Saison Dupont | Brasserie Dupont sprl

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by kbub6f on 02-26-2002

Reviews: 1,583 | Ratings: 4,069
4.16/5  rDev -0.2%

A-pours a pale blonde with a very generous white head that sticks around and leaves lacing all over the glass
S-a slightly sweet nose with a really prounced spicyness with a hint of yeast in the background
T-a nice sweetness with a hint of fruits (bananas, apples and pear maybe) with a nice spicyness to compliment the flavor in absence of any hop presence very resreshing
M-rather light body and very little carbonation makes this beer extremely easy to drink with a yeasty spicyness to make this very refreshing
D-this beer is a perfect refresher and could easily be enjoyed all night (though it's not really widely available in the states but if it was i would definately drink this on a regular basis

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

Served from a 750 ml bottle. Pours a semi-opaque golden with a substantial head that persists leaving about a one inch layer of foam and significant lacing. Aroma is not overpowering, and features a very pleasant hops tartness and green apples upfront, with notes of maltiness present in the background. Taste features more muted tartness and green apples, along with a bit of "barnyard" presence. Decent mouthfeel, featuring a restrained level of carbonation. I'm not overly familiar with this particular style, or Belgian products in general, but I'm impressed by its smoothness, and excellent drinkability.

4.46/5  rDev +7%

first time i ever tried this style of beer and once i had it i decided i needed to go out and try many more saisons especiallyt the local ones and see what this is all about

when i popped open the bottle of saison dupont there was a mini explosion huge pop sound then the beer came cascading over the top of the bottle so i quickly poured it into the glass

the beer was hazy and very bubbly it had a huge head right on top of it and it came all the way bursting over the top

the aroma was not that intense i just got a little bit of some rustic smell in it and some mineral smell as well

the mouthfeel was outstanding very carbonated and refreshing i liked it alot

overall this is a great style of beer and it prompted me to try lots of other examples from other breweries i really like the saison style

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

I've been getting in to Saisons. Time to try this classic again.

A - Pours a bright clear light-yellow with a four finger fluffy head. Great big bubbles.

S - Mainly earthy, with some citrus and floral aspects as well. Deep, complex, and delicious smelling.

T&M - Very complex and very light at the same time, which makes it a winner. The carbonation and acidity make the spicy, grassy flavors dance on the palate. That sounds a bit fancy, but this is a fancy beer. Mmm...

D - I always buy the little bottle and wish I had the big bottle. If only it didn't need to be imported, I'd drink this with almost every meal. This one lives up to the reputation.

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%

This looks like it going to be my highest rating but it's my favorite beer.

I was impressed with the head on this one, can I say the whole glass just about it. It really has that cloud like texture to it. Puffy and thick where it clings to the side walls.

Taste like a water down tripel wich is good because I really haven't gotten into them yet. To harsh for me. So the taste is smooth and really goes down well.

Bottle was a 375ml/ 12.7 oz. with a wired cage.

Cloudy, light golden look

I only got one of these but I will remember. I need to get some more of these beauty.

4.89/5  rDev +17.3%

I picked up a few small bottles on clearance a few years ago. I've been buying it again and again ever since. This is one of the best beers I've ever had.

3.78/5  rDev -9.4%

I did a blind taste test of this next to Ommegang's Hennepin and the Lost Abbey's Red Barn Ale.

The pour is a cloudy yellow with a tall head of white. Decent lacing and retention.

Dupont has the most subtle aroma of the three, which was a bit of sign of things to come. Sour apples, cloves and pepper lightly rise to the nose.

The taste is the least sweet of the three and primarily consists of sour apples. Also cloves, anise, and that pepper again. I was not tremendously impressed with the taste, yet it did offer a complexity on the palate that I didn't find in the others.

High carbonation seems usual for saisons and doesn't cause any problems here. However, the aftertaste is bone dry and not to my liking.

An interesting beer that stood out from the pack, not in its superiority, but in it's uniqueness. My brother rated this his favorite of the three and it was my least. To each his own.

4.1/5  rDev -1.7%

375 ml bottle to glass, champagne type cork kinda fun to pop. Pours with a ton of foam, almost a gusher, looks cloudy dark yellow, smells earthy and a little grainy. Taste is fairly big but not necessarily malty nor hoppy, sort of starchy or grainy, maybe funky. I liked it. Good drinkability after you get your bearings, this has a pretty unique flavor.

4.39/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

750 ml green bottle, when I popped the cork the foam came out like champagne, ran off for a good 3 minutes, praying there would actually be beer to taste afterward.

A - Tons of white bubbles, highly carbonated. Yellow golden color and cloudy, once the bubbles go almost no lacing.

