Foret | Brasserie Dupont sprl

brasserie-dupont.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by BeerAngel on 05-03-2002

3.63/5  rDev -9.7%

Warning, first saison I really remember drinking.

Pours a beautiful warm golden honey color. Oooo LaLa Saison.

Smells earthy, sweet, fruity, yeasty. Goody. Tapers off into an acidic smell.

I can see how this would be awesome on a hot summer day. Slight acidic taste, refreshing, peppery, hopp, sweet, bitter. I dont exactly have the words.

For me, the aftertaste waffles between pleasant and gross.

Probably a great beer, my palate isnt there yet.

4.6/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This is my 400th review. Poured this 750 mL dark green bottle into a Tripel Karmeliet glass. Cork said 2005. The body was a pale banana yellow. Lightly murky on the initial pour. Four+ fingers of pithy white head left clumps of lace and remained throughout the drink. Murkier on the second pour.

Smell was a clean yeasty crispness. Apples and pears.

Taste was creamy yet clean. Lightly funky. Bright but not sharp. Granny Smith apples. Very well balanced. Very drinkable. Not the usual chalky yeastiness of many Belgian ales.

Mouthfeel was medium bodied. Both rounded smoothness and a zippy light sizzle on the tongue. A very nice Saison.

4.15/5  rDev +3.2%

750 ml bottle as a gift from my main man Chris. Thanks!!

Pours a hazy golden amber, very thick white head forms, slowly settles down to a nice layer and ring, lots of lacing on the glass. Smell is sweet, some honey, bready malt, light funk, some sourness, big citrus bouquet, yeast, bit of a sharp lemony acidic aroma, some spices, quite refreshing. Taste is nice, some wheat, vanilla, citrus, sour funk, yeast, orange peel and spice in the finish, lightly acidic. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with medium carbonation, very smooth, very drinkable. Thanks Chris!

3.88/5  rDev -3.5%

Color: Blond with an amber streak. Foamy head that fades to a one-finger dollop.

Aroma: A bit light-struck (but not too bad). A deeper smell picks out spicy and earthy scents. Malty as well.

Taste: Spicy and earthy upfront. Smooth. Leaves a nice aftertaste. Hop isomerization is non-existent in the taste. Smooth taste. Definitely like a farmhouse ale to me.

Mouthfeel: Dry and spiced. Beer goes down easily.

Verdict: A decent example of a saison/farmhouse ale. I've had enough examples already that I don't think I could drink another. Still, I like this one.

3.88/5  rDev -3.5%

A= Large, frothy white head with a good bit of lacing
S= Smells very much like a hefe. Some bananas and cloves with some spice in there.
T= Taste follows the smell, with a little more spice in there.
M= High carbonation.
D= As much as I love this beer I couldn't have more than a couple.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

I love this beer. It might be my new favorite beer, in fact.

At first I was just wooed by the bottle, which has a lovely forest scene, but it's a real beauty inside and out.

Warm yellow hue, clean and crisp in the mouth with a lightly floral aroma. Citrusy, softly yeasty and lightly spiced with subtle grass and tropicals (like a nice hefe).

I will buy this beer again and again.

Pours a barely hazy golden color (probably from the tiny bit of yest that got stirred up during the pour) with an incredibly thick white head that leaves exceptional lace. Smells of spices, honey, even the syrup of cherries (werid, i know...but it's awesome and keeps my nose in the glass). The taste is also of spices, honey (not as much as the nose hinted at), and again, this marachino cherry flavor keeps coming up. It has a mild bitterness and a nice dry finish. Unfortunately, the Foret didn't have as much "funk" as I was hoping for, but nevertheless, awesome beer.

I am fairly new to Saisons but like what I have had so far and the Foret only adds to my encouragement to explore this style in more depth.

750ml, tulip, began at ~50 degrees and ended at ~60 degrees F.

4.17/5  rDev +3.7%

Good, floral taste. Had some citrus notes. Much like a La Chouffe, but more citrusy. Very cloudy, unfiltered. Good aftertaste. High price for one glass, but I would buy again for a special occasion. (Especially since La Chouffe is not available in pubs in Texas.)

Bottle: Poured a dirty yellow/beige color ale with a huge pure white foamy head with great retention and some lacing. Aroma of bready yeast with some nice floral Belgian malt notes but not as many hops as the vieille provision. Taste was a nice combination between some floral Belgian malt with some bready yeast which also provided a slightly spicy finish. Full body with some great carbonation and no apparent alcohol. Another great beer from this fine brewery.

4.27/5  rDev +6.2%

33 cl bottle, served in a big wine glass at 59 F/ 15 C.

Hazy golden color, a finger of frothy white head, finely textured lace.

Smells intensely of fruity black pepper, along with white grape, banana, apple, honeylike malt, some earthy herbal hops, smoky phenols, rock, and a touch of skunk. A warm sweetish note sort of like ginger or horseradish. Characterful, and very good.

Tastes fruity and peppery, fairly dry but with a touch of discernible sweetness, and a bit of acidity. Some moderate earthy hop flavor and bitterness accentuated by chalky minerals. Well balanced and quite refreshing. Honeylike malt, some gingery warmth, and a touch of smoke. Fairly long dry finish, pepper and mineral. Very tasty.

Fine texture, but it can border on fizzy and watery. Quite drinkable.

Very enjoyable, interesting and peppery beer.

4.63/5  rDev +15.2%

A: Pours a beautiful golden-orange color thats so cloudy it looks like its on nitrogen, deep creamy haze to it. I really enjoy the fact that many Belgians are unfiltered.

S: Smells of honey and a trace of apples.

T: A hint of sweetness up front, which leads to grassy pale malt and honey flavors, and a hoppiness that adds a particularly dry finish.

M: Feel is quite velvety with an almost creamy texture.

D: I personally find Saisons to be the most drinkable of the Belgians, and this one is no different. I could easily put back several of these. Witch is interesting considering its a relatively high 7.5% ABV, its also 100% organic how can you lose!

3.15/5  rDev -21.6%

Pours cloudy pale orange with heavy lacing and a short creamy head. Nose is a little grassy and alcoholy. The beer is rather strong in flavor with a lot of heavy herbal and fruitiness along with some noticeable alcohols (a bit too noticeable). Mouthfeel is on par with the style. Overall, I feel it could be a bit more balanced and flavorful, but is definitely a decent beer.

3.21/5  rDev -20.1%

Pours a cloudy, pale yellow color with a small white head. In the aroma, a dry yeastiness and somewhat skunky. In the taste, very dry, yeasty and a small hint of skunkiness. A small bite in the mouthfeel and a dry yeasty aftertaste. Very dry and yeasty, however the small skunkiness throws me off.

4.13/5  rDev +2.7%

Had this on tap at Max's the other day.

The beer pours a solid gold color with outstanding head retention and lacing. This is a very impressive looking beer. On the nose I get lots of honey and butter, with some underlying spice. On the palate this is a very nice beer, with sweet malt interwoven with honey, butter and bubblegum. However, the beer has a dry hoppy finish, giving the beer a very light mouthfeel. Abv. is well disguised, making this beer pretty drinkable.

A very nice, very solid beer from Dupont.

3.88/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours a cloudy orange-ish yellow with sediment. Almost looks hefeweizen-ish.

Smells, and tastes, of wheat/grass, some bitter/sour citrus tones, and tons of yeast. There isn't much sweetness here, just maybe a hint of malt to round out the sharp, countryside flavors.

Fairly drinkable. Crisp and dry.

3.7/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Beer bootle (33cl), tasted in 2002.

Appearance: blond color, beautiful light foam compact as well, effervescence average
Smell: nose of hops and yeast
Taste and mouthfeel: in the mouth, it is a little sour and spicy, fruity touch of malt and hops yeast
Drinkability: a good beer (bio) in the style Saison (noble beer).

Enjoyed at The Room, South Beach; reviewed from notes a couple hours later. Poured into two relatively shallow wine glasses for me and a female friend. Cloudy, sparkling gold with great head and lacing.

Aroma is outstanding - mostly a sweet apple and mango with just a little sweaty-sock character.

Taste - very impressive indeed. Redolent of apple cider without being sweet, also champagne grapes and a slight tartness. There's also a good bit of hop going on here, especially if you get a fresh bottle. Pepper. All the complexities pull together so well.

Mouthfeel is crisp and sparkling, without ever becoming heavy. It goes without saying that this beer is absolutely spot-on dry, but not at all chalky.

Drinkability is exceptional, as is this beer. It's so complex and substantive, yet feels so light and refreshing. I can't believe no one has given this a straight 5.0 yet. Granted, if I'd had this at home, alone, I might not have been inclined to give this straight 5s, so perhaps this rating is in part a product of the company I kept and general environment in which I sampled this beer...but I'll be damned if this didn't strike me as beer perfection.

I expected a near-clone of Saison Dupont, but this was not really all that similar, to tell you the truth. Foret is something else entirely...more peppery, a little more hoppy, and the really cool thing is, you don't have to search the world over to find a bottle. I can only imagine how well this will pair with a sharp cheese....in fact, I vow not to drink this again until I have a cheese that will do it justice.

Edit: I keep coming back to this, looking to revise my perfect score downward. I can't do it. In fact, I like each bottle more than the last. Easily the best organic beer on the planet. And, you think it's good by itself? Try pairing it with something. Which cuisine, you might ask? Pretty much any. Seriously. I even paired this with an authentic Key Lime Pie once, and it worked exceedingly well. Damn, it's that good....such a good "food beer" as well as an amazing drinker by itself. This is still the tightest (even though every bottle seems slightly different), most enjoyable beer I've ever had. There are many great beers in this style that happens to be my favorite, but *this* is the one I reach for when I'm really feelin' fine.

I should add, whether you get an aged bottle or a fresh bottle, both are very good in their own way. Really hoppy fresh, cidery with some attic quality aged. You can't go wrong. One of my favorite beers.

