Mississippi Mud Black & Tan | Mississippi Brewing Co.

Mississippi Mud Black & TanMississippi Mud Black & Tan

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 10-15-2001

View: Beers
Ratings: 1,219 |  Reviews: 454
2.09/5  rDev -33.9%

The bottle's a bit of a turn off for me, with a screw-top cap and the look of a small whisky jug. Makes me think of trailer parks; should I blow on the bottle when it's empty? Upside: 32 oz. of beer :)

Serious head on the pour! Settles fairly quick into an admirable eggshell-white with strong lacing effects. I half expected there to be some gimmick allowing the advertised porter/pilsner blend to separate in the pour, but no - beer is a uniform brown-red, clear with thin carbonation.

Aroma is odd. You can detect the adjuncts in it (maybe from the pilsner?). hits of corn, scant hops, some chocolate (porter?).

Wow. What a bland-tasting beer. None of the character of a Guinness & Bass/Harp Black & Tan. This is uniformly blah. Thin mouthfeel with little taste of anything on the tongue. This is inoffensive to the point of being invisible. Allowing it to warm a bit doesn't seem to help, but it does bring out barely-there notes of chocolate and almond. Thanks but no thanks.

2.83/5  rDev -10.4%

Served in a giant brown jug. I had high expectations

App: Good head atop a very dark brown/almost black liquid.

Smell: Deep chocolate scent with fruity undertones.

Taste: On the "tan" end of black and tan. The taste is clean and slightly sour on the finish. The chocolate makes its reappearance only in the aftertaste.

The mouthfeel was also on the tan side. Kind of thin. The drinkability was good enough to put away a jug.

3.31/5  rDev +4.7%

Appearance - center-poured into a pint glass a clear reddish amber. 2 fingers of pocky head, drifts down to a covering. Pleasant enough to observe. Some stray random lacing.

Aroma - some light malt, soft coffee smell, hint of raisins. Aromas hold up well as the head recedes but don't progress beyond 'light' in strength.

Taste - light flavor profile, but evidence of the pils occurs up front. Slightly sweet, leading into some caramel and malt flavors. Some coffee notes try to develop on the swallow along with some raisiny sweetness, but never really gets there until it warms up a little. Some nice roastiness on the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - thin, with average carbonation. A light roasted coffee bean residue in the mouth, but otherwise relatively clean. For a porter/pils blend, I'd say this one's good per the style.

Drinkability - an enjoyable beer. Nothing to search for at length, but easy to drink.

2.98/5  rDev -5.7%

Better than I expected. Very thin and somewhat watery, but has a nice, porter-like flavor. It's a little weak, but pleasant. The macro background doesn't detract, and it's actually quite refreshing. Much better than Yeungling's version of the style, IMO.(It is certainly one of the coolest bottles, also).

2.23/5  rDev -29.4%

This beer was not very good. It had a decent appearance but the smell was a bit rancid. The taste was not appealing either. It had a very different and strange taste that I am not used to. It tasted like the malt was stale and it also tasted like it may have been skunked. Not a very good beer. It comes in a cool bottle that is great to hold change in.

2.45/5  rDev -22.5%

The first thing about this beer is the cool bottle, it's the reason I purchased it. I looks like an old pottery jug. The pour was a lighter copper-red tone. Came out with a good half inch head that quickly dissapated to a thin lace that stuck to the glass throughout the drink. The smell was a very light mix of floral and malt. The taste started very watery, dare I say almost macro watery, and continued that way until a light hop and malt kick at the finish. A very clean drinking beer that would make a great lawnmower beer, but that's the best I can say for it.

2.37/5  rDev -25%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

This beer smells awful! It reminded me of the so-called "macro swill" that everyone drinks. Luckily it tasted better than it smelled, but it still doesn't taste great. I taste some hops towards the end of this one, but I can't place most of the other tastes. Overall, it reminds me more of the "tan" than the "black" in black and tan. I need to learn to stick to actual black and tans instead of trying to simulate it with this type of mixture beer.

Admit it--you bought it for the bottle! I know I did.

1.86/5  rDev -41.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

The bottle was kind of cool, in a hickish way, so I decided to give it a try. The appearance was medium brown in color, much lighter than I thought it would be. There was a moderate head and good lacing. The body of this beer seems to be missing though. Tastes like a bad homebrew to me. Too sweet and thin up front with no bakbone. Hops are little noticed if at all. Maybe some earthy flavors arise but this is not a good beer. I'm not wasting my time with this stuff ever again.

1.9/5  rDev -39.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Pours a color that as nothing to do with Mississippi Mud. I live near the Mississippi. This stuff has the appearance of flat Coke. Smells vaguely like a porter, pretty weak. A little hint of chocolate and malt. Tastes like soda water. Tastes of chemicals and fizzy carbonation. Not much of a beer. Not worth buying.

