Raison D'Être | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

We began brewing this one at our pub in 1996 (we began packaging and selling it sometime in 1998) as the answer to the question, "What beer should I enjoy with a wood-grilled steak?" Raison D'Etre fits the bill. It's as tasty and complex as a fine red wine.

In the Quick Sip Clip video, Sam talks about Raison D'Etre inside the new cellars for our 600-bbl fermentation tanks. The cellars were designed specifically to allow sterile yeast management. The system also allows us to automatically dose the yeast into the fermentation tanks. At Dogfish, we use multiple strains of yeast for our different beers, so we are acutely aware of all that can go wrong when you don't love and protect the yeast.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-09-2001

Ratings: 4,294 |  Reviews: 1,772
3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured into a pilsner glass, which is blasphemous, I know. But they're new (my wife bought them for me), they look really cool and I like drinking from them. Poured a beautiful brown with a thick, frothy head that left a skim of crema-like head on top. A quick swirl brings back the thick head. The ale has a nice clarity without any visible carbonation.

The aroma is sweet like a dark fruit, perhaps figs, dates or, as it claims, raisins. There's something else there that I don't identify as alcohol until I taste it. The taste is very sweet, but not cloyingly so. I think I would have been able to identify it as Belgian without having to read it's a Belgian dark strong ale. The only other guess I can think of would have been a very unusual brown ale. I'm not experienced enough to distinguish a Belgian dark strong ale from a dubbel. Perhaps the Belgian dark strong ale lacks a hop presence. This ale definitely lacks a hop presence. There is an alcohol presence, but again not too much. The alcohol offers a spice that tries to balance the sweetness. The sweet fruity taste hits me first and then the spiciness follows through to the finish. Raisin D'Etre is a sipper, for sure.

The mouth feel is more carbonated than it looks and is pretty heavy on the palate. The extra bit of unexpected carbonation helps this along and contributes to its overall enjoyment.

Overall, I liked this beer. It's different, but based on the reviews I read I thought I would hate it. It turns out to be a pleasant surprise. I like the choice of malts and the way the roasting highlights them. I can imagine some might find this a little too sweet, but for me the spicy alcohol balances it enough that I enjoy it. Thankfully, I have another bottle; I would like to try this on-tap.

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

Brown 12 Fl Oz bottle and poured into my Westmalle chalice.

The amber body and cream coloured head looked fine at first, but the head just faded away so quickly I didn't get chance to admire it for long enough.

One of the more interesting American brews I've had the pleasure of reviewing. Belgian beer sugars and sense of purpose, I know of (see the front label), but not sure I've had any green raisins in my beer before?

Anyway the aroma was nothing special, sweet malt molasses and no much else for my nose to find, even as the beer warmed in the glass.

The taste was sweet malts too, with a drying bitterness which gave it a nice edge at the end, almost peppery in intensity.

Very easy to drink and moreish (meaning: wanting more), I liked it a great deal. Not sure it would hold up against some of the real Belgian Strong Dark Ales it has been classed with, but a very good beer none-the-less.

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

12 oz. brown longneck into snifter.

Appearance: Deep brown with an off-white head that sticks.

Aroma: Fruity, almost vinous, some higher alcohol, malt in there somewhere.

Taste: vinous character, sweet, but not cloyingly so, mild alcoholic flavour, especially as it warms.

Mouthfeel: Thick enough to coat the vocal cords, but not so heavy that it's hard to drink. Carbonation helps to accent the complexity of the flavours.

Drinkability: By no means a bad-tasting beer, but would not be suited to long sessions because of its high alcohol content.

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

A pleasant surprise to find this and the Indian Brown ale in my mix a six choices.

A: Nice dark, amber color with a 1-finger creamy nut colored head.

S: Some Belgian yeast, dark fruit, and some spice start of this high alcohol brew. Also get some hints of brown sugar, raisin and molasses.

O: Overall feel is very sweet and spicy, light bodied and doesnt hid the alcohol content. A very strong tasting beer which could throw some people off. If you know Dogfish Head, you will grow to appreciate it!

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

Reviewed through the miracle of BIF 43 NC Lotto and hoppedup.

