Mississippi Mud Black & Tan | Mississippi Brewing Co.

Mississippi Mud Black & TanMississippi Mud Black & Tan

Mississippi Brewing Co.
New York, United States

Style: Black & Tan

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 10-15-2001

Ratings: 1,186 |  Reviews: 447
3.4/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Dark brown with a certain clarity, almost sort of a see-through quality, it actually looks a lot like a cola aside from the head. The head isn't fantastically large or strong, but it doesn't disappear like a soda. Though sparsely bubbled, it's active in some fashion for a good while. Lacing is light but present.
Understanding the style is key, but this beer works regardless in its own way. Like the Cascadian Black (aka Black IPA), its the marriage of two near opposites in a way that both sides contribute uniquely. This one, in fact, is sort of a light version of that idea, in which less intense styles are used. The porter contributes a bit of roast and the maltier elements with a bit of barley, while the pilsner offers a brighter, citrusy and leafier element. It's refreshing, and it works together pretty well. It's not for everyone, but I wouldn't turn it down.
The feel takes more of the pilsner character; it's about a medium body, but focuses on a bright sort of crispness and sturdy, consistent carbonation.

1.5/5  rDev -51.3%

2.5/5  rDev -18.8%

3.75/5  rDev +21.8%

3.05/5  rDev -1%

I wish I knew more about the pilsner and the porter used in this bottle half and half. The beer was okay with my pizza. I poured into a pint jar, the color was dark but not dense, the head was small, quarter an inch. I poured from the 1 quart jug which is a nice novelty, the gator is a nice touch. Beer was decent, but not remarkable. I could drink a couple.

2.57/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

First of all, I would like to note that on the case that I bought, it says to serve at room temperature, hence I am doing so. I poured the Mississippi Mud into a common "Guinness" Porter glass, even though this is a Black and Tan beer. I am a high advocate of the proper beer glass, for the beer.

Appearance- It is a deep deep amber red color. It is not quite as dark as I expected, however it is a black and tan beer. It is however a see through beer with little to no carbonation bubbles. The head is just an off white brown with dissipating pockets around the glass. Very little lacing on the glass and I even poured aggressively.

Smell- With a simple swirl of the glass I get this nice beautiful smell of coffee and roasted malt. Some people may not like this beer's smell but I really enjoy it. With my second smell, I get this overwhelming roasted malt with a "cleany" adjunct kind of smell.

Taste- My first sip...very very mild. I was expecting a much more deep porter taste. It really does taste as though it is a non carbonated pilsner with a little kick of porter with the after taste. I taste a mild but consistence malt taste with a hint of coffee after the gulp is taken. Taste so far, disappointed.

Mouthfeel- What else can I say, watery. For a black and tan, I expected a poor "molassesy" feel or at least heavier than a typical pilsner. It is very light in mouthfeel for a black and tan to say the least.

Overall- Overall, the only good thing that I do somewhat really enjoy is the smell and appearance of this beer. The Taste and Mouthfeel really disappoint me. The best part of this beer however is the growler that it came in. Basically, it is a bad ass growler that will decorate my room. Overall, I will give this beer a 2.5 I would recommend it only to someone who is new in the beer tasting world because it is a building block to be built upon.

Finally, I would like to note this is my first beer review ever. PLEASE let me know how I did and or, how I can improve...CHEERS!

3.74/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The Mississippi Mud is an interesting combination of beer....porter and pilsner. The porter provides roast, peat and mild dark chocolate. The pilsner provides grassy like hops and bitterness. Put them together and you have a decent balanced beer that is easy drinking and sessionable. This beer is probably better drank in the cooler spring, fall and winter days. Additionally this beer would go well with spicier foods. Overall a good beer and worth a try.

2.75/5  rDev -10.7%

2.75/5  rDev -10.7%

Mississippi Mud Black & Tan from Mississippi Brewing Co.