4.35/5  rDev +8.2%

Beautiful color in an oversized wine glass, ranging from egg yolk to mango to wheat depending on the light. Head is moderately thick and creamy, but not quite "whipped". Decent lace. Some large bubbles. Dissipates fairly quickly.

Smell is all Saison to me. I smell a bit of sourness (aspirin?), perhaps a little banana, clove, even a little banadan. Reminds me of a Heffeweizen.

I can taste the clove, some bitterness, some tropical fruit (more banana than citrus). I think of a combo lemon meringue pie / pumpkin pie when it's past the tongue. That's a good thing, and this is a beer I really like. I'd say it's as good as the Saison Dupont, but with a more attractive lable.

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

An excellent example of the Saison style. Pours a hazy golden copper with a huge, rocky, white, long lasting head. Lacing left all over the glass. Aroma is earthy and herbal, with a bit of funk in the background. Tastes spicy and peppery, with some herbal and fruity notes. Mouthfeel is thin with a slight touch of alcohol warming. Overall, an excellent brew. I could drink these all night.

3.8/5  rDev -5.5%

I must admit, that Belgian Saison is one of my favourite styles, and this, I feel, is a good example of what a Saison should be. It poured a cloudy egg yolk yellow/orange with a snow white head and plenty of fine grains of sediment. The smells is pleasantly musty like a damp basement and a bit yeasty, as well. The taste is more bitter than sour, but good none-the-less. Saison Dupont is the benchmark by which I judge all other Belgian Saisons, and this one is close, but not quite. Very tasty, though. Mouthfeel is smooth and right about where I feel it should be for the style. As I stated before, this is a good representation of the style. Glad I tried it.

4.72/5  rDev +17.4%

750 ml bottle poured into a Duvel glass.

Dark golden color. The foamy white head that is raised is monumental in scope, gigantic, rocky, leaving huge rings of foamy lace, as it slowly recedes an island remains in the center of the glass.

Aroma is beguilingly complex, sour, fruity, floral, fresh and lemony. Band aids...a touch of funk...bananas...lemons...cloves... a light, fresh complexity that is a fresh crisp counterpoint to the dark, vinous complexity found in the best quadrupels.

This beer hits the tongue with a full-on flavor assault, equal parts tart and bitter, yet with an underlying sweet fruitiness. At the same time it is light and crisp with lively carbonation that massages the taste buds, stimulating the tongue to accept all the flavor. Candi sugar at first, then banana, tart apples, grapefruity hoppiness and a long bitter finish of lemon peel and spicy, peppery cloves, alcohol heat saturating and pickling the tongue. This tart lemony finish makes this an astoundingly good food beer to match the richest and most strongly flavored dishes...I am dying for gooey gruyere-coated something or other.

A wonderful true Belgian Saison. I am really looking forward to exploring the other Dupont offerings.

3.73/5  rDev -7.2%

This beer pours a murky orange color with a thin, creamy head.

Smell of apples, all kinds of exotic fruits, estery. Also some yeasty notes that give the beer a solvent smell.

Taste of solvent, pretty hot alcohol and estery, green apples. I don't really like this estery part of the beer. To me it appears that a lot of sugar has been used, but it could easily be the yeast. A moderate bitter, which could be better and more hoppy. The malt brings some honey and apricot taste. Drinkability is not great, due to the hot alcohol.

4.1/5  rDev +2%

Pours a mostly clear golden amber color with a 1 finger white head that leaves a bit of a covering on the beer. Smells yeasty and earthy.

First taste is of earthy Belgian yeast. Relatively delicate flavors, with a touch of spice flavors. Some slightly sweet malt is back there, but this tends more toward the yeasty, sharp side. Very refreshing, definitely.

Mouthfeel is relatively light and finishes with a very refreshing bit of carbonation. Makes this one very drinkable and refreshing.

Recommended. Nicely done with organics as well!

4.48/5  rDev +11.4%

The organic claims made on the label of this beer intrigued me. I tasted this beer in a large 16 ounce goblet and after pouring noticed immediately it's unique mandarin color. The head was frothy and chunky with red specks dappling it's tufts from the yeast poured from the bottom of the bottle. It smelled citrusy and earthy, but the somewhat negligible hop aroma was overpowered by the yeast which clearly is meant to be the focus of the beer's multifaceted character. The first taste reached my palate with a somewhat flowery, complex flavor, bringing with it additional aromas that only served to improve its initial impression on me. A second taste revealed a smooth, nicely-carbonated, and refreshing flavor that was perfectly textured to my preferences. I felt compelled to drink this beer slowly, because the spicy notes in the taste and aroma kept me constantly searching for descriptors, but it is certainly refreshing and drinkable.

4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

The beer poured a nice pale orange with a decent head that diminished to a ring and left some spotty lacing. The aroma was of sweet fruits with some yeast. The taste had a good sweetness to it with a great bit of orange. There was also a very nice yeast bite to it. The beer is rather light bodied and very refreshing. This is a very enjoyable saison.

Foret from Brasserie Dupont sprl