Chocolate Stout | The Fort Collins Brewery

Alströms:

Ratings: 1,065 |  Reviews: 480

2.5/5  rDev -27.5%

3.7/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Gotta be quick about this one.

I've never had a bad experience with this brew, and I'd definitely rate it as "better than average."

Pours almost completely black with a mocha head that fades to nearly nothing. Smells like dark chocolate and malt, which comes out in the taste as well. Well balanced. It has a good mouthfeel, but not as much as I'd like from a stout, especially if it's chocolate. Finishes clean, but leaves roasted coffee and malt flavors hanging around.

This is a warm, tasty beer for sure. For some reason I think it'd go really great with a mocha-esque dessert, like Tiramisou (is that a mocha dessert?) Also, S'mores, for some reason. Maybe it's the toastyness.

Definitely would buy this again. It might be one of my favorite beers from Fort Collins Brewery.

3.3/5  rDev -4.3%

Bottle to pint glass.

A: Pours about one finger of tan, toffee colored head. A dark, burnt black. Looks like a stout.

S: Deep notes of cocoa, milk chocolate, and also some really subtle roastier hints. Overall the aroma is on the sweeter side of things.

T: Cocoa dominates the taste, but the roastier side of the grains comes out near the finish. Hints of coffee and tobacco in the finish. Not much for hops, just enough to balance the sweetness and add a slight bitterness to the finish.

M: The mouthfeel is just a tad bit watery/thin right as the beer hits your tounge, but then it smoothes out, becoming richer and creamier in the finish.

O: Overall this is a good example of a straight forward, no frills, chococlate stout. At 5.3% it would make a good session beer if you wanted something dark and sweet.

3.23/5  rDev -6.4%

I scored a finger of head on an aggressive pour. Head is tan over a black body. In less than two minutes I am left with a ring that clings strongly to the glass.

Dark chocolate and malt are the first and strongest aromas apparent in this brew. Dark fruit does peek its head in when you look for it.

The first flavor is actually a mineral bite, then it transitions into you roasted malt and chocolate.

Carbonation is high on this guy. It bites the tongue upon sipping and helps the mineral taste make the beginning of the sip less pleasant than it could be. Once the bite from this 1-2 punch passes its a lot more drinkable, but it's too thin.

3.65/5  rDev +5.8%

A: Beautiful black liquid with a tan head about two fingers thick... medium lacing as the bubbles evenly diminish... this beer is living, the head dissipates with character..

S: Obvious chocolate, more like raw cocoa, pine, roasty malts mixed w alcohol...more complex than it seems at first.. hints of black currant and grape juice.

T. Pure stout at first, then the malts kick in and the "chocolate" flavor emerges. Lingers off with light alcohol bur on the back of the tongue. For 5.3% you can really taste the alcohol, it's not really masked. After a while the chocolate flavor become more of an aftertaste and it turns into a simple but nice stout. All the flavors combine to make a pretty straight-forward chocolate flavored stout.

MF: Nice smooth carbonation... The beer is thinner than I usually like in a stout. I don't mind this, im just spoiled by imperials.

O: Decent chocolate stout. I prefer a stronger one, like the Souther Tier Choklat or Rogue Double Chocolate. Again, there are so many outrageous ones out there that we tend to downplay the simpler ones. This is to the point.

4.17/5  rDev +20.9%

tone77 has managed to send me down an unexpected dark road on Thanksgiving. He dropped off a mess of bottles on our last trade and I am just getting caught up before his next anticipated trade.

It all got me to thinking about what is referred to as "getting some strange", but if you have not embraced the dark and split the black oak, then you may be unaware of what you are missing. Take a hint from the bottle: "A velvety smooth mouthfeel and impeccable flavor make this stout positively seductive. Subtle hop bitterness evens out the character of roasted barley and chocolate malt in our proven classic." Plus, the Incan (?) doll proffering said beer on the current label? Read you lima charlie, o&o. Black is beautiful and Tan is grand! Gimme!

My bartender buddy, Moe, used to say that I took my coffee like my women - hot & black and the sooner the better. Ah, yes. This beer poured fast and back and gave some serious mocha head before moving on to more important things, like the nose. It smelled like Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate and I was thinking of several special treats that I might like from a chocolate stout. Color was a dense deep-brown, not black, but what actually is solid black other than carbon? Mouthfeel was, indeed, velvety smooth, like Marvin Gaye on the turntable. Let's get it on! The lacing was thick and sticky and I was licking my moustache like the flavor saver it had become. The taste was of liquid dark chocolate, no sweet nonsense here. Man, this was cacao being ladled out by one of Montazuma's girls and I was lapping it up like it was going out of style! Finish left me spent and sleepy. Hey, who's going to clean up that mess?!? The sticky lacing left behind in the glass, I mean. I think that I may be compelled to buy a certain young lady a drink come Sunday. Yo, ya feel me?

3.75/5  rDev +8.7%