2.69/5  rDev -14.9%

1 Quart Jug

Apperance: Pours a "Sprite" like head with minimal to no retention. The head was lame. The color is brown, but cranberry red up to the light. A very nice coloring on this beer.

Nose: A tiny bit hopy, with chocolate and alcohol. Maybe a tiny finsih of lime.

Taste: The taste is hopy and a little finish of chocolate. It tastes a lot like it smells. Alchohol is a taste I got right in the middle.

Notes; very cool jug. Awsome marketing for this brew. I'll be honest with you, the only reason I bought this was because of what it looked like. I was very disapointed for what this brew was supposed to be.

3.97/5  rDev +25.6%

The beer pours a brown color with a thin white lace head. The aroma is good. It has a creamy crystal malt scent that is really quite nice. The taste is good. It boasts of pale and crystal malts. It has a nice sweet malt palate that goes down easy and satisfies. This is a pretty damn good beer for being served up in a glass jug. The mouthfeel is good. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This beer surprised me. I wasn't expecting much, but what I got was a fine black and tan. It drinks well.

2.46/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear dark brown with a massive cream-colored head that slowly shrinks to a lumpy layer. The smell is faint but consists of light malts with grassy notes and hints of alcohol. The taste is a tad of chocolate, malt, light hops, and a touch of sweetness. This is an extremely light bodied brew for what it's supposed to be. Definitely not great and a few notches below good. Cheers anyways!

2.21/5  rDev -30.1%

This is a cola colored brew, with a bubbly white head topping it off. Not much smell, malty. This tastes like a clean lagered brew, with the traditional black and tan taste. This one failed to impress me much, but the bottle is pretty cool. Thats why most people would probably try this, not for a stellar tasting brew.

2.97/5  rDev -6%

I have always had a soft spot for the Mississippi Mud black and tan. Unfortunately for the Mississippi Brewing Co., it has nothing to do with the quality of the beer. History, in this case, influenced my decision to buy this beer again. I have many positive memories with this brew - particularly long nights of Mud and Mario Party with my friend Daniel. So, I was very excited to pick up a four pack of jugs. Really, the jug is the best part of this beer. I could probably drink a few of these and hardly notice. This is because the beer, which calls itself a 'black and tan', is actually a strange flavored amber. It pours into the glass and you wonder for a minute: which beer from my fridge did I just poor? Was it an ale? Was it an amber? But alas, you come to the conclusion that you did, in fact, pour yourself a 'black and tan' beer and got nothing of the sort. The head bubbled up nicely, but for a short duration. I took a drink and imagined the perfect blend of ale and stout - and only in my imagination would this occur. The taste is that of a medium bodied red beer. I have no problem drinking these; its not an offensive beer by any means. In fact, I polished off the four without much whincing.

2.58/5  rDev -18.4%

My wife picked me up the big jusg of this brew cuzz she liked the jug-like bottle a few weeks agoe and I never reviewed it because it was quite forgettable.Pour is decent a reddish brown color with not much head to it,aroma is very grainy and malty but not much there.I also got a metallic taste but not much just a slight metallic tinge in the finish,some slight caramel malt taste but pretty bland.A beer in a gimmick bottle quite a concept,that how you can sell really bad beer.

3.16/5  rDev 0%

Two big words for this one... METALIC AFTERTASTE!!! I am glad to see that I was not the only one to get the metalic aftertaste/smell. At first, I thought it was the glass, but now I know differently. It had a very nice appearance to it, especially the super thick head. The head lasted a few minutes and then died down to a laceing. If it wasn't for the metal taste/smell, it would have gotten a way better review. Sure, I like metal, but musically, not taste. Other than that, it was an above average atempt at a black and tan. Get rid of the metal and watch the ratings soar!

2.12/5  rDev -32.9%

Aroma: A minor hint of malt, but mostly I’m getting an alcohol smell.
Appearance: Black which shows a clear ruby when backlit. Had a creamy tan head that left a little bit of lacing.
Flavor: Malty, but has a metallic aftertaste. Basically has a porter profile.
Mouthfeel: Light-Medium, with an alcohol/carbonation prickle.
Overall Impression: Cool bottle, but I can’t reuse it for homebrew (twist top). I expected a thicker, more intense flavor. This is basically a thin slightly off porter. I would look at the water source or the cleaning of the metal in the brewing system. That, or a re-evaluation of the hops.

2.82/5  rDev -10.8%

I gave this beer .5 points for Appearance because of the moonshine-style jug. It pours a "muddy" brown with a foamy tan head. There's not much in the aroma department, besides fresh bread dough and mild hop. The lightly smoky body is fairly heavy, but not as thick as it appears. It's a bit grainy and mealy, though still quite fluid. The mildly applied hops have a lime-like flavor, but gets lost as the malt sweetens and overwhelms.

3.13/5  rDev -0.9%

Appearance – Clear, medium brown body looks like a mix of dark and light colored ales. The head was very nice. Full, tan, and lots of lacing.

