Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Mississippi Mud Black & Tan | Mississippi Brewing Co.

Mississippi Mud Black & TanMississippi Mud Black & Tan

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 10-15-2001

20%

Ratings: 1,196 |  Reviews: 450
2.95/5  rDev -6.3%

Must admit that I bought this beer for the bottle. Pours a clear ruby brown color with a decent tan head that settled into a light cap. The aroma is of a light toasted malt with a slight metallic twang. The taste is quite buttery, high in diacetyl, a watery toasted malt and a metallic twang to boot. Really quite a hodge podge of off-putting flavors. At least it is not grainy or adjuncty. The feel is light but not watery, appropriate carbonation, finishes ok, slightly astringent. An average brew at best, very English in style. I still don't understand the whole black and tan in a bottle thing, needs to be mixed right before you drink it. #400 (not sure why I chose this one)

2.95/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

I bought the one-quart bottle just to give this brew a try. The bottle is in the shape of a ceramic jug with a nicely done shrink-wrap label.
The beer is a light brown color with more clarity than I expected and a thin white head. Aroma is pleasingly of roasted malts. There’s a fruity sweetness up front, and a very light hopiness. Overall, I’d describe this beer as watery and uninspiring….another gimmick beer. It’s got a cool bottle going for it, but not much else.

look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I remember thinking this was something special before I knew anything about beer. I brought one of these bad boy jugs to a St. Patty's day party. I'm glad those days are behind me.

2.95/5  rDev -6.3%

I'm visiting Texas right now,and I stopped in to Whole Foods...and this bottle sort of jumped out.I decided to give it a try,not expecting much,and I was right.Already mixed Black & Tans seem to ruin the experience,and this was no exception.You can taste neither the Porter nor the Pilsner IMHO.It was not a bad beer by any means,but neither was it great,but at $2.99 for a Quart it was a decent buy.I would have it again,but I would not go out of my way to get it...

2.95/5  rDev -6.3%

Very interesting jug of a bottle. Poured dark amber color with a medium white head that diminished slowly with fair lacing. Medium malt and sweet aroma. Medium body with a smooth texture. Medium flavor of roasted malt and sweet with a short finish. Below average combo.

2.96/5  rDev -6%

Pours a lively head. Color is a dark, clear brown. Smell is a tad sweet and possibly a little malty.

First sip almost reminds me of a version of Guinness. It's malty, not too much body or flavor, still, it's pretty acceptable overall.

Not something that I would show off to my friends, but still, acceptable.

2.96/5  rDev -6%

A: Pours a crystal clear dark amber in color with some lighter amber colors when held up to the light. The beer has a finger tall light beige head that quickly reduces to a thin film covering the entire surface of the beer with a small patch of thicker bubbles and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate to significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: The aroma of this beer is rather malty with some lighter notes of brown sugar and molasses sweetness.

T: This beer has flavors of roasted malts, nuttiness, and some sweetness from maple syrup/molasses. Just a touch too sweet for my tastes but there is just a very light hint of smokiness.

M: On the lighter side of medium bodied with heavy amounts of carbonation. So much carbonation it is almost prickly.

O: This beer is nothing special but it is certainly not offensive either. The last time I had this beer, I was still an undergrad and thought this was quality craft beer - how much the world has changed in the last 20 years, especially in my appreciation of good craft beers. Easy to drink but not something I really want to have more than one during a session. Not sure I will get this one again but it was a nice walk down memory lane.

2.96/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a transparent but dark brown with a decent off-white head that left some lacing. Smelled like Bud Light, but with a slight roasted/coffee tone. Very light flavor, adequate notes of a porter and AAL, but nothing standing out amongst the whole. Watery mouthfeel, and only a slightly roast in the aftertaste. I could drink this all afternoon at the rope swing, but why bother?

2.97/5  rDev -5.7%

attractive 32 oz jug from Fred Meyer,N.Salem. $3.78. Wow been years since i saw this one..used to drink it now and again in the late 1990s in Atlanta. I cant remember it being this colour..its a plain darkish amber beer with a large rocky light tan head. Plain but not unpleasant caramel/light chocolate malt aromas. Taste is very plain..some toffee, some caramel and a slight hint of black coffee in the end. Thin on the palate but not horrid. Overall its drinkable.

2.97/5  rDev -5.7%

Screw-top jug, no date. DFH Tulip. Served extremely cold, initially.

Appearance: Pours a clear dark amber/light brown with a half finger light khaki head, which dissipates quickly into a thin ring at the edge and a couple of little islands. Lots of small, active carbonation. No lacing, not awful retention, but pretty poor.

Aroma: Some mild roast, a little lager yeast, but pretty tame overall; nothing offensive.

Taste: Pretty dry arrival, slightly sour across mid-palate. Mixes the texture I love ina pilsner and the taste I love in a brown ale in one beer. A little dry cocoa puff across the middle, right before that sourness. Pretty light on the bittering at the end. Some lingering roast notes and a little lingering sourness on the back end. This is better then Yuengling, I suppose. Certainly less sweet and more complex.

Mouthfeel: Lighter side of mid-weight. Very clean. Active carbonation.

Overall: The combination is interesting, and much to my surprise, I would drink this again. I could see this pairing well with food. However I can think of no fewer than a dozen brown ales and/or amber lagers that I would pick ahead of this, and this is only available in a jug growler, so I don't see it gracing my fridge again anytime soon. I had this in college 15 years ago, well before my palate was developed, and it was a fun little experiment to return to it. It seems downright watery now, but back then it seemed like an RIS.

2.97/5  rDev -5.7%

I have always had a soft spot for the Mississippi Mud black and tan. Unfortunately for the Mississippi Brewing Co., it has nothing to do with the quality of the beer. History, in this case, influenced my decision to buy this beer again. I have many positive memories with this brew - particularly long nights of Mud and Mario Party with my friend Daniel. So, I was very excited to pick up a four pack of jugs. Really, the jug is the best part of this beer. I could probably drink a few of these and hardly notice. This is because the beer, which calls itself a 'black and tan', is actually a strange flavored amber. It pours into the glass and you wonder for a minute: which beer from my fridge did I just poor? Was it an ale? Was it an amber? But alas, you come to the conclusion that you did, in fact, pour yourself a 'black and tan' beer and got nothing of the sort. The head bubbled up nicely, but for a short duration. I took a drink and imagined the perfect blend of ale and stout - and only in my imagination would this occur. The taste is that of a medium bodied red beer. I have no problem drinking these; its not an offensive beer by any means. In fact, I polished off the four without much whincing.

2.98/5  rDev -5.4%

I bought this beer mainly because of the unique growler-like 1 quart bottle design and the price was low enough to make it worthwhile to try a taste.

While I had restrained expectations that this would somehow approximate a true Black and Tan in flavor and texture, I did not have any serious belief that this would look like a properly poured Black & Tan at your local beer joint. The appearance was a darker copper, the head was not all that noticible and what did appear vanished rather quickly. On the nose this beer has a light essence of roasted malts, some faint coffee notes and that's about it - not too complex of an aroma with this beer. On tasting this beer the simplicity of the aromas carried through to the taste....some roasted malt flavors...very little hop character which could have provided this beer with a wee bit more depth. The finish was brief...as in barely noticable. All in all a pretty average beer, but still drinkable and would be wotthwhile for a party beer to get the conversation going about the bottle if nothing else.

2.98/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.98/5  rDev -5.4%

a: light brown with amber highlights and a surprising two finger head that left minimal lacing.

s: not much here. light malty sweetness with a slight roasted smell.

t: so plain i dont know what to say other than slightly sweet.

m: still trying to figure out how a beer with such a great head tasted so flat and thin.

o: what i expected for three dolllars a quart. mainly bought it for the bottle.

2.98/5  rDev -5.4%

Better than I expected. Very thin and somewhat watery, but has a nice, porter-like flavor. It's a little weak, but pleasant. The macro background doesn't detract, and it's actually quite refreshing. Much better than Yeungling's version of the style, IMO.(It is certainly one of the coolest bottles, also).

2.98/5  rDev -5.4%

I shared this unique hillbilly like jug with a beer buddy and poured the twist cap topped beer into a pint glass.

A: It poured a light thin brown body that when back lit was cherry red. There was a moderate light tan head and a solid dense layered lacing.

S: It led with sweet roasted malts that were balanced by whiffs of spicy hops. None of the aromas were distinct or robust.

T: The dark roasted malts were sweet and nutty and gave teh brew its backbone. there were hints of chocolate and biter sweetness as well as the hoppy bite of a lager. I've not sampled many black and tans so I may be somewhat harsh. Now I'm compelled to try others.

M: It was light bodied, smooth and moderately carbonated. It finished with a slight bitter aftertaste.

D: This was a very unremarkable beer. Nice light body, low ABV but no character or any feature (other than the packaging and that had limited utility) that made it a beer to remember. I expected "MUD" not diluted American Brown Ale mixed with an average lager.

2.99/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

2.99/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Nothing special

2.99/5  rDev -5.1%

A - Bottle looks like it's moonshine not beer, but when poured out, has a nice dark color to it.

S - Rather standard. Nothing that stands out, but still nothing offensive.

T - Pretty bland. Was expecting something better with the porter mix, but it was really just a dark lager.

M - Odd after taste. Made me want to gulp it quick.

O - For 3 bucks, the price can't be beat, but don't expect anything to high quality.

2.99/5  rDev -5.1%

Mississippi Mud Black & Tan from Mississippi Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 3.15 out of 5 with 1,196 ratings