Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Raison D'Être | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

We began brewing this one at our pub in 1996 (we began packaging and selling it sometime in 1998) as the answer to the question, "What beer should I enjoy with a wood-grilled steak?" Raison D'Etre fits the bill. It's as tasty and complex as a fine red wine.

In the Quick Sip Clip video, Sam talks about Raison D'Etre inside the new cellars for our 600-bbl fermentation tanks. The cellars were designed specifically to allow sterile yeast management. The system also allows us to automatically dose the yeast into the fermentation tanks. At Dogfish, we use multiple strains of yeast for our different beers, so we are acutely aware of all that can go wrong when you don't love and protect the yeast.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-09-2001

Ratings: 4,302 |  Reviews: 1,774
1.53/5  rDev -58.1%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

1.56/5  rDev -57.3%

12oz bottled two months previously purchased from Best Cellars in Boston. Pours brown with virtually zero head. Not entirely pleasing scent of molasses. First taste: hmmmm... not entirely pleasing taste of molasses. The flavour is not as complex or interesting as I was hoping. Rather sweet. Getting a bit better as the beer goes on. Long finish. Not one that I'll try again, but not my normal beer style anyway.

1.59/5  rDev -56.4%

Poured in a pint glass. Bottle may have been old on shelf to long.

A: Good looking beer with the pour. Too bad this was its best attribute.

S: Smelled of rotten fruit

T: Back the rotten fruit not very good

M: Gritty almost like the california raisons were dancing in your mouth stabbing it with pitch forks.

D: IMO not very drinkable - one of the few beers I have ever poured out.

IMO Dogfish head has too many good beers to spend your money on this one.

1.62/5  rDev -55.6%

Used to love this beer.. back when I had a raison to drink mediocre beers. I ordered one at a concert recently, and used it to hold down the program while I enjoyed the show. I'm sure the cleaning crew didn't enjoy taking care of the 16oz. (well ok, maybe 15) of liquid that I poured into the trash can. Sorry guys!

1.67/5  rDev -54.2%

Got this at AJ's Scottsdale.

Anticipated a completely different brew.

This beer is awful. The style according to BA is off. I don't know what DFH was brewing here. Be prepared to throw away.

Smell was peculiar and taste was disgusting.

Never again.

1.75/5  rDev -52.1%

1.78/5  rDev -51.2%

Nasty, dumped have of it out.
I had high expectations, it was a big letdown. Put this on the "no buy list"

1.83/5  rDev -49.9%

Raison D'etre seems to be a strange brew. Poured a nice color, amberish, decent head, not much lacing. The taste is oddly astringent, while the mouth feel is cloying. That may be why I find this beer to have an unbalanced, almost creepy quality. Hard to finish a bottle. So many better Belgian strong ales to choose from. Not much I can add ...

1.93/5  rDev -47.1%

A - Deep amber color with thin head, no retention
S - Not much but alcohol hit my nose; pretty mild, though.
T - Alcohol seemed pronounced, some hops and other flavors that all seem to cancel each other out, but just well...not good.
M - Meh. I didn't leave it in my mouth long, to be fair.
D - slim to none IMO.

OK, I know that Belgian Strong Dark Ale is a broad category with lots of variation, but this seems like a weak entry in the field. Not in any way knocking DFH, most of what I've tried of their stuff is world class, but this was a drain pour for me.

Raison D'etre is, of course, French for "reason for living". To quote Norm McDonald, "Note to self: I don't want to live!".

1.94/5  rDev -46.8%

Chilled bottle into a glass, courtesy of Uwftke26.

A: Pours a translucent, dark brown / purple color with amber highlights when held to the light. Slow carbonation up the side of the glass. Half an inch of head on the pour recedes to a ring around the glass, with light trails of lacing down as I drink.

S: Some raisin, dark rum, and caramel/biscuit malt notes, but a fairly weak nose. Agitation mostly brings out an alcohol aroma and not a lot of flavor.

T: As the nose suggests, rum, raisin, and caramel and biscuit malt. No hops detected. A fairly sweet taste, with a sweet finish and a little alcohol warming effect.

M: Thin-bodied and watery, which nicely offsets what would be an otherwise too-sweet taste. The booze is noticeable, but not a deal-breaker.

D: Just got the one, and don't want a second. It's an interesting experiment, and my first raisin beer -- although I've seen a couple of Lost Abbey attempts at the store -- and I'm glad I tried it. I just don't think it's worth seeking out again.

1.99/5  rDev -45.5%

This is from Dogfish Breweries? Somethings wrong. Jeeeez.
Nice beet red in color and when held to the light it produced a good amber reflection. No head and no lace.
Smelled bread and even more yeast, maybe some fruit, but faint. Alcohol was very present.
Alcohol presence came and stayed, raisons and, ready? Feet. Very thick, chewy not good.

Raison D'Être from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery