Kvasir | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: Scottish Gruit / Ancient Herbed Ale

With the help of biomolecular archaeologist Dr. Patrick McGovern, we've re‐created another Ancient Ale, this time from the Nordic climes of Scandinavia.

The recipe for Kvasir was developed with the help of chemical, botanical and pollen evidence taken from a 3,500‐year‐old Danish drinking vessel. The vessel, made of birch bark, was found in the tomb of a leather‐clad woman Dr. Pat says was probably an upper-class dancer or priestess. The analysis pointed to the ingredients used in this unique brew: wheat, lingonberries, cranberries, myrica gale, yarrow, honey and birch syrup.

The base of Kvasir is a toasty red winter wheat, and the bog-grown berries deliver a pungent tartness. While a handful of hops is used, the earthy, bitter counterpunch to the sweet honey and birch syrup comes from the herbs.

Added by Jonada on 10-22-2013

1.74/5  rDev -53.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

09/23/2014

Aroma: Sour fruit,
Appearance: Reddish orange Clear look.
Taste: tart cranberries, orange rind.
Feel: Flat.

Not a fan.

1.75/5  rDev -53.2%

2.25/5  rDev -39.8%

On tap at Jose Pistola's, Philly, PA.

Orange-red color, good clarity, a few dishwater-like bubbles on top, but otherwise no head, and very little activity in the glass overall, indicative of low carbonation. In the nose, earthy wood, stale fruit, notes of cough syrup and solventy booze. I actually said *blech* when I took a sip of this. Rotten fruit, cranberry jam, cardboard, decomposing wood, a medicinal and almost vodka like booziness. Really messy, and the almost non-existent carbonation wasn't helping the mouthfeel either, which came off as slick and lifeless. Definitely couldn't drink this one, so I'm glad I only got a sample.

2.3/5  rDev -38.5%

Disappointed overall. Taste was something I personally couldn't get over.

2.5/5  rDev -33.2%

Draft: Poured a reddish color ale with a medium size foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of berries and herbs is not the most enticing. Taste was also a weird mix between some berries notes, herbs with weird unrefined grainy notes. Body is light with good carbonation and no apparent alcohol. Interesting experiment but with such low drinkability I think I will avoid in the future.

2.75/5  rDev -26.5%

At first sip this played like a sour. The more I drank the more it seemed to open up. The cranberry is a bit more prominent than I'd like but I think that the subtle birch flavors play well with the fruit. Good body and quite smooth for how boozy it really is. I'm glad I made the purchase but I think one 25oz bottle will be enough for me.

2.84/5  rDev -24.1%

2.89/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.91/5  rDev -22.2%

Pours a rich, clear cranberry with a one-finger, off-white head that quickly dissipates. Only aroma I could get was faintly honey; not liking honey, this isn't a perk. Tastes mostly like carbonated cranberry juice with a bit of honey and a touch of cough syrup. Not for me.

2.93/5  rDev -21.7%

750ml capped bottle into Tired Hands stemware. Shared by schen9303.

Pours a 2 finger light cream colored head with great retention. Beer is a clear strawberry red. Lacing is stringy and spotty with little stick. Great for the style.

Nose is tart raspberry and cranberry with notes of honey, spice and sugar. Some ginger and cinnamon too. Kind of awkward but I like it.

Opens cranberry and unripe raspberry. Cinnamon, rotting peat, soil and moss in the middle with more tart red fruit. Spice and pepper at the end mixed with honey, molasses and floral notes. Finishes filmy sweet red fruit with the same aftertaste. Really strange... and not in a good way.

Light bodied with moderate to low carbonation. Slick and filmy in the mouth and goes down slightly aggressive and warm. Finishes messy with a lingering aftertaste. Average.

I appreciate the innovation beer and this beer does start to grow on you after a little while. That being said, its still not nearly worth drinking considering the other offerings in the style.

2.94/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

2.98/5  rDev -20.3%

If you like tart and funky tasting beers, then this might be the one for you. I can deal with funk, but I don't particularly care for tart or sour flavors in my beer. The funk is kind of yeasty with some minor herbal notes.

I don't think this was a bad beer, but just not for me.

2.99/5  rDev -20.1%