Saison Dupont | Brasserie Dupont sprl

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by kbub6f on 02-26-2002

Ratings: 4,174 |  Reviews: 1,614
3.21/5  rDev -23.2%

Bottle poured into a tulip

A: Pours a very light yellow. The pillowy cloud of head looks like you could rest your head on it and fall asleep and it glistens in the light. Spectacular.

S: Aroma is spicy and yeasty. Wafts of fresh cut straw emanate, not all that sweet but great for a farmhouse ale.

T/M: Lots of bubbles up front are tangy. It takes a second for the fizz to dissipate from the tongue, but once they do, the flavor is very light with a bit more spicy earthiness and just a little metallic like champagne.

It’s a very light, fizzy beer, not that bad but there are better choices. It looks incredible, though.

TheBeerAlmanac.com

3.22/5  rDev -23%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a chilled Duvel tulip glass.

-Appearance 3.5: Poured out a cloudy, straw yellow. Nice, inch-tall head that slowly shrank to a half-inch. Lots of carbonation bubbles present all over the beer.

-Smell 1.5: After I pulled out the cork, I was immediately hit with that baddest sign of all bad beer signs...skunky smell. I thought this might be the problem when I saw that Saison was in a green bottle, but I bought it anyway. Luckily, after the pour the skunkiness dissipated...for the most part. I could still slightly pick it out. Still, the yummy Belgian bouquets that were present were good, it was just hard to move beyond an unwelcome appearance by Pepe le Pew.

-Taste 4.0: Front is a nice visit from that famous, spicy, Belgian yeast. Middle is a very pleasant, smooth and subdued barley hit. Finish is all carbonation, a slight sweetness of the lightest caramel you can imagine, and a refreshing -almost undefinable-- citrus taste. Aftertaste is a subtle, slight sweetness.

-Mouthfeel 3.5: Above average. This brew is highly carbonated, but it really adds to the experience rather than detracts from it. Refreshing and thirst-quenching.

-Overall 3.5: Good, but certainly not "world class." I have to admit that the skunkiness factors into this, and why not? Should I give the beer makers at Brasserie Dupont a break on their idiotic decision to internationally distribute a very expensive beer in a giant green bottle? I don't think so. Good beer, probably would be better without the green bottle and unless I can find one that is not in a green bottle, I will not be buying it again.

3.23/5  rDev -22.7%

750 ml bottle split and poured into a Sierra Nevada tulip.
6.5% ABV, 2.010 on the cork.

A - It's not a gusher but damn is this one full of carbonation! The tulip was quickly filled with dense white foam. Great retention kept us from enjoying it for quite a while but, as the foam loosened it left some pretty nice lace above the slightly hazy yellow beer.

S - Wafts of skunk come from the beer which makes me wonder, once again, why breweries insist on using green (and clear) glass. [The first bottle we tried months prior smelled like a skunk dropped ass beside us when we opened it.] Subtle spicy notes of coriander and white pepper with earthy clay and yeast. Hints of lemon grass through the finish.

T - Bland across the board, pale malts back up a faint spicy profile of lemon grass and peppery yeast. Very bland, almost like faintly flavored water, honestly.

M - High carbonation is spritzy in the light-bodied mouthfeel. This saison finishes dry with a touch of saltiness and a slight metallic feel.

O - While this beer isn't offensive in any way, it's completely lacking in flavor which makes it hard to believe it's worthy of the high score it's received. That leads me to question whether there's something wrong (besides a little skunk) with this bottle. And for attempt number two at purchasing bottles, neither the DTrain or I will every be buying one again for a re-review.

3.24/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

33cl bottle poured into a tulip glass.

L: Pours a golden body with a nice, thick head. Good retention and lacing.

S: Apple, touch of citrus (I'm reminded of an Affligem for some reason, but it's less floral).

T: Follows smell, with some sweet maltiness. Somewhat bitter, earthy.

F: Light carbonation, light bodied. Discreet aftertaste, not unpleasant but a bit mild for my tastes.

O: I'm surprised at the high ratings -- this is my first Saison and I'm a bit disappointed as I can't really tell a difference from a regular Belgian Pale Ale. I may try it again once I'm more knowledgeable about the style.

3.25/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Not my cup of tea

3.25/5  rDev -22.2%

Very citrusy orangy aroma. Cloudy yellowish color. Cloudiness is from the yeast. Very strong head and good hold on the glass. Crisp and clean finish very fizzy and highly carbonated. Very light and refreshing. Good beer for a hot summer day. Tastes somewhat bitter but do not consider it bitter because it just has no sweetness to it.

3.25/5  rDev -22.2%

Slightly cloudy light golden color. Smell is of bananas and citrus. Taste has banana/hefeweizen notes with a clean finish. Enjoyable refreshing beer but nothing special.

Saison Dupont from Brasserie Dupont sprl