Mississippi Mud Black & Tan | Mississippi Brewing Co.

Mississippi Mud Black & TanMississippi Mud Black & Tan

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 10-15-2001

View: Beers
Ratings: 1,226 |  Reviews: 458
2.51/5  rDev -20.6%

I am drinkin a bottle that my fiancee's mom bought me. Gotta love having friends and family that know you like beer. She gave me a 6er of various brews before New Year's
Onto the beer.

I am drinking at room temp in a tulip glass because I can.
The beer pours a clear chestnut color with a soft fluffy off white head foaming up easily. Several streams of carbonation rise from the bottom of the glass. Head fades gradually to a puffy surface layer leaving some stringy latticework on the sides.
Aroma is grainy malt with a bit of huskiness and some toffee and general toffee sweetness. Also a bit of peppery bitterness that I cant place. Overall not the best smells to come from a beer IMO.
First sip reveals a lite body with average carbonation. The flavor has some anice qualities to it mixing with a bit of chocolate and the same grainy malt from the nose. OVerall a bit less pleasant than expected. Cant be sure but could be the anice as I dont like black licorice. Well the beer is not outstanding for sure and is not even very good, but it has flavor and I like it more than most BMC brews. the bottle is cool unfortunately the beer leaves a little to be desired.

2.51/5  rDev -20.6%

I'll come right out and admit it. I bought this for the bottle. What a cool bottle. Sometimes, I feel bad about not being able to give points for the bottle.

As far as the beer itself, there's a pretty massive head on this one. Impressive, and it sticks around. Taste is a little strange though. A tad of astringency to the lager. I really expected something a little bit thicker out of something that describes itself as "mud."

Bit of a letdown, really. Good thing the bottle's really cool though.

2.91/5  rDev -7.9%

12/09/04- Purchased at the local Trader Joes in San Mateo.

Appearance- Pours a semi dark brown with a huge head and pretty nice lacing. Nice moonshine jug! I can join me's a jugband now!! YEEEHAW!!

Smell- Nothing fantastic. A bit of roasted malts and that's about it. Not a real good scent.

Taste- Roasted malts, a bit of chocolate swirling around and some nasty coors light tasting stuff. I guess that's the tan part. YUK!

Mouthfeel- Pretty smooth and admittedly easy to swallow. Very low carb level.

Drinkability- That funky "tan" taste ruins it for me. Would have been semi decent if they had used a good lager for the tan part. Now it's just a below average beer.

2.59/5  rDev -18%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I like the way this beer looks: not just the cool jug handled bottle, but how it pours to a reddish brown with a creamy head.

Like so many others, that's when the party was over for me.

Now I'll admit that this was one of the first bottled black and tans that I'd ever had back when my local Trader Joes started stocking it. I thought it was refreshing then - but so is water. Still, I thought I'd try one this evening for BA reviewing purposes.

What little discernable aroma there is smoky and malty. Not much by the way of hops. There's a winey undertone, but it too is faint.

The taste is simply flat. Mouthfeel is bubbly, effervescent, but there's not enough body to this beer to keep me interested for long. I keep sipping it in hopes of being surprised by a last minute hint of flavor. Alas, it does not deliver.

Nothing spectacular as far as drinkability.

3.07/5  rDev -2.8%

The name and bottling of this beer had kept me intrigued for about a month already, and it created an anxiety until i finally popped the mud open.

And there came the first disappointment. Subconsciously, and i know i'm not alone here, i expected a Black and Tan named MUD and slow brewed to be a bit more viscous, a bit more opaque, a bit more mystical. Nope, this pours an amber colour that can be equally shared by a quality belgian as a crap strong lager. The head was not very lasting and the persistent, big-bubbled carbionation looked more like a soda. moving on.

The smell was it's highest characteristic. you can explore a bit of a range here, from malt to coffee to alcohol. but sad enough, it's not kept up by the taste. You faintly notice malts and hops, the "Continental Pilsner"s dull spectrum far more than the Porter (a style of my appeal). You've no complexity to look for here, rather perplexity in the description. The only way I could describe it was like a book missing the plot. You get the introduction- kind of sweet but not giving away much. You get the ending, a swift wash down of bitterness. But the plot- the complex flavours expected, the carbonation, that feel that goes to your nose, even the density- are not there. And this is its fatal flaw, IMO.

I hate it when a beer's paraphernalia leaves a deeper mark than the beer itself. This beer i won't be looking for in the future all in all. It's so...average. that's it. average.

Oh, plus, since when's a pint 473ml? damn US measurements....

2.87/5  rDev -9.2%

Quite a different vessel for this one. a moonshine jug, hmm. Poured out a medium brown with a soapy thin head that stayed no longer than the time it took me to pour it out its "jug". lacing was nothing to speak of. Aroma was of faint coffeebeans, caramel, and cereal grains. Taste was a little thinner than what i expected. kind of a let down. lightly roasted coffee, caramel, grainy and thin. this was more "tan" than "black". even though it was a let down, it was still better than any macro brew ive had, so it does have an upside. overall, the best thing this beer has going is its intriguing little packaging.

3.82/5  rDev +20.9%

I don't know about you guys, but I like getting in touch with my inner hillbilly now and again, and unscrewing a 32 ounce jug of Mississippi Mud is about the classiest way that I can do that and still manage to get drunk.

The bottle is cool. It pours a dark color with a nice head, decent retention, and good lacing. It doesn't taste much like any actually mixed black and tan I've had (stout and ale), it just tastes like a weak but bittersweet stout with hints of coffee and caramel. It's fizzy like an ale though, with a good body.

This stuff goes down so smooth that it's not even funny. It's like I'm drinking sasprilla.

Overall, a really nice beer. And where I shop a 32 oz bottle of this actually costs less than a 40 of Bud.

2.09/5  rDev -33.9%

The bottle's a bit of a turn off for me, with a screw-top cap and the look of a small whisky jug. Makes me think of trailer parks; should I blow on the bottle when it's empty? Upside: 32 oz. of beer :)

Serious head on the pour! Settles fairly quick into an admirable eggshell-white with strong lacing effects. I half expected there to be some gimmick allowing the advertised porter/pilsner blend to separate in the pour, but no - beer is a uniform brown-red, clear with thin carbonation.

Aroma is odd. You can detect the adjuncts in it (maybe from the pilsner?). hits of corn, scant hops, some chocolate (porter?).

Wow. What a bland-tasting beer. None of the character of a Guinness & Bass/Harp Black & Tan. This is uniformly blah. Thin mouthfeel with little taste of anything on the tongue. This is inoffensive to the point of being invisible. Allowing it to warm a bit doesn't seem to help, but it does bring out barely-there notes of chocolate and almond. Thanks but no thanks.

2.83/5  rDev -10.4%

Served in a giant brown jug. I had high expectations

App: Good head atop a very dark brown/almost black liquid.

Smell: Deep chocolate scent with fruity undertones.

Taste: On the "tan" end of black and tan. The taste is clean and slightly sour on the finish. The chocolate makes its reappearance only in the aftertaste.

The mouthfeel was also on the tan side. Kind of thin. The drinkability was good enough to put away a jug.

3.31/5  rDev +4.7%

Appearance - center-poured into a pint glass a clear reddish amber. 2 fingers of pocky head, drifts down to a covering. Pleasant enough to observe. Some stray random lacing.

Aroma - some light malt, soft coffee smell, hint of raisins. Aromas hold up well as the head recedes but don't progress beyond 'light' in strength.

Taste - light flavor profile, but evidence of the pils occurs up front. Slightly sweet, leading into some caramel and malt flavors. Some coffee notes try to develop on the swallow along with some raisiny sweetness, but never really gets there until it warms up a little. Some nice roastiness on the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - thin, with average carbonation. A light roasted coffee bean residue in the mouth, but otherwise relatively clean. For a porter/pils blend, I'd say this one's good per the style.

Drinkability - an enjoyable beer. Nothing to search for at length, but easy to drink.

2.98/5  rDev -5.7%

Better than I expected. Very thin and somewhat watery, but has a nice, porter-like flavor. It's a little weak, but pleasant. The macro background doesn't detract, and it's actually quite refreshing. Much better than Yeungling's version of the style, IMO.(It is certainly one of the coolest bottles, also).

2.23/5  rDev -29.4%

This beer was not very good. It had a decent appearance but the smell was a bit rancid. The taste was not appealing either. It had a very different and strange taste that I am not used to. It tasted like the malt was stale and it also tasted like it may have been skunked. Not a very good beer. It comes in a cool bottle that is great to hold change in.

2.45/5  rDev -22.5%

The first thing about this beer is the cool bottle, it's the reason I purchased it. I looks like an old pottery jug. The pour was a lighter copper-red tone. Came out with a good half inch head that quickly dissapated to a thin lace that stuck to the glass throughout the drink. The smell was a very light mix of floral and malt. The taste started very watery, dare I say almost macro watery, and continued that way until a light hop and malt kick at the finish. A very clean drinking beer that would make a great lawnmower beer, but that's the best I can say for it.

2.37/5  rDev -25%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

This beer smells awful! It reminded me of the so-called "macro swill" that everyone drinks. Luckily it tasted better than it smelled, but it still doesn't taste great. I taste some hops towards the end of this one, but I can't place most of the other tastes. Overall, it reminds me more of the "tan" than the "black" in black and tan. I need to learn to stick to actual black and tans instead of trying to simulate it with this type of mixture beer.

Admit it--you bought it for the bottle! I know I did.

1.86/5  rDev -41.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

The bottle was kind of cool, in a hickish way, so I decided to give it a try. The appearance was medium brown in color, much lighter than I thought it would be. There was a moderate head and good lacing. The body of this beer seems to be missing though. Tastes like a bad homebrew to me. Too sweet and thin up front with no bakbone. Hops are little noticed if at all. Maybe some earthy flavors arise but this is not a good beer. I'm not wasting my time with this stuff ever again.

1.9/5  rDev -39.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Pours a color that as nothing to do with Mississippi Mud. I live near the Mississippi. This stuff has the appearance of flat Coke. Smells vaguely like a porter, pretty weak. A little hint of chocolate and malt. Tastes like soda water. Tastes of chemicals and fizzy carbonation. Not much of a beer. Not worth buying.

2.69/5  rDev -14.9%

1 Quart Jug

Apperance: Pours a "Sprite" like head with minimal to no retention. The head was lame. The color is brown, but cranberry red up to the light. A very nice coloring on this beer.

Nose: A tiny bit hopy, with chocolate and alcohol. Maybe a tiny finsih of lime.

Taste: The taste is hopy and a little finish of chocolate. It tastes a lot like it smells. Alchohol is a taste I got right in the middle.

Notes; very cool jug. Awsome marketing for this brew. I'll be honest with you, the only reason I bought this was because of what it looked like. I was very disapointed for what this brew was supposed to be.

3.97/5  rDev +25.6%

The beer pours a brown color with a thin white lace head. The aroma is good. It has a creamy crystal malt scent that is really quite nice. The taste is good. It boasts of pale and crystal malts. It has a nice sweet malt palate that goes down easy and satisfies. This is a pretty damn good beer for being served up in a glass jug. The mouthfeel is good. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This beer surprised me. I wasn't expecting much, but what I got was a fine black and tan. It drinks well.

2.46/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear dark brown with a massive cream-colored head that slowly shrinks to a lumpy layer. The smell is faint but consists of light malts with grassy notes and hints of alcohol. The taste is a tad of chocolate, malt, light hops, and a touch of sweetness. This is an extremely light bodied brew for what it's supposed to be. Definitely not great and a few notches below good. Cheers anyways!

2.21/5  rDev -30.1%

This is a cola colored brew, with a bubbly white head topping it off. Not much smell, malty. This tastes like a clean lagered brew, with the traditional black and tan taste. This one failed to impress me much, but the bottle is pretty cool. Thats why most people would probably try this, not for a stellar tasting brew.

2.97/5  rDev -6%

I have always had a soft spot for the Mississippi Mud black and tan. Unfortunately for the Mississippi Brewing Co., it has nothing to do with the quality of the beer. History, in this case, influenced my decision to buy this beer again. I have many positive memories with this brew - particularly long nights of Mud and Mario Party with my friend Daniel. So, I was very excited to pick up a four pack of jugs. Really, the jug is the best part of this beer. I could probably drink a few of these and hardly notice. This is because the beer, which calls itself a 'black and tan', is actually a strange flavored amber. It pours into the glass and you wonder for a minute: which beer from my fridge did I just poor? Was it an ale? Was it an amber? But alas, you come to the conclusion that you did, in fact, pour yourself a 'black and tan' beer and got nothing of the sort. The head bubbled up nicely, but for a short duration. I took a drink and imagined the perfect blend of ale and stout - and only in my imagination would this occur. The taste is that of a medium bodied red beer. I have no problem drinking these; its not an offensive beer by any means. In fact, I polished off the four without much whincing.

2.58/5  rDev -18.4%

My wife picked me up the big jusg of this brew cuzz she liked the jug-like bottle a few weeks agoe and I never reviewed it because it was quite forgettable.Pour is decent a reddish brown color with not much head to it,aroma is very grainy and malty but not much there.I also got a metallic taste but not much just a slight metallic tinge in the finish,some slight caramel malt taste but pretty bland.A beer in a gimmick bottle quite a concept,that how you can sell really bad beer.

3.16/5  rDev 0%

Two big words for this one... METALIC AFTERTASTE!!! I am glad to see that I was not the only one to get the metalic aftertaste/smell. At first, I thought it was the glass, but now I know differently. It had a very nice appearance to it, especially the super thick head. The head lasted a few minutes and then died down to a laceing. If it wasn't for the metal taste/smell, it would have gotten a way better review. Sure, I like metal, but musically, not taste. Other than that, it was an above average atempt at a black and tan. Get rid of the metal and watch the ratings soar!

2.12/5  rDev -32.9%

Aroma: A minor hint of malt, but mostly I’m getting an alcohol smell.
Appearance: Black which shows a clear ruby when backlit. Had a creamy tan head that left a little bit of lacing.
Flavor: Malty, but has a metallic aftertaste. Basically has a porter profile.
Mouthfeel: Light-Medium, with an alcohol/carbonation prickle.
Overall Impression: Cool bottle, but I can’t reuse it for homebrew (twist top). I expected a thicker, more intense flavor. This is basically a thin slightly off porter. I would look at the water source or the cleaning of the metal in the brewing system. That, or a re-evaluation of the hops.

2.82/5  rDev -10.8%

I gave this beer .5 points for Appearance because of the moonshine-style jug. It pours a "muddy" brown with a foamy tan head. There's not much in the aroma department, besides fresh bread dough and mild hop. The lightly smoky body is fairly heavy, but not as thick as it appears. It's a bit grainy and mealy, though still quite fluid. The mildly applied hops have a lime-like flavor, but gets lost as the malt sweetens and overwhelms.

Mississippi Mud Black & Tan from Mississippi Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 3.16 out of 5 with 1,226 ratings