Double Blue Eyed Moose | Main Street Brewery / Turoni's Pizza

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by heysuz on 03-18-2011

Reviews by heysuz:
3.75/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Intro: 64 oz. growler poured into a tulip glass. Shared with a friend.

Appearance: Dark Caramel color with ample tan colored head. Persistent lacing. Overall, a good looking, appealing beer.

Smell: Rich aroma with a blend of several hops, mild malts, and a slightly sweet floral nose.

Taste: Very good. Smooth creamy malts that give way to the crisp hoppy bite at the end.

Mouthfeel: Creamy but clean with a lingering hop bitterness that leaves you wanting more.

Overall: Very enjoyable ale. Goes down smooth and is a very good compliment to a good pizza or Stromboli

Conclusion: I order the Blue Moose every time we go there so when I ordered this time and the waiter asked if we wanted to try the Double Blue Moose, of course I said "Well, hell yeah!!" I hope they keep it around for a while. I've had 4 growlers now and plan to go get 2 more this weekend.

3.98/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Unpretentious!
Not much on the nose.
Dark toffee color.
Taste of reddish and toffee malt (but not exactly sweet), yet quite crisp.
Tall IBU but not a palate killer with juicy hops with piney finish and zesty aftertaste.
Brisk carbonation, sudsy almost, but in the best way.

Overall, great and drinkable, but tasty and complex enough without being pretentious. It's an everyman's DIPA!! But don't underestimate it.

Just wish there was more to the nose....

2.18/5  rDev -31.2%

I had this on-tap at the Main Street location during a recent family vacation.

Malt: English Maris Otter; Hops: American Cascade, Fuggles.

A: Not much head on the pour at all, amber in color, and with a slight chill haze.

S: I didn't get much of anything... maybe a bit of melted Astro Pop and a tinge of malt.

T: The booze started to stain the palate after the first sip in a very solvent sort of way. Also, I didn't get much grapefruit sizzle at all which was surprising. Not good.

M: One of the booziest concoctions in recent memory and much more brown sugary than anything. Low carbonation, but who cares....

O: I didn't care for this, however, it occured to me afterwards that if they had billed this as a Barleywine, I might have had a different set of expectation.

Double Blue Eyed Moose from Main Street Brewery / Turoni's Pizza