Kvasir | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

KvasirKvasir

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States | website

Style: Scottish Gruit / Ancient Herbed Ale

With the help of biomolecular archaeologist Dr. Patrick McGovern, we've re‐created another Ancient Ale, this time from the Nordic climes of Scandinavia.

The recipe for Kvasir was developed with the help of chemical, botanical and pollen evidence taken from a 3,500‐year‐old Danish drinking vessel. The vessel, made of birch bark, was found in the tomb of a leather‐clad woman Dr. Pat says was probably an upper-class dancer or priestess. The analysis pointed to the ingredients used in this unique brew: wheat, lingonberries, cranberries, myrica gale, yarrow, honey and birch syrup.

The base of Kvasir is a toasty red winter wheat, and the bog-grown berries deliver a pungent tartness. While a handful of hops is used, the earthy, bitter counterpunch to the sweet honey and birch syrup comes from the herbs.

Added by Jonada on 10-22-2013

Reviews: 105 | Ratings: 651
2.25/5  rDev -40%

On tap at Jose Pistola's, Philly, PA.

Orange-red color, good clarity, a few dishwater-like bubbles on top, but otherwise no head, and very little activity in the glass overall, indicative of low carbonation. In the nose, earthy wood, stale fruit, notes of cough syrup and solventy booze. I actually said *blech* when I took a sip of this. Rotten fruit, cranberry jam, cardboard, decomposing wood, a medicinal and almost vodka like booziness. Really messy, and the almost non-existent carbonation wasn't helping the mouthfeel either, which came off as slick and lifeless. Definitely couldn't drink this one, so I'm glad I only got a sample.

2.5/5  rDev -33.3%

Draft: Poured a reddish color ale with a medium size foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of berries and herbs is not the most enticing. Taste was also a weird mix between some berries notes, herbs with weird unrefined grainy notes. Body is light with good carbonation and no apparent alcohol. Interesting experiment but with such low drinkability I think I will avoid in the future.

2.75/5  rDev -26.7%

At first sip this played like a sour. The more I drank the more it seemed to open up. The cranberry is a bit more prominent than I'd like but I think that the subtle birch flavors play well with the fruit. Good body and quite smooth for how boozy it really is. I'm glad I made the purchase but I think one 25oz bottle will be enough for me.

2.91/5  rDev -22.4%

Pours a rich, clear cranberry with a one-finger, off-white head that quickly dissipates. Only aroma I could get was faintly honey; not liking honey, this isn't a perk. Tastes mostly like carbonated cranberry juice with a bit of honey and a touch of cough syrup. Not for me.

2.93/5  rDev -21.9%

750ml capped bottle into Tired Hands stemware. Shared by schen9303.

Pours a 2 finger light cream colored head with great retention. Beer is a clear strawberry red. Lacing is stringy and spotty with little stick. Great for the style.

Nose is tart raspberry and cranberry with notes of honey, spice and sugar. Some ginger and cinnamon too. Kind of awkward but I like it.

Opens cranberry and unripe raspberry. Cinnamon, rotting peat, soil and moss in the middle with more tart red fruit. Spice and pepper at the end mixed with honey, molasses and floral notes. Finishes filmy sweet red fruit with the same aftertaste. Really strange... and not in a good way.

Light bodied with moderate to low carbonation. Slick and filmy in the mouth and goes down slightly aggressive and warm. Finishes messy with a lingering aftertaste. Average.

I appreciate the innovation beer and this beer does start to grow on you after a little while. That being said, its still not nearly worth drinking considering the other offerings in the style.

2.98/5  rDev -20.5%

If you like tart and funky tasting beers, then this might be the one for you. I can deal with funk, but I don't particularly care for tart or sour flavors in my beer. The funk is kind of yeasty with some minor herbal notes.

I don't think this was a bad beer, but just not for me.

Split with duffextracold while watching reruns of Brewmasters (I now know why DFH beers are so pricey - they seemingly dump a stuck batch of beer every other episode).

Coppery pink color with wispy ring retention. Smells like cranberry and bread crust with a metallic copper element. Cranberry juice dominates the flavor profile with a little wheat bread and pollen must. I don't get much honey or birch syrup (never having had birch syrup I don't know that I would be able to identify it if it was obvious) but having brewed with cranberries before I'm assuming it's balance out the acidic tartness of the cranberry/lingonberry which is mild. Lingonberry is pretty much viking cranberry right?