Smell – There’s the standard American grain aroma complimented with roasted malts. The malts though are kind of faint. I also couldn’t find any sweetness in there.

Taste – Well, I think I like the “black” better than the “tan.” The dark flavors aren't bad. The burnt malt, which tastes like a light dark ale, has a chocolaty sweetness to it. The “premium beer” flavor though is typical macro piss.

Mouthfeel – Lightly carbonated and kind of creamy and actually quite smooth. Not bad.

Drinkability – This tastes like a good American attempt at a dark lager.

Comments – This came in a moonshine-type of jug that you’d find down South in a backyard still. It’s quite a sight. If you collect bottles you HAVE to go out and buy one of these.

This beer looked good...
Dark black with alot of foamy lite tan head...
Aroma...hmmm...how to describe it...dank...smelled like old beer on a fraternity floor for 7 days in the sun...
Taste...well thank god the aroma is not what it tasted like...the taste was very watery...a hint of coffee flavor and an end bitterness..but extremely light...more pure watery flavor
Mouthfeel...watery...see taste...
If I want a beer to simply look at..maybe I'd get this...If I wanted a beer to drink...I would never buy this again

2.66/5  rDev -15.8%

The most interesting this about this beer is the bottle. The pour yielded a huge off white head that filled my 500ml pilsner glass to the top. Promising. The odor is sweet and somewhat pungent. Normally I am immediately turned off by a big pungent smell, but here its mild so I proceed. To expect a world class beer here would be to set oneself up for certain disappointment. Obviously this is not a world class beer. What this beer represents is a relatively inexpensive alternative to the common dark swill. The taste is subtle and smooth and the mouthfeel is more watery than I would like, but it is definitely drinkable. It has a fair balance between a pleasant sweetness and light roasted flavor. As far as it being the combination of a "Robust english porter and a continental pilsner' as so dictated on the bottle, I think they are at least somewhat accurate. It is definitely the unique combination of a pilsner (a light light pilsner Urquell) and a porter (NOT robust), but it is nothing to write home about. It is however strangely enough, it is growing on me as it warms up.

2.19/5  rDev -30.7%

I used to sample this quite a bit in the early days of my beery investigations...the quirky bottle (quart-sized moonshine jug, this time), the cool label and graphics, and perhaps I was new to the various styles available, although I'd gotten my feet wet enough with some stouts...I try it again, now, with much more beer experience behind me...
Appearance: dark violet, nearly black color, with a big, bubbly, creamy, frothy white (?) head.
Aroma: nullish, and nottish, full of nothing but nothing, creamy, maybe, but offering nothing else...soft and sweet
Taste...rather light, and insipid...blah...light, slightly fruity, but far too light..bland and brittle, nothing to it...
I have to admit my resistance and reluctance towards the "black and tan" style. and this particular brew is doing nothing to change that.I like my stouts STOUT, dammit!, and possessing some flavor, and this showed very little...it was a chore to finish this bottle, no joy at all! Far too light in body, texture, flavor, everything!
Will not return to this one again!

2.95/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

I bought the one-quart bottle just to give this brew a try. The bottle is in the shape of a ceramic jug with a nicely done shrink-wrap label.
The beer is a light brown color with more clarity than I expected and a thin white head. Aroma is pleasingly of roasted malts. There’s a fruity sweetness up front, and a very light hopiness. Overall, I’d describe this beer as watery and uninspiring….another gimmick beer. It’s got a cool bottle going for it, but not much else.

3.69/5  rDev +16.8%

I'm not sure exactly why this beer is so popular in southern New Jersey (I think it's the packaging), but after seeing it time and time again in liquor store coolers I thought I'd give it a try. It pours a clear mahogany body that's topped by a short but creamy tan head. The head retention is only fair, and it drops shortly to a thin collar and whispy surface covering but leaves some lace initially. Fruitiness is prevelent in the nose, backed up by a touch of lightly caramel and cocoa-tinged malt. There's not alot going on, but it's actually quite nice and very welcoming. The body is light and it's crisp on the tongue. In the flavor, assorted fruits (apple, grape, orange, berry) and chocolate/cocoa-tinged malt combine in a mildly sweet cornicopia of drinkability. There's no noticeable hop flavor present, and the bitterness plays only a supporting role. It finishes with a flourish of fruit followed by a soft note of cocoa, and then dries out with a very mild note of alcohol and a touch of hop bitterness. Although it's very simplistic, it is actually quite quaffable. It has more character that most mainstream American lagers and makes a good crossover beer for the uninitiated.

2.81/5  rDev -11.1%

Yupper, gotta like the bottle at least. A decent mahogany colour with a very impressive choppy foamy tan head. Nose is of sweet, sweet malt, some toffee and caramel. Not a hint of hops to be found. Flavour of sugary sweet malt and carmelized sugar, very watery for a black and tan. I like the alligator for the logo though.

Mississippi Mud Black & Tan from Mississippi Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 3.16 out of 5 with 1,219 ratings