Red Banshee Red Alt Ale | The Fort Collins Brewery

The Fort Collins Brewery
Colorado, United States
fortcollinsbrewery.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Formerly called Retro Red.

Added by jmkratt on 02-12-2011

2.5/5  rDev -26.7%

3.75/5  rDev +10%

2.61/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Appearance was actually the best thing about this brew. It poured a nice dark ruby color with an off white head that dissipated but left a lot of lacing.

Aroma was strong in spices followed by malty sweetness and some biscuit notes. Still, the spice dominated.

Taste is where this brew goes far off the mark. Better beers exhibit a sense of balance. This beer doesn't. The spice nearly overwhelms everything else. I thought that it might get better as it warmed but the spice simply got more intense. I got some malty sweetness trying to cut through the spice but it was pure sweetness rather than a deeper toffee type of sweetness and it was a bad combination.

Mouthfeel: Someone else described the finish as cough syrup. I was looking for a good descriptor and this fits very nicely.

Overall: I rarely dump a beer. Hell, my neighbor handed me a Coors Light recently and I managed to get it down. I only got about a third of the way though this one before it went down the sink. It just didn't have any balance or complexity at all and the overly spicy character doesn't work.

3.51/5  rDev +2.9%

First off let me state that in my early days of craft beer drinking amber ales were my preferred style. That being said, I like to take a break from massive hops and enjoy these sweet light ales.

The Red banshee was pretty typical for the style, I would have liked a little more pop on the carbonation.

Smell was good with a little sweet brown sugar and a soft toffee.

Taste followed suit sweet and smooth. There was a smoky almost coffee taste, think a Sumatran coffee.

This was an enjoyable beer, and in a mixed sixer it broke up a chain of IPAs nicely.

3.5/5  rDev +2.6%