Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Mississippi Mud Black & Tan | Mississippi Brewing Co.

Mississippi Mud Black & TanMississippi Mud Black & Tan

20%

firstprev| 1126-1150 | 1151-1175 | 1176-1200  | next → last
Ratings: 1,196 |  Reviews: 450
3.69/5  rDev +17.1%

I'm not sure exactly why this beer is so popular in southern New Jersey (I think it's the packaging), but after seeing it time and time again in liquor store coolers I thought I'd give it a try. It pours a clear mahogany body that's topped by a short but creamy tan head. The head retention is only fair, and it drops shortly to a thin collar and whispy surface covering but leaves some lace initially. Fruitiness is prevelent in the nose, backed up by a touch of lightly caramel and cocoa-tinged malt. There's not alot going on, but it's actually quite nice and very welcoming. The body is light and it's crisp on the tongue. In the flavor, assorted fruits (apple, grape, orange, berry) and chocolate/cocoa-tinged malt combine in a mildly sweet cornicopia of drinkability. There's no noticeable hop flavor present, and the bitterness plays only a supporting role. It finishes with a flourish of fruit followed by a soft note of cocoa, and then dries out with a very mild note of alcohol and a touch of hop bitterness. Although it's very simplistic, it is actually quite quaffable. It has more character that most mainstream American lagers and makes a good crossover beer for the uninitiated.

2.81/5  rDev -10.8%

Yupper, gotta like the bottle at least. A decent mahogany colour with a very impressive choppy foamy tan head. Nose is of sweet, sweet malt, some toffee and caramel. Not a hint of hops to be found. Flavour of sugary sweet malt and carmelized sugar, very watery for a black and tan. I like the alligator for the logo though.

Appearance: Crystal-clear deep mahogony with a small off-white head which quickly collapses; good lacing and slight carbonation.

Aroma: Rather sweet caramel dominates the aroma, as well as malt and hints of coffee.

Taste: Taste begins with a sweet caramel malt character with hints of coffee and molasses. Turns tart with a bit stronger molasses note and hints of fruit at the finish.

Mouth feel: Quite smooth, very nice.

Drinkability/notes: An interesting beer; while I think that the notion of a black and tan beer in a bottle is a bit absurd, this is nonetheless a pleasant and drinkable beer.

2.71/5  rDev -14%

Appearance was a pleasant reddish tan. The smell was rather mild, but the tast e and mouthfeel were rather weak. Felt more like a light beer. Drinkability was too easy....a bit like drinking water. The bottle was very interesting...that is what intrigued me in my local major market.....suggest you stick with regular domestics rather than paying extra for this offering.

2.69/5  rDev -14.6%

I picked this beer up mostly because of the interesting looking bottle and because I have never had a black & tan bottle before. Pours a clear amber with a thin brownish head that disappeared rather quickly. The smell was actually pretty good with plenty of malt and a bit of caramel sweetness.

Unfortunately the smell is probably the best part of this beer. The beer is basically very tasteless and has just a bit of malty aftertaste. Mouthfeel is also pretty boring with a very small amount of carbonation.

Not really a bad beer, but if I am going to drink a beer I will definitely not choose this one.

2.56/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Probably the strangest looking “bottle” of beer that I’ve ever had. And, why is a beer called “Mississippi Mud” brewed in New York? Anyway, it pours a clear dark amber color with a frothy off-white colored head that fades into a good amount of sticky lace. Nose is faint with notes of malt and a touch of caramel. Light to medium in body with a sweet malty flavor at first followed by some sour notes. I wasn’t impressed at all with this beer, and I still don’t understand the concept of a bottled black & tan.

2.68/5  rDev -14.9%

Pours to a dark amber color with an off-white lace on top. Sweet malts dominate the aroma, but there is a little bit of roastiness in there. Overall, the aroma is weak and boring.

Well, there is not much black in this black and tan. The roastiness is really lacking with only a subtle dark malt flavor thrown in with a lot of pale malts and grains. The body is very light for the style, and it is really lacking flavor. Mouthfeel is good with light, crisp carbonation.

2.88/5  rDev -8.6%

I felt like Jed Clampett or Pa Kettle pouring from the novel Mississippi Mud jug.

This beer pours a dark amber with a thick long-lasting head. The aroma of sweet malts is barely discernable. The taste is a decent balance of hops and malts, but hardly the standard for a bottled Black & Tan. Mouthfeel is light and smooth which makes for a moderately drinkable beer.

If you are looking for an unusual bottle to add to your collection, this one is a must. But this wasn't my favorite bottled Black & Tan.

2.8/5  rDev -11.1%

You have to love the novelty bottle, hell I bet these things sell themselves just because of the bottle. Well, I know that couldn't have called it New York Mud, but c'mon who wants to drink Mississippi Mud from Utica, New York, hold on who really wants to drink Mississippi Mud. Well, hey I bought into it, now let's see what this beer is made of. It pours a deep dark ruby tint, and the head is filled with very large bubbles and it is cream and color. Head is sticking around for at least awhile, and the lace is clinging to the sides of my glass. The aroma is very faint, I can barely detect some grainines along with somekind of malt thrown in to give off a sweet aroma. No hops to be sniffed here, oh well let's see how it tastes. Very smooth and on the lighter side, but it brings a fruit tone in the finish that I find very pleasant. This is nothing exceptional, but I find it pretty drinkable. A bitterness along with a semi sour aftertaste is left, but I don't think it's a mistake, somebody tried to make it taste like that. Very light body and thin in the mouth, definitely doesn't have the texture of a real porter mixed anywhere in there. I could drink a couple of these and find myself admiring the bottles, but I probably will never buy this beer again. There are too many outstanding beers in the world, to settle for mediocrity.

