Saison Dupont | Brasserie Dupont sprl

Added by kbub6f on 02-26-2002

Ratings: 4,232 |  Reviews: 1,633
3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

4.33/5  rDev +3.6%

The bottles of this always open with an enormous bang, and the carbonation produces such an enormous thick white head that it always amazes me how pleasant the champagne like carbonation is to the palate. The beer pours a very hazy blonde and that huge head of course leaves a beautiful lace. The aroma has just the nicest hint of funk, along with some very earthy, fruity, and yeasty aromas. Everything is just in it's right place with the beer, and you can really tell that this recipe has been perfected over a considerable amount of time. This is not to say that this is a refined beer, because it very much is not, but this rustic nature is part of the great harmony of this brew. The flavor is at once dry and funky followed by pronounced fruitiness of apples and some citrus. There are certainly bubblegum notes but that is not to say that we are dealing with anything cloyingly sweet. Oh and it is hoppy too, the spiciness of the hops albeit is not the dominant flavor but lends well to the harmony of the dry and fruity flavors.

4.6/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.96/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.98/5  rDev -4.8%

375 ml green bottle poured into a hotel glass, I was on vacation and didn't bring a correct glass :(

A: Cloudy golden straw color with a 1 1/2 finger fluffy white head, good retention and lacing throughout the glass. Small chunks of yeast on the beer.

S: Slight old/musty citrus, but not in a bad way. Virtually no alcohol smell.

T: Sweetness reminds me of a hefe without the spice. I cannot taste any spice or pepper at all, like some have stated. Kind of like champagne, without the vinegar.

M: Refreshing, mild, bubbly with carbonation. No real aftertaste at all

D: Great drinkability, light, refreshing, slightly crisp makes this a nice summertime elixer.

I am new to Belgians, especially Farmhouses. I like the style so far, and I will be seeking other Farmhouses/Saisons for future endeavors. A very enjoyable ale.

4.01/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

L- Cloudy, bubbly, orange body with a fluffy white head.

S- Light fruity aroma, Belgian yeast esters.

T- Starts with light, sweet fruit, then moves to a slight tartness, and then a crisp, dry finish.

F- Bubbly! Refreshing.

O- Very refreshing beer, will definitely revisit in the summer.

4.14/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance – Pours a hazy straw yellow with a healthy amount of froth on the top. Lacing is quite abundant as it goes down.

Smell – The smell is nice. Grapefruit along with other citrus aromas arise prominently. There is also light pepper and yeast to go along.

Taste – At first when I sip I feel a dry sourness followed by a yeasty flavor. Pepper and other spices make an appearance as well. There is an apparent tart flavor that arises after this. Grapefruit, coriander, and orange are also present with a very slight hoppiness towards the end. The overall effect is nice.

Mouthfeel – Feels good. It’s silky, has subtle carbonation, and a somewhat dry finish.

Drinkability – Great. This one could be savored or downed quickly.

I quite like this beer and it makes me much more interested in trying other Saisons.

4.68/5  rDev +12%

Wow, this is my favorite Belgian beer I've had, and maybe my favorite of all time, or close to it. I know that is high praise, but this stuff is excellent.

Every sip is amazing, light, fluffy, but good flavor, refreshing as well, I could drink this all the time during the summer. Lemony-citrus flavor working, a slight bitterness to it as well, finishing a bit sour. Overall very well balanced, all flavors mesh together very well, you can definitely taste the yeast as well. Solid, solid beer.

Amazing pour and color as well. I've had a few of the American brewers version of a farmhouse ale, and this is a whole different ballgame. I want more.

4.54/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

3.78/5  rDev -9.6%

Presentation: 750ml (26oz) "champagne wine" bottle. 6.5% ABV

Appearance: A cloudy white / pale yellow colour with way too much white foam. When correctly poured, I got 2/3 foam head on a 1/3 fluid body. It dissappeared slowly.

Smell: A mix of yeast and alcohol.

Taste: It is very balanced. Yeast, bread, bitter hops tastes with some citrus (lemon) in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Excellent thin and creamy mouthfeel. It is easy to drink and very tasty.

Drinkability: Maybe because that's my first saison style beer, but I think that I didn't found all the qualities of this product yet. I didn't dislike what I drank.

4.24/5  rDev +1.4%

750ml, Has anyone ever confused this with a hefeweizen? Color and palate seem very similar. I've had this beer plenty of times but my 1st rating of it when the beer is in front of me. Aroma is captivating. Some slight bitter and off flavors on the finish. Floral, hay, summer day in the mountains cool refreshing type of beer, yet still showing a lot of hops. Could see how this could be considered the model all other Saison's are produced from. There is a weight and concentration I can't remember any other Saison having. I believe the cork was branded with the year, 2008. Very nice feature.

Saison Dupont from Brasserie Dupont sprl