Raison D'Être | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

We began brewing this one at our pub in 1996 (we began packaging and selling it sometime in 1998) as the answer to the question, "What beer should I enjoy with a wood-grilled steak?" Raison D'Etre fits the bill. It's as tasty and complex as a fine red wine.

In the Quick Sip Clip video, Sam talks about Raison D'Etre inside the new cellars for our 600-bbl fermentation tanks. The cellars were designed specifically to allow sterile yeast management. The system also allows us to automatically dose the yeast into the fermentation tanks. At Dogfish, we use multiple strains of yeast for our different beers, so we are acutely aware of all that can go wrong when you don't love and protect the yeast.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-09-2001

Reviews: 1,774 | Ratings: 4,281
2.8/5  rDev -23.5%

Pours a deep mahogany like the bottle says. 1 1/2 finger head that quickly dissipates.

Smells of sweet raisins. Distinctive Belgian aroma as well. A bit of coffee.

Burnt, sweet, and burn (from the alcohol). Not much subtlety here. A little tartness. Did I mention burnt?

Moderate mouthfeel. It helps keep that burnt flavor on the tongue.

A bit tough to drink until the 8.0 ABV kicks in. I'd have been upset if this had been a only a 4.0.

In the end, it's the ABV that saves this beer. By the end of the first glass, your'e only just a bit wistful that there isn't more flavor.

This knocks off Delirium Noel as the least favorite of the BSDAs that I've sampled this season, but I still enjoyed it in the end. It's way better than Guiness Draught in a can.

2.8/5  rDev -23.5%

Not a very good beer. Harsh and astringant taste with a syrupy feel. Sweet and malty with a carmel taste and a touch of diacetyl. Low carbonation with minimal head and a muted aroma. Not very Belgian flavor, not very tasty either. I had to force this one down, now what am I going to do with the other 5?

2.8/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Nice amber color, a weird smell from the beets. Really hesitant to try this only my second beet beer and i hated the first. However this is much darker and has a much more complicated scent than magic hats wacko.

This is a tasty sour beer. not bad (at least this one time) but i wouldnt buy a sixer. more than acceptable for a beet beer if wacko was anything to judge by. tolerable

2.81/5  rDev -23.2%

A: This has a great color. Deep amber/brown with some reddish hints. A small white head forms with poor retention and almost no lace.
S: Malty and earthy with some dark fruits and raisins. Some brown sugar as well. Though, there is also an odd musky and metallic aroma that I do not like.
T: There is a bit more malt flavor than in the nose. I like what the raisin characteristic brings, but that metallic flavor that was in the nose is present and big.
M/D: a very harsh crispness in the mouth and to much carbonation for my tastes. The harshness is not from the alcohol, but rather a rough metal fell on the mouth. This needs to be much creamier and rich. This actually drinks just fine. The high alcohol is not detectable, but the metallic stuff going on does not make this particularly smooth to drink.

I am not a fan of this beer. Some sort of metallic characteristic seems to show up in in very aspect of this beer. This is not something I will try again.

2.81/5  rDev -23.2%

Pours a dark brown with reddish tones and tan head. Smell had a faint sweetness and some mild hop character - nothing special. Taste was mostly raisins and plums, slight sweetness and some burnt flavors. Somewhat syrupy mouthfeel. Not that bad to drink but nothing really special about it. Not really worth the effort to seek out.

2.81/5  rDev -23.2%

This brew poured to a cloudy red-brown color with a small light tan head that did not have much retention.

The brew smells of rum, very noticeable once poured, fruit (mostly raisins) and caramel. An interesting brew, but not one that smells really great.

The taste is upfront is pretty good, seems to be under carbonated but not bad. The finish reminds me of stronger alcohol as I have a taste in the back of my mouth that reminds me of rum.

Over all not a bad brew, can see why it is 8% ABV. Can’t say that it is one that I would go out of my way to get again. Interesting but not my cup of tea!

2.81/5  rDev -23.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle with visible freshness date.

