Mississippi Mud Black & Tan | Mississippi Brewing Co.

Mississippi Mud Black & TanMississippi Mud Black & Tan

Mississippi Brewing Co.
New York, United States

Style: Black & Tan

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 10-15-2001

Reviews: 436 | Ratings: 1,156
2.85/5  rDev -7.5%

I have never had a real black and tan before, but I plan on getting some Guinness and Bass and making one soon. I finially decided to buy this beer because I was tired of seeing the unique cool bottle and wondering if this beer was any good.

Poured into a Stein it has a brownish red or copper color and is quite clear. It pours a nice two finger head which quickly receedes into a "thicker than most but still thin" flim over the top of the beer. From what I've heard real black and tans are layered, and this beer is just that nice copper color. Of course one can't expect it to be layered, its in a bottle. However, in relation to the style this beer looks nothing like a black and tan. There is some lacing but it is not very good.

The nose of this beer is quite interesting, like nothing I have ever drank before. I detect a floral hop smell that one might expect from an IPA or APA as well as a caramel aroma that is common to stouts and porters, I'm thinking that this aroma is coming from the use of a medium colored crystal malt in the brewing process.

The beer has a very low hop presence in the taste. Most of the flavor in this beer consists of the caramel which was also easily detectable in the aroma. It tastes a bit watered down the caramel flavor isn't very potent. It has a flavor that I can't quite put a finger on, there is perhaps a watery light coffe bean flavor, hints of spices, cardboard? I want to say that this beer reminds me alot of Hobgoblin Ale.

Poor mouthfeel on this one. I expected something with a bit more body. It is very very light bodied. It feels like someone had a half glass of beer left put a bunch of ice in it and let the ice melt, came back an hour later and finished the drink. It is extremely easy to drink, and goes down quite smooth. It would make an ok session beer, that is if the ABV is around 4-5%. The only reason I would buy this again is if there were no better alternatives, or if I wanted some more of the unique little bottles. I think that perhaps I'll get more satisfaction from the black and tan category when I actually make one myself by layering Guinness and Bass.

3.28/5  rDev +6.5%

I really don't consider 'Black and Tan's' to be a legitimate style of beer, but I'll judge it accordingly anyway. After trying this one a few years ago, I was unimpressed. Now, after knowing a bit more about beer flavor profiling, I kinda enjoyed this brew. Basically a weak, malty sweet American Stout in character. The 'tan' portion seemed to water the stout characters quite a bit, but substituted a moderately fruity sweet caramel malt character. I could also describe this as a big amber beer with cocoa, roasted grain (Porter--sh) and more moderately hopped. Schizophrentic of course, but I don't mind the experiment. Oh yea, the bottle is sorta neat too.

3.41/5  rDev +10.7%

A - Clear copper with a sticky, creamy head. Love the bottle.

S - Mostly lightly toasted grain with some grassy notes.

T - Slightly metallic with a mild coffee/toasted barley flavour. Reminds me of roasted barley tea actually.

M - Quite dry with medium carbonation. slightly watery.

D - Quite gooey. Very easy to drink. Nothing "off" and light in body, makes it a good session brew.

2.59/5  rDev -15.9%

This pours a dark ruby color,it looks like black cherry soda, with a thin off white head. There is almost no smell, except a very faint malt roastyness. The taste has a roasted flavor,some coffee and chocolate, but little else. The m/f is light and alittle weak and watery. I don't understand the point of this beer. If I wanted a good black and tan I'd mix it myself.

4.02/5  rDev +30.5%

I may have over-rated this interesting beer a bit, but the group think here has under-rated it. The floral and hoppy aroma is interesting. The taste is not overpowering but definitely interesting. It went great with my pizza this evening. It's definitely worth a try.

4.47/5  rDev +45.1%

The appearance is a beautiful dark amber with a small head. The smell is very nice and solid. The taste is like a like a porter with a sharpness at the end. The mouthfeel is pleasant and the overall experience kind of reminds me of Rogue Dead Guy. I love this beer and may get it again. More likely I will experiment with making my own black & tans.

3.78/5  rDev +22.7%

Pours a very clear dark amber. Soda-like head, and near soda-like carbonation.

Smells of smoke and malts. The malts are chocolate and caramel. A whisp of hops.

Taste - there is a good balance between porter and pilsner here. The pilsner makes it go down easy and gives it a slight hop character. It is somewhat overshadowed by the power of the porter however. The porter's strong smokeyness makes it all come together very interestingly. Subtle notes of chocolate, caramel, and coffee all come through.

*This beer is perhaps just a bit over-carbonated. The color/appearance seems a bit off to me for the style, but especially for the name. Speaking of the name- why the hell is this called mississipi mud? It's brewed in NY state. I bought this at Half Time in Poughkeepsie thinking it was actually from Mississippi. Should have looked closer I guess.

Interesting bottle and a beer that I suspect might be "manly-looking" enough to get some BMC drinkers to try it. IMO it's much better than the ranking would suggest.

3.61/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

The appearance is an array of red, brown, burgundy, mahogany, and burnt orange colors topped off by a creamy off-white head.

The nose has a rich, sweet smell. Pleasant but not unique.

A good robust flavor with a hoppy middle. Finishes with fall-like flavors, nature, dried dead leaves, soil, etc...

The mouthfeel has very nice tingly carbonation. Probably a little less than medium bodied but still enjoyable.

A very drinkable beer here. Easy drinking without sacrificing any flavor. This would probably make a good crossover beer for your bud light addicted buddy. Cheers!

2.48/5  rDev -19.5%

Black and Tan? The color was a medium amber with an orange hue. When poured, it had some foam a bit of lace after drinking this black and tan lager?

After poping the screw cap lid, the smell was of weak hops and something else, that I can't put my finger on. The taste had a very weak flavor. Kind of a weak hoppy taste with a hint of whatever. This is a good summer quinch that can be gulp down in a hurry! Please, no more Mississippi Mud "Black & Tan", for me!

2.9/5  rDev -5.8%

As i unscrewed the top of this jug, i immediately smelled the hint of a lager and metalics, and am a little dissappointed. but after i poured it out, the smell improved. it poured out a rich dark amber color with a small white head.. smells are hoppier than i thought, floral as well. for some reason immediately reminds me of how flying k-9 cruiser (american strong ale) smelled- call me crazy. has nice lacing though.

Taste is not as good. small hints of chocolate and caramel, but the lighter lager comes through. has the slight, slight maltiness of something coming out of miller. i'm not getting much hops here from the porter. not nearly as good as a true black and tan at a bar.

Mouthfeel is a little empty for me. leaves my mouth a little dry like i was eating something tart, which is not good. high carbonation.

Overall i have been wanting to try a bottled black and tan, but it seems this one is either a bad example, or the only good b+t is made at a bar. I kinda wish it wasnt a quart sized bottle, but i will finish it. i could see some people drink this. But hey, "mississippi mud" made in New York?! Such a shame. How many new yorkers have seen an alligator like is shown on the bottle? Its a scam.

3.21/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

The best thing about this beer is the unique packaging. I admit, I was a sucker for the gimmick. I will keep the jar.

Appearance: This beer looks like a typical Black and Tan. A bit of a dark lager / light stout. It’s a partly transparent dark amber/brown color. I got a two finger, barely creamy (mostly sudsy), head that lasted for a short time. The lacing is moderate.

Smell: Not much of a smell. What smell I can find, smells mostly black, like dark malts and caramel. There is also a hint of cream.

Taste: Pretty generic overall but not bad. I like the Stout characteristics and the Pilsner attributes don't ruin it too badly. It starts off smooth and a bit of a dark hoppy coffee bitter and sweet malt character (hinting at caramel). As it reaches mid mouth it is full blown green hop and generic (but decent) pilsner flavor. The swallow is too green, but it is immediately followed by a very nice aftertaste of burnt malts, coffee and common stout flavor (including the dryness induced pucker effect).

Mouthfeel: Feels light and smooth but a bit empty and thin in the mouth. Nice carbonation, crisp.