Pours a clear brown ale with a very slight head formation. When held up to the light this is bronze colored ale with maybe a little extra red to it.

Smell is sweet malty and bready yeast to the nose. Fair whiff of coffee aroma from dark malt and apple and grape aromas. Toffee, butterscotch and some scorched sugar aromas are also in this. Alcohol is detectable in the smell, but it carries pepper, roses and peach aromas to the nose.

Taste is sweet and a little bready at the start. A mild flavored ale the first thing that gets my attention is a little coriander and coffee and smoke flavor. Fairly malty but this seems a bit under flavored.

Mouthfeel is good.

This is certainly a drinkable beer but I really expected more from DFH. The flavor is just too mild for my tastes.

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

12oz bottle served in a snifter.

pours a reddish amber tone while yielding a frothy 1" head; average retention and lacing. nose is a bit on the mild side with notes of caramel, raisin, and some brown sugar evident.

taste follows the aroma but is more pronounced than the nose leads you to believe, especially with the raisins and some other dark fruity notes. good dose of sweet malts. good beer. not crazy good, but enjoyable enough. medium bodied mouthfeel with average carbonation.

overall i thought this was a decent, reasonable tasty, above average beer. nothing i would go out of my way for, and definitely not the best DFH has put out, but solid.

(originally reviewed: 07-26-2011)

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter. Pours a nice deep maroon color with a small white head that dissipates quickly but leaves a little lacing. Smells of fruit dominated by raisins. Tastes of raisins and slight grape taste with some wine-like hints. Beer is carbonated correctly, goes down smooth with only a slight taste of fruit aftertaste. Overall, a very good beer.

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

A: Mahogany, iced tea appearance when poured into my Founder's snifter. Hazy with thin off-white head dissipating quickly and leaving little if any lacing.
S: Sweet malt, grapes, raisins and alcohol.
T: Initial sweet tastes of sugary raisins and malt flavors followed by warmth of alcohol as the finish.
M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Warmth and sweetness leave a lingering finish.
O: Good beer with unique flavors. I feel it did not hide it's 8% ABV very well. Almost too sweet as it could have been more balanced with a touch of bitterness. Overall, it was enjoyable and I would have another.

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

Into an open goblet it pours a lite red without any head. My first experience was young and I noticed just mild fruity tones. My more recent glass had a fruity nose with 1/4" head. The sweetness with of course the raisons sugar (actaully the beet sugar). I enjoyed its distinct flavors and that hint of alcohol that reminds you that more than one will leave you with that warm feeling a bit longer than usual.

-Adam

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

Appearance- some small amount of carbonation can be seen streaming slowly in side the glass, thin tan head lingers for a bit, brown in color and see through when held to the light

Smell- brown sugar, malt, raisins, very sweet malty nose,

Taste- malty sweet body, brown sugar and raisin tastes dominates the most for me, very slight drying on the end keeps it in check a bit, but for the most part a mostly sweet driven beer, enjoyable flavor but would say extremely complex, but decently more in balance then you think at start

Mouthfeel- medium bodied with low carbonation, smooth,

Drinkability- very easy drinking beer, good balance and well hidden 8 percent, very easy and dangerously smooth drinking, the beer certainly lacks a little in complexity compared to some other belgian dark ales but its a great value and extremely easy drinking, world class nah but overall a pretty nice beer for the price and value a certain good buy,

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from a 12ounce bottle into a Chimay Chalice.

A- Dark brownish red

S- The smell wasn't too strong. I smelled malt, toffee, candied sugar and raisins.

T- Sweet, as usual, it gets better as it warms up. I tasted mostly malt, candied sugar, dark bread with a raisin and alcohol finish.

M- Very thin with medium carbonation.

D- This drinks very easily for 8.0 abv, almost too easily. Be careful.

Its good. I'd buy it again. Strong Dark Belgian Ale in 6 pack. What more can you want?

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

Found this beer in Washington State and was excited to finally
taste Dogfish Head's brews. This Belgian style ale was much
more subtle than I expected with a nice balance of sweetness and
complex fruit flavours. Dangerously drinkable at a fairly high abv ,this beer compares with similar offerings from Unibroue
Ommegang and Hair of the Dog. I can't wait to try Worldwide Stout.

