Foret | Brasserie Dupont sprl

brasserie-dupont.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by BeerAngel on 05-03-2002

3.15/5  rDev -21.6%

My first Saison, so far as I know. How appropriate I sample it on the Summer Solstice, having just read the description of the style.

Soft pour results in a highly carbonated brew hazy gold in color, with a head of thin, wispy bubbles that still manage to linger a satisfyingly long time.

Aroma is reminiscent of my beloved Belgian Tripels...light, spicy, with notes of candi sugar, malt, and citrus. Alcohol in the nose as well.

Taste is...bland. Initial notes of alcoholic heat, spicy citrus give way to the sharp bite of carbonation and then nothing. Reminds of Perrier a bit. After warming the palate detects some hop, but the alcohol begins to dominate too much.

Aftertaste is clean, leaving tongue scoured and ready for another taste.

Drinkable, to be sure, but cost prohibitive. Maybe I just don't like the style? If I'm gonna pay that much I'll stick with Chimay.

3.21/5  rDev -20.1%

Pours a cloudy, pale yellow color with a small white head. In the aroma, a dry yeastiness and somewhat skunky. In the taste, very dry, yeasty and a small hint of skunkiness. A small bite in the mouthfeel and a dry yeasty aftertaste. Very dry and yeasty, however the small skunkiness throws me off.

3.22/5  rDev -19.9%

Ultimately, a sweeter version of Saison Dupont, Like they took a whole ton of cane sugar and mixed it into the recipe. Not really a fan.

My rating: 3.5

3.22/5  rDev -19.9%

750 ml green bottle caged and corked, with 2.004 (don’t know what the . means) on the cork. Opened with a solid POP.
Aroma: Fruity, mostly apples, with a peppery spike, Belgian yeast, and a hint of horse blanket.
Appearance: Wow, that’s some head. Billowy, fluffy, starting to condense on itself forming a rocky landscape, clinging to the sides like it’s drowning. Body is a deep gold with a solid column of carbonation at the center of my Fischer tulip glass. Left clumps of foam on the side of my glass that look like I’ll need a wire brush to remove them.
Flavor: A mild malt taste, gentle fruit and pepper tastes, with a slightly funky finish, almost a cardboard but not unpleasant. Some alcohol tastes come through as well. Overall, a very subtle flavor, and somewhat like a wit minus coriander. I was expecting a more tart or sour flavor, but I’m not getting that.
Mouthfeel: Very bubbly, light-medium body, dry finish.
Overall Impression: Nice drinkability and I can see the refreshing qualities and can admire the mostly hidden alcohol. I was hoping for a more complex flavor, something really unique to help me identify “saison” in the future. All I got now is “wit – coriander”. Went well with my summer salad, a good thirst quencher.

3.23/5  rDev -19.7%

11 ozer from C'est le Vin.

Light.

In one word, this beer is just light.

It’s aromas are right on: honey, straw, herbs, citrus, wheat…but they are light. One has to strain their nose to catch them.

The taste is correct: Grassy with a well hoped bitterness and bite…but this too is too light and overly subtle.

The Mouthfeel too has the alcohol, grainy texture, and spiciness like it ought too only not enough.

This beer is just too light.

Appearance wise, I can’t complain. There is a rich light golden hew with a beautiful lasting white head.

Drinkability is quite high. This beer goes down rather smoothly and quickly.

This is a fine beer and there is nothing wrong with it. I rather enjoyed it. But really…there is no reason or me to buy this one at twice the price of the Hennepin when that Saison is so much better.

3.23/5  rDev -19.7%

I did not like Saison Dedont, but after reading some posts I wonder if it was skunked, so organic brown bottle…guess I like it or I don’t, no need to worry here.

Pours a huge head of white foam with lacing all over. This is some thick creamy full bodied foam, fills the whole damn glass. Yellow with a hint of orange body, dense with a lot of yeast body that looks pretty darn good. I have to say this looks tasty. Final pour fills the glass with a lot of floating yeast.

There’s a bit of funk here, but the hops and sweet banana malt finish is wonderful. This has me excited to taste.

I can’t quantify this one. Soft sweet malt like a hef, funky hops the dry the finish, and a strange stale something at the very front of the tongue.

Perfectly carbonated, creamy yet lively in body. Alcohol warms the mouth but doesn’t push beyond that point.

The flavor of this isn’t like any saison I’ve had. I don’t dislike it or like it. It really is unique and worth trying if for nothing else to try a unique flavor. I won’t be going back to this one the flavors don’t work for me. It seems like there’s an amount of stale dead flavor.

3.25/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.26/5  rDev -18.9%

Appearance – Light, cloudy yellow body with a giant head that went down slowly and laced the glass.

Smell – Thick, powdery mix of spices in this one. The light hops are present along with some malt, but mostly this is dominated by white pepper and other light spices.

Taste – The malt flavor is there, but again is is overrun by a powdery mix of light spices that seem to drown out the crispness of the hop flavors. There’s also a lime/lemon flavor that doesn’t go well with the ale.

Mouthfeel – Nice carbonation in accordance with the style.

Drinkability – This went down slow. It’s light, of course, but dull and overly spiced.

3.28/5  rDev -18.4%

750 ml bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Whoa. This is one crazy beer, and I knew it from the moment the bottle was opened: very strong aromas, I have never encountered a beer that smells so much like marijuana. It was so strong and pungent, I felt as though I were in a coffee house in Amsterdam.

It pours a thick butterscotch hue with an enormous head. But you don't even have to put your nose in the glass to get the pot aromas. There are also hints of hops and lemongrass in the nose, but I had to concentrate to smell anything beyond the pot. The mouth still has a strong marijuana/skunkweed presence, though I also taste wheat and hops.

I congratulate Brasserie Dupont for such a unique brew, but I struggled getting through the one glass (I was happy to be sharing the bottle), and don't really ever want to drink this again.

3.3/5  rDev -17.9%

I popped the cork off a bottle that had date of 2009. Poured it into an oversized Weizen glass.
Appearance: Orange center that yellows around the edges. Two finger head with very nice webbed lacing.

Smell: Sweet breads and a bit of dry green apple. Nice and earthy.

Taste: A little heavy on the bread side, this does get a bit better as it sits (and the yeast settles.) Nice hops. Simple, but good.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, but still a little heavier then other Saisons I've tried.

Drink: I'd go for their standard, the Saison Dupont before I'd pick this up again. Not bad, just not good enough.

3.34/5  rDev -16.9%

Cork year says 2010 so this one it at least 5 months old.

Dark golden yellow color with a big and fluffy white head. Fades down to a more manageable size pretty quickly and stays there for a while.

Upon opening bottle the initial aroma was full of of skunky ammonia note that made me suspect a bottle gone bad. However the skunkiness quickly subsided and left behind a more familiar barnyard funk that you get in the flagship Saidon Dupont. Light honey-like sweetness and some malt backbone can be detected.

Taste was surprisingly lacking in complexity. Malts provide a slightly sweet bready character and the yeast provides some funk and phenols with a peppery note.

Mouthfeel is crisp and bubbly with a medium body feel and a semi-dry finish. Overall, Foret is not a bad Saison. The funk however does seem to overpower the malts and the beer lacks the amazing diversity of flavors you get from Saison Dupont.

3.37/5  rDev -16.2%

750 ml green champagne magnum with no freshness date to be found other than the year 2002 on the cork which I assume it was the bottling year.

Appearance: Has a hazed golden cider hue, crackling carbonation leads to a fallen head though the lace sticks around.

Smell: Raw honey maltiness, brash grassy malt and hops, and herbal / earthy phenolic, cellar mustiness and yeast aromas all over the place. Suggestions of plums and mint come to mind as well.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Fluffy crisp on the palate, grassy from the grain and withered hop flavour. Hop bitterness is there but seems bigger only because it joins up with some medicinal phenols and a yeasty bite. Vague spicing and more grain in the mouth. Warming alcoholic esters are in tow but not without some fruitiness in hand. Touch vinous and lemony middle to end.

Notes: A simple beer, I expected a bit more. Rough around the edges showing some withdrawn complexities. There are other Saisons out there that are better.

3.4/5  rDev -15.4%

I had this on-tap at Max's during their Belgian Independence celebration. Served in a tasting glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a cloudy light golden color that reminds me of pear juice. There is a layer of fluffy white head that fades to a ring around the pour.

Smell: Very herbal and super yeasty. There is a mild sweetness in the background.

Taste: The herbal notes from the smell are there, but the yeast really dominates. Slightly tart and just a bit watery. Not overly interesting, but not unpleasant.

Mouthfeel: The body is a bit thin with tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I thought this one was a bit too watery and not very interesting. The smell was better than the taste.

Foret from Brasserie Dupont sprl