I don't care for this beer in the sense of it being tasty and pleasing to drink. I love this beer in the sense that DFH allows me to take a journey back to fermented beverage history. Thanks for brewing.

3.17/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I did not detect as much cranberry as I had hope, but my old lady did.

There was more spice to me than anything else, but this ancient ale was far more satisfactory to me than others that DFH has concocted, namely Etrusca and Namaste.

3.18/5  rDev -15.2%

750ml bottle poured into a pair of large snifters. Bottled on 10/11/2013 08:24. Poured completely (so sediment will be included) at fridge temp, 41 F.

Now, after a little interruption (being bitten by a three year old), I shall resume my beer experience.

Pours a little cloudy brownish-orange with a medium sized head. Head fades fast. Medium amount of very slow, fine carbonation. Smell is fruity. Berries, cranberries. Smells more like juice than beer. Maybe a slight hint of yeast.

Taste is tart, very strong cranberry flavor, slight berry profile. Some lemony sourness. More like a juice than a beer again. Not bad.

Mouthfeel is fairly thin, a little watery. Fairly flat or still. Overall...more a juice than a beer. But not bad. Maybe something to surprise a friend who believes all beer tastes the same.

3.19/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Clear shiny amber with almost no head. Smells of cranberry, booze, and the medicine cabinet after a flood. Tastes of cranberry, herbal notes, sweet syrup, and warming booze. Light bodied with medium carbonation. Sweet but not very interesting. No reason to have more than once.

3.28/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

$ 18.99 ($ 14.99 + $ 4 shipping) for 25.4 oz ($ 0.751/oz) bottle from the Craft Shack
Bottled 08/05/15, served at 42 degrees into snifter, allowed to warm to 50 degrees
Aroma – slightly fruity, nothing distinct
Head average (Three cm, aggressive pour), light tan (looks dirty), frothy, diminishing to four mm ring and partial layer
Lacing poor – rare short leg of tiny bubbles
Body medium amber, cloudy
Flavor fruity, slightly sweet, with a medicinal bend; no malt, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate medium, slightly syrupy, soft carbonation

Appearance 3.25, Aroma 3.25, Flavor 3.25, Palate 3.5, Overall 3.25

3.33/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours a pale, slightly orangeish color with incredible head and pretty darn good lacing. Aroma of light cranberry and sweet malt. Taste is predominantly cranberry with other tart berries, raw sugar and some cold, sweet malt. Balance is decent and mouthfeel is amazing........

3.33/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I figured this was a kvass stye beer when I bought it due to the name, but the label doesn't explicitly identify it as a specific style. Reviewed generically as an "ancient ale." 10% ABV confirmed. 750ml brown glass bottle with appealing label art and branded red colour pry-off pressure cap acquired at me local CO bottle shop and served into an EKU 28 stem-snifter as Dogfish Head recommends a snifter as the ideal glass for this beer. Reviewed live. Expectations are above average; I'm not a big Dogfish Head fan but this sounds interesting.

Served cold - straight from the fridge - and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a two finger wide head of pinkish white colour. Nice creaminess and thickness. Good even smooth consistency. Complexion could be softer. It's not too airy or fluffy. Head retention is good for the ABV - about 4-5+ minutes. Uneven inconsistent spotty lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

Body colour is a clear translucent transparent orange-red of above average vibrance. Stunning clarity. It's quite clean; no floating yeast particles/sediment is visible.

Definitely not a kvass. It's appealing overall, but not unique or special. There are no egregious flaws here. An intriguing appearance.

Sm: Birch, depleted honey, vague unidentifiable berries, nebulous herbs, and a hint of cranberry. It's got a nicely subtle sweetness suggestive of good balance. Some might argue it's medicinal, and I can see that, but I find the aroma appealing and intriguing. It's not quite unique, but it's certainly uncommon. Pleasant. It's a change of pace. My interest is piqued.

No yeast character or alcohol is detectable (not too shabby at 10%). Aroma is of below average strength.

T: Hm. The cranberry is very subtle almost to the point where I wonder if I'm only picking up on it because I'm looking for it. The body is a hard-to-describe balanced collection of oddities: light hints of herbal notes, wisps of unidentifiable berry/bright fruit (for the record, I have no idea what in fuck's name lingonberry is), and honey. I don't find any birch syrup in the build. There are some tea-evocative notes that I can't quite place. Has a kiss of red apple towards the back end. The foundation is hard to pin down; I'd guess it's a mix of Belgian pale malts and American amber malts. I expected a lot of earthiness, but it's actually a really clean build - there isn't even any yeast character here. Certainly cohesive, but not quite gestalt. It's also pretty tame for the ABV; the sweetness hides the alcohol and none of the flavours are real bold or aggressive.

The highlight here is the very light tartness; I could use far more of that.

I do like it. Below average depth and intensity of flavour. Average duration of flavour. Above average subtlety. It's complex enough, and has some intricacy. I wouldn't call it special or nuanced, but there's a case to be made that it's somewhat unique.

Mf: Smooth and surprisingly light on the palate. Great balance of dryness/smoothness, with just enough dryness to coax out the next sip but enough wetness to keep it semi-refreshing. It has a good clean presence, with only slight overcarbonation. Full-bodied.

Not oily, gushed, hot, boozy, astringent, biting, rough, or scratchy.

Texture suits the flavour profile well in a general sense, but doesn't feel custom-tailored specifically to it.

Dr: Very drinkable for the high ABV. If I had this blind, I'd probably guess it was around 8%. I'll easily kill the entire bottle alone. I wouldn't even call this a sipper. It slides down real easy. It's far from amazing, but it's nice to have a Dogfish Head beer that doesn't make me regret my purchase for once. That said, I wouldn't get it again. Might be interesting aged. I expected another lame gimmicky brew from Dogfish Head, but this is actually fairly interesting and worth trying once. I wouldn't turn friends away from it. My biggest criticism is that it's too timid for its own good.

Could pair well with cranberry salad.

Drinks about as well as it can out of a snifter.

Low B-

3.43/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Another one of these DFH weird beers, part beer, part archeology experiment.

Clear amber ale with a small tan colored head. There is a distinct redness to this beer probably from the berries used.

Smells mildly sweet and of berries and spice. Faint cranberry and the scent of spruce. Slightly earthy and musty scent something like a bog. Slight citrus aroma, wondering if they used spruce boughs in this somewhere.

Starts out slightly sweet and sour with one hell of a sharp aftertaste. Sharp as in you taste it and then it is gone. Slight sour aftertaste. Slight sensation of alcohol warmth in the stomach but you can't taste it. This leaves behind the distinct question of just what the heck am I drinking? with every taste. Very mild flavors, this reminds me of a a very dry mead a bit.

Mouthfeel is light.

Overall this is interesting, but not what I would call beer.

3.45/5  rDev -8%

Live review. Poured from the 1 pint, 9.4 fl. oz bottle that I bought at Save-On Tobacco & Beverage in Mentor, Ohio for $11.99 a few weeks ago. “Bottled on 10/11/2013 0858” stamped on the neck of the bottle.

A Huge 4 inch light brown head that lingers for 3 to 4 minutes over a nice translucent copper body. Really, it looks like a translucent shiny new penny! I like the generous a long lasting head 4.0

S Hmm…berries, spices, maybe some grains and some malt sweetness but no hops bitterness detected by my nose. Certainly interesting and as I repeat some sniffs I am reminded of how dynamic DFH can be. What a great brewery to demonstrate so many different styles and attempt so many interesting beers! 4.0

T Ok…my first impression is actually a surprise to me. The taste is very brief! It disappears within a second or two. I had to repeat sips to make note of some brief sweet, tart berries along with some spices. There is just a thin syrupy film left in the aftertaste which is the sweet berries. Wow, this is a “quick” tasting beer. What I do not taste nearly at all is the 9.0% ABV. It is really hidden well. Certainly interesting but a little bit of a mystery, really. 3.5

M Thin, of course (see comments in taste section) and probably too thin for me. I would have preferred a more thorough mouthfeel, a longer lasting feel if you will. 2.5

D/O Drinkability is alright but the elevated ABV, price tag and all too brief taste would drive the drinkability down for me. Overall an interesting and challenging beer but not one that I would likely return to. 3.0

Notes: Again, Bravo to DFH for pushing limits of beer and seemingly to always try new things. DFH Kvasir is an acquired taste in a beer.