S - Earthy smell, you make out the grains in the background. Barely detect any hops.

T - Phenolic, almost a raw grain flavor, ends slightly tart. A slight aftertaste of yeast.

M- Smooth, tart and carbonated. Very interesting.

Overall - A good introduction into this style, refreshing summer drink.

4.33/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is the grandfather of all Saison's. Pours a clear and clean orange color with large white head. Nose of light pepper, onion and citrus, same with flavor. Love this beer!

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%

2004 edition of the 750.

Appearance: Like many Belgians, this one poured a hazy golden, more on the yellow end than orange.

Smell: The froth laden head carried an aroma of sweet fruit and light malts, hops are difficult to identify here.

Taste:It tastes tart like a saison should, there is a mild spice coupled with a citrus flavor and that farmhouse yeast flavor.

Mouthfeel: This beer is quite fizzy in the mouth, and a bit dry, but refreshing nonetheless.

One of the better beers that I have sampled in this style.

4.27/5  rDev +2.4%

There is a hazy pale straw color to it. Light passes through easily enough, but the cloudiness makes seeing through it near to impossible. When poured into a pint glass a dense off-white head forms about half an inch thick. It fades slowly and even at the end a nice ring is still around the edge of the glass, with a film over the top. A creamy lacing forms on the side of the glass.

When brought to the nose, the first thing you notice is a spicy mixture of clove and coriander. There is a sweet banana-like scent. A touch of yeast carries the rest of the scents and there is a slight white pepper accent to it that brings it all together. The flavor is spiciness with a mellow fruit and hop flavor. The fruit sweetness is balanced by hop bitterness that combines for a beer that isn't too sweet nor is it too bitter. The taste is rather refreshing with a mild aftertaste that lingers gently.

This is a light bodied beer. The carbonation provides a crisp bite. There is a creaminess to it that is pleasant on the tongue, but isn't thick or coating.

This is a pleasant beer to drink. It's light, flavorful and easy to drink. The sediment is a little disconcerting. In fact I would have given it a higher appearance if it wasn't for the sediment. This is an enjoyable beer to drink, and I would enjoy drinking this more on a hot summer day than on a gold winters evening.

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

“Just started to get into Saisons and have found them to be extremely refreshing. This is one of the best. A nice cloudy golden pour with a huge white head. Nice lacing on my glass. Great aroma of bread, honey, citrus, and black pepper. A wonderful refreshing brew with spices and tartness. Perfect combination.”

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

I've had this a few times now. On tap at Victoria Gastro Pub (Columbia, Md.)

In a 20oz nonic, oddly, but it worked well for various reasons.

Refreshing, full-bodied and aromatic. I've had a love/hate thing going with Saison DuPont, and its biteyness and just something odd and off-putting in it always struggle with me. It was still there this time, but subdued and the natural aromatics and varied flavors that I love about saisons came through here.

Grassy and just a touch hoppy with sweetness and that great nose, good stuff. When it's cared for properly this is a thrill to drink and I was nearly thrilled this time. Nearly. I certainly didn't recoil as I sometimes do with Saison DuPont.

4.49/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great beer. Opened it and could hear the carbonation, very bubbly. Very smooth to drink from start to finish. This is definitely a beer to drink again and again.

The smell was sweet and the first sip was as good as last. I could see drinking this on a hot summer day while hanging out with friends.

4.1/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours hazy and light orange with tons of fluffy white head. Somewhat sticky looking lacing. Aroma of citrus and spice, melon, clove, slight hint of banana.

Taste is far spicier and less citrus sweet than the aroma. Somewhat biting hop bitterness in the background. Slight musty character. Fairly intense if not overly complex flavor profile. Very taste, easy to drink, though the biting character may tire the pallete. Very bubbly mouthfeel, light and clean.

Yummy!

1.71/5  rDev -59%

This was the first of two beers I tried as part of my sampling of bottled Belgian beers offered by BJ's in Burbank, and it was also my first saison. I commend them on their selection, but this one did not provide a pleasant experience.

Poured into a tulip glass, it revealed a light, golden, transparent hue, bubbly and with minimal head.

The odor was a sort of malty, biscuity, wet hay kind of smell. I got the impression that the term "farmhouse ale" alluded to the fact that the beer shared certain qualities with the inside of a barn.

The mouthfeel was heavy on the carbonation, mildly alcoholic, and left a nasty stale aftertaste.

It tasted malty, biscuity, and musty. I was immediately reminded of when I made the mistake of letting rain-soaked jeans sit folded for several days and then opened them up and took a good whiff.

