Chicory Stout | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: American Stout

Availability: Fall

Chicory was one of the first beers we started brewing at our pub back when it opened in 1995. It's a dark beer made with a bunch of roasted chicory, organic Mexican coffee, St. John's Wort and licorice root. We use whole-leaf Cascade and Fuggle hops, as well as pale, roasted and oatmeal grains.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-06-2001

Ratings: 3,376 |  Reviews: 1,376
3.35/5  rDev -10.7%

Pours nearly opaque, with some deep ruby highlights near the bottom of the pint, from a 12oz bottle. The 2 finger beige head exhibits god retention and leaves behind some sticky lacing.

The smell offers some malt and coco, but is especially strong with coffe, cayene pepper, and charred wood. The taste features that malt and coco, coffee, wood, burnt grain, and a hint of sweetness from the chicory.

The mouth is medium-bodied, lighter than I was expecting, nor as complex. It's dry and grainy on the finish. Overall, it was decent, but not as well balanced or as bold as I would have liked.

3.9/5  rDev +4%

I am from New Orleans and chicory is commonly used in our coffee down here. Chicory is a root that when grinded down into powder is added to coffee for its bitterness and preservative qualities. I have always been impressed with Dog Fish Head and when I saw that they had a Chicory Stout I just had to try the beer. I had this one out of a 12oz bottle and it pours near black in color with a light tan colored head. The taste is wonderful and has a coffee/espresso note. I found that this beer improves in flavor and drinkability as it warms up a little. I recommend taking one out of the fridge about 5-10 minutes before drinking so that it is not as cold when served. I was very impressed by this stout and highly recommend it to anyone. The only reason that I rated the drinkability as a 3.5 is that I personally feel that the unique flavor of this beer is captured by drinking only one bottle....one evening I had two of these in a row and I found by the second bottle that the flavor was not as enjoyable.Overall, a very good and unique stout! Cheers!

3.85/5  rDev +2.7%

A - Dark black coffee with tanish lightly foaming head with oily lacing down the glass.
S - Roast coffee, slight vanilla, dark over-ripened fruits.
T - iced coffee, toffee, a hint of sweet dark honey and mild fruity esters. A nice assertive hop bitterness cleans the palette and adds a little zing for the taste buds.
M - a little sharp and acidic, but I think this helps to keep it from becoming too thick and cloying.
D - I guess this style is like a coffee stout, but there is a nice crispness here and easy drinkability with this one. At 5.2% abv I could definitely see drinking a couple, even though this is not my main session beer style. I like that DFH doesn't have to blow everyone's mind to make a good, solid offering as well.

3.38/5  rDev -9.9%

The dark color leaves no doubt about the style: stout. It's dark, a bit thick, and forms a brief head upon pouring into my Samuel Smith glass. The aroma is of dark malts, bittersweet chocolate, and coffee.

It has a nice taste, mostly of coffee, but with a bit of fruity sweetness and a hoppy finish. The chicory can be found here, but it's certainly not overwhelming! A bit of smokiness provides interest, especially in the finish. Overall, a nice flavor.

I found the texture to be a little lean for a stout. Perhaps this is more characteristic of the American Stout style? The carbonation is just enough for my taste.

3.83/5  rDev +2.1%

Petes99 recommended this to me… I like it a lot and would recommend it to anyone looking for an easy drinking stout, maybe to those who think Guinness is a bit too bitter. Nice stout (not too bitter) with a bit of coffee flavor. Not too heavy, either. I'll certainly buy it again. Nice work, Petes99.

3.77/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours with a nice frothy tan head; dark brown liquid with an ambient orange glow at the perimeter. A sweet smell of vanilla, caramel, and chocolate balanced out by the hint of floral hops. Taste starts out with a dry bitterness ushered in by dark chocolate, coffee and hops, then moves towards buttery and ends up somewhat medicinal with molasses and a vague sour note in the finish. Carbonation is a bit sharp on the palate. A worthy session beer if nothing else.

3.85/5  rDev +2.7%

12oz. bottle into Imperial pint glass.

Appearance: dark brown/black with a coffee-colored head that sticks. Garnet when held up to light.

Smell: Malt, roasted barley, some coffee, and a vague licorice note.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Full-bodied roasty, yet somewhat sweet stout. I can taste the chicory, but the coffee blends in with the roasted malt. Hop presence is rounded out with licorice and chicory notes. Could be a bit thicker, but on the whole very nice.

Drinkability: It's a bit heavier than your garden variety pale lager, but still very drinkable as stouts go.

3.41/5  rDev -9.1%

AP: Extremely Dark brown...near black. Brown-mocha head, frothy at first, then becones thin and fizzes out pretty fast. Very bubbly and active. The "eye" of the head is very bubbly while the rest of the head is totally gone except for a ring around the very edge.

Nose: Dark chocolate, roasty coffee and mellow-sweet malt.

Taste: Coffee like bitterness, rpasy and smokey malt flavors with a sour-leafy hop effect at the very end. This sour and bitterness would be balanced out well if the malt was classic DFH sweeeet.

MF: The feel is rather thin for a dark stout. The Carbonation is very high so it feel very active but the head didn't stick around long enough to feel the "smooth" effect that really great stouts have.

DA: At 5.2% abv this should be a highly drinkable stout but it is hindered by the sour and bitter dominated flavor.

3.92/5  rDev +4.5%

This is a stout. No need to delve into its looks too much. Dark, nice tan head, you get the picture.

The smell is a really nice balance of baking chocolate and coffee, with a slight floral hint. A medium body and a bit of smoothness is what this one offers up in the mouth. The taste is a nice mellow blend of coffee, smooth chocolate, some buttery flavors, and some nutty roasted flavoring. The hop presence is pretty mild, which really lets the roasted flavors come through. The aftertaste gets a bit dryer as the beer comes along, and it is probably my least favorite aspect of it. Aside from that, the taste is very nice in my opinion. This is a tasty mild coffee drink.

I'd be good for a bomber of this at a time. I was fortunate to pick this case up for under $20 as it was 'expired'. I say the age did nothing but warm and mellow the flavors.

A: Pours a deep deep brown almost black with a caramel colored one finger frothy head. Good retention with line lacing.
S: Chocolate and burnt coffee malt notes mixed in with a deep fruit sweetness. As it warms coffee notes become more noticeable.
T/M: Interesting blends of dark fruit, coffee, and unsweetend chocolate. Bitterness is noticeable in the aftertaste and in the slighly dry finish. Good creamy mouthfeel with a milkyness to it. That milkyness pulls to the front of the mouthfeel as it warms. Very smooth across the palate.
D: Prett decent stout--worth a try if you can get one. Not going to blow you away---pretty solid.

4.05/5  rDev +8%

The pour was pitch black with a two finger head that slowly dissapated and left thin beige head and nice lacing on the glass throughout the drink.

The smell was heavy in caramel, coffee, and hop spice. It was a quite interesting mix of smells.

The drink started with a smooth, sweet caramel flavor followed by a hit of coffee flavor and a quick kick of hop spice with a lingering sweet caramel flavor.

All and all an excellent stout. Quite flavorful, thick tasting, and refreshing. Worth a try!

3.57/5  rDev -4.8%

From months old notes…

Dark brown, maybe it is black in hue but there are definite faint ruby highlights around the edges. Beige foam, at the apex the head was only a sliver of a finger tall and then the bubbles quickly faded to a thin collar. In other words, the head retention was awful. There was no subsequent lacing. Hell, every aspect of the head was lousy. Good thing the body looks good.

I’m going to say something very stupid. The nose is kind of cliché. I realize that is stupid because this beer has been around awhile and other breweries no doubt copied the DFH formula. I’m mean, I’ve smelled espresso stouts before; besides, this beer doesn’t even focus on the coffee. I digress (did I have a point?). I really like the aromas, chocolate and plenty of it! It is yum; hints of caramel and molasses with a lovely finish of coffee. Where is the chicory? Anyway, I can’t help but like the nose. It smells like a really good stout. Inviting!

The palate is much more restrained then I’d expect. Lightly roasted malt, hints of coffee with a chocolate background, and, well, not much else. Odd. There is a decent beginning, a respectable middle but no really punctuation for the finish. I like the flavors presented, the coffee is simple but charming, the chocolate hints are welcoming and the overall “stout”/malty vibe is solid. The alcohol is hidden. So is the chicory. Where is the ale fruitiness? Some hops would be cool too. This beer tastes good but there is nothing too it. I’m surprised at the simplicity.

Medium in body, low but natural carbonation, the mouthfeel is far from special; in fact the mouthfeel is very boring. Dry, simplistic aftertaste (it is a blend of chocolate and coffee but it totally lacks depth). It is what it is, I guess.

This beer is likable in the moment but forgettable over the long run. I love a good “flavored” stout but this one does little for me. Have I become jaded? Would this beer have rocked my world four years ago? I really wonder. Maybe all the praise (well-derived of course) for DFH has skewed my reality of this beer (I don’t think so). Like I’ve said, this is a good stout but it is nothing I’d seek out. Sure, I’d drink it again but I can say that about thousands of beers. Average isn’t charming. Nevertheless, I need to thank either hoffman or RedHaze for the bottle. Sorry, mates I can’t remember who gave it to me. Both you guys rock.