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

Appearance: Amber, little bit reddish, with an off white rocky head

Aroma: A slight bit of grape or raisin in the aroma, complimented by a malty sweet smell. Musky.

Taste: Grape flavor continues into the taste. Not a lot of initial malt flavor, virtually no hop presence. It's reminiscent of the midas touch, except this beer has a much heavier mouthfeel.

Notes: A good beer to try. But not one of my favorites. Definately a sign of why Dogfish Head is a popular brewery, because they aren't afraid to take a risk or two.

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

I poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a standard pint glass. The beer pours a dark caramel and is very clear when held up to a light. The head is somewhat thin and does nto stick around long. The aroma is of ripe fruit, because green raisins are in the ingredients, and raisins. The taste is sweet and malty up front. The finish is fruity with a slight alcohol kick. This is less boozy than some of the other dark Belgians I have had, which is not a bad thing. The beer is medium bodied and goes down way too easily. Not the best of the style I have had. Perhaps a bit more drinkable than most.

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

Nice mahogany color with a tan head. Nose has sweet malts, and spicy Belgian yeasts. The taste also has a nice malt profile, but is not super complex. A good beer, but I'd like to see more Belgian characteristics. Medium body is well carbonated and drinks well.

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

This staple of DFH pours a deep mahogany (as described on the bottle) with medium to low head. Not surprisingly, it smells and tastes strongly of raisons. It's fairly easy and smooth enough to drink with a good mouthfell, but I think drinking several of these would get old due to the raison taste - towards the end of the drink it started to taste more bitter than sweet.

I'd certainly recommend this one, but not something I'd get everyday.

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours a clear medium mahogany with a nice smooth cream-colored head that shrinks to a 1/8" long lasting layer. From the foamy head billows a musty fruit aroma with faint spicing in the background. The taste is again a musty fruit, more specifically grapes and raison flavors, with a non-stick yeast in the background and has a unique abrupt halt to the richness that just starts to poke through. It comes up a little short in the wave of flavors as the rug is yanked out from underneath your tastebuds. It still has the making of a good beer in this medium bodied offering that finishes slightly sweet.

Notes: Quite drinkable at 8%, but I think it is lacking in the finish department. Perhaps that's what increases the drinkability because the taste ends too soon. This one is hard to explain, but it's an overall decent offering. Cheers!

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours a deep amber/red with niced thick white head that dissipates quickly. Aroma is very sweet, fruity, and a bit yeasty. Taste is extremely sweet initially with malt and fruit flavors. There is also a distinct tart flavor present and just a bit of bitterness in the finish. It is full bodied and somewhat syrupy. This beer is quite good but it's a bit too sweet for me to drink any more than a single bottle at once.

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

Bottle with a bottled on date of 01/10/2010 into a goblet.

A : Pours a hazy but clean brown with light reddish notes. I poured quite strongly and only got a minimal head, so it's safe to say this is a no-header.

S : Rich notes of brown sugar, malty caramel, a little alcohol, and some spice. Quite nice really.

T : A big barraging mix of brown sugar & dark fruit up front. The alcohol comes in midway through with a soft touch, and the yeasty spice comes in on the end very faintly. This one is sweet, with little to no hop to it, but not syrupy.

M : Wine like. Medium body, with a light carbonation and smooth texture. Very little aftertaste.

D : Quite easily sippable and gulpable. See below for thoughts on the pairing.

The brewers site sais this beer was designed as the pair for a nice steak. I tried two bottles (one with a steak, and one without) and can agree to the fact that is a very nice pairing brew. The steak-parterned beer was much more enjoyable and seem to have a stronger kick of flavors. This reviews scores reflect a combination of both tastings.

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

pours to an amber with a very minimal head atop, but the bubbles that are there are there to stay for a while. you will get sweet malts, caramel, and a little spice in the aroma.

the beer is very smooth with carbonation in check. the body is medium with nice rich consistency. the malts are arranged well, and it is very easy to drink. you will get flavors of caramel, alcohol, and raisons. yes definitely raisons. i didn't expect this, but it was a really unique characteristic. definitely a new experience.

Raison D'Être from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery