Rocky Mountain IPA | The Fort Collins Brewery

Style: American IPA

Added by rowew on 06-07-2007

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

4.17/5  rDev +13.6%

A: Pours a clear amber with a compact off-white head.

S: Aromas of lemon, grapefruit, bitter orange, pine, and biscuits are present on the nose.

T: The entry is predictably hoppy, revealing notes of bitter orange, mandarin orange, grapefruit, lemon, pine, and sage underscored by caramel and biscuits. The finish is bitter and hoppy with citrus, pine, and biscuit flavors.

M: Medium-bodied, dry, firm, and chewy. Carbonation is crisp, yet expressive. Very drinkable for the style.

O: This is a really solid American IPA that impresses me more and more as I get closer to finishing the glass. Compared to many other takes on the style, Rocky Mountain IPA is very clean, balanced, and floral, but still displays a considerable depth of flavor. I can definitely see myself coming back to this one.

3.62/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours amber with a slight white head. A sweet and citric aroma. Flavor is a somewhat citric and floral and with a strong malt presencet, medium level bitterness here. Medium bodied and a syrupy creaminess to this that benefits greatly from the carbonation. Overall, I like this beer but not a session beer by any means. One and done. Maybe two if the mood really strikes.

3.58/5  rDev -2.5%

Rocky Mountain IPA is an attractive brew that has a nice copper hued medium amber color to it. The head is on the whiter end of beige and fades fairly quickly but leaves some nice lacing.

The aroma is classic American IPA with a nice floral citrus character, as well as a bit of earthy spice. Digging deeper I get some nice caramel and toasted malt like aromas. Well done, but pretty standard.

The flavor is definitely on the tame side for a beer of this style. I get some citrusy and floral hops that are mingled in with the malts, but they seem pretty subdued. The bitterness is well placed though and this is a very balanced brew.

The mouthfeel is dead on with a medium body and a good amount of carbonation. The beer finishes cleanly with just a bit of sticky hop bitterness in the finish.

This is the first beer I have tried from FCB and I have to say that it did nothing to disappoint me. It was clean and well made with some nice flavors. It was not what I usually look for in this style, but it was very drinkable and balanced. It actually reminded me a lot of Harpoon IPA, a beer that I enjoy, but do not generally seek out.

3.7/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12 oz brown bottle to pint glass.

A - The beer pours a translucent amber color with a 1/2 finger bubbly white head with decent retention though little lacing.

S - The aroma is that of toasted malts, some caramel, and an earthy hop character.

T/M - A nice hop flavor immediately on the palette: earthy pine and herbal in nature with a hint of mint and citrus fruit. A decent malt character wit the toasted malt blends well the medium bitterness. A fairly dry finish that leaves a mild hop bitterness on the tongue.

D - Fairly drinkable.

Overall, this is a pretty decent beer though I think there are several other breweries in Fort Collins, CO that do a better job with the IPA. Still this isn't a bad beer, just wouldn't be near the top of my list for choices.

Reviewed on: 02-14-2011 14:34:47

3.83/5  rDev +4.4%

Immediately on the nose I get a blast of fresh pressed tangerine juice. I also get this background malty note that smells like those Sweet Rolls that you buy at the grocery store and heat up for dinner. The two scents combined make for a nice melody of aroma.

This really is a nice looking IPA. It's a nice medium, pleasing amber color topped by a light tan head that is comprised of both very large and medium sized bubbles supported by plenty of visible carbonation bubbles . Lacing is amazing.

Rocky Mountain IPA is a bit nutty in taste, like toasted nuts are the first thing I get. Mid palate and finish is a nice light citrus flavor. I would akin it to as if you just ate a tangerine and the after-taste is what this is like. Bitterness seems low for an IPA, but the beer is still balanced on the hoppy side. I'm surprised the malt shines through as much as it does.

A bit lighter in body than I'm used to in an IPA, but it's a nice change of pace. Carbonation is on the low to nonexistent side. It's defiantly there, but despite the visible bubbles, this is VERY lowly carbonated. Finishes a tad dry. You wouldn't think this combination would work for an IPA, but I like it, it's different, and pleasing to see a change of pace.

Easy drinking to top it off. It is refreshing, flavorful and "aroma-ful", and it also feels quite new. I really enjoyed it.

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%