Saison Dupont | Brasserie Dupont sprl

Ratings: 4,259 |  Reviews: 1,641
4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

3.5/5  rDev -16.3%

4.11/5  rDev -1.7%

A- Hazy honey color with a giant white head that leaves a good deal of lacing.
S- Smell is lemon first with a light sourness and a bit of a funky note.
T- Big lemon flavor up front. There is just a bit of sweetness and a fairly assertive earthy funk. A bit of pepper, clove, and coriander in the finish.
M- The mouthfeel is fairly light with an assertive carbonation. A bit foamy in the mouth at times.
O- A well made classic Saison. There may be some out there that I enjoy me more, but this is a good example of a classic Saison. Worth trying.

4.36/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours a lovely deeo golden straw yellow, slightly hazy, but clear enough that I can see a massive rush of bubbles up through the glass. Huge frothy white head that almost overflows the glass, even without a vigorous pour. That head is incredibly persistent, and leaves huge gobs of lacing.

Smell is fruity, but heavy on the spicy yeast. Fruits are a mix of citrus and stone fruit - sweet lemons and light peaches. The yeast is pungent, with some mild pepper. Also has a bit of that hefeweizen banana-and-clove aroma. Quite nice.

Taste is a great balance of rich, yeasty, pungent flavor with a light spice, topped by a bit of fruit. Hard to describe, as the components are all integrated in a way that makes it more than the sum of its parts.

Mouthfeel is spot-on. Carbonation feels a little high for me, but everything else is good. Dries out quickly, leaving just a touch of bitterness to linger.

A very solid saison. Definitely on the earthy/pungent/spicy side, but with enough fruit to brighten things up. It's a great example of the level of complexity that can be achieved with saisons. There's a whole lot going on, but none of it knocks you over. And it's one of the prettier beers I've encountered.

4.33/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours a golden color with sediment from th eyeast floating about. Active foamy head that is loose structured but still rather tight. Carbonation is quite lively and active. The aroma has a yeasty and malty smell. It's pungent and sharp or acidic. taste is wseet malts with yeasty undertones. A complex taste from this lighter weight beer. There is some spiciness going on, and some acidic notes giving it a sharp and tangy feel. Then there is the bright carbonation bubbles across the palette. Ending dry and bitter, but I'm the one dry and bitter!
A good beer for pungent cheeses me thinks.

4.32/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: Pale golden color, limpid. Lots of carbonation. Huge white long lasting head.

S: Herbal, spicy. Also funky.

T: The attack on the palate is frank and sharp, at the same time acid and bitter. Then, the taste follows the nose with herbal, fruity but also spicy flavors. The bitterness does not linger very much. Yeasts are clearly dominating. Finishes very dry.

M: High carbonation responsible of the frank attack. Very refreshing.

O: A good shot. Representative of the style. Easy to drink (good carbonation, no excessive bitterness, low alcohol), but not watery and really flavorful. The (slight) funky aspect may surprise while looking for something more fruity however. Overall, a beer to consume on regular basis.

4.23/5  rDev +1.2%

From my beer journal. Reviewed on September 3, 2011.

A: Pale straw golden color, very cloudy with a bit of light peaking through. Big fluffy, almost white head. Lots of bubbles. The head lasted really nicely.

S: Initially I had a bit of sunk, but it seems to have faded. A whole mess of funk after that with some sort of fruitiness. Lemon zest and herbs round it out. Very interesting.

T: Huge flavors. Hit me in the face really. Pale malts and nice herbal flavors. I enjoyed the citrusy lemon flavors that were in play. Great finish, just lightly bitter. The grassiness reminds me of the sweetgrass APA (but that's it obviously).

M: Light body with nice spiky carbonation.

O: This was a great tasting beer (and my first saison!). The funk was a little odd at first but once I got used to it (about halfway through) I realized I really liked it! Good stuff!

4.23/5  rDev +1.2%

I had this accompanied with some simply seasoned scallops, spicy shrimp, and a lemony spring salad. Really good pairing...

Amazing pour on this beer. Very thick and fluffy white head with long retention and lacing all over the glass. Almost soapy in its ability to linger and stick to the glass.

The smell is very citrusy, specfically lemon, and heavily spiced. There is also a funky beer smell.

The taste is again very lemony, with the spices working out well... at this point I can taste some noble hop and mild malts perfectly balanced so that they practically cancel each other out and allow the lemons and spice to dominate.

