Mississippi Mud Black & Tan | Mississippi Brewing Co.

Mississippi Mud Black & TanMississippi Mud Black & Tan

Mississippi Brewing Co.
New York, United States

Style: Black & Tan

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 10-15-2001

Ratings: 1,176 |  Reviews: 442
2.96/5  rDev -3.9%

A: Pours a crystal clear dark amber in color with some lighter amber colors when held up to the light. The beer has a finger tall light beige head that quickly reduces to a thin film covering the entire surface of the beer with a small patch of thicker bubbles and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate to significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: The aroma of this beer is rather malty with some lighter notes of brown sugar and molasses sweetness.

T: This beer has flavors of roasted malts, nuttiness, and some sweetness from maple syrup/molasses. Just a touch too sweet for my tastes but there is just a very light hint of smokiness.

M: On the lighter side of medium bodied with heavy amounts of carbonation. So much carbonation it is almost prickly.

O: This beer is nothing special but it is certainly not offensive either. The last time I had this beer, I was still an undergrad and thought this was quality craft beer - how much the world has changed in the last 20 years, especially in my appreciation of good craft beers. Easy to drink but not something I really want to have more than one during a session. Not sure I will get this one again but it was a nice walk down memory lane.

3.2/5  rDev +3.9%

Unique 1 quart (946ml) glass jug that looks like a ceramic hooch moonshiners bottle.

A: Pours brown with amber highlights under a half-inch thick light tan/off-white head which fades to a thin cap and yields semi-rings and spots of lace.

N: Clearly porter-esque with roasted malts, earthy, faint vanilla, caramel. Not getting much of the pilsner component aside from some mild citrus notes.

T: The roasted malts are mild with some crispness from the pilsner, though the two components do not meld well together. Crackery malts.

M: Semi-moderate body and semi-medium carbonation. Slightly thin and watery. Finishes with a mildly roasted malt.

O: I'd much rather make my own black and tan, but this was interesting and a sure bargain when you consider the price per ounce.

2.25/5  rDev -26.9%

When the sun goes down, the tide goes out,
The people gather 'round and they all begin to shout,
"Hey! Hey! Uncle Dud,
It's a treat to beat your feet on the Mississippi Mud,
It's a treat to beat your feet on the Mississippi Mud"

--James Cavanaugh and Harry Barris

I've seen these 'crocks' of Mississippi Mud in stores for years, but was never intrigued enough to buy one. When I spotted this smaller, less expensive version I figured I'd give it a shot. I'm a little disappointed that it's a black & tan though. Shouldn't a beer called Mississippi Mud be a thick, black, high-ABV American double stout?

Flawless dark orange-darkest bronze when backlit with morning sun. Unfortunately, it looks nothing at all like Mississippi mud. The toasted ecru head was large initially, but fell without fanfare to a simple, covering film and left the glass completely devoid of lace.

MM is a bit of an oddity in the sense that it isn't a combination of a stout and a pale ale, but a combination of a porter and a pilsener. It smells like neither, but rather like a weakly aromatic dark lager. There isn't much to go on, though I do pick up some faint cocoa notes. So far... not impressed.

After drinking, I'm still not impressed. Could this beer be any more wimpy, both in terms of flavor and mouthfeel? It tastes like a poor-quality dark lager that has been cut with water. What flavor is present tastes artificial, like dark caramel extract was added. A lousy porter (I'm guessing) and a lousy pilsener (I'm guessing), when mixed, can only result in a lousy (I know for a fact) black & tan.

There's nothing at all here that resembles good beer. I can't get over the fact that it tastes artificially-flavored. It doesn't help that there's a metallic, almost chemical aspect to the finish (maybe the brewers add a splash of Mississippi River water for authenticity). It's a little sour as well, which doesn't help. Even this small 'crock' will be a chore to get through. I have no idea about the ABV, but it doesn't drink very high at all. About 5.0%, I'd say.