3.46/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: I was hoping to see a fair amount of red in the body, but it was pretty much just a typical orange-brown. There was quite a bit more head than I expected, of a beige color, though only a bit of lacing of which to speak.

S: Predominant flavor is sweetness and a bit of tartness from red fruit, namely, dem cranberries. Honey and alcohol are also apparent, and there is a hint of something a little smoky, or perhaps sage-like.

T: Starts off with slightly sweet and muted red fruit flavors - perhaps the lingonberries? The taste becomes much more intense mid-palate, with that odd smokiness interplaying with tartness from the cranberries, and a bit of sweetness as well. The end is more of the same, with a medium-length aftertaste involving a bit of sage.

M: I don't really know what mouthfeel would best suit this beer. As is, it's a bit on the heavier side, with medium carbonation.

O: Better than some of their other ancient ales, but still nothing to write home about. Midas Touch and Sahti, if that's technically one of their ancient ales, are still far and away the best they've made in this category.

3.48/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

On-tap 1/9/2015 at Track 84, in Warwick, RI, served in a tulip glass.

A: The beer is a deep golden brown color, with a thin off-white head that fades quickly and leaves very little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains caramelized malts, herbs, some fruit and a touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with some tartness that is quickly followed by some herbs and spices. Then some mild sweetness comes in from flavors of caramel and fruit. There is also a significant alcohol sting. The hops presence is very mild but brings a decent balance. The after-taste is slightly tart.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, medium body, light carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: A little tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, strong kick, decent representation of style, just another eccentric DFH beer that is nice to try but not something I would want to drink consistently.

3.49/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Red-orange amber color with a persistent ring of foam. Lacing is nil.

Bitter orange, cranberry, dark honey, toffee malts (birch syrup), and herbal notes. Smells a little syrupy.

Lingonberry sweetness meets cran tartness. Dark honey, like buckwheat honey, accentuates the birch syrup and herbal bitterness. No hops in the nose, but I get an herbal note from small doses of hops in the flavor. Tastes a little too sweet and birchy. I wish there was a more vigorous carbonation to cut it back, because the body feels thick and staunch.

Just another Dogfish Head fruit beer. Features the tart berries and captures that tartness at a minor level. Not very special, in actuality. Could be considered skippable amongst others in their lineup.

3.5/5  rDev -6.7%

pours a peachy amber, with a large soapy head that stays around. nose; a tart & fruit/cranberry sweetness. taste; sharp berry & grape must, cranberry sweets, honey and finishes tart & semi-dry. reminds me a bit of a sour, but much more drinkable. the 10% is amazingly well hidden. another dogfish head ancient ale with an exotic ingredient list that makes an.... eh, interesting "one and done" experience.

3.5/5  rDev -6.7%

P: 750ml bottle into a DFH signature glass.

A: Ruby brown with a huge creamy light tan head. Tons of lacing that remains throughout the glass.

S: Sugary berries, honey and some bready malt. An ever-so-faint licorice like aroma creeps in but it's an aroma that is tough to place, I'm guessing it's the birch syrup. The honey aroma becomes much more discernible as the beer warms in the glass, as does the alcohol.

T: Interesting comes to mind after taking the first sip. As with quite a few of the "Ancient Ales" from Dogfish, it doesn't really taste like beer. It's quite sweet with a pronounced tart fruit flavor from the cranberries and cranberry juice. The bitterness is very earthy but once again, it's not something I can place specifically. It seems odd to say but this beer has an "old" flavor to it, not as in bad or stale but you know it's not a modern recipe.

M: Moderate body with moderately high carbonation, syrupy. Lots of small tingly bubbles.

O: I find the Ancient Ale's from DFH to be a lot of fun, for better or worse. Never knowing what to expect from any standpoint is my main attraction to these beers. I'd say Kvasir is a hit in comparison to several of the others but perhaps not one of the top tier brews from the series. I really think any of these beers are worth a try and Kvasir is one that I could see myself buying again, like Theobroma, Sah'tea or Birra Etrusca. Worth a go for sure.

3.52/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

-Ancient ale brewed with lingonberry, cranberry, birch syrup, honey, cranberry juice and herbs. Bottled 3/12/13. Consumed 2/14/14.