4.49/5  rDev +19.7%

This black brew has only the slightest deep purple hue when held to the light. Topping this dark beer is a 1/2 finger Yoohoo colored head that reduces to a collar within a few minutes and dissapearres entirely after a few more. Leaves a bit of chocolate milk lacing on the glass at first, then nothing.

This smells very unique! Toasted marshmallow s'mores, rootbeer candy, strong coffee, milk chocolate, dark chocolate, Count Chocula cereal. Man o man! The list goes on! There is alot of complexity in this deeply aromatic bouquet!

Wow. The taste is on par with the nose! I taste chicory coffee with deep chocolate undertones. The initial espresso and chicory bitterness is supported by chocolatey malts and a smokey-earthy-peaty flavor comes later. I really like the roasty firewood flavor! Great for BBQ's and fall bonfires!

Mothfeel is on the thin side, carbonation is good, and drinkability is off the scale. This is one of the top stouts in America IMO.

The unique and powerful flavor of this masterpeice may not appeal to everyone, but for coffee and chocolate lovers like me....this is heaven in a bottle

3.92/5  rDev +4.5%

Appearance: Very black in color, little tan head.

Smell: Roasted malts, mostly coffee, a bit of dark chocolate.

Taste: The malts and coffee flavors seem to work ok with each other as they should but something seems a tad off or unbalanced. The taste is good and certianly good enough to enjoy but its nothing mind blowing.

Mouthfeel: Medium in body.

Drinkability: You can throw them back if you enjoy them.

Overall it was a good beer, slightly out of balanced maybe but good. With so many great stouts out there, I doubt I will revisit this often but I'll give it another whirl down the road.

3.55/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I found this one fairly disappointing, having enjoyed so many of the other Dogfish Head beers that I've tried. Appearance is jet-black, with a one-finger head that is anything than the "bone white" described on the label - definitely more tan in color. Some lacing. Smell was weak at first, but improved as it warmed: roasted coffee, chocolate, and a hint of smoke. Taste is predominantly roasty, little in the way of hop character, with a distinctly smoky character that a friend said reminded him of bacon - not a descriptor you often hear for beer! As for mouthfeel, full body and good carb for style. Drinkability was moderate.

3.38/5  rDev -9.9%

From a glass, poured out of a 12 oz. bottle.

Small, one-finger head rocky at first, reducing to tiny, oily-looking bubbles, a shade lighter than tan. Eventually dissapears to nothing, leaving no trace on the glass. The body itself is wonderfully dark, not even opaque when held to a light. Slightly lighter than black... I'd say the same color as the bottle from which it came.

Smells like smoked maple/mahogony chips or something comparable. A few traceable notes of sugars, carmel, ousted by spiced coffee bean. After airing out for awhile, some hops push through. The smell makes me think of roasting barley.

Immediately taste the roast, unsweetened chocolate and (as the bottle characterizes it) Mexican Coffee. It's like I opened a woodchip-burning grill and caught a quick taste of smoke. Some syrup pushes through, ending with carmel.

Very oily, buttery mouthfeel. Gives me the impression that there's an oil encasing the substance of the beer.

Not a tremendous brew, not very complex. The flavours get offensive after too long, and leave a ground coffee bean and grassy bitterness in my mouth as a reminder. Although, it answered the question: what does chickory taste like?

4.3/5  rDev +14.7%

Appearance: Good looking stout, body is near black, letting a little light through revealing a dark maroon body. Head is creamy and tan, lacing is moderate.

Smell: Roasted grains in the nose, rich and chocolatey.

Taste: Strong maltiness, the roasted aspects are big (the coffee adds to this), with chocolate smoothing it out. Very nice. Aftertaste has an odd vegetable flavor, but this beer is above average.

Drinkability: A sessionable and enjoyable Stout, it would be nice to have this available locally. Thanks to Lrrr for the bottle from These Go to 11 BIF.

3.7/5  rDev -1.3%

Chicory Stout: "A rich, dark brew smoothed out with a touch of roasted chicory and organic mexican coffe. The goodness beneath a bone white head." Chicory is used as a substitute ingredient for coffee. It has been grown since the Middle Ages and contains 'inulin' which is used as a sweetener and can be converted to fructose and glucose.