Appearance is a cloudy light-amber with a thin head that quickly recedes into nothingness.

Not much to be had in the nose here. Hints of bready malt, but that's about it.

Modest milky texture accompanied by a surprising amount of carbonation. Taste is a bit cloying and finishes with a puckering hop bitterness that finally joins the party.

Overall, it shrouds the 8% ABV well, lending to its relative drinkability. None of the flavors seem to come through that well - a disorganized brew.

Chalk up the results of this experiment as "inconclusive".

2.81/5  rDev -23.2%

Pours a crystal clear, dark amber with a thin, quickly dissipating head that left no lacing at all. Looks borderline watery to me.

Smells of sweet fruit, with dates and raisins coming to mind the most. A sugary note pervades the aroma all the way through. Almost like a fruit-jam type smell.

Taste is thankfully not as pungently sweet at the front, with the raisins a nice, semi-sweet flavor. Malts come out after initial taste to sweeten the deal, though not in a way I like. Tiny bit of date character that resembles a sweet rind of a citrus fruit (very strange, but think about it). Alcohol offers its own flavor as well with a bit of warmth. Sourness arrives as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel is quite thin and bubbly, with a corrosive element to it. Feels a little bit too much like pop. Drinkability saved from disaster by the late-arriving sourness, but still isn't great. Overall it's an interesting beer, but not one I particularly enjoy.

2.82/5  rDev -23%

It pours a muddy amber with barely any head. In the nose it's fruity, bananas are what I immediately thought of, and there's the smell of chewy malts. The taste is dominated by the strange taste of beets. Off the bat I'm not really a fan. The deep malt taste isn't offensive but it can't do much to save this beer from my judgement. It has a nice carbonation and a light body. Overall I can't say I'm really enjoying this beer at all. That's Dogfish Head for you, it can be really hit or miss!

2.82/5  rDev -23%

07.25.04 was when I bought this beer. I drank much of it then and paired it with an aged goat cheese from Capriole in Indiana. It was called Wabash Cannonball. The pairing is well worth revisiting.

I opened a bottle last night. It was slightly tart. Tonight's bottle is even more tart. It approaches a sour ale. This is not my recollection. This beer is a rich copper color with little head. Sourness is its main voice. It isn't a bad sour but it is a pronounced sour. I wouldn't age it again . I recall it much better fresh. I'll try it again fresh.

2.5 A looks like cola after small head gone
3 S sweet malty, molasses, prunes
3 T like a mediocre homebrew resulting from attempt to make something heavy and
alcoholic. too sweet. actually reminds me very much of one of my own homebrewing experiments.
2.5 M like cola with less fizz. sticky.
2.5 D i do not plan on having more, but wouldn't completely dread

2.82/5  rDev -23%

A- Pretty color, nice and clear, off-white head that faded fast.

S - Very fruity and estery, stone fruits, candy grape or banana

T - Some spiciness, nice sweet malty backbone. Finishes dry and odd, fairly alcoholic tasting, warmness.

M - Decent carbonation, but lingering phenols are unfortunate

D - Wouldn't have more than one but glad I tried it.

Overall a OK beer, though not particularly balanced. Certainly overrated, its unclear what the brewer's vision was.

2.83/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Dark brown, hints or amber color underneath. Smells like a mess. Another collection of DFH hodgepodge ingredients. Not really my favorite style, nor brewery, lots of sugar, but at least not overly sweet, just a bunch of strange adjuncts to give the impression of being "complex".

Not a desireable taste left, and a struggle to keep drinking it to the end. Try this one with friends, that way you don't end up drinking all 12 oz. by yourself.

2.83/5  rDev -22.7%

A: a slight hazy on this bright red/brown hued body. big fluffy head turns to a slight rim of retention.

S: some sweet candied syrup (im assuming this comes from the beet sugars), a little roast/caramel. hard to identify the raisins.

T: some caramel. soft fruit similar to banana. perhaps some of that raisin in there as well. cant pick up any any hop attributes. a little, tiny bit of alcohol.

M: medium body. moderate carbonation that finishes with some fizz on the tip of my tongue.

D: doesnt taste like an 8%'er. much lighter in my opinion. not really a strong bel. dark. just missing something. not quite enough in the nose or on the palate.

2.84/5  rDev -22.4%

Pours almost as dark as soda. Dark red tones poke through when light hits it at certain angles. Very little head, but it lasted a long time.

Smells very sweet. There's a floral fragrance first, followed by a little malt and a little fruit (banana). Maybe just a touch of spice. It could use more of that really.

Taste is heavy on the malt. There seems to be very little hop character at all. Just a dash of hop flavor on the finish. It's a strong and sweet biscuit or bread flavor that dominates. There's a sweet caramel hint in the background too. Doesn't seem to be particularly complex. The flavor is just dominated by the sweet malt. It's not particularly bad, but not really notable by any means. It seems to be getting worse as it warms though

Mouthfeel is fairly creamy. Medium to heavy bodied. There's just no balance though. It's all sweet and all malt flavored. I prefer a good contrast of sweet and bitter and a more complex mix of flavors.

It's not undrinkable, but there doesn't seem to be that sense of purpose that DFH mentions on the label. I suppose if you wanted an all sweet strong dark Belgian, then this fills that purpose, but few others. Grab a Unibroue instead.

2.84/5  rDev -22.4%

The beer pours a dark mahogony, nice creamy cap on top that laces very well.

The smell and taste both contain an unpleasant mixture of bell pepper like fresh flavor and dark ripe fruit. They both kind of fight for power, never blending together.

The mouthfeel is nice, medium bodied with just the right amount of carbonation.

This beer would be pretty drinkable, the alcohol is hidden well, the mouthfeel is very nice...but the taste and smell really just keep me from enjoying the experience as a whole. Odd, because I love the D'extra. I cannot complain at all though, it's their creativity that keeps me coming back.

2.85/5  rDev -22.1%

Poured into a goblet. A brown/ruby red with no head and only a faint amount of lacing across the top. It smells of a heavy amount of caramel malts and some dark fruits. A weird blend of sour fruits, just past fresh. I smelt some dirt in there.

You can taste a twisted grape from the green raisins but it doesn't balance well with the toasted malt flavors. The caramel malt sweetness is overwhelmed by the addition of beet sugar. A dry and stinging aftertaste. The grape flavor sticks around in a sour way.

A medium body. Relatively slick on the palate. I'm struggled to finish this one.

2.85/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Poured into a tulip glass from the 12 oz. bottle.

a. Deep translucent amber forms a finger thick head which quickly dissipates to a ring of foam around the edge. Abundant bubbling. Looks more like red wine as it's consumed

s: Mild fruit.

t: Fruity, no doubt the raisins are responsible for some of the dark color and impart a wine-like taste.

m: Moderate bitterness. Rather harsh.

o: Since I prefer beer to wine, and this tastes like some kind of hybrid, it's not a favorite.

2.86/5  rDev -21.9%

Pours amber with an off tan head that has both superiorretention and side lacing.
Aroma is of molasses and raisens and to a lesser extent some mlatiness. Alcohol is definitly present and heavier than I like.
Taste is syrupy and sweet, but too sweet and any malts are lost in the sweet syrup.
Finishes dry but too sweet for me.

2.86/5  rDev -21.9%

I purchased this at Chicano's in Hudson WI, not available in MN.

Poured a 12 oz bottle into a snifter
A: Color is dark ruby red with a little copper toneing. Lace not present, little head retention. At the pour I had a good finger of head that quickly vanshed into thin air.
Minimal bubble rise from the bottom of the snifter.

Smell: Smells like fruit, charred caramel, some toasted bread, alchahol. Very disatnt wiffs of chocolate.

Taste: Sweet upfront, then quickly headed south. Robatussin cough syrup like aftertaste. Just a hint of chocolate after the swallow.