A: Coppery orange with some cranberry hints for coloring. Glass consuming effervesce fills the vessel within with a steadfast rate. A crowning head of 2 inches sits atop with a light tan color and a creamy whipped consistency staying with good retention. Spongy-dab lacing, light coverage rate.

S: The aroma was of sasafras, rootbeer, sweet honey and birch syrup. Some cola, fresh herbs mix with a light finish of dry earthy birch bark.

T: Flavor was tart cranberry, honey sweetness, and birch. The cranberry is rather tart, forefront, with some musky herbs. Hints of sweet grapes, im guessing the lingoberry which im unfamiliar with. Final thoughts of lemon, sage and some bubblegum sweetness.

M: Mouthful was tart, viscose with lots of carbonation dacining on the tongue.

O: Overall sweet honey and tart cranberry, Unique, but more of a cranberry beer then anything. A bomber could lead to quite the struggle once the novelty wears off. For the record i picked this up from a local store which had 20 bombers on closeout at $3.98. A price always worth a curious buy when it comes to dogfish head, but dont expect to be knocked over. I understand the experimental aspect, but overall if i didnt know what i was drinking in a blind taste test, i probably wouldnt be to impressed.

3.52/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Tasted at Good Beer Festival in Salisbury, MD. I will admit that I didn't take copious notes, but this was not a standout. The 10.00% ABV can cover up a lot of transgressions, but "cherry/cranberry tart" is not one of them. Plus I really don't particularly like cranberries. Once you strip those two away, there's not much left of this beer.
Maybe I'm just not into sours, but this one sis not do anything for me.

3.54/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer was poured into a tumbler at about 40 degrees.

Appearance - a slightly cloudy, bronze colored brew. Definite hints of reddish color. Carbonation was lively, and an aggressive pour produced half a glass of foam that quickly fell to a cap. Some cling.

Smell - honey is right in the forefront on this beer. Then some herbal aromas that I will assume are from the yarrow and other herbs used in this concoction. I don't know specifically what these things smell/taste like, but suffice to say there are herbal/floral smells. I get a faint fruit in the aroma, and a wheat/biscuit undercurrent. Very mild fruit/berry note on the nose.

Taste - honey and sweetness on the initial taste. The honey is dominant but somehow fails to overwhelm. There are herb-like flavors (again, assume they are what they claim), and not too much in the way of actual berry or cranberry flavor. Since this beer is an ancient ale, supposedly 3500 years old, not sure how cranberries would be in the recipe since true cranberry is a native North American fruit, but OK it has some red berry flavor. There is a significant bitter punch to this beer that subsides quickly to be replaced by a sensation of sweetness (not sticky) and the phenolic mouth feel characteristic of cranberries. I get a sensation that reminds of of a gose - I swear there is a sense of saltiness. There is a mild tartness thanks to the berries. It is an interesting, if somewhat jumbled, combination of flavors.

The mouthfeel - this is where I get more of a sense of the berries. Not so much the flavor, but the "phenolic" feeling cranberry imparts to the tongue (I work with them every day). The acidity reinforces that. The 10% doesn't hide, but it is not obtrusive, either. The beer is light bodied, a bit of carbonation tingle, dry and astringent on the finish.

I like the ancient ales in general as much for the story as the beer, and this one is no exception. But love or hate, they are an experience. This one was a good experience - not great, but enjoyable enough. I don't think it can be judged to style - nobody alive knows what this brew actually was, but gruit is probably as close as it gets and it fits the rather loose definition, maybe a bit loosely. It's not a smooth drinker, but it does contain enough interesting highlights to make it worth a try for the slightly adventurous.

3.54/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 750mL into a snifter, the beer is a rose tinted copper coloring, slightly hazed and bright, with a frothy, filmy, off-white head. Aromas of cranberry and raspberry, but concentrated like they have been boiled for jam, with toasted grains and a kick of booze. Flavors are tart forward, with cranberry in the forefront, a subtle rich sweetness of honey, roast characteristics, woody notes, and a hint of booze. Bold, robust bodied, but it remains thin enough to be drinkable. The aftertaste is roasted and richly tart, with a subtle warmth building. Tangy fruit sweetness lingers into a thin, slick finish.

3.56/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sample while checking out the expo at HomeBrewCon.
Slightly hazy light copper color with a decent off white head. Tart berries light earthy herbal something to counter. Weird for sure but it kind of works.

Kvasir from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery