Mississippi Mud Black & Tan | Mississippi Brewing Co.

Mississippi Mud Black & TanMississippi Mud Black & Tan

Mississippi Brewing Co.
New York, United States

Style: Black & Tan

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 10-15-2001

Reviews: 436 | Ratings: 1,156
3.08/5  rDev 0%

I have seen this crazy jug of beer multiple times in the past and finally decided to check it out. I read some of the other reviews here and wasn't expecting too much out of it, but all in all I thought it was fairly decent. First off, the jug is pretty outstanding. Got to really give this brewer some props on creativity with what looks like an earthenware jug.

I poured into a standard pint glass and got a thin head that left little to no lacing on the glass. The color is what got me. Very dark but still allowed light through, giving a dark reddish blackish color. It definitely looks appealing. Took a good smell of the beer and would say it smells like a fairly ordinary lager beer. Nothing really jumps out, no distinct hop aroma. Taste kind of lived up to the beer. It was good, but not great, more or less kind of nondescript. A slight roasty flavor, but no real discernible hop character. The bottle says it captures the true flavor of a black and tan, but I would a Guinness and Harp hand poured is much better.

This beer kind of amused me in a way. The look of the bottle and the name on it implies it is from Mississippi, but then you read that it is brewed it Utica, NY. A decent beer, nothing to go out of your way for, but might not be a bad option if you wanted a decent sized beer for a low price.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This beer pours a two-finger head that quickly recedes to one-quarter. I detect a very slight floral hop aroma. It is a very translucent medium brown and leaves a fair amount of lace on an empty glass. Lightly slick mouthfeel. It is heavy on the carbonation making the flavors which are more subtle than I expected difficult to perceive. I get a little caramel that finishes with a wisp of smoky grain. This is a chugger and should be something to savor if it truly conains any porter as this company claims is in the recipe. I think they are wasting their porter.

2.12/5  rDev -31.2%

Poured from 1 quart screw cap bottle from Trader Joes.

App- filtered, brown amber, off white head dissipates to a fine layer.

Smell- sweet, pils malt, roast malt, lots of caramel, one dimensional.

Taste- much worse than aroma, light caramel and astringent roasty malt. sweet, very mellow noble hop bitterness. poorly brewed, rough finish. thin taste.

Mouthfeel- thin, fine low/med carb.

Drinkability/overall- not very tasty. drinkable, but not for the taste. watery.

2.19/5  rDev -28.9%

HAS EVEN LESS TASTE THEN THE MUD ITS NAMED AFTER

Appearance: Looks like a glass of Coke. Right after its poured, it actually has a nice, brownish head which was a good two fingers high. The head took awhile to go down, and left some decent lacing. Unfortunately, this is the best part of the beer.

Smell: I caught some malt and caramel, but other then that no strong scents here. Can barely detect anything that I'd expect to find in a black and tan.

Taste: Smooth, in a watery way. Not too bitter. In fact not much taste at all. Chocolate notes are buried so deep you'd need a backhoe to find them. The only real taste here is watered down malt.

Mouthfeel: Feels like a mouthfull of half-flat soda. Has a fizzy, bubbleless feel to it. The decent sized head of the beer goes nowhere. Barely any aftertaste whatsoever.

Drinkability: This is not a good beer by any means, and unless you enjoy the taste of a half-assed black & tan, I'd recommend staying away from this one altogether. Spend your money on something better.

3.03/5  rDev -1.6%

Picked up a quart bottle on a whim and drank in a regular pilsner glass. Dark brown with a thick tan head. Smell was a bit musty with a touch of chocolate. Tasted like a weak porter to me with a bit of a bite at the finish. Just a nice drinking beer but nothing to get worked up about.

3.36/5  rDev +9.1%

Hands down the coolest looking bottle ive so far had the pleasure of pouring a beer from.

Poured a dark amber/brown color with almost 3 fingers of offwhite head with a somewhat aggressive pour, good blobs/spots of lacing down the glass. Smell.. malt, maybe a hint of caramel/coffee/chocolate. Tastes like a very light porter and pilsner i suppose, not alot of flavor going on at first but as you get half down the bottle the flavors become more apparent, and it leaves a nice light chocolate/coffee taste in the mouth. Its light-medium and creamy with mild carbonation. Overall its very drinkable and ill get this again as its a good price and not a bad beer at all, but certainly not the best example of a black and tan, though a pre-mixed black and tan never is.
Its a quart of some decent creamy brew in an awesome jug for about 3.99, give it a try.

1.7/5  rDev -44.8%

Piicked this up so cheap for about 3 bucks

the bottle looks very interesting but its plastic wrapped around plastic...not that cool.

A disgusting color of clear brown

S no smell none....what is this water

T not good tasted really unfresh. idk it was a drain pour after a few sips

M thin

D never again!

3.05/5  rDev -1%

Dark brown color, a brownish head that leaves a thin lace. A very good aroma, i thought taste was going to be good also... sweet malt, and chocolate (maybe) arises. But taste falls behind... you can percieve that chocolaty taste but it falls behind the taste of the light side of the beer. Its very fizzy. Its very drinkable, my girlfriend liked it, so that tells me its a soft beer.

Its an ok beer

3.23/5  rDev +4.9%

My first Black & Tan, I bought this one because it was relatively cheap and I'd heard good things. Pours a dark brown with a thing lasting head. Tastes like what it is: a mixture of pilsner and porter. I don't know if I should blame the beer or the style, but Mississippi Mud combines two opposites with unfavorable results. I want my porters thick and my pilsners thin, and by combining them this brew leaves me wanting more. Recommended to try, it isn't going to hurt your wallet too much, but there are better options.

Solid average beer IMO. I wouldn't drink it again. It's got an okay taste, but isn't anything like a black and tan. Much too thin, no body. I was expecting something a little hardier.

3.47/5  rDev +12.7%

A: Pours dark. Brown with a bit of red tint. Reddish tan head dissipates quick.

S: Sweet and malty. A little bit of chocolate but not much.

T: Not bad, actually. Nothing to write home about but what it does, it does well. There is definitely a lot of chocolate in the porter part but it sort of clashes with the skunk of the pilsner in a pleasant way.

M: Sort of weak, unfortunately. Thin, almost like Gatorade or something.

D: Definitely. There's really no bite to this beer, and, like it or not, that makes it very easy to drink a lot of.

The most boring beer ever. There is no porter in this, maybe a weak pilsener was used to wash out a weak brown ale, but there are no interesting flavors, it is the blandest beer I have ever drank, I think the Heinz corporation had something to do with this.

this is the closest bottled black and tan that i have had to the real black and tans done with a spoon. i give it a two thumbs up!!!

perfect color, creamy but also lager type taste. good head on it. best served at room temp!

i also like the bottle, its a pretty cool design and reminds me of the old moonshine bottles. this brew is pretty easily attainable. most package stores that have craft brews will have this.

2.69/5  rDev -12.7%

I picked this beer up mostly because of the interesting looking bottle and because I have never had a black & tan bottle before. Pours a clear amber with a thin brownish head that disappeared rather quickly. The smell was actually pretty good with plenty of malt and a bit of caramel sweetness.

Unfortunately the smell is probably the best part of this beer. The beer is basically very tasteless and has just a bit of malty aftertaste. Mouthfeel is also pretty boring with a very small amount of carbonation.

Not really a bad beer, but if I am going to drink a beer I will definitely not choose this one.

2.68/5  rDev -13%

If you could rate the bottle, it would get a 5 because it is sweet!

A: like you would expect, dark brown

S: almost nutty with a coffee like scent

T: pretty close to how it smells, roasted nutty and coffee

M: Slight carbonation with a tinny taste after... a creamy-ish feel

D: having tried a few different black and tans, I have officially decided, it is not my thing. Worth a try though and definitely worth it to have the bottle

2.77/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

If this were any pricier, I probably wouldn't have picked it up. But for the price, you can certainly do worse.

This brew pours a nice amber color with a fast dissolving tan head. Less carbonated than some pilsners, more carbonated than some porters, this combo combines elements of both decently well. The body is thin, and the malty, grainy flavor that is present isn't terribly strong or offensive. There is a light darkness present in the malt, but not much. What is present is a bit of black tea, caramel, and wood. The finish is lightly bitter, slightly dry, and doesn't linger.

Not a bad buy for $3.50 a quart, but not something I'm itching to buy again. The bottle presentation is pretty neat though, and it would be nice to bring to a picnic.

1.86/5  rDev -39.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I wanted to like this, I really did, but...

Pours a dark brown with a decent tan head which dissipates to a thin layer. This beer's look is the most positive thing I have to say about it. The smell is rather malty... okay, the smell is all malts. This beer tastes like someone took a semi-decent porter and mixed it half and half with sparkling water. Really, the smell indicates it is going to be a thick full beer, instead you get stingy thin swill. Mostly malts, but not a clean taste (I guess that should have been obvious by the name). Again, I really wanted to like this beer. Feels thin and bubbly in the mouth, not pleasant in my opinion, and I rate the drinkability at 1.5 because I can't imagine wanting another drop after I finish the 32 oz that I have. Try it if you must, avoid it if you can.

4.1/5  rDev +33.1%

From a 32oz jug into a glass mug. First time tasting this beer.

A- Dark brown ruby color. Brownish 1.5 finger creamy head, but fizzles to a 1/4 finger head. Lots of bubbles streaming up. Leaves a bit of lacing. Looks quite nice.

S- Roasted malts, raisins, a tinge of hops, dark coffee. Inviting.

T- Roasted malts up front, grassy hops, dark chocolate. It's bitter but has a very slight sweet note. Tastes like a brown ale, sort of like Newcastle. Leaves a bittersweet aftertaste.

M- Medium/light. The carbonation is light and not in your face. Very nice.

Drinkability- This is more of a "savor the taste" sort of beer. Not meant to be chugged. But it still has great drinkability.

O- Overall, this beer is pretty good. I kept eyeing it at the store for years and finally bought it today. It's enjoyable to drink it at night.

2.55/5  rDev -17.2%

Of the black and tans I've had this one left a bad taste in my mouth. Bought a case of it and had a hard time finishing it. Apperence was nice in the bottle and went down hill from there. As a dark beer, black and tan drinker I find this less apealing than most. Not awful though!!

2.37/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

This beer smells awful! It reminded me of the so-called "macro swill" that everyone drinks. Luckily it tasted better than it smelled, but it still doesn't taste great. I taste some hops towards the end of this one, but I can't place most of the other tastes. Overall, it reminds me more of the "tan" than the "black" in black and tan. I need to learn to stick to actual black and tans instead of trying to simulate it with this type of mixture beer.

Admit it--you bought it for the bottle! I know I did.

3.96/5  rDev +28.6%

A little something different. My first and I had no idea what to expect.

Its more Pilsner'ish then Porter'ish but I dont think thats by accident. When i was in England I was never a fan of mixing beers like this. I guess its my love for each type of beer that figures, "why mix"? But I dont regret buying MM and no doubt will again.

A fast Pilsner pour into a clear somewhat tan color makes for a pretty brew to look at. I enjoyed the smell a lot. Im getting grains and a bit of coffee in a smooth pilsner malt. The area around the glass has a light stout'ish aroma if you concentrate hard enough. Mild lacing with a disappointing head. A tad to carbonated me'thinks.

Refreshing taste with a slight dry bite, but missing the sensual after taste of a Porter. I'd be happier if the brew was a tad Portier and a tad less Pilsner'ee. But have no doubt Im enjoying this brew. "Just raised it to a 4.00 overall because its refreshes so well". Thanks no doubt to its Pilsner heritage. Im thinking Brats with a good mustard with this creation. Like at the WI. State fair with the awsome corn on the cob to boot. I remember the draft PBR that accompanied that. Mud would do even better.

So it could be muddier, but as a Pilsner fanatic, I wont be moving it to the "B" rack in the fridge. I recommend the Mud. Enjoy.

3.06/5  rDev -0.6%

poured into a mug of mine a dark red/brown color with 2 fingers of tan froth.

smells like coffee grinds, hints of chocolate. can't detect any hops.

pleasant coffee and chocolate taste, with a bit of metal and bitterness.

rich creamy and medium bodied.

Im workin my way through the quart easy enough, but 1 quart is enough.

overall pretty average, however the bottle is badass with a Alligator layin in some mud. cool

2.73/5  rDev -11.4%

Pours a subtle dark brown with a very thick, two-finger, foamy head that dissipates to a one-finger head rather quickly. The smell is sweet, like cocoa and coffee, but it is not particularly intense, much like the semi-porter it purports to be. The taste is, however, where things get disappointing: a somewhat low-quality burnt coffee taste that is quite bitter (and not in a good, hoppy sort of way). Despite that, the texture is rather smooth and drinkable in some quantity, and the aftertaste actually becomes somewhat sweet and not abrasive.

FourthBeer potential: LOW. Not the worst beer in the world, but for a beer that claims to be a combination porter and pilsner, it doesn't seem to have the best characteristics of either.

2.83/5  rDev -8.1%

Poured into a pilsner glass. Has a decent look to it. Deep reddish brown. Very little head on this one with very little lacing on the glass. The smell is similar to a stout, very big nose of burnt chocolate. Taste is not quite what you'd expect from the smell but you can definitely tell it falls into the black and tan category. Picking up some of the burnt chocolate taste, other than that it's relatively bland and bitter. Mouthfeel is rather bubbly considering there isn't really a whole lot of carbonation evident. Drinkability is average. could make a night out of drinking this but I think I'd probably get tired of it and want something else.

3.28/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Finally trying this at age 32.

Not sure what the bottle is supposed to represent, shape and color, but it looks fun.

Smell out of the bottle is malt.

Color resembles a Bock - red amber, filtered, with a tinge of brown.

Smell out of glass is a burnt smell.

Taste is definitely malty, with a bitter, smokey aftertaste.

Sourness dominates the mouthfeel.

This beer isn't bad, but definitely not a favorite.

Mississippi Mud Black & Tan from Mississippi Brewing Co.