Drinkability: It is hard to say on this one. It is much better than many Macros out there but there are better black and tans. The dryness prevents this from being very sessionable. But it is decent, and worth a try. I will finish two tonight and may not need to get it again.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

2.87/5  rDev -6.8%

I remember drinking this before I found BA and realized that there is actual art and flavors to be found in beer. At the time, I thought this was a pretty good beer. Now I can try it a little more objectively, with a lot more information at hand.

Pours a moderate reddish amber. Since it's a pre-mixed Black and Tan, it completely loses out on the best part of a B&T, the dark beer sitting on top of the light. Not a good start. Decent enough head, though.

Aroma is semi-sweet, very malty in concept. Nothing much to write home about. Flavor is a malt up-front that definitely has some stout dryness, and the finish is very bitter harsh (in a bad way).

I can drink this, it's harmless enough, but no thanks.

2.52/5  rDev -18.2%

Most of the taste of this beer is lager, with the exception of the very end which lingers like a stout. It pours a translucenent brown color with an interesting lace pattern. The smell is overwhelingly of cheap mid-grade malt, which is I guess what you'd expect. A very unimpressive beer.

2.13/5  rDev -30.8%

This brew is pours a color that is neither black, nor tan, and certainly not both. Instead, it pours a clear blood red color with a small white head. It would look so bad for an amber or pale ale, but it is not what is espected for something called a black and tan. The aroma is rather pleasant; sweet roasted malt, nuts, fruit. The taste leaves a lot to be desired. It is faint, and mildy sweet. The mouthfeel is medium-light bodied with a lot of carbonation. Overall, this is a brew to be avoided. I seriosly can't see myself ever being in a situation where I wanted to drink a beer like this.

2.83/5  rDev -8.1%

Poured into a pilsner glass. Has a decent look to it. Deep reddish brown. Very little head on this one with very little lacing on the glass. The smell is similar to a stout, very big nose of burnt chocolate. Taste is not quite what you'd expect from the smell but you can definitely tell it falls into the black and tan category. Picking up some of the burnt chocolate taste, other than that it's relatively bland and bitter. Mouthfeel is rather bubbly considering there isn't really a whole lot of carbonation evident. Drinkability is average. could make a night out of drinking this but I think I'd probably get tired of it and want something else.

3.3/5  rDev +7.1%

Ok...first this is NOT a black & tan....it's a very good mellow dark beer...more like a stout...but not a black & tan.
It pours a rich dark root beer color with a nice head.
Not much aroma...slightly carmel and coffee smelling.
The taste is very smooth...very little hops or alcohol feel or taste.
Little aftertaste.
Not a bad brew...quite pleasant and refreshing for a dark beer.
Just not what I would expect from a Black & Tan.

3.73/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Got this I pint bottle from the Foodery in Philly -- read about it in Maxim like four years ago so I was excited about finding it.

It didnt have as much anything as I thought it would, probably because the cool packaging makes you think molasses or the "mud" makes you think of brownies.

Ok Im going to try to rate this one thinking Black and Tan.

As far as B&Ts go this one is more on the darker side. Chestnut color with little head, but some nice lacing.

The smell is very sweet off the bat with the faintest tinge of coffee. The taste is closer to an Oatmeal stout or Sweet stout with a sharper bite and more carbonation.

I feel like I could drink this one often, especially straight out of the bottle, very simple and refreshing/

2.27/5  rDev -26.3%

Put on your overalls, lose a tooth or two and sleep with your family. We are trying Mississippi Mud Black & Tan.

The black and tan is a beautiful idea of mixing two different types of beer, a English Pale such as Bass Ale and a Scottish Stout such as Guinness, and mixing them together. Making a distinct tan in ONE bottle and selling it would be, well, would be like drinking a dark amber to dark orange color beer with limited carbonation and head retention and no to limited lace.

So lets taste Mississippi Mud. The beer, not the river. Ok so I have had a traditional Black and tan and I can tell you that this tastes nothing like it. MS Mud has little malt flavor and has somewhat of a bit of hops. This should be smooth and easy to drink but really there is more bit than what I expected. The beer is not horrible but not really what I was expecting.

Well at least we get a full 1 pint on this beer. MS Mud has limited flavor and is not smooth so down on the mouthful although not difficult to drink. I guess if I’m in the south there are other beers I would want to try.

3.54/5  rDev +14.9%

Appearance of this beer is superior, in my opinion. Inviting, jet black, and a fine, thick off-white head on top.

Smell is all caramel and chocolate with just a bit of coffee.

This beer feels very creamy and super smooth in the mouth. It has soft, semi-sweet chocloate and espresso flavors with a medium body. It starts immediately sharp but quickly becomes smooth. When the brew settles in your mouth you'll notice the espresso-to-coffee flavor trend is the heaviest of all the taste suggestions you may experience. The finish is rough and bitter with a long-lasting aftertaste.

1.83/5  rDev -40.6%

this beer seems not very good to me, its flavor causes a little to me acidity, but nor to speak of its presentation one of the best and but simple ways to present/display a beer, its package, its label, the beer that I take from this mark is the one of a liter, with a predominant flavor to porter but that to they american to lager, it smells or and it leaves good flavor of mouth

3.9/5  rDev +26.6%

Pours a cloudy mahogany, with three fingers of off-white creamy head. Excellent retention and lacing. Smells of toasted chocolate malts and floral hops.The taste is a blend of sweet roasted malts upfront, folllowed by a crisp pilsner flavor and dry hops. The pale lager presence is strong, and disturbes the balance, but the taste is still pleasing and complex. Finishes clean and highly drinkable. The light lager gives an even carbonation and medium body and the dark ale provides a malty palate. This smooth combonation leaves the mouthfeel a little dry, a little residual.

3.06/5  rDev -0.6%

Strange root beer brown color on the top side with a more amber hue to its bottom half. Not completely divided in color but a definate difference between the top and bottom of the glass. Head is soft and sandy with a semi-creamy thickness to it but stays thin and gooey-like. Lacing is minimal in spots.

Aroma is light and a tiny bit sweet with a corn and dried corn husk tone to it. Very low on the scale of wiffable, quite clean and quite.

Taste is about the same, very tame and quite with not a whole lot to offer other than a soft corn-like sweetness with a slight undertone of dried husks and plain granola. Drys off slightly as it finishes with a whish of the grainy husks coming through. Overall very light on the buds.

Feel is pretty light ended but clean. Sorta brings along a bit of rounded off dull sweetness as it just kinda sits there with out much body or flare. Clean and easy with a very light airy dryness and tinge of grains nearer the finish.

Nothing I would'nt seek out again really. Very average, if not all together boring and forgetable.

2.83/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a light root beer color with a copper hue, has a frothy off white head, and some carb action.

Has a light/medium toasted caramel malt smell with some citrus hops.

Lightly sweet/bitter, moderately acidic, and almost bland caramel malt taste with an off orange hops flavor.

Light to medium bodied, almost watery texture, soft carbonation, and a bland finish.

The bland finish prevents any type of session with this beer.

3.73/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: 16oz brown glass custom bottle, tan colored wrap-around label

Appearance: reddish brown color, medium tan head, some lacing

Smell: grain, roasted malt, some caramel and minor fruitness

Taste: medium body, smooth mouthfeel, roasted malt, some chocolate

Notes: one of the best in its class, very good taste and highly drinkable, just keep it COLD

3.33/5  rDev +8.1%

My first bottled black and tan, and the only one easily available to me.

My father-in-law had this a few years back, and didn't like it; however, he also tends not to like darker beers.

This beer combines (or claims to) an English porter, a favourite of mine, and a pilsner, something I'm not terribly fond of.

However, this beer blends the two nicely. It pours a dark copper colour with a foamy, light tan head. The smell is somewhat bland, and yeasty. I can't smell too much hops or malts.

Taste is decent: it tastes like a light porter. The taste is exactly like described on the bottle: a mix of a dark, heavy beer, and a light lagered beer.

Easy to drink, and enjoyable, but a little bit on the boring side.

Mississippi Mud Black & Tan from Mississippi Brewing Co.