I only finished this beer because I bought it at a restaurant and wanted to save face and get my money's worth to the best of my ability. I found this brew to be just a step above malt liquor, perhaps somewhere between a Colt 45 and a Rolling Rock. I'm hoping this is just a bad example of the style, but I'm apprehensive to continue my journey through the saison world.

I thought maybe the beer had gone bad, but I talked to the bartender and he said that while some people enjoy it, the overwhelming majority say something to the effect of it tasting like a wet sock. Maybe the whole case went bad...? I feel bad giving a beer that was actually trying to be good such a low rating, and I may try it again elsewhere just to be fair, but it won't be any time soon.

4.15/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours thin, but finishes well. This Farmhouse Ale is legendary, and rightfully so.
It is crisp and more well ballenced then most Farm house Ales. The ABV is good at 6.5 and is no way over powering. Like many beers of its kind it is hard to find in certain parts of the south, but as the tastes change it will be more and more readily found through out my home relm.
Check this farm house ale out if you get a chance it's great!

4.41/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 375ml bottle into Chimay goblet.

A - Course, foamy white head. Pale, slightly hazy gold color.

S - Damp straw, sharp citrus notes, and a little Belgian funk.

T - Light malts, bitter citrus (some grapefruit, some lemon) in the corners, very well balanced for a saison.

M - Crisp, light, effervescent, slightly dry, no single aspect stands out. Balanced and quite refreshing.

A great saison. A well balanced mix of tart, malt, bitter, and yeasty funk.

4.65/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

L: Poured into a Pint Defiance tulip. Two finger head, orange tinged yellow filled with floaters.

S: Plenty of Belgian yeast, some notes of honey, vague spiciness, and some unidentifiable funkiness.

T: Same as the smell, but nicely dry. Very good.

M: Medium bodied with a lot of foam going on. Bubbly carbonation prickles the tongue as the beer rolls across.

4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

Small 33cl bottle bought in ABS drinks in Winksele.

Appearance: The bottle made a serious hiss when opened. The brew itself poured a very hazy orange liquid with an incredibly big & pillowy head. I had to be careful not to pour the string of yeast that resided at the bottom of the bottle in the glass. Quite intresting as far as the looks are concerned.

Smell: Crisp spices; fruits; yeast; with some of that 'barnyard' aroma vaguely in the background. Involving and complex

Taste: Quite tart and yeasty. There's some kind of odd -but not out of place- sourness in there as well. Some fruity notes to bring you to a bitter finish.

Mouthfeel & Drinkability: Active carbonation and a smooth, creamy mouthfeel. Quite drinkable; although somehow I wouldn't want to be drinking this all night.

Conclusion: A tasty brew and one of the better saisons I've had thus far. It's certainly a lot better than it's bio counterpart, although I'm not quite sure if it really lives up to the hype.

Look is Golden Straw Yellow, huge head on this beer as expected. Really nice. Smell is grass, barnyard funk, light alcohol, malt, biscuit. Taste is malty, spciy and lemon/lime, some light funk comes on nice. Feel is light and dry typical to style. Overall a classic. One of my go to beers. This beer goes well with all none desert food, is good through every season. In my opinion one of the best beers out there.

4.43/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Summer in a bottle.

Few month old 750 in a large bowled tulip on a hot summer day.
Beautiful tall head, Small amt of haze
Mildly prickly, almost a tiny but "zesty" but then smooths out quickly--epitome of the style
Refreshing and just what the doctor ordered and enjoyed by everyone--newbie to very experienced taster.

4.68/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Probably the best Saison I've had. Saison's are obviously fairly unpredictable, but this just felt like the kingpin of saisons. Almost like Pliny is to doubles. It was well balanced, not too funky. I tasted banana bread, with the yeast carrying through the palette, with a small hop/orange peel on the end. Greatly balanced brew IMO.

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

Nice, cloudy gold color, with a huge, long-lasting, cratering head. Upon opening the bottle (gotta love the sheer entertainment value of corked & caged bottles...) I was greated with a huge whiff of skunk, which passed after a minute in the glass. Overall, though, the aroma was restrained - I may have served it too cold, but I doubt it. Tastes of apple, sourness, Both taste and aroma are funky, as per the style, but not nearly to the extent that I had expected/hoped. Good drinkability and mouthfeel, but overall I was disappointed with this beer. Perhaps I had an old bottle, but I just felt the beer was lacking character, and paled in comparison to Hennepen, the only other saison I've had. If I can find a definitely fresh sample I may try it again, but other than that, I doubt it.
After reading other reviews, I would agree that you can probably come up with a whole host of subtle flavors if you put your mind to it, but this bottle just didn't do it for me.

Saison Dupont from Brasserie Dupont sprl