The mouthfeel is a bit sour, but very refreshing. High levels of carbonation and light.

A very simple yet sophisticated beer to go along with light meals.

4.15/5  rDev -0.7%

Golden straw color, just thick enough to be hazy. If you look close, you can see not only a HUGE white head on top (that literally grows and grows), but lots of carbonation going on inside the beer.

The smell of these things never gets old to me. Fruity, funky Belgian yeast is like smelling perfection. If you try hard, you can pick up some peppery spice as well. (By now, the beer has been in the glass for 5-6 minutes and the head has yet to fall; for the second time ever I've had to wipe my forehead with my finger and swirl it around just to get the head to dissipate).

Tastes like it smells, only the pepper and bready yeast dominate. Hints of peach/apricot, something citrus comes through from the funky yeast.

Medium-bodied with a mouthfeel picking up spicy, tart, sweet, dry notes; with a clean finish.

Beers like this really make me appreciate the style. I wish there was a bit more alcohol, but this is a solid beer.

4.12/5  rDev -1.4%

poured from bottle into a bordeaux stem. Poured a nice lighter gold color with a foamy head

Very aromatic and deep aromas of citrus', asian spices, fresh picked oranges and a slight hint of funk

Really good medium feel. Polished with really good flavors of citrus' and some bits of oranges

This is the standard bearer of the style and it didn't let down. A more classy saison with the aromas really making the beer. It's a more fresh style and its very good

3.96/5  rDev -5.3%

A defining beer for the style. I feel like around half of the saison threads I've read in the homebrewing forum have been trying to mimic Dupont. I hadn't reviewed this, so I felt like I had to get it and put something up on BA. This beer didn't quite have the pop I wanted when I uncorked it... though there's still a good amount of carbonation. The cork says 2.010, so I'll take it that this beer is at least a year old. Poured it generously into my Great Divide balloon glass.

THe beer is just a shockingly clear golden hue. The head is characteristically bone white with great density. However, since this seems a bit undercarbonated, the head died down quickly. If it would have stayed longer, this could have hit 5 territory. I love the look of a solid saison.

The nose is skunk and funk. I think these have to be the Saaz hops talking. Some people call those hops peppery, but I just get skunk. At least I now know the taste and I'm starting to appreciate it for what it is. To go along with the skunk, there's a bit of a farmhouse funk that seems to blend together. They are interestingly similar and they make good complements. It's not perfectly appealing, but it's nice.

The taste is along the same lines. Lingering skunky bitterness. Complemented by a smoother funky farm flavor. There's also a dryness and sharpness in the body. It's almost like a strong lemongrass flavor (isn't all lemongrass strong?). Good carbonation (despite the bottle pressure) gives a tingly prick on my tongue. This stuff just flows down my throat.

I like this beer quite a bit. However, I will naturally downgrade anything that's this noble and Saazy. That said, this beer is still quite interesting and I'm happy to have it. I don't think it's the best saison I've had (I prefer Boulevard, Brooklyn and maybe Hennepin from what I've had), but it's definitely an interesting entry for my beer palate.

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

A: HUGE head on this beer, by far the most remarkable quality of the appearance. The beer itself is a hazy, straw yellow color, the enormous 4 finger white head is thick and solid with a almost infinite retention and a good amount of lacing.

S:Once you get past the head to actually smell the beer it is yeasty, with lemon peel and grains.

T: Nice tasting beer. Yeast is definitely heavy and brings a slight banana taste, but there is also a lot of spiciness, some grassiness and a lot of lemon flavor. The distinct bitterness of the beer actually reminds me more of lemon pith than lemon peel, which inexplicably works.

M: Light with a lot of carbonation. Finishes smooth.

O: I am always a fan of the saison style, and this is certainly no exception. Easy drinking, very refreshing and brings a lot of flavor. Certainly worth a finding a bottle or two. or three..

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a very nice hazy pale gold hue with an off white head. It leaves some clingy lacing on the glass.

Aroma is fruity esters, some hay, and orange peel. A little spice and earthiness in there too.

Flavor is slightly sweet upfront and then a nice earthy yeast note followed by some black pepper and a super dry finish. Very crisp and refreshing.

Mouthfeel is crisp. This beer has a great amount of flavor going on as well as being very refreshing and easy drinking. I could put a couple of these down.

Saison Dupont from Brasserie Dupont sprl