Saison Dupont | Brasserie Dupont sprl

Ratings: 4,185 |  Reviews: 1,617
2.75/5  rDev -34.2%

2.75/5  rDev -34.2%

2.76/5  rDev -34%

Aromas of some light Belgian yeast, ripe citrus fruit, earthy funk and a solid herbal backbone.
The taste follows the nose with grainy pilsner malt, understated spiciness from the hops of the Belgian yeast, lemon zest, some grassy/herbal qualities, a bit sour/tangy and certainly quite dry.
Mouthfeel is full despite the lackluster malt profile. Higher carbonation but appropriate for the style. This is not the most flavorful saison in existence, but it is true to style. This is just too boring for my liking overall. I can appreciate how it's a "perfect" example of the style, but the traditional style is lackluster for my taste.

2.88/5  rDev -31.1%

I had this out of a corked 25.4 ounce bottle.
A- It has a big, thick bubbly head with a good amount of lacing. Extremely bubbly (small), gold, clear.
S- It has something of a sour pilsner scent.
T- It has a vegetable maltiness to it. Kind of lagery, with an ale aftertaste. Some bitterness, expecially in the aftertaste. For an $11 bottle, I expect a more sophisticated taste.

2.94/5  rDev -29.7%

Pale, mostly golden in appearance. Creamy head, very good retention. EDIT: Make that, VERY good retention. The head sticks around long after the beer underneath it has been drunk. Cloudy appearance with a few floaties. No real lacing but head clings for dear life to glass. Not that it needs to, that head could withstand anything. I'd say that's about the most impressive head I've ever seen.

Nose is very metallic and hoppy. There is a strong iron or steel character with a slight grainy character lingering ever-so-slightly at the back. It's quite nice but there isn't all that much more to it.

Quite weizeny on the palate with that wheaty, banana character. Surprising really since there is nothing of the sort in it. Surprisingly bitter on the finish, a lot of hops coming through following that light, wheaty flavour. This leaves me, to be honest, with a really quite sinking, heavy feeling because it feels over-hopped without enough rich barley malt to balance, and the mouthfeel is a bit clunky. Taste is pleasant enough but it's quite heavy-going. I wouldn't call this a sessioning beer. I quite respect this, but I don't like it all that much, unfortunately.

2.98/5  rDev -28.7%

A slightly cloudy golden color with a thick white head. I was sure not to get any of the yeast on the initial pour. The aroma was slightly citrusy but with a sour note that almost smelled like the beer was bad. The flavor was not what I expected. Only a bit of citrus poked through the musty dry flavor. There was an abundance of bitterness. I actually had a hard time finishing the entire 750. Mouthfeel was pretty light but not a beer I'll drink again unless I go to back to belgium.

I didn't think too highly of this one. Was looking forward to it but was disappointed. Little bland for my tastes.

No chalice so have to use a trusty pint glass.

Beer pours a pale, grainy color with a decent amount of head that leaves thick lacing. I decided to let the beer warm up before trying it. Aroma is rich and spicy with faint hints of raisin. Taste is very light at first with only the spice and raisin showing through. Goes down smooth. A second sip confirms the smoothness and maltiness. I feel that the beer isn't as strong as I hoped and it just seems unimpressive to me. Not bad but I'll definitely revisit down the road.

Saison Dupont from Brasserie Dupont sprl