Saison Dupont | Brasserie Dupont sprl

Added by kbub6f on 02-26-2002

Ratings: 4,191 |  Reviews: 1,620
3.72/5  rDev -11%

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured from bottle to goblet.

Appearance - Golden orange with tons of suspended yeast, some is large other is small. Poured with a 1 finger creamy head.

Smell - Smells very funky and bready, getting some sour fruits out of it, cherry and pears, very estery with that ever familiar belgian smell.

Taste - Wow this one is great, I love the taste, cherries comes right through the sweet bready malt, but yet has a nice hop presence on the end to pale it out and make it very enjoyable. A bit of citrus in the finish. Very wonderful.

Mouthfeel - This one feels good in the mouth. Just the right amount of carbonation and consistency. This is a winner.

Drinkability - Fairly good, I could drink a few of these but maybe just a bit sweet. A few and I would be feeling great though, nice beer for the summer.

Another great belgian.

4.18/5  rDev 0%

Beautiful, translucent, golden yellow hue, with 2 finger head that dissipates slowly. Plenty of streams of carbonation that rise to the top. Leaves nice lacing. Yeasty, citrusy smell and I get a hint of oak. The taste is fruity, some banana, some raisins and green apple that ends dry. Light mouthfeel that is well carbonated. Overall, one of the best saisons I've had. Perfect for a summer's day. I would get this again but for $20 a 4 pack, it might not be too often.

4.33/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottled Date Code: L12279B

A: Hazy yellow golden with a soft white head of foam of small bubbles which stick to the glass and refuse to give way.

S: Bright and clean with mineral notes along with apple, green grapes, kiwi, and pear. There is also some honey along with chewy and cracker-like maltiness. Faint peppercorn and clove add to the nose.

T: Brief mineral and metallic edge with strong ester fruitiness similar to the nose: tart apple, green grapes, kiwi and pear. The yeast also offer some subtle hay and barnyard funk which plays off the fruity esters. Honey and cracker malt sweetness come through in the middle. The finish is of mild earthy bitterness and astringency with subtle but ample dose of black pepper and clove.

M: Light to medium with mild chewiness and moderate carbonation which adds to the overall lightness of the brew.

O: A refreshing and bright beer which draws true strength from the yeast. A necessary beer to experience for anyone who wishes to understand Belgian beer styles. At $8.99 at BevMo, this brew will be a regular in the rotation for the warm season which is settling upon Los Angeles.

4.41/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 375ml bottle into Chimay goblet.

A - Course, foamy white head. Pale, slightly hazy gold color.

S - Damp straw, sharp citrus notes, and a little Belgian funk.

T - Light malts, bitter citrus (some grapefruit, some lemon) in the corners, very well balanced for a saison.

M - Crisp, light, effervescent, slightly dry, no single aspect stands out. Balanced and quite refreshing.

A great saison. A well balanced mix of tart, malt, bitter, and yeasty funk.

4.27/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.55/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a vivacious head of 3-4 finger thick head that sits like a cloud on top of an opaque golden sun of beer. It looks beautiful to be sure! some sediment is visible.

bright summer hay and lots of crisp fruits and berries on the nose. fresh yeast is right up front along with some spiciness. Very vibrant scents.

Taste follows scent with yeasty summer grasses, dried golden raisens, and meadow florals (think lavender). Finish is hoppy with nice crisp bitterness. Lots going on with the flavours, great depth without being heavy in the slightest.

In the mouth its well carbonated and light but with good body.

Overall this is just gorgeous, cant say enough about it. Wonderful classic Saison notes with bright and airy flavours throughout, perfect for summer. Its an instant favourite, dont miss it!

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

Loud champagne “pop” when removing the cork. Huge spritzy head that reduces quite slowly. Big tart aroma with some notes of white wine notes. Aroma is also dry and woody with earthy, musty notes. Tart apples are also on the nose. Lace is very sticky and forms a curved bowl from the surface up to the sides of the glass. Nice golden hue with a very slight haze. The start is smooth, quite malty, and somewhat fruity with notes of peach and sour apple. Quick hit of considerable carbonation is soon to follow. Carbonation lends to a rather fluffy mouthfeel. Spice notes come out in the middle – clove being the most noticeable. The finish is tart and dry with malt undertones still noticeable. First saison that I’ve tried. Very drinkable and enjoyable, but I’m not sure that I notice the “farminess” that some folks notice other then the mustiness up front.

3.83/5  rDev -8.4%

A- Giant, rich, pure white foamy head with really strong retention and super clingy lacing. Pale clear yellow color.

S- Obvious Belgian yeast characteristics. A little earthy with some notes of lemon and some sweet light flavors. Not a bad aroma, and it definitely has a good smell, especially for how light the beer is.

T-Not bad. A light malt characteristic, a little light fruit flavors (pear maybe). Moderately sweet with a dry finish. Splitting a bottle with a friend and he said that it really reminds him of champagne, and i tend to agree.

M- Really carbonated, sparkling mouthfeel (again, from the Belgian yeast. Not bad, but it verges on being too powerful and bubbly.

O- Not a bad beer. The aroma, flavors, and color are all impressive considering the lightness of the beer, but I am not overly impressed with it. I might be style biased, but I think this one is just a touch overrated.

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

4.42/5  rDev +5.7%

OK, so I am a newbie, but I have opened a champagne bottle or two in my lifetime. Still, watch out opening this one. The cork popped off nearly in my face after a couple of twists on the cage.
My wife thought it smelled of champagne, I thought it was earthier, musty. Since I popped the cork early, there was a big white frothy head. Even the second glass had quite a bit of foam that clung to the glass.
I know I've tasted something similar to this before but I can't place it just now. (Chimay? Duvel?) Fruity start with a nice dry finish.
I actually had this beer with a spicy Asian noodle dish, and it went reasonably well. My mouth cooled down and the beer's flavors came through with flying colors.
2/3 of the way through the 75 cl bottle and I'm feeling good. Very drinkable, nice fruitiness and crisp finish.

4.15/5  rDev -0.7%

750ml bottle into Duvel tulips.

Appearance- cloudy honey-golden color. Decent amount of tiny floaties, full, thick, pure white head. Lacing is thick and clumpy and heavy.

Smell- citrus, hops, and a light grassy smell. Faint wafts of spice, fruits and yeast.

Taste- rich, juicy fruit, paired with several spices. Oranges and lemons seem to be the predominant fruits, but while their flavors are mouth-wateringly present, their sweetness is replaced with a hoppy bitterness. Swallow is yeast and a hint of alcohol into a dry, clean aftertaste, leaving the palate cleansed.

Mouthfeel- light, slightly juicy. Hops keep it crisp, and the aftertaste is clean and dry.

Drinkability- solo the drinkability isn't amazing, this is a 'with food' beer; but even alone I could drink a glass or two of this a week, no problem.

3.79/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I really enjoyed this beer. I had it today at our beer tasting at my work, Wines Unlimited and it had an entire array of exotic flavors. When I looked at the beer in my tasting glass, It looked yellowish, with hints of green reflection glow. Good head, and retention. The smell was intense and could be smelled at least 3 feet away. It smelled of grass, hops, skunk, and I caught a note of sweetness in the smell. Then I drank it slowly, the flavors really explode on the palate and lingers well after the consumption. This I think is a world class beer.

4.17/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.77/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured a 750 mL bottle into a snifter.

A: Pours golden, brownish-orange, hazy appearance, with a full, rocky, tightly beaded head and lacing.

S: unfortunately had a skunky aroma, after awhile the skunkiness flashed off and left it with a refreshing, citrus-fruit and slightly floral aroma.

T: Begins with a dried fruit, cherry-like flavor, combines with earthiness, then a clovy taste works its way in. Ends with an earthy, slightly mouth-watering bitterness. A very refreshing flavor. After awhile an orange citrus flavor is present in the beginning. Reminds me of a light tripel.

M: Very fluffy and light, adds to the refreshingness of the beer.

D: More drinkable than a tripel, nice flavor complexity balanced with a light mouthfeel makes for a refreshing beer. I could enjoy a number of these.

Edit: I was going to change my review because 3.85 seems awfully low for a beer this enjoyable. However, I noticed that other reviewers noticed the skunkiness. It is unfortunate that the shippers and distributors aren't helping but neither is the green bottle. I let my scoring stand but if you can let the skunkiness flash off then this is a great beer well worth drinking.

4.46/5  rDev +6.7%

22oz caged and corked beer presented in one of my favorite bottles. inspiring... begs to be poured using a heavy fist tilting from high on the neck of this green bottle. Already I feel just a bit like I am sitting on a stone wall on a French farm. I split this beer with my wife, and we each pour the contents into a tulip glass. A straight pour. Head is intense, blossoms taller than two, almost three fingers, with decent retention that eventually gives way and almost disappears altogether. Golden straw color, clouded at first by yeast suspended onto the fine bubbling that eventually settles and brings some clarity. Lacing retains low viscosity, flowing quickly back into the glass.

Nose is predominately a super dry champagne yeast, mixed with a solid hit of funky mud. muted, dry and neutral, reminds me of an animal sheltered under a thick shell - this nose is hiding a complex organism. Only heavy inhalation reveals a bit of citric bite.

Man this taste is supreme. One of the most subtly complex beers I've come across. Starts out crisp with larger bubbles of carbonation. Orange zest becomes alcohol drenched pears and tart apples. Opens onto the tongue with a surprising amount of bready, mealy banana yeast, and pale malts. It seems that the carbonation has grown fuller and softer. Some refreshing orchard fruit - but still overripe and fusel - creeps back in as it works its way towards the back of the mouth, and then swallows with just enough of a hop bite to leave a lingering puddle of bitterness at both corners of my mouth. Along with this, there is a fair amount of alcohol heat left behind.
Mouthfeel is dry, drawn out with a bounty of mid sized carbonation bubbles that lend at times a crisp, then soft feel. Overall it is zesty, light bodied and moves well. It is never boring, stays refreshing and very drinkable. One of the standard bearers in my mind, even though it might not be the apex of the style.

On tap at Fountainhead Chicago as part of Saison event.

What can I say? This is the perfect beer. Appearance was cloudy yellow with great white head and good lacing. Smell and taste was wheaty and citrusy.

Mouthfeel was as SMOOTH as I've ever tasted beer before. I could drink this all day long...my new favorite beer. BUY THIS BEER.

Saison Dupont from Brasserie Dupont sprl