4.07/5  rDev +8.5%

I was unsure of what to expect with this one. I can, however, report that I was very pleased, indeed. It poured absolutely black, allowing NO light to pass through. Head was about a finger thick and lasted all of 30 seconds or so. After it faded away, it left sticky, sand coloured lacing stuck to the sides of the glass. Looks wonderful. There's is no question the there is coffee present here. I'm not exactly sure what the chicory is, but there is certainly a faint burnt wood aspect to the smell, as well. I am very pleased so far. Taste starts of with bitter chocolate and coffee beans, and then turns sweeter toward the middle. It then seems to finish rather abruptly with a certain dryness to it, where it deploys the burnt wood flavour in your mouth. A bit light for the style, I thought. Overall, however, quite good.

3.95/5  rDev +5.3%

12oz. bottle

Pours a rich black color with a mocha head that thins. Mild lacing on the glass.

Aroma of rich rosated malts and coffee with a hint of cocoa.

A bold coffee and roasted malt blend come at you first. This is followed by some light chocolatey tones as it finishes rather cleanly.

Light body, mild carbonation.

A nice drinking stout, always a good choice when in the mood.

3.78/5  rDev +0.8%

Black with an short off-white head. Smells of roasted grains and a bit of coffee. The taste was initally overpoweringly bitter. I ventured further and got more complexity out of the bitter grains, as well as the coffee/chicory. If you're looking for a dry and bitter stout, look no further. At a glance the stuff just tastes burnt, but it really is wonderfully complex and refreshing. Mouthfeel is a bit dry, and has a bit of a champagn feel. Drinkability is medium/low, despite the average abv, mainly because it's just so robust. Overall, a real nice stout.

4.32/5  rDev +15.2%

NOT YOUR AVERAGE STOUT. Normally I like my dark beer strong, and this ones not but it doesn't matter. The beer is very dark in color with a white almost mother of pearl head. The beer tingles as it goes down, it has an almost champagne quality! unheard of in a stout as far as I know. It is a bit spicy and has notes of coffee, goes great with a chocolate desert. It is also a very refreshing beer with a medium body, it goes down very easy. This is a dark-horse unconventional stout as far as I'm concerned, try it out!

3.84/5  rDev +2.4%

Truly a dark beer (opaque and almost black), the Dogfish Head Chicory Stout pours with a head the color of coffee ice cream. Indeed, "coffee" must be a key word in any review of this beer, as that's the smell that dominates and the taste, too. Nonetheless, an easygoing sweetness is present beside the burnt coffee, so the beer finishes with only a measured bitterness. I admired the carbonation of this brew, which definitely enhanced its drinkability, but in the end this wasn't a beer I'd want more than a glass of at a time.

As for the chicory...what the heck does chicory taste like?

3.62/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into snifter.

A: Pours a rich, deep brown with a finger of tan head. The bottle claims that the head will be white, but that's not the case.

S: Roasty, hint of chocolate. Some caramel behind the chocolate.

T: Roasted malt hits first, a deep caramel and roasted marshmallow flavor. Finish is dry, with a slight bitterness and a burned tail that almost tastes like dust burning on a lightbulb. This totally disappears as the beer warms, so it seems to be important to drink this toward 50 degrees.

M: A bit on the light side, and thin.

D: Not bad. The finish wasn't the best at first, but I probably didn't let it bloom enough before drinking. The beer was nice after it warmed a bit, but it's still your basic stout, chicory or no. But it's a cool, rainy day in the northeast, and this did the trick.

3.65/5  rDev -2.7%

It pours a deep, ruddy brown, clear but dark. A finger of light tan head settles quickly to mere wisps of surface froth. Fingers of lacing trace the inside of the glass.

The aroma slips in the edge of burnt malt and sugar, but with a measure of sweetness, dark caramel in character. Chocolate, licorice, and black Cuban coffee round things out nicely.

Upon tasting, the roasted malt holds sway, with bittersweet char and black coffee. The licorice-like bite of chicory glows with a trace of chocolate and a flicker of general hop citrus. The drop-off from grain to bitterness is abrupt near the close, and the finish is lightly minty and disproportionately bitter. While interesting, the flavor is somewhat disjointed and choppy.

Medium bodied, it has a thinner feel as it drains off the palate, sliding away rapidly.

I like chicory in my coffee, and I wanted to like it in my beer, but I'm not impressed. The aroma offered more than the flavor, and the depreciation is notable. And the staccato nature of the flavor makes it a challenge to drink, so it's not a go-to stout by any means. I'd drink it if given one, but I'm not going to buy it again. I don't know if it's the chicory, but this one is just better than mediocre, and I want better than that from DFH.

Chicory Stout from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery