Mississippi Mud Black & Tan | Mississippi Brewing Co.

Mississippi Mud Black & TanMississippi Mud Black & Tan

Mississippi Brewing Co.
New York, United States

Style: Black & Tan

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 10-15-2001

Reviews: 442 | Ratings: 1,176
1.81/5  rDev -41.2%

Poured a dark copper color with about 2 inches of head that disappeared quickly.

Smell is a rather non descript slight malt.

Taste is very light with just a touch of detectable toasted malts.

Mouthfeel is very thin and watery.

A boring beer in a fancy package I would never seek out.

2.43/5  rDev -21.1%

Picked up a 4 pack of cool jug bottles.

Pours a clear chestnut brown with a frothy head that quickly dissipates to nothing.

Smell is sweet caramel maltiness with a touch of nuttiness.

Taste is rather thin and sweet. Dark malt with hints of chocolate and nut. Afetertast has a metalic flavor that is distracting.

Mouthfeel is on the thin side.

Bottle is very cool. As for the beer, there isn't anything extraordinary here. Flavors are thin and watery. That said the beer is about what you would expect in a prepaged black and tan. This isn't terrible, but with all the good beer I could be drinking I'll use the other three bottles to boil my brats.

1.74/5  rDev -43.5%

So somebody dipped a wet, rotting piece of wood into a pot of molasses, liquified it, and stuck it in a cool looking glass. That's what you'll taste. It's sweet in a bad way. This is like hard candy gone wrong.

I think these NY state brewers didn't want to be associated with this brew, so they called it "Mississippi Mud" to distance themselves. Blame it on the dirty south.

I though the brew would be a cloudy deep brown color based on its name, but it's a medium brown and a little thin. The smell is strong and off-putting.

1.49/5  rDev -51.6%

From the 1 quart jug

Normally, I wouldn't buy something like this, but the bottle caught my eye, and then the interesting name. I picked up the jug from the bottom shelf thinking "what the hell is this shit?" and was about to put it back. Then I saw the price tag, and figured what the hell, and I put it in the cart. What can I say, I'm a sucker for good marketing. Here goes...

A: pours a reddish copper hue with a small foamy head.

S: Vague aromas of malt and hops. That sounds stupid, but that's about as descriptive as I can be.

T: What taste? There's a very slight oxidized taste, but not much of anything. Seriously, was the malt substituted with food coloring?

M: Watery and thin with an abrasive carbonated texture.

D: Was this worth what I paid for it? Sure. I've at least got a story. But in the future, it won't be worth any more than the price of a bottle of club soda, because that's basically what this is.

1.86/5  rDev -39.6%

Well the outcome of this venture certainly didn't surprise me at all. I was fairly certain that this was going to be very un-impressive. Well, it was. Appearance was not too bad. Dark reddish brown color with an eggshell white head that vanished in about 6 seconds. More carbonation that I would have expected. Smell? Sweet and malty. Quite sweet, in fact. I was not impressed. Taste? Get a glass and fill it halfway with tap water and the rest of the way with club soda, then toss in two shots of Guinness and dissolve two teaspoons of sugar in it. There you go, you just made your own "Mississippi Mud". There were trace amounts of malt roaming about, but nothing note worthy, for sure. Mouthfeel was ultra thin and I cannot imagine ever drinking this foul liquid again, much less spending money for it. Not "absolutely terrible", but you can see "absolutely terrible" from where this is standing.
Blessed Be
-SS

3.11/5  rDev +1%

A: A dark tan appearance with a small amount of head. Looks similar to a nut brown in color.
S: Not too much smell, mostly roasted malt and other porter type characteristics
M: A medium body, a good mix for a black and tan. Smooth at first but the carbonation kicks that away.
D: I could drink this a lot just because it seems to go fast. The taste is enjoyable, a mild porter in many ways. Bought it for the bottle and price, and found this brew suprisingly good. A good beer to try especially for the price.

2.85/5  rDev -7.5%

I have never had a real black and tan before, but I plan on getting some Guinness and Bass and making one soon. I finially decided to buy this beer because I was tired of seeing the unique cool bottle and wondering if this beer was any good.

Poured into a Stein it has a brownish red or copper color and is quite clear. It pours a nice two finger head which quickly receedes into a "thicker than most but still thin" flim over the top of the beer. From what I've heard real black and tans are layered, and this beer is just that nice copper color. Of course one can't expect it to be layered, its in a bottle. However, in relation to the style this beer looks nothing like a black and tan. There is some lacing but it is not very good.

The nose of this beer is quite interesting, like nothing I have ever drank before. I detect a floral hop smell that one might expect from an IPA or APA as well as a caramel aroma that is common to stouts and porters, I'm thinking that this aroma is coming from the use of a medium colored crystal malt in the brewing process.

The beer has a very low hop presence in the taste. Most of the flavor in this beer consists of the caramel which was also easily detectable in the aroma. It tastes a bit watered down the caramel flavor isn't very potent. It has a flavor that I can't quite put a finger on, there is perhaps a watery light coffe bean flavor, hints of spices, cardboard? I want to say that this beer reminds me alot of Hobgoblin Ale.

Poor mouthfeel on this one. I expected something with a bit more body. It is very very light bodied. It feels like someone had a half glass of beer left put a bunch of ice in it and let the ice melt, came back an hour later and finished the drink. It is extremely easy to drink, and goes down quite smooth. It would make an ok session beer, that is if the ABV is around 4-5%. The only reason I would buy this again is if there were no better alternatives, or if I wanted some more of the unique little bottles. I think that perhaps I'll get more satisfaction from the black and tan category when I actually make one myself by layering Guinness and Bass.

3.28/5  rDev +6.5%

I really don't consider 'Black and Tan's' to be a legitimate style of beer, but I'll judge it accordingly anyway. After trying this one a few years ago, I was unimpressed. Now, after knowing a bit more about beer flavor profiling, I kinda enjoyed this brew. Basically a weak, malty sweet American Stout in character. The 'tan' portion seemed to water the stout characters quite a bit, but substituted a moderately fruity sweet caramel malt character. I could also describe this as a big amber beer with cocoa, roasted grain (Porter--sh) and more moderately hopped. Schizophrentic of course, but I don't mind the experiment. Oh yea, the bottle is sorta neat too.

3.41/5  rDev +10.7%

A - Clear copper with a sticky, creamy head. Love the bottle.

S - Mostly lightly toasted grain with some grassy notes.

T - Slightly metallic with a mild coffee/toasted barley flavour. Reminds me of roasted barley tea actually.

M - Quite dry with medium carbonation. slightly watery.

D - Quite gooey. Very easy to drink. Nothing "off" and light in body, makes it a good session brew.

2.59/5  rDev -15.9%

This pours a dark ruby color,it looks like black cherry soda, with a thin off white head. There is almost no smell, except a very faint malt roastyness. The taste has a roasted flavor,some coffee and chocolate, but little else. The m/f is light and alittle weak and watery. I don't understand the point of this beer. If I wanted a good black and tan I'd mix it myself.

4.02/5  rDev +30.5%

I may have over-rated this interesting beer a bit, but the group think here has under-rated it. The floral and hoppy aroma is interesting. The taste is not overpowering but definitely interesting. It went great with my pizza this evening. It's definitely worth a try.

4.47/5  rDev +45.1%

The appearance is a beautiful dark amber with a small head. The smell is very nice and solid. The taste is like a like a porter with a sharpness at the end. The mouthfeel is pleasant and the overall experience kind of reminds me of Rogue Dead Guy. I love this beer and may get it again. More likely I will experiment with making my own black & tans.

3.78/5  rDev +22.7%

Pours a very clear dark amber. Soda-like head, and near soda-like carbonation.

Smells of smoke and malts. The malts are chocolate and caramel. A whisp of hops.

Taste - there is a good balance between porter and pilsner here. The pilsner makes it go down easy and gives it a slight hop character. It is somewhat overshadowed by the power of the porter however. The porter's strong smokeyness makes it all come together very interestingly. Subtle notes of chocolate, caramel, and coffee all come through.

*This beer is perhaps just a bit over-carbonated. The color/appearance seems a bit off to me for the style, but especially for the name. Speaking of the name- why the hell is this called mississipi mud? It's brewed in NY state. I bought this at Half Time in Poughkeepsie thinking it was actually from Mississippi. Should have looked closer I guess.

Interesting bottle and a beer that I suspect might be "manly-looking" enough to get some BMC drinkers to try it. IMO it's much better than the ranking would suggest.

3.61/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

The appearance is an array of red, brown, burgundy, mahogany, and burnt orange colors topped off by a creamy off-white head.

The nose has a rich, sweet smell. Pleasant but not unique.

A good robust flavor with a hoppy middle. Finishes with fall-like flavors, nature, dried dead leaves, soil, etc...

The mouthfeel has very nice tingly carbonation. Probably a little less than medium bodied but still enjoyable.

A very drinkable beer here. Easy drinking without sacrificing any flavor. This would probably make a good crossover beer for your bud light addicted buddy. Cheers!

2.48/5  rDev -19.5%

Black and Tan? The color was a medium amber with an orange hue. When poured, it had some foam a bit of lace after drinking this black and tan lager?

After poping the screw cap lid, the smell was of weak hops and something else, that I can't put my finger on. The taste had a very weak flavor. Kind of a weak hoppy taste with a hint of whatever. This is a good summer quinch that can be gulp down in a hurry! Please, no more Mississippi Mud "Black & Tan", for me!

2.9/5  rDev -5.8%

As i unscrewed the top of this jug, i immediately smelled the hint of a lager and metalics, and am a little dissappointed. but after i poured it out, the smell improved. it poured out a rich dark amber color with a small white head.. smells are hoppier than i thought, floral as well. for some reason immediately reminds me of how flying k-9 cruiser (american strong ale) smelled- call me crazy. has nice lacing though.

Taste is not as good. small hints of chocolate and caramel, but the lighter lager comes through. has the slight, slight maltiness of something coming out of miller. i'm not getting much hops here from the porter. not nearly as good as a true black and tan at a bar.

Mouthfeel is a little empty for me. leaves my mouth a little dry like i was eating something tart, which is not good. high carbonation.

Overall i have been wanting to try a bottled black and tan, but it seems this one is either a bad example, or the only good b+t is made at a bar. I kinda wish it wasnt a quart sized bottle, but i will finish it. i could see some people drink this. But hey, "mississippi mud" made in New York?! Such a shame. How many new yorkers have seen an alligator like is shown on the bottle? Its a scam.

3.21/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

The best thing about this beer is the unique packaging. I admit, I was a sucker for the gimmick. I will keep the jar.

Appearance: This beer looks like a typical Black and Tan. A bit of a dark lager / light stout. It’s a partly transparent dark amber/brown color. I got a two finger, barely creamy (mostly sudsy), head that lasted for a short time. The lacing is moderate.

Smell: Not much of a smell. What smell I can find, smells mostly black, like dark malts and caramel. There is also a hint of cream.

Taste: Pretty generic overall but not bad. I like the Stout characteristics and the Pilsner attributes don't ruin it too badly. It starts off smooth and a bit of a dark hoppy coffee bitter and sweet malt character (hinting at caramel). As it reaches mid mouth it is full blown green hop and generic (but decent) pilsner flavor. The swallow is too green, but it is immediately followed by a very nice aftertaste of burnt malts, coffee and common stout flavor (including the dryness induced pucker effect).

Mouthfeel: Feels light and smooth but a bit empty and thin in the mouth. Nice carbonation, crisp.

Drinkability: It is hard to say on this one. It is much better than many Macros out there but there are better black and tans. The dryness prevents this from being very sessionable. But it is decent, and worth a try. I will finish two tonight and may not need to get it again.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

2.87/5  rDev -6.8%

I remember drinking this before I found BA and realized that there is actual art and flavors to be found in beer. At the time, I thought this was a pretty good beer. Now I can try it a little more objectively, with a lot more information at hand.

Pours a moderate reddish amber. Since it's a pre-mixed Black and Tan, it completely loses out on the best part of a B&T, the dark beer sitting on top of the light. Not a good start. Decent enough head, though.

Aroma is semi-sweet, very malty in concept. Nothing much to write home about. Flavor is a malt up-front that definitely has some stout dryness, and the finish is very bitter harsh (in a bad way).

I can drink this, it's harmless enough, but no thanks.

2.52/5  rDev -18.2%

Most of the taste of this beer is lager, with the exception of the very end which lingers like a stout. It pours a translucenent brown color with an interesting lace pattern. The smell is overwhelingly of cheap mid-grade malt, which is I guess what you'd expect. A very unimpressive beer.

2.13/5  rDev -30.8%

This brew is pours a color that is neither black, nor tan, and certainly not both. Instead, it pours a clear blood red color with a small white head. It would look so bad for an amber or pale ale, but it is not what is espected for something called a black and tan. The aroma is rather pleasant; sweet roasted malt, nuts, fruit. The taste leaves a lot to be desired. It is faint, and mildy sweet. The mouthfeel is medium-light bodied with a lot of carbonation. Overall, this is a brew to be avoided. I seriosly can't see myself ever being in a situation where I wanted to drink a beer like this.

2.83/5  rDev -8.1%

Poured into a pilsner glass. Has a decent look to it. Deep reddish brown. Very little head on this one with very little lacing on the glass. The smell is similar to a stout, very big nose of burnt chocolate. Taste is not quite what you'd expect from the smell but you can definitely tell it falls into the black and tan category. Picking up some of the burnt chocolate taste, other than that it's relatively bland and bitter. Mouthfeel is rather bubbly considering there isn't really a whole lot of carbonation evident. Drinkability is average. could make a night out of drinking this but I think I'd probably get tired of it and want something else.

3.3/5  rDev +7.1%

Ok...first this is NOT a black & tan....it's a very good mellow dark beer...more like a stout...but not a black & tan.
It pours a rich dark root beer color with a nice head.
Not much aroma...slightly carmel and coffee smelling.
The taste is very smooth...very little hops or alcohol feel or taste.
Little aftertaste.
Not a bad brew...quite pleasant and refreshing for a dark beer.
Just not what I would expect from a Black & Tan.

3.73/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Got this I pint bottle from the Foodery in Philly -- read about it in Maxim like four years ago so I was excited about finding it.

It didnt have as much anything as I thought it would, probably because the cool packaging makes you think molasses or the "mud" makes you think of brownies.

Ok Im going to try to rate this one thinking Black and Tan.

As far as B&Ts go this one is more on the darker side. Chestnut color with little head, but some nice lacing.

The smell is very sweet off the bat with the faintest tinge of coffee. The taste is closer to an Oatmeal stout or Sweet stout with a sharper bite and more carbonation.

I feel like I could drink this one often, especially straight out of the bottle, very simple and refreshing/

2.27/5  rDev -26.3%

Put on your overalls, lose a tooth or two and sleep with your family. We are trying Mississippi Mud Black & Tan.

The black and tan is a beautiful idea of mixing two different types of beer, a English Pale such as Bass Ale and a Scottish Stout such as Guinness, and mixing them together. Making a distinct tan in ONE bottle and selling it would be, well, would be like drinking a dark amber to dark orange color beer with limited carbonation and head retention and no to limited lace.

So lets taste Mississippi Mud. The beer, not the river. Ok so I have had a traditional Black and tan and I can tell you that this tastes nothing like it. MS Mud has little malt flavor and has somewhat of a bit of hops. This should be smooth and easy to drink but really there is more bit than what I expected. The beer is not horrible but not really what I was expecting.

Well at least we get a full 1 pint on this beer. MS Mud has limited flavor and is not smooth so down on the mouthful although not difficult to drink. I guess if I’m in the south there are other beers I would want to try.

3.54/5  rDev +14.9%

Appearance of this beer is superior, in my opinion. Inviting, jet black, and a fine, thick off-white head on top.

Smell is all caramel and chocolate with just a bit of coffee.

This beer feels very creamy and super smooth in the mouth. It has soft, semi-sweet chocloate and espresso flavors with a medium body. It starts immediately sharp but quickly becomes smooth. When the brew settles in your mouth you'll notice the espresso-to-coffee flavor trend is the heaviest of all the taste suggestions you may experience. The finish is rough and bitter with a long-lasting aftertaste.

Mississippi Mud Black & Tan from Mississippi Brewing Co.