taste & Mouthfeel - Tangy with a magnificent honey sweetness, but just a touch enough to complement the sourness. Lemon, pepper, and clove make up the body, and give it a little bit of a hefe-weizen touch. Mouthfeel is very dry and crisp with a very well hidden alcohol for 9.5%. I'm sipping it, but I could drink it so much quicker as it feels lighter than it really is.

Drinkability - A fine saison, and a damn fine one at that. I think I would go as far as to say that Brasserie Dupont has this whole saison thing down.

4.58/5  rDev +9.6%

Serving: 750ml bottle into my Arrogant Bastard Ale glass.

A: Pours cloudy pale yellow with a full inch and a half of thick head. Lots of carbonation visible. Very, very nice.

S: Big on the Belgian yeast smell, bready, with fruity and spicy notes.

T: Dry at first, then peppery and spicy. Somewhat earthy and bitter on the finish. Fantastic Saison.

M: Very smooth in the mouth with bits of pepperiness and fizzy bite. Awesome.

O: Fantastic Saison, I'd have to put it near the top of my list. I would buy this again.

4.58/5  rDev +9.6%

I had a few of these on tap at My Place in Newtown, Ct.
Nice , gold, slightly cloudy appearance. Nice head to start, but dropped pretty quickly to a small collar.
Smells like clean citrus,yeast, malt and..hay?
Flavor was great ! ...really good balance of sweet , malt, slight fruit, with a medium mouthfeel...just right... then a slightly bitter finish. Just got better as the temperature increased; amazingly good ! This is the best Saison I've had.
Very drinkable...but the ABV is pretty high.
I also tried this one from the 750 bottle...very nice , but missing most of the sweetness, with more alcohol taste coming through.
I would definitely buy another bottle, but can't wait to have it on tap again.

Update 2/10/06....just had this again on tap...this is an amazing brew!!...actually wish it was lower in ABV so I could have a few
more. Avec Les Bon... DOH !!

4.59/5  rDev +9.8%

2006 bottle

Hazy gold. An inch of dense white head, with moderately good retention. Beautiful mottled lace.

Smell begins with orange, lemon, peach, coriander, shortbread, oxidization, and a bit of grassy hops, and gradually becomes richer and sweeter over the course of an hour. Orange turns to marmalade, and additional notes of beeswax and honey, agave, pineapple and sweet tobacco come out. Sensational.

Begins round and fruity, beeswaxy, medium dry, grassy, slightly tart, very well balanced with hop and mineral bitterness. Exceedingly long finish, with deep dry oxidization and mineral bitterness coming to the forefront, and some alcohol emerging. Fruit and clean grassy hops throughout. Complex but sharply defined. Utterly balanced and tasty.

Smooth mouthfeel, very tiny bubbles. Drinkability is limited only by the alcohol; this is very drinkable and refreshing.

Great stuff!

4.59/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2008 vintage, 750ml poured into a tall tulip

A: Pours a brilliantly clear golden color with three fingers of long lasting, fluffy head. Amazing retention and lacing. Perfect.

S: Musty funk mixing with a nice citrus quality to produce a very refreshing, yet complex aroma. Spices eventually come in after the intense funk and citrus to add even more complexity. Nutmeg and peppercorn are most prominent for spices reminding me of a nice Belgian Quad.

T: Spices take center stage here, again reminiscent of a Quad. Nutmeg and peppercorn are upfront, now with some clove i didn't detect in the aroma. A nice citrus aspect comes in after that, finishing with a musty funk.

M: Medium thickness with very high carbonation. Great for the style.

O: Very, very impressive. Such a complex beer with so much going on, but in a fairly easy to drink beer. I could use a touch more of the citrus I originally got in the aroma, but I'm splitting hairs.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Friend brought this over as a surprise, because it's his dad's favorite beer and he knew I liked beer.

A- Beautiful, fine, creamy white head. Great retention even though the pour wasn't the most aggressive. Perfect mix of yellow and gold. Some dirty brown floaties. Not sure what they are.
They don't bother me but the beer would probably look a lot better without.

S- Right away i thought of a less hoppy Dominus Vobiscum Lupulus. It's yeastier though.

T- Good. Delicious saison with a belgian strong blonde alcohol profile. Not that hoppy but you definitely notice it.
Now i know I'm a little picky, but i wish every beer of this type wouldbe at least as good as this.
This or that could be changed to please me more but overall, this is pretty damn close to perfect.

M- Crisp, smooth, light but full. I'd like it a little foamier but really, this is just right.

D- Terrific. Super tasty. Perfect amount of complexity meaning it's interesting but oh so simple to drink. Goes great with food or alone.

I want this available 24/7. This is the type of stuff which makes me want to be rich... So i can drink it all the time.

Almost all 4.5 on the ratings because its close to perfect. The 0.5 that's missing is only me wanting a few tweaks due to personal preference.

A.4.5

S.4.5

T.4.5

M.4.5

D.5.0

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Served in a Nonic pint glass. Glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically. The 2009 bottling.

Appearance: The beer pours out a slightly hazy honey gold color with a 2" thick creamy, frothy white head which leaves rings and patches of lacing clinging to the glass. Later on during the beer sipping continues to leave patches of foam sticking to the glass. Even to the end of the beer there is a layer of foam on the liquid and patches, speckles and legs of lacing rings and speckles and legs of foam and lacing on the sides of the glass

Smell: The aroma invades the room even as the bottle is opened. It has a yeasty, grassy, slightly sharp and spicy (coriander and pepper) character. There is also some citrus, pale malt and slightly earthy character here.

Taste: The several flavors come and go on this one. There is fruitiness, with hints of apple and lemon zest (and maybe even a touch of orange zest) and some light honeyed sweetness. There is spiciness with some elements like coriander and pepper. In the background there is pale malt and some grassy traces. While there is a touch of alcohol it is not easy to detect.

Mouthfeel: The mouth feel on this one is light bodied and very smooth with excellent prickly carbonation. The medium length finish starts in the fruity sweetness and ends in a crisp dry tart bitterness.

Drinkability: This beer is a "poster child" for drinkability. It is a wonderful beer with incredible complexity and subtlety. There are so many flavors bouncing in and out of this one and the sweetness and the tartness blend and play and dance around and around in a way that almost leaves the head spinning. Oh wait... Maybe that's the high ABV that sneaks up on you. A dangerously drinkable beer in that it would be very easy to consume too much of this one. However, I'm also sure I'll be having more of this one, both to finish off this bottle and to drink again in the future.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

On tap at Monk's. The reason I came to Monk's in fact.

This beer is served in a tulip and has a murky golden body and a whisp of a head of white which settles to a thin lacing on the surface. The tulip conjures up a plethora of smells to create a powerful nose. I first sense acidic fruit, still sweet but quite sharp. Orange, lemon, cherry. Next I detect damp funk. Not as acrid as a horseblanket (a misused term by many. Go visit a stable, and then make the comparison) but still just brooding with wild yeast, like decomposing vegetetation. Finally, a bit of sweet esters, the fruit surges again, then an outright bubblegum sweetness, then a spiciness, then all these things over and over. This is a wonderfully alive in its flavors. They undulate like waves, and conclude in a wonderful balance. The huge alcohol in this is hidden like buried treasure. Drinkability and Mouthfeel are superb, as they complement one another. This beer is a treat, and on-tap it's simply an experience all its own.

Avec Les Bons Voeux from Brasserie Dupont sprl