Saison Dupont | Brasserie Dupont sprl

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by kbub6f on 02-26-2002

Ratings: 4,201 |  Reviews: 1,624

3.03/5  rDev -27.5%

Cork says 2.009, don't know if that means anything or not.

A- Pours a murky light gold/yellow with a huge off-white head. Lacing runs down the side of the glass quickly as I swirl. The head recedes a bit after a few minutes.

S- Musty, old, dank. Wet horse/dog. A little malt in there. Not pulling these aromas off well.

T- Straw, acidic lemons, and spice. The spiciness is like coriander and/or grains of paradise. Musty. Some malty sweetness briefly appears before the finish. Again, has some elements that I would like if done well, but they're just not working for me.

M- Lighter side of medium bodied. Feels most thin towards the finish. A sharp, highly carbonated beer.

D- One 375 ml bottle is fine with me. Not the best beer. Lighter body helps the drinkability.

Overall, this reminds me A LOT of Sam Adams' Summer Ale, but with a little less spice, and more must. No need for me to have that or this again. Smuttynose's Farmhouse Ale is something I would get if I'm in the mood for a saison.

3.04/5  rDev -27.3%

3.05/5  rDev -27%

750ml cork-top bottle poured into glass chalice. Cork says 2008.

A--Lotsa head. Looks like a serious BEER. Big bubbles yet foamy. Dark honey color with serious ascending carbonation. Little bit of yeast floaties.

S--Bready, smokey, touch of ripe banana. Cinnamon and clove spices, sour, mineraly. A whole lot going on here! A tip of the hat to the complex characters in the smell.

T--Surprisingly bitter up front. Hard, earthy mineral nature. A twinge of crisp apple fruitiness fortunately saves this from being one-sided. Aftertaste of light bread/crackers. Kind of a dish-soapy taste. It's the most accurate way I can describe it, but it's not overtly offensive.

M--Ok I suppose. Bitterness lends a dry nature. At 6.5 ABV it's nicely balanced between light and heavy.

D--I guess, bur I really don't like the bitterness of this beer.

3.07/5  rDev -26.6%

Color: yellow golden
Smell: orangey scent
Taste: tangy orange peel taste. It's dry but it's not as bitter as expected.
Carbonation: very carbonated
Head: good hold and head to the beer.
Mouthfeel: light to medium mouthfeel
There is no sweetness to it!

3.08/5  rDev -26.3%

Big white head with densely packed bubbles. Dark yellow-orange color, lots of carbonation. Looks good at first. Could use better lacing on the sides.

Smells mostly of yeast with a little maltiness. Too faint.

Taste is earthy, a little bland, especially considering the style. Mild Belgian yeasts and mild malty flavor. A little spiciness on the tongue but not much.

Very dry, crisp mouthfeel, with a clean aftertaste. That part I like. It's a highly drinkable beer, but there are much better saisons out there. I would not order this one again.

3.09/5  rDev -26.1%

A - Great golden straw coloration. Hazy. Huge head that sticks.

S - Straw, yeast, hops, lemon rind, piss.

T - Follows the nose. Too pissy, though.

M - Over-carbonated, bubbly in the wrong place.

D - A poor beer. Too musty and hold tasting. Would never get this again.

3.11/5  rDev -25.6%

A: Poured from the 750 ml green bottle into a Stella Artois glass - kind of a rounded pilsner/lager-type glass. Body is hazy straw-yellow with a 2-finger bubbly white head. Solid head retention.

S: No surprise given the bottle - first impression is the skunkiness. As I get used to that, I also get some straw/hay/grass scents, with a touch of funkiness.

T: Again - some skunkiness. Barnyard funk and fruit are up front, and there's a decent, semi-dry finish. But I ended up belching skunk for probably 30-40 minutes after drinking this - and I had it with a big Thanksgiving-style meal.

M: Light in heft, good fizziness.

O: Why the green bottle? I'm guessing this might be a good beer if I had it on tap, but as it was delivered, it reminded me of a Euro Pale Lager that's been sitting in a green bottle for too long. My father-in-law, who was drinking Spaten directly from said green bottles, kind of liked this. Which says a lot.

3.13/5  rDev -25.1%

Openned Oct. 4, 2005. Best before 01/2008.

A: Copper-gold, nice white head, but very little retention. Still makes some nice lace though!

S: Grassy, herbal.

T: Spicy yeast flavour, very dry, sharp bitterness. Tartness is only barely detectable. Very rustic & unrefined. I realize this is part of the style, but it just wasn't harmonious... it's like all the instruments were there, but they were playing off-key.

M: Light body, moderately high carbonation.

D: While it hides the alcohol well, there's a bit of a bite, and I don't find it all that pleasant.

3.15/5  rDev -24.6%

I'm not very experienced in the Farmhouse Ale category, but this one came recommended so I gave it a shot.
Mine poured a cloudy yellowish haze, with a very thick head that took a decent period of time to disapate and left a fairly thick residue.
This beer has a crisp fruity taste with a decent bite to it. Also a rich fruity musty bouquet is present.
Like I've said I havent experienced many saison brews although this one doesn't make me jump for joy to go grab another. It was worth a try atleast once.

3.15/5  rDev -24.6%

Golden body, dominated by haziness. Massive white head that is really and truly just too much.
Aromas are light clove, some banana, light pepperiness.
Tastes are similar and with big Belgian yeast on the tongue.
In general, I have definitely had better Belgian beers, and with this bottle, have come to realize that i like North American Saisons better.

3.17/5  rDev -24.2%

Poured from a 33cL bottle into a Gouden Carolus chalice. From notes. Reviewed 30 May 2011.

A: Bright white creamy/craggy head. Brilliant yellow. Carbonation is visible. Light and pleasant; cloudy but translucent. Traces of lace.

S: Lots of grain, maybe corn(?). Not impressed.

T: Sweet, pleasant, grainy, and dry. Honestly, it's less funky than other saisons, but it's sort of boring. Accessible, goodish, and disappointing.

M: Lightly dry...kinda yeasty. Vaguely spicy. A bit of pepper?

O: Decent beer, but again, boring. Would not have again. Recommended to people who "don't like saisons."

3.18/5  rDev -23.9%

I've heard it is completely different on tap, and perhaps I got an old bottle, but I didn't enjoy this.

It poured a cloudy yellow with a huge fluffy, white head that faded fast but left nice lacing.

The aroma was of funk, earth, cooked vegetables, grass and lemon.

The taste was maltier than expected and the lemon that lingered seemed flat, the grass and earth were dominant and lingering funky notes stuck.

It was hard to finish. Again, perhaps I got a bad or old bottle. I'll try it again when I see it and perhaps give a different review.

3.18/5  rDev -23.9%

Very disappointed in this saison. It's my new favorite style and I was expecting all sorts of the usual spices and sugars. Instead, I got lots of hops and bitters. Pours like a typical saison--yellow gold. Big foamy head. Spotty lace. Aroma is a bit hoppy. Blegian sugars come through as the initial flavor, but are quickly replaced with a surprising amount of hops. I can barely find any yeasty fruits, flavors or spices. While refreshingly crisp, it does not drink as smooth as I was expecting. It came across as much more like a bitter than a Belgian farm style ale. Mouth feel is crisp with a full body and malt heaviness that sits on the mouth.

3.19/5  rDev -23.7%

Appearance: Golden, cloudy. Head is white, stays thick, decent lacing.

Smell: Belgian yeast. Reminds me of Stella almost exactly. No hop or malt flavor really.

Taste: follows the nose. Stella to a T.

Mouthfeel: dry, good amount of carbonation.

Overall: Way to expensive for essentially Stella.

3.21/5  rDev -23.2%

Bottle poured into a tulip

A: Pours a very light yellow. The pillowy cloud of head looks like you could rest your head on it and fall asleep and it glistens in the light. Spectacular.

S: Aroma is spicy and yeasty. Wafts of fresh cut straw emanate, not all that sweet but great for a farmhouse ale.

T/M: Lots of bubbles up front are tangy. It takes a second for the fizz to dissipate from the tongue, but once they do, the flavor is very light with a bit more spicy earthiness and just a little metallic like champagne.

It’s a very light, fizzy beer, not that bad but there are better choices. It looks incredible, though.

TheBeerAlmanac.com