Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

We began brewing this one at our pub in 1996 (we began packaging and selling it sometime in 1998) as the answer to the question, "What beer should I enjoy with a wood-grilled steak?" Raison D'Etre fits the bill. It's as tasty and complex as a fine red wine.

In the Quick Sip Clip video, Sam talks about Raison D'Etre inside the new cellars for our 600-bbl fermentation tanks. The cellars were designed specifically to allow sterile yeast management. The system also allows us to automatically dose the yeast into the fermentation tanks. At Dogfish, we use multiple strains of yeast for our different beers, so we are acutely aware of all that can go wrong when you don't love and protect the yeast.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-09-2001

Ratings: 4,301 |  Reviews: 1,773

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

Photo of

You had this beer. Write a review.

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

3.31/5  rDev -9.3%

Had this beer recently in 12oz. version for the weekend at a summer house. I was shooting for variety.

Great appearance, a deep amber hue, very impressive look when held up to the light. When poured a light brown, dark reddish head is accomplished that sets up rather nicely.

As the lable suggests there is serious raisin scent that this beer puts off. At first I thought it was like a scam just to play on the words of its name, but one can definitely pick it up. A very sweet and spicey smell with a hint of cinnamon (I know that sounds odd, but that's what I'm getting).

The taste is interesting at first and I'd definitely stick to that "sticky sweet" notion as I kind of mentioned earlier. I felt like I was drinking a sweet roll or cinnamon muffin.

The texture was velvety and smooth, heavier than what the beer appears to be.

I had two of these over the course of a weekend and I really was hoping someone else would drink a whole one and let me know their thoughts, but no one would (interesting).

To be honest, I'm not crazy about this beer even though I know it is award winning. Too heavy on the sweet side for me. I'm sure I'll give it a go again, but it is definitely of the one beer an outing variety.

2.94/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

Had good intentions of liking...still trying. Appearance - Deep amber, nice frothy lingering head. Clear copper. Smell - burnt orange, cinnamon raisin toast w/ cream cheese. Taste - overly sweet, malty...candied tree bark. Styrofoam cup...stale hot chocolate. Mouthfeel - long, lingering, intense, interesting...I like the mouthfeel as is very dynamic and complex. Drinkability - to review but otherwise would never reorder or repurchase or recommend. Sorry DFH!

4.48/5  rDev +22.7%

Here D-Fish has created another outstanding beverage for us. Smooth, malty and flavorful, time after time.

Appearance: Fine copper/gold color into a 12 ounce tumbler. Some moderate lacing around a quickly diminishing head of 1-2 fingers. With a few swills and tumbilng, the head restores to 1 inch. Very appetizing and appealing.

Aroma (Smell): Smokey, deep and full of good brew, something you want to dig into to. A bit of the alcohol comes through but not all that heavy. This one won't kick you too bad. But don't dirve anything but the lawnmower, buddy, after two or more.

You'll get busted, flat out.

(Hate those DWI laws...)

Taste; Full-bodied, rich and infused with the raisens and a good deal of hops. A bit malty, barley and spices coming through. This is a complex brew worthy of consideration...

Flavor: Full of all that can be good. Lively, vervacious, outstanding.

Drinkability: Great. I could have several several of these and still enjoy the next or send out for more.

Here's a fine craft-brewed ale from Dogfish, who has become my favorite, especially since the 120 pale ale the other nite....these folks really know what their doing with beer.

Just hope they keep it up.

Enjoy!!!

2.42/5  rDev -33.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

[Appearance] - Pours dark amber with a mahogony hue. Head is bubbly and off white. Pours 1 finger and retains/laces average at best.

[Aroma] - Tons of cloying caramel malt sweetness followed up by slight notes of roast.
sublte notes of rum and dark fruits.

[Taste] - This beer is a mess. Very sweet upfont, cloying. Hop bitterness follows but is weak and grossly insufficient. Fusel alcohol and metallic astringincy follow and linger preventing any other impressions on taste to develop.

[Mouthfeel] - Excessively cloying upfront followed by overly thinning alcohol solvency and metallic astringincy.

[Drinkability] - 1 is more than enough. This beer is a bit chaotic.

[Overall] - Avoid this one. Dogfish stikes again with another overrated, if not, outright bad beer. A Belgain inspired beer that is out of balance.

4.4/5  rDev +20.5%

A - Just what you'd expect. Chocolate brown. 2 fingers of head

S - Caramel over malt with some slight hops

T - follows the smell perfectly.

M - very heavy and thick. This is a nursing beer if I've ever had one. I happen to like thick beer, so I gave it a pretty high rating

D - Sure this is a session beer. if you're a sailor or a lumberjack.

3.03/5  rDev -17%

Bought a six-pack of this stuff a while ago and figured I'd review one. Watching Olympic ski-jumping only requires half of one's attention, so seemed a good occasion to multi-task.

This beer's pretty enough - a deep copper with and almost-molasses core is nearly-opaque is flanked by honey-colored highlights. A finger or so of khaki head contains tight, shining bubbles. Lacing is wet and fleeting on the swirl.

Aromas of dark fruit and malt are prominent at first, but give way to a chalky somewhat vegetal smell. Can't quite get my finger on what it is, but I don't love it. Re-agitating this brew after a few sips releases a massive sweetness, which is interesting though not particularly refreshing.

The first sip gives a bittersweet splash of carbonation, which fizzles quickly to leave a syrupy, pasty mouthfeel. Other posters have mentioned a strong alcoholic taste that I didn't get, but it is a bit vinous to me. More than anything, I'm getting sweet and sugary.

Overall, not a fan of this offering. The syrupy sweetness makes it tough to have more than one for sure and I didn't find it balanced or interesting enough to make it a favored sipper. Will stick with other DFH products and file this one away under "noble experiment gone awry".

3.95/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured from bottle into sam adams glass, deep red color, light head that dissipated quickly, I found the flavor to be very complex and layered with a nice well rounded mouth feel. A good beer but not something you'd want to drink a lot of in a row, well you could but ...

4.03/5  rDev +10.4%

A: nice red copper color, thin head (though I didn't pour it too strong). Color is beautiful.

S: not bad, smelled kinda like a brown ale with dried fruit infused. Kinda malty, not too strong on the hops.

T: almost like a fruit cake with rum soaked raisins. I thought it was delicious, but after a while the alcohol and maltiness dominated the palate (fruitiness was still there though). An interesting beer, I did not get any robitussen grape or other flavors that people seem to mention.

M: Smooth.

D: Very

This is an excellent beer, It reminded me of a rum soaked holiday cake. I know it's not for