Saison Dupont | Brasserie Dupont sprl

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by kbub6f on 02-26-2002

Reviews: 1,596 | Ratings: 4,127
3.98/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours a cloudy straw color with tons of carbonation. Carbonation feeds a tall, soapy, sticky, white head. After a minute or so, head has consolidated to something a little more creamy, but retains a steady 1-finger height throughout entire sesh. THICK, web-like lacing.

Smell: Sour yeast, bready malts, some orange peel and apple, and some alcoholic dryness (reminds me of gin) in the finish.

Taste: Bready malts and some mild sourness. Yeast gives it an apple cider-like flavor. Citrus and spices in there as well. Overall, taste is very subtle. A very pleasant, and very dry, draws me back for more.

Mouthfeel: Talk about creamy - Damn! That is one fine head! Carbonation not nearly as high as anticipated. Light-medium body and very clean/crisp.

Drinkability: So, I don't drink saisons much, but this is a style I could see myself getting into. I really like the dry finish and subtle flavors. Mouthfeel is fantastic. This would make a great session beer.

Note: So I tried to avoid getting the yeast from the bottom of the bottle into my cup, but I got greedy and spilled just a bit in there. I'm not really sure how I'm 'supposed' to enjoy this beer (yeast or not), so if somebody knows please BM me.

3.98/5  rDev -4.6%

Undated bottle acquired at Princeton Liquors in Maple Grove, MN. Poured ~4C into a wine glass. Warmed through sampling.

Pours a hazy yellow, that is slightly deeper than expected with a huge white head that leaves some solid lacing. Nose is lighter than expected with pepper and wheat being predominant. Taste is in the same vein, though a buttery slickness comes through too which negatively affects the mouthfeel. Strong & prickly carbonation, and a dryish finish. For a beer I have heard so much about, and in the midst of saison tasting, this beer just didn't do it for me. Nice, though not great, and I dare say I preferred 3 Monts over this.

3.98/5  rDev -4.6%

Served on-tap in traditional glassware.

Appearance: Thin white head; clear light amber color.

Smell: Some citrus up front with a decent hop background. Nothing too special.

Taste: Nice hop bitterness; very light, clean and easy drinking.

Mouthfeel: Thin to medium body. Clean, felt good.

Drinkability: Nice. Easy going down, clean.

3.98/5  rDev -4.6%

A- Had a peachy - amber opaque color to it. Was very fizzy when poured and developed a thick white head.

S- A little difficult to find the words for the aromas here. Definitely something that reminds me or green apples and maybe a little grapefruitiness. There is also a slight malt smell with some spices in the background.

T- Starts off a bit biscuity and sour. Some citrus flavors and yeast funkiness kick in mid way through.

M- Medium bodied and thick, almost chewy feeling. Medium to low carbonation.

D- Refreshing, yet I can only drink one 750ml at a time because it is a bit heavy feeling.

330ml bottle purchased from QFC U-Village Seattle, WA

A: CRAZY 4 finger pearl white head with incredible retention and lacing! a nice golden straw color pour with good clarity and effervescence.

S: floral grassy bouquet with a slight sour lemon aroma. moderate yeast notes. mildly alcoholic.

T&M: very fizzy, this one bites back! very dry with a slight bitterness at first. tart citrus fruits, orange, lemon dominant with a balanced hop finish and sweet yeasty aftertaste. light spicing, almost peppery. dryness dissipates and becomes a warming smooth finish.

D: low-moderate ABV, slightly dry, somewhat tart. I think 1-2 of these in a session would do just fine, probably not more.

750 ml bottle poured into a sniffer

A - Pours a cloudy yellow with an enormous 4 finger head. The head lingers and leaves moderate lacing.

S - Yeasty aromas dominate to start. Also able to pick up some fruity notes, citrus, as well as a faint hint of grain.

T - As was with the smell, the yeast flavors come to the front followed by mild citrus and a peppery spiceyness. The finish is quite dry, almost a champagne like quality.

M - Very crisp with good carbonation.

O - I find this beer to be very refreshing and a good example of the style. I am not sure I would search this out while looking for a Saison but it was certainly a good beer.

3.98/5  rDev -4.6%

A - An attractive hazy golden straw color w/a thick white foamy head that seems to dissapate fairly quickly.

S - The anticipated tropical fruits and expected Belgian qualities, banana, a bit grassy, apricot, and an interesting white pepper hint.

T - Good citrus flavors with a seamless transition to the yeastiness of the beer. Lemon peel, etc...the flavors linger for quite some time.

M - Active/prickly carbonation, medium light body that is certainly mouthfilling once you take a sip.

O - This is a beer that is definitely representative of its place and style. Without a doubt a strong foundation for where American beers are taking the saison style/interpretation...would absolutely drink it again (if not for enjoyment, to ground myself).

***From a 375 ml bottle poured into a tulip

3.97/5  rDev -4.8%

my .02 cents on arguably belgium's leading saison style...

a: semi-opaque, cloudy straw color. very fine carbonation, and a fluffy bright, white head.

s: lemon and corriander pop into the nose.

t: tartness, and lip-puckering lemon are noted, and a disappointingly mellow bitter/citrusy hop finish is barely present.

mf: softs and smooth. a sharp, bubbly finsh like champagne.

d: sweet and delicious, like lemonade on a hot day. but there is only so much acidity one can take- sessionably, but not all day long.

3.97/5  rDev -4.8%

This puppy was hard to find by name... glad I didn't try to 'add' a beer! Bottle.. purchased at Cost Plus World Market on a room temp. shelf location.

- Love the year stamp on the inside of the cork... which opened with a bang! Huge inch of bubbly white head... and a great creamy light-yellow lemon zest of a color... so true to its nature.

- Seriously a nice hop scent from afar.. now up close.. holy pungent hops and sweet nectar.. bit of Belgian yeast there... slight lemon zest... and mega hops... did not expect the hop explosion at all... seriously reminds me of the Hop Wallop I cracked some time ago,,,,

- Clear, smooth... Belgian yeast.. light banana.. lemon zest and herb.. and clean hop aroma... skunky.. earthy.. and good!

- Crisp... not oily, not bitter... seriously wonderful... a cleansing...

- Over carbonated really... would love to drink more in a shot as the bottle is rather large... but I'd be afraid of belching up enough foam that it would look like a crazy bubble-scene from the Willy Wonka Chocolate Factory... but the flavor is great..

3.97/5  rDev -4.8%

This butterscotch colored brew pours with a tall thick head into my tulip glass. I am drinking the 11.2 oz corked and caged bottle at 48 degrees. The cork is dated 2.004.

There is a large amount of yeast in this bottle. I am debating whether to pour it all in the glass. I think I will for the first bottle and re-evaluate for the next.

I don't anything spectacular in the nose.

A tangy citrus brew with a medium tickling carbonation. A fairly straightforward beer. I would say a nice summertime thirst quencher.

cheers

3.97/5  rDev -4.8%

One of my local bars serves this by the 374 ml bottle for nine bucks. This makes me love the beer. The beer pours with a medium to large head. Although thick, the head does not last as long as you would think. The color is a cloudy and pale tan. The taste is rich—hints of nut, not bitter but not smooth. If you let it sit in your mouth it will feel lighter as it warms. Overall, Saison Dupont is a fine beer to sip or drink.

3.97/5  rDev -4.8%

33 cl capped bottle simply called "Saison Dupont" (bought in Norway), "Vieille Provision" is apparently used only for the corked bottle, otherwise it must be the same beer. Hazy golden beer with a large head. Lovely farmhouse aroma with spices and tobacco. Spicy and "authentic" farmbrew flavour, which unfortunately soon is overpowered by a strange medicinal bitterness on the the back of my tongue - I’m not sure how much of this bitterness comes from the hops and how much comes from dead yeast cells. This bitterness dominates the long aftertaste

3.97/5  rDev -4.8%

A: Good color. Slight haze. Retention not great. Lacing moderate.

S: Good fruitiness and some yeasty esters. Some horse blanket, but not too much overall funk.

T: Good in the style. Quite mild on the spiciness, with good fruit character.

M: Slight graininess from yeast.

3.97/5  rDev -4.8%

At Eb's I'm surprised I haven't rated this before.
Pours a slightly hazy yellow color with a bubbly white head with moderate retention. Smells of earthy spicy and funky; lemony and fruity with a carbonic acid thing going on. The flavor is complex with pepper and earth and tart lemony fruit and light sweet non descript fruit. Medium to light body with spirited level of carbonation and a bubbly mouthfeel. Nice light refreshing fruity and tart ale.

Poured @ Brickcellar/Bier Baron

A: Nice light grain ale with ecxellent clarity. Sheet of loosely packed suds along the surface. No lacing.

S: Earthy, hay, sheet grass. A bit of the funk/manure - but in a complimentary way. I like.

T: Herbal: caraway, coriander, clove, rice, grain and slight noble and musty hops.

M: Medium to light with crisp carbonation. Dry finish.

O: Good saison, not my favority, but I see why people consider it among the standard.

3.97/5  rDev -4.8%

Poured into tall tulip glass. A slightly hazy pale yellow with some reddish tones, four finger pure white head that mostly persists but slowly dissipates leaving tons of lacing, champagne-like bubbles. Aroma is of yeast, bread, crackers, and just a hint of citrus (lemon). Taste is of bread and crackers, yeast, some citrus, and eventually some spice. Mouth is clean and dry, super refreshing. Overall, a classic saison and a perfect thirst quencher.

3.97/5  rDev -4.8%

For me, Saison may be the ultimate warm-weather beer. It's fitting then that Saison Dupont, widely hailed as the style's best, have a complexion like a bright, sunny summer day. Dainty bubbles dance in a continuous loop. Yet haziness lends it some weight, as does a head so thick it resembles a king size memory foam mattress.

Soon as I opened the bottle an intense puff of skunk smell filled the air - light strikes again! I guess even great brewers have to be reminded not to use green glass. Luckily the sulfur scent tapers and closer inspections unearth aromas of overripe orchard fruits, grass, and cereal grain.

Spice really strikes on the palate; the yeast fires off peppery phenols like roman candles. Prickly carbonation, medium-high citrusy acidity and a not-exactly-hidden 6.5% alcohol compound the kick. But there's very little heat in the finish - it fades into the background of lightly honeyed cereal grain, allowing flavours of apricot and pear to come to the fore.

It feels crazy that such a zesty, yeasty and fruity beer could also be called "creamy" but, in fact, that's a good way to describe this mouthfeel. (Hell it's probably that solid finger's worth of foam!) Both soft and substantial, it offers casual and quick drinkability but has the nuances to slow consumption.

I can proclaim with complete certainty that among the best Saison I've tried was a bottle labeled "Saison Dupont Vieille Provision". However, I can also say that this beer has struck me, as often as not, as a merely good (not great) representation of the style. Not sure how to account for the discrepancy except to suggest that 'fresher is better'. But I'd strongly recommend it either way.

3.97/5  rDev -4.8%

This beer has high carbonation and a large head with a strong hold. The appearance is slightly hazy. The scent is citrusy, like an orange. It has a very crisp and clean finish to it which makes it have a light mouthfeel. It is very dry. There is zero sweetness which makes it slightly bitter.

3.97/5  rDev -4.8%

A - A hazy lemon yellow with a nice head that takes it's time. Leaves clumps of lacing on the glass.

S - Cloves, white pepper and and a little banana and citrus. Strong odor!

T - A citrusy sour lemon taste accompanied by a hop bitterness that lingers to the finish.

M - Thin, a bit abrasive and refreshing at the same time. I wish that it were smoother.

D - It is pretty drinkable all around, More of champagne substitute than a table beer I suppose. A little too strong to session, but it could be done.

3.96/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

11.2oz bottle, poured into a tulip

A- pours a bright and hazy golden orange color with massive rocky and foamy head that still sits, five minutes after the pour, eventually leaving some lacing behind upon settling

S- musty basement, belgian yeast, pear and lemon, herbal aromas

T- ripe pear mixes with musty cellar & earthy/herbally notes, slightly sweet mid palate leads to phenolic notes on the finish with a hint of lemon

M- medium body with medium prickly carbonation leads to a smooth mouthfeel and a crisp finish, high drinkability

O- a classic of the style, not as bold as many of the new American versions, but super drinkable

3.96/5  rDev -5%

A defining beer for the style. I feel like around half of the saison threads I've read in the homebrewing forum have been trying to mimic Dupont. I hadn't reviewed this, so I felt like I had to get it and put something up on BA. This beer didn't quite have the pop I wanted when I uncorked it... though there's still a good amount of carbonation. The cork says 2.010, so I'll take it that this beer is at least a year old. Poured it generously into my Great Divide balloon glass.

THe beer is just a shockingly clear golden hue. The head is characteristically bone white with great density. However, since this seems a bit undercarbonated, the head died down quickly. If it would have stayed longer, this could have hit 5 territory. I love the look of a solid saison.

The nose is skunk and funk. I think these have to be the Saaz hops talking. Some people call those hops peppery, but I just get skunk. At least I now know the taste and I'm starting to appreciate it for what it is. To go along with the skunk, there's a bit of a farmhouse funk that seems to blend together. They are interestingly similar and they make good complements. It's not perfectly appealing, but it's nice.

