Rocky Mountain IPA | The Fort Collins Brewery

1.5/5  rDev -59.1%

1.5/5  rDev -59.1%

2.25/5  rDev -38.7%

2.32/5  rDev -36.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Not very good at all. Maybe I've been drinking too many good DIPAs, but I don't smell anything. Like an unscented candle. Taste is meh. Too much malt. Got on sale for $4.99 a sixer. Wonder why.

2.33/5  rDev -36.5%

Pours a clear and light amber color with a big fluffy yellow tinted head that fades to lacing. The smell seems off. This one is potential oxidized. Some floral notes but a lot more of a roasted lager character. Adequately carbonated, the mouth feel is medium bodied. The flavor is complex, but IMO not necessarily in a good way. I get a pungent soapy licorice over the roasted lager malt. Not getting it for me at all...pour.

2.4/5  rDev -34.6%

This beer pours an unspecial amber hue, and has a moderate ecru head. Smelling it, it seems to have a bit of pine and some caramel sweetness; not dissimilar to a faded SNPA. The first sip is honestly bewildering. My initial reaction is that this stuff must be old, and terrible. Subsequent quaffs do nothing to assauge that. The taste is sweetly caramelized with hints of peat moss and cypress; earthy in a borderline unpleasant way. Not good. The feel is okay, but overall the beer is not.

2.48/5  rDev -32.4%

Poured from a bottle into my Harpoon European style glass.

A: Nice golden amber color with a creamy off white one finger head. Not much lacing from the head.

S: Some pine floral citrus smell with a hint of malt. For me really there was not a heck of a lot of nose for an IPA, I was underwhelmed.

T: I tried this on a recommendation from Matt at Capone's and I must say this is the first beer that I really thought was below average. The taste was that of a muted IPA, not much hops at all. I did get some light citrus with some malt and maybe a hint of floral taste, but again really very muted. Maybe I had a bad bottle but there really wasn't much taste to me compared to all the other great IPAs I have been tasting lately.

M: Not a lot of alcohol in the mouth, so normally this should be very drinkable, but the taste kept my mouth wanting more.

D: For me, if all the bottles are like this one the drinkability is low. I really didn't even want a second one, and that is a rarity.

Overall, again very disappointed and maybe I got a bad bottle, but this beer to me was really below average for an IPA.

2.5/5  rDev -31.9%

Pours a light burnt orange color. Average size head for the style. Taste seems off- grassy notes up front but then I got a harsh metallic aftertaste that lingered for a while. Tried it with three hophead friends and all agreed it was barely above a drain pour. That aftertaste had to be washed out with a Bell's Two Hearted Ale.

2.55/5  rDev -30.5%

There was a rep from the Fort Collins Brewery in the beer section who sold me on this and I can't help but feel deceived. It's not that it was a bad beer, I actually liked it, its just that it doesn't really seem to be an IPA. It doesn't look like an IPA, it barely smells like an IPA, and it certainly doesn't taste like an IPA. It wasn't even that it was too balanced, that would have been ok, the malt just dominates here and the hops are really muted. I just didn't find this to be a good representation of the style, maybe I got a bad batch, I don't know.

2.68/5  rDev -27%

appearance: pale amber in color with no sediment. foamy white which dissipates and leaves a moderate amount of lacing.

smell: mild floral hop aroma

taste,mouthfell,and drinkability. tastes like a weak ipa. drinks more like an amber ale. mouthfeel is thin. not that much body. very average beer. not good not bad.

2.69/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

From a 12 oz. bottle, poured into a pint glass. The Rocky Mountain IPA pours a light amber/deep golden in color. Half an inch of soapy off white foam settles quickly to, and maintains, a surface cap, throwing off bits of lacing here and there.

Smell is mostly gooey malts, with some woody hops participating after some agitation. Appearing almost sour at times, the hops/malts are not my favorite. Orangey malts and cascade hops dominate the show.

Flavor follows the nose with rancid citrus and a bit of spice. Ignoring the other details for me, the brew does offer a decent feel, but in the end the drinkability is limited by the abundance of hop oils and residual malts which clash all the way home.

2.69/5  rDev -26.7%

Pours a deep translucent amber, with a good 3/4" of foam that doesn't recede too quickly. When it finally dissipates, it leaves a lacking layer of bubbles on top of the brew, but a thick, clingy foam down the sides of my glass. Looks pretty good.

Aroma is strongly reminiscent of mediocre homebrew, with a sharp hop character and surprising alcohol odor that completely dominate everything else. Just a vague hint of sweet, bready malt lies underneath. Not a huge fan, I've made brews that smelled better.

If the brew hits the tip of the tongue just right, you can get a nice upfront sweetness before the hop bitterness appears. The bitterness is not as pronounced as the aroma might indicate; it's there, but it's almost more APA with an attitude than what I would normally call an American IPA. It's not bad, but neither is it great. There is a distinctly astringent, bitter aftertaste that forms a few seconds after swallowing.

Mouthfeel is fairly weak, thin and watery. I've had worse but was expecting better.

Drinkability is fairly low, mainly due to the increasingly unpleasant aftertaste. After I've had a couple of these I want to rinse my mouth out with water and switch to iced tea.

2.7/5  rDev -26.4%

Dirty looking auburn tone. Looks more like a brown ale. Creamy dirty white head. Decent retention and lacing. Kind of a weird aroma for an IPA. Cookie dough malt base aromas with slight sprinklings of spicy hoppiness. On the palate, I notice a substantial bready and doughy malt base. The hops....well, where are the hops? Not a lot to report on regarding the hops. Some cinnamon like spiciness that might allude to some hopping. But otherwise, this beer lacks hop flavor and bitterness. Two things critical to an IPA. The bottle says they ventured into unfamiliar territory in order to create this IPA. Word of advice: Stay out of unfamiliar territory.

Rocky Mountain IPA from The Fort Collins Brewery