3.7/5  rDev +17.5%

The idea of a black & tan in a bottle is absurd to say the least. If you are expecting the taste of an English B&T then you will be dissapointed. I found this a drinkable and good beer. Not a great beer mind you but still very good especially for an american beer. The maltiness is on the very light side. almost non existinet. The hops are mild also. A creamy texture with a good taste. Also a very large beer in a unigue bottle. I have tried this in both sizes and I find the larger bottle has a better flavour than the smaller bottles.

3.23/5  rDev +2.5%

The first thing that grabbed me was the catchy bottle. Plus I happen to like on occasion a B/T. It has a clear incandesant dark red color when poured, a slight head, beige/cream in color, the lace matches. The aroma has light hits of caramel and malt. The flavor, malt in the beginning, and slightly sweet. Not very carbonated. Drinkable. When you are in the mood for that type of brew.

3.12/5  rDev -1%

ruby/garnet in color...very pretty...but no head and no lace and hardly any carbonation....yikes! odd buttery aroma, a touch of floral hops. tastes ok....pilsener and porter characteristics wavering back and forth...no bitterness...medium to light in body and a pretty smooth mouthfeel...nothing stands out and i'm guessing that's the way it's supposed to be. pretty drinkable because it's unoffending. IMO this is a gimmick beer. it comes in a pretty cool one quart jug that makes a pretty sweet decoration. this concoction would be a good crossover brew, but i prefer my black and tans properly poured on tap with guinness and bass.

2.76/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Clear shiny brown color. Big fizzy beige head, fades fast. Not much noticable on the smell, faint carmel sweetness barely shows itself. Taste is nothing more than average, some sweetness, but no body. Fairly thin, and mine seemed very highly carbonated. Sweet finish, matched with carbonation made it almost soda like. More pilsener tasting than porter tasting. Cool bottle, looks like an old moon shine jug, with an alligator on the front. Big carbonation burbs haunt me.........

2.58/5  rDev -18.1%

The beer pours a clear incandesant dark ruby color, the head is modest, beige, the lace wraithish. Nose is malt, light hits of caramel. Front is malt, a tad sweet, the top thin, the finish is shilpit, minimal carbonation, nebishly hopped. Drinkable, and the bottle is "Cute", and I always find a "Lady" that wants the empties, a pleasure in its own right. Does not rank on my current 1000 beer master list.

2.64/5  rDev -16.2%

Mud in a jug. Nothing overly exciting, but it isn't bad. A black and tan with a slight hop bite on the finish. Somewhat thin mouthfeel, but a decent looking dark black in the glass. Fairly inexpensive and available in many party stores. A good way to introduce a macro-drinker to a black and tan, as the novelty effect of the jug will get their attention.

1.56/5  rDev -50.5%

I can only describe this as a gimmick beer, because the bottle was interesting, and the beer awful. Funky metallic/brown sugar nose. Malt had an odd dimension, which, coupled with the alcohol in the beer, hinted at cheap sour mash whiskey. One of the few beers I have poured out half-way through and gotten something (anything) better from the fridge.

3.36/5  rDev +6.7%

This bottle looks like a moon shine bottle my grandpappy used to use at his still. Dark brown/black in color with a slight reddish hue. Tan head. Taste of toasted malt with a firm hop backbone. Roasted and smooth. Very good, but would not drink on a hot summer day.

4.08/5  rDev +29.5%

The color is brown with a red-ish hue. On the palate is a nice malt and hop flavor. I actually really enjoyed this brew. I only had a true black & tan once and that was long ago. The closest thing I drank as a usual is Yuengling's Black and Tan, which I love. This Mississippi Mud brew is different becuase of the Pilsner quality, I like that also, very different...weird one second I taste all pilsner, second I taste all porter. Anyway I tasted it, I liked it...Overall very enjoyable brew!

Sweet molasses on the nose, thick head endures. Dark brown with a reddish hue. Nice rounded mouth full of malt, hops bitterness, finishing dry. Smooth, yet not completely void of bite(highly carbonated). Despite the poorer reviews by my comrades, I feel this brew deserves more merit. Rewarding!

3.22/5  rDev +2.2%

I got a 4-pack of this from a Bud-drinking friend of mine and by the fourth one I can say I like this beer. It doesn't have much scent and I prefer a thicker feeling beer, but it tastes good.

2.6/5  rDev -17.5%

Comes in a quart bottle that looks like an old hillbilly wiskey jug....i like the bottle better than the beer.

firstprev| 1126-1150 | 1151-1175 | 1176-1200  | next → last
Mississippi Mud Black & Tan from Mississippi Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 3.15 out of 5 with 1,196 ratings