The mouthfeel is as un-mud-like as possible. This is the lightest, thinnest version of the style that I've had (all three of them) and has no mouthfillingness whatsoever. The carbonation is finely bubbled and hangs on until the end, but it can't possibly save the mouthfeel from its pathetic self.

I had a feeling that I wasn't missing much each time I thought about grabbing a Mississippi Mud and didn't. It's a forgettable beer that continues to be brewed and sold only because of the novelty and distinctiveness of its packaging. I wish now that I'd been content to remain curious.

3.5/5  rDev +13.6%

3.06/5  rDev -0.6%

Review from notes.

A: Big fan of the jug. Pours a clear brown with a large off-white head that has decent retention and spotty lacing.

S: Some lager yeast, roast malt, and a bit of caramel and coffee.

T: Similar to the aroma with lager yeast flavor, roasted malt, chocolate, caramel, coffee, and some grainy malt.

M: Crisp, light to medium bodied with medium carbonation.

O: Not as good as I remember it from having it years ago, but that doesn't really surprise me. Not bad, fun to carry around and drink.

2.51/5  rDev -18.5%

What am I doing with this one after all these years. I actually stumbled upon this the other day and had to grab it just for old times. Big jug was served cold and poured into a pint glass.

The pour was decent, light thin brown in color with a minimal off white head emerging. Small retention left behinf little in the way of side lacing and a small amount of carbonation coming up.

The aroma was light, roasted malt maybe hidden way underneath the light grain and basic dull macro smell. Not much complexity here and just way too light overall. Same for the flavor, Nothing overwhelming me with a light cereal grain and a small caramel sweetness, way too carbonated with a thin feel, it was drinkable, but forgettable.

Overall I think my memories are fonder then what this really was, Not at all as good as I remember, but ehh, was worth it for the memories.

3.16/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.47/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.37/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A – Light cherry wood to deep amber ice-tea. Nice off-white head with nice retention and lace.

S – Touch of tang, with a light smokey malt and a caramel-like sweetness.

T – Opens with a sour twang similar to what opened the nose. The beer has a brown ale mouthfeel with a porter-like profile. Dark roasted malt lends a nice touch of smoke and a dry, bitter dark chocolate. A brown sugar sweetness keeps things in check. The finish has a really interesting black-tea element to it.

M – Nice carbonation. A light, but not watery, body lends a nice degree of drinkability.

3.53/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a Walter Payton shaker pint glass.

Possibly the best bottle presentation available on the market, hands down. From within, this stuff pours a clear light-ruby-brown topped by over a finger of light tan foam. The nose comprises toffee, very light roasted malts, white bread, light wheat, and a touch of watered-down coffee. The taste re-examines these elements and adds in a touch of vague fruitiness (mostly akin to honeydew and mandarin orange, I think) in a streak, much like the white bit of Rogue's hair (yeah, I just went all comic book nerd on ya...). It's unexpected, but not really all that off-putting somehow. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a sorta watery feel. Overall, a nice brew, nothing extremely special, but very drinkable. Probably one of the best pre-mixed black and tans on the market (in, as I've said before, the best packaging), however much that really says...

3.25/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.8/5  rDev -9.1%

You have to love the novelty bottle, hell I bet these things sell themselves just because of the bottle. Well, I know that couldn't have called it New York Mud, but c'mon who wants to drink Mississippi Mud from Utica, New York, hold on who really wants to drink Mississippi Mud. Well, hey I bought into it, now let's see what this beer is made of. It pours a deep dark ruby tint, and the head is filled with very large bubbles and it is cream and color. Head is sticking around for at least awhile, and the lace is clinging to the sides of my glass. The aroma is very faint, I can barely detect some grainines along with somekind of malt thrown in to give off a sweet aroma. No hops to be sniffed here, oh well let's see how it tastes. Very smooth and on the lighter side, but it brings a fruit tone in the finish that I find very pleasant. This is nothing exceptional, but I find it pretty drinkable. A bitterness along with a semi sour aftertaste is left, but I don't think it's a mistake, somebody tried to make it taste like that. Very light body and thin in the mouth, definitely doesn't have the texture of a real porter mixed anywhere in there. I could drink a couple of these and find myself admiring the bottles, but I probably will never buy this beer again. There are too many outstanding beers in the world, to settle for mediocrity.

3.74/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The Mississippi Mud is an interesting combination of beer....porter and pilsner. The porter provides roast, peat and mild dark chocolate. The pilsner provides grassy like hops and bitterness. Put them together and you have a decent balanced beer that is easy drinking and sessionable. This beer is probably better drank in the cooler spring, fall and winter days. Additionally this beer would go well with spicier foods. Overall a good beer and worth a try.

3.12/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

2.73/5  rDev -11.4%

Pours reddish brown with a head that is sizable, but quickly descends to a thin cover.

The smell is of some sweet grain - not much aroma - nothing too unpleasant.

The taste is of some sweet malt, some graininess. Soda-pop like fizzle to it. A steel-like aftertaste. Rather bland. Some sour and metal in the aftertaste.

The body is weak. Badly misnamed.

In all of it's blandness, there is something towards drinkable in it - might be the carbonation. Anyway, the lable says a "robust porter" - no robustness here, and a "continental pilsner"...don't know - didn't quite catch that either - maybe they mean as far as carbonation. Had this a while back after having other beers - figured I would try it again on a fresh palate. Nope. Not for me - not much too it - too much like spiked, coca-cola mixed with metal and some sourmix with only hints of being a "beer".

2.19/5  rDev -28.9%

I used to sample this quite a bit in the early days of my beery investigations...the quirky bottle (quart-sized moonshine jug, this time), the cool label and graphics, and perhaps I was new to the various styles available, although I'd gotten my feet wet enough with some stouts...I try it again, now, with much more beer experience behind me...
Appearance: dark violet, nearly black color, with a big, bubbly, creamy, frothy white (?) head.
Aroma: nullish, and nottish, full of nothing but nothing, creamy, maybe, but offering nothing else...soft and sweet
Taste...rather light, and insipid...blah...light, slightly fruity, but far too light..bland and brittle, nothing to it...
I have to admit my resistance and reluctance towards the "black and tan" style. and this particular brew is doing nothing to change that.I like my stouts STOUT, dammit!, and possessing some flavor, and this showed very little...it was a chore to finish this bottle, no joy at all! Far too light in body, texture, flavor, everything!
Will not return to this one again!

1.5/5  rDev -51.3%

3.18/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours a clear brown color. 1/5 inch head of an off-white color. Good retention and slight lacing. Smells of pale malt, slight hop, yeast, and slight adjunct. Much stronger in smell of a pilsner not the porter. Fits the style of a Black & Tan. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp with an average carbonation level. Tastes of yeast, pale malt, slight roasted malt, some grain, and slight adjunct. Overall, better body and flavor than aroma, but it would be vastly improved with a better quality pilsner as the 'tan'.

2.91/5  rDev -5.5%

12/09/04- Purchased at the local Trader Joes in San Mateo.

Appearance- Pours a semi dark brown with a huge head and pretty nice lacing. Nice moonshine jug! I can join me's a jugband now!! YEEEHAW!!

Smell- Nothing fantastic. A bit of roasted malts and that's about it. Not a real good scent.

Taste- Roasted malts, a bit of chocolate swirling around and some nasty coors light tasting stuff. I guess that's the tan part. YUK!

Mouthfeel- Pretty smooth and admittedly easy to swallow. Very low carb level.

Drinkability- That funky "tan" taste ruins it for me. Would have been semi decent if they had used a good lager for the tan part. Now it's just a below average beer.

1.5/5  rDev -51.3%

3.25/5  rDev +5.5%

Mississippi Mud Black & Tan from Mississippi Brewing Co.