The taste is along the same lines. Lingering skunky bitterness. Complemented by a smoother funky farm flavor. There's also a dryness and sharpness in the body. It's almost like a strong lemongrass flavor (isn't all lemongrass strong?). Good carbonation (despite the bottle pressure) gives a tingly prick on my tongue. This stuff just flows down my throat.

I like this beer quite a bit. However, I will naturally downgrade anything that's this noble and Saazy. That said, this beer is still quite interesting and I'm happy to have it. I don't think it's the best saison I've had (I prefer Boulevard, Brooklyn and maybe Hennepin from what I've had), but it's definitely an interesting entry for my beer palate.

3.96/5  rDev -5%

Bought a 330ml/11.2 fl.oz. bottle of this brew from the Wolf Public House for $3 (employee discount). Porued from the non-labeled freshness dated bottle into a 16 oz. Founder's Pint Glass and this is my second time enjoying this brew.

Aroma- Has a low hop aroma from the start and VERY peppery. Not much fruitiness but could be wrong. Little bit of spice as well. Nice all around aroma.

Appearance- Pours a 5+ finger, frothy head that stays around for a great amount of time. Has a pale orange color body and leaves good sudsy lacing on the glass.

Flavor- Starts with good malt character and hints of fruit and spice along the way. Definitely has a lemon twist on the finish and very light bitterness. Nothing too serious here, just a fun drink.

Mouthfeel- Light-Medium Bodied, High! Carbonation, and leaves a bit of hop on the palate but nothing else... Pretty boring here.

Overall Impression- All-around a good Saison but there are many more of these out there! Refreshing and highly carbonated, this one grabs your attention for the beginning of the drink but then finishes weak. Still will promote but am going to only be able to give this one a 4.0.

3.96/5  rDev -5%

Appearance: Huge, frothy off-white head tops off a pale golden-colored hazy pour.

Smell: Some skunkiness underlies an otherwise-nice aroma of earthiness and freshly-cut herbs.

Taste: Lemony citrus character really comes through here, after I was unable to detect it at all in the nose - a pleasant surprise. Dry grainy finish. Medium-full bodied with spry effervescent carbonation dancing across your tongue. An excellent farmhouse ale.

3.96/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured this bottle against my Spring Hopper Saison as comparison.

A: Golden straw hue with excellent clarity. Active carbonation bubbles lifting to the fluffy white head. Pours very carbonated. Homebrew shares golden straw hue but clarity is hazy with fairly active carbonation. Dupont wins on giant foam head.

S: Dank and skunky per wife's comments. A little yeast and grassy / earthy notes. Homebrew is more robust / complex. Homebrew has more apparent notes of cloves and yeast breadiness to aroma. *I have no sense of smell.

T: That dank / funky aroma carries over nicely to flavors. Citrus, herbal, grassy, slight breadiness, and complimented very well by light hop bitterness notes sprinkled throughout. Sessionable as alcohol is hidden very well. Similar to smell - Homebrew is slightly more robust / filling with a more "homebrew" flavor. Yeast / breadiness flavors are also more apparent. Dupont finishes much dryer, lighter, and slightly more sessionable.

O: Dupont is the benchmark of a historical and inspiring beer. Great for the seasoned beer nerd or rookie just wanting something drinkable. Sessionable, well balanced, and just enough complexity to make it interesting & fun. Dupont is a legend but I think Spring Hopper Saison held up well and gives inspiration for the future!

3.96/5  rDev -5%

This is my first Belgian saison. I've really enjoyed American versions and am about to savor their predecessor. Cork reads 2008. 750ml bottle poured into a wine goblet.

Pours a hazy lemon/orange. A thick white creamy head falls slowly. Some sheeting of lace.
Aroma is light banana and moderate spice overlaid with a gentle mustiness.
Flavor is hard to pin down. Much less fruity than the other saisons I've had. A lack of sweetness. The musty side comes in pretty quickly and sticks around, lingering with a slight bitterness in the finish. Light fruits and spices are underneath. But every sip presents something new, especially as it warms. A slightly puckering tartness leads into the dry finish. Light body with pleasant carbonation. Nicely crisp.

Have to say, I like my American versions better. This is a good, delicious, tasty beer... but not as good as some produced right here in the U. S. of A.

Saison Dupont from Brasserie Dupont sprl