Saison Dupont | Brasserie Dupont sprl

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by kbub6f on 02-26-2002

Ratings: 4,219 |  Reviews: 1,628

4.06/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I guess its the season of Saison. I have seen them popping up by American brewers for the last month or so. My first intro to this style was a few years back and it was interesting. At first I thought it had gone bad. The funk man! I realized later that it is common for Belgian and Belgian style beers to have this earthy funkiness and this beer is no different.

Look: Color is golden with lots of carbonation, when I opened it the suds just kept pouring out like champagne.

Smell: There you have it, it catches you there at least it does me. One think I have learned to appreciate of Belgian beers is that herbal funky smell.

Taste: Very drinkable, smooth, and not too boozy for 6.5% although in the times in which we live that is not all that much alcohol. Fruity, funky, with some bitterness, but not very much at all. The bottle gives more of a history rather than what it contains, nevertheless the history lesson is interesting.

Overall impression is I do like this style and could drink more of it. I like the clove, tropical fruit, and funk mix. Its also very smooth which makes it a warmer weather beverage. This is supposed to be the quintessence of the style and I do like that about it. Some of the American breweries that are making the style are mucking it up with all these herbal additions, leave the yeast to do the job my friends and it should speak for itself. This is a good overall beer.

2.25/5  rDev -46.2%

3.5/5  rDev -16.3%

4.46/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.5/5  rDev -16.3%

4.27/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

A- Hazy golden straw color with a huge white head with good retention. Yeast flecks stay suspended for quite awhile.

S- Belgian yeast, banana, slight clove, some spice; quite nice.

T- Belgian yeast, phenolic funkiness, finishes with a lemony tartness.

M- Crisp with carbonation bite. Relatively light body.

O- Great beer, refreshing with a lot of yeast spiciness. Great example of the style.

Saison Dupont from Brasserie Dupont sprl