Kidd Lager | The Fort Collins Brewery

The Fort Collins Brewery
Colorado, United States
fortcollinsbrewery.com

Style: Schwarzbier

"A hint of smoked malt compliments the chocolate malt in this surprisingly light bodied Schwarzbier. Experience Kidd's intriguing aroma and complex flavor as you enjoy this remarkable style of beer."

Added by Beaver13 on 02-01-2004

2.75/5  rDev -25.9%

3.97/5  rDev +7%

I picked up a bottle of Fort Collins Brewing's Kidd Lager a few weeks ago for $1.72 at Toskey Sands Market. I've never seen this beer before and I needed another beer for mixed six pack and I decided to take a chance on it, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, it's a little cheesy looking but other than that it doesn't look bad. It poured a dark brown color that took on some ruby highlights when held to the light with a finger and a half worth of tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty lacing behind. This is a nice looking beer, the head could be a little better but other than that it looked fine.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness that had a slight molasses like aroma to it and it was followed by loads of malts that impart a nice roasted, caramel and grainy aroma with some nice chocolate aromas sticking out the most. I also get a slightly smokey aroma. This beer has a pretty good aroma with lots of nice chocolate aromas coming through.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by lots of roasted malt flavors that impart a roasty, grainy, and slight caramel like flavor with the chocolate aspect still sticking out the most. Up next comes a pretty light smokey flavor with a little more sweetness and a lower amount of bitterness with a grainy, roasted malt and chocolate like aftertaste. This is a pretty good tasting beer that was very true to style.

M- Smooth, crisp, clean, on the thicker side of being light bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty good and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and pretty good example of the style, it had all the aspects that I look for in the style with a nice and roasted flavor while still maintaining a light and drinkable body. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, clean, not filling and the taste did a good job at holding my attention, I could drink a few of these and it makes for a nice and sessionable beer to enjoy in the wintertime. What I liked the most about this beer was how true to style it was, from the taste to the aroma to the mouthfeel this was just what I would expect from a good Schwarzbier. What I liked the least about this beer was the appearance, it wasn't bad looking, but I thought the head could have been a little better. I would buy this beer again when looking for a Schwarzbier and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys the style. All in all I was happy with this beer, I was looking for a good Schwarzbier and this beer delivered. Good job guys, this was a good example of the style and I enjoyed drinking it, keep up the good work.

4.75/5  rDev +28%

4.25/5  rDev +14.6%

4.04/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured into a stange.

4.0 A: Black color. Two fingers of frothy tan head. Retention is good and plenty of lacing is left.

4.25 S: Decidedly grainy - this reminds me of gathering up the grains needed for my RIS. There's also a ton of chocolate, which reminds me of the mash of that same brew. Plenty of roastiness as well. Caramel and molasses to round this off.

4.0 T: Roasty foremost, but chocolatety enough to balance it out. Grainy with layers of caramel and the slightest hint of ash. Very tasty and every sip is as good as the last.

3.75 M: Lighter medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Lightly creamy and super smooth.

4.0 D: Really good beer. Solid all around. Pick it up.

3.5/5  rDev -5.7%