Mississippi Mud Black & Tan | Mississippi Brewing Co.

Mississippi Mud Black & TanMississippi Mud Black & Tan

Mississippi Brewing Co.
New York, United States

Style: Black & Tan

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 10-15-2001

firstprev| 1126-1150 | 1151-1175 | 1176-1200  | next → last
Ratings: 1,187 |  Reviews: 447
3.7/5  rDev +20.1%

The idea of a black & tan in a bottle is absurd to say the least. If you are expecting the taste of an English B&T then you will be dissapointed. I found this a drinkable and good beer. Not a great beer mind you but still very good especially for an american beer. The maltiness is on the very light side. almost non existinet. The hops are mild also. A creamy texture with a good taste. Also a very large beer in a unigue bottle. I have tried this in both sizes and I find the larger bottle has a better flavour than the smaller bottles.

3.23/5  rDev +4.9%

The first thing that grabbed me was the catchy bottle. Plus I happen to like on occasion a B/T. It has a clear incandesant dark red color when poured, a slight head, beige/cream in color, the lace matches. The aroma has light hits of caramel and malt. The flavor, malt in the beginning, and slightly sweet. Not very carbonated. Drinkable. When you are in the mood for that type of brew.

3.12/5  rDev +1.3%

ruby/garnet in color...very pretty...but no head and no lace and hardly any carbonation....yikes! odd buttery aroma, a touch of floral hops. tastes ok....pilsener and porter characteristics wavering back and forth...no bitterness...medium to light in body and a pretty smooth mouthfeel...nothing stands out and i'm guessing that's the way it's supposed to be. pretty drinkable because it's unoffending. IMO this is a gimmick beer. it comes in a pretty cool one quart jug that makes a pretty sweet decoration. this concoction would be a good crossover brew, but i prefer my black and tans properly poured on tap with guinness and bass.

2.76/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Clear shiny brown color. Big fizzy beige head, fades fast. Not much noticable on the smell, faint carmel sweetness barely shows itself. Taste is nothing more than average, some sweetness, but no body. Fairly thin, and mine seemed very highly carbonated. Sweet finish, matched with carbonation made it almost soda like. More pilsener tasting than porter tasting. Cool bottle, looks like an old moon shine jug, with an alligator on the front. Big carbonation burbs haunt me.........

2.58/5  rDev -16.2%

The beer pours a clear incandesant dark ruby color, the head is modest, beige, the lace wraithish. Nose is malt, light hits of caramel. Front is malt, a tad sweet, the top thin, the finish is shilpit, minimal carbonation, nebishly hopped. Drinkable, and the bottle is "Cute", and I always find a "Lady" that wants the empties, a pleasure in its own right. Does not rank on my current 1000 beer master list.

2.64/5  rDev -14.3%

Mud in a jug. Nothing overly exciting, but it isn't bad. A black and tan with a slight hop bite on the finish. Somewhat thin mouthfeel, but a decent looking dark black in the glass. Fairly inexpensive and available in many party stores. A good way to introduce a macro-drinker to a black and tan, as the novelty effect of the jug will get their attention.

1.56/5  rDev -49.4%

I can only describe this as a gimmick beer, because the bottle was interesting, and the beer awful. Funky metallic/brown sugar nose. Malt had an odd dimension, which, coupled with the alcohol in the beer, hinted at cheap sour mash whiskey. One of the few beers I have poured out half-way through and gotten something (anything) better from the fridge.

3.36/5  rDev +9.1%

This bottle looks like a moon shine bottle my grandpappy used to use at his still. Dark brown/black in color with a slight reddish hue. Tan head. Taste of toasted malt with a firm hop backbone. Roasted and smooth. Very good, but would not drink on a hot summer day.

4.08/5  rDev +32.5%

The color is brown with a red-ish hue. On the palate is a nice malt and hop flavor. I actually really enjoyed this brew. I only had a true black & tan once and that was long ago. The closest thing I drank as a usual is Yuengling's Black and Tan, which I love. This Mississippi Mud brew is different becuase of the Pilsner quality, I like that also, very different...weird one second I taste all pilsner, second I taste all porter. Anyway I tasted it, I liked it...Overall very enjoyable brew!

Sweet molasses on the nose, thick head endures. Dark brown with a reddish hue. Nice rounded mouth full of malt, hops bitterness, finishing dry. Smooth, yet not completely void of bite(highly carbonated). Despite the poorer reviews by my comrades, I feel this brew deserves more merit. Rewarding!

3.22/5  rDev +4.5%

I got a 4-pack of this from a Bud-drinking friend of mine and by the fourth one I can say I like this beer. It doesn't have much scent and I prefer a thicker feeling beer, but it tastes good.

2.6/5  rDev -15.6%

Comes in a quart bottle that looks like an old hillbilly wiskey jug....i like the bottle better than the beer.

firstprev| 1126-1150 | 1151-1175 | 1176-1200  | next → last
Mississippi Mud Black & Tan from Mississippi Brewing Co.