Mouthfeel: Syrupy in the and on the front end entering my mouth, then changing to a more watered down consistancy. Moderate carbonation
This is an interesting beer. The acahol is way to strong, in the smell and on my tounge. The balance in this one is not there. I'd drink it again if it was free, but I wont buy it again.

2.86/5  rDev -21.9%

Bought a single of this beer to try it out.

Served around 60 degrees, this definitely has a unique smell immediately after the pour - can't pin it down.

It poured a gorgeous, clear, dark amber color with hints of orange on the edges of the glass, no foamy head remained after the initial pour and very little to no bubbles.

I smelled lots of malt mixed with molasses scents. After sitting in the glass for a few minutes, the Belgian characteristics came out more prominently - richer and sweeter with very little alcohol taste in the mix.

The malty flavor remainded in my mouth minutes after tasting.

I had a Trappistes Rochefort 8 a couple days ago, and I am not certain of the age of this beer, but it tasted like a younger, more crisp Belgian beer.

2.86/5  rDev -21.9%

Appearance: A deep, dark red, with unusual clarity for an ale. Abundant, somewhat clingy light tan head.

Aroma: Lightly sweet aroma. Smells of rum, sweetish raisins, and a light breadiness reminiscent of sweet rolls.

Taste: Very fruity, tasting strongly of raisins, prunes, and other sublimely sweet fruit products. The light and toasty character of the malt adds some slight balance to the beer, but this is a very sweet drink overall. The alcohol is pretty obvious from start to finish, eventually leaving a somewhat harsh medicinal aftertaste on the tongue. It sort of reminds me of the stiff, fruit juice-based mixed drinks we used to come up with in college; there's no nuance or complexity here. Just alcohol and sweetness.

Verdict: I'm always up for new and interesting takes on a style, but this is a swing-and-a-miss for me.

2.86/5  rDev -21.9%

The best thing about this beer is it's coloring. The beer pours a rich light brown with copper hue. There is a quickly disapating off white head. Aroma is very musty and not very alluring. Flavor is disapointing too. No balance of flavors or much a direction to style either. There are rough malt flavors and some flavor reminiscent of wine. This beer leaves a sweet bitter aftertaste to it. Very light carbonation, slightly gummy or chewy ...muddy body. I've enjoyed other brews by Dogfish, but this one isn't for me.

2.86/5  rDev -21.9%

12oz bottle into a Dogfish pint glass. Pretty fresh at 2 months old.

A- Raison D'Etre pours a medium brown color with red highlights while up towards light. A very clean brew as there is not much, if any sediment. A 1/2 inch head comes through then disappears leaving a slice of off-white head. A whole lot of rising bubbles.

S- A good smell consisting of a lot of sugars (including brown) and caramel. Roasted malts with some syrups maybe. Under that the raisin shows up with a layer of yeast also creating an earthy scent.

T- The raisin is apparent and sugars are up front creating a sweet assault on the mouth before leaving. After that some smoky qualities arise while some dark fruits and a dash of coffee and even less chocolate. The caramel and roasted malt stays throughout each swig with some alcohol presence. Overall, this really isn't my thing with the set of ingredients chosen, leaning towards the yeast.

M- Reminds me of a smooth bock. Not as thick on the mouth as some DFH offerings but leaves it's mark. A nice bit of carb going for this as well. A bit of a hassle to get through. Not a pleasing aftertaste.

D- Not my favorite DFH offering honestly & i love their experimentation but not this one.. I had trouble with even this 12oz serving. Maybe this would be better in a cask, but i don't see myself having that in the future. I will look out for this on tap and compare.

I am going to try the D'Extra but if it's double the taste of this then forget about it.

2.86/5  rDev -21.9%

Dogfish Head Raison D'etre pours a mahogany brown with a fluffy light brown head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. The smell is on the sweet side, with alcohol being noticeable. Flavor is estery at first, with alcohol and raisons being next up. The finish is kind of malty. Some burn from the alcohol is noticeable after the finish. Well it's different, not really my thing. Worth a try, but really didn't do it for me.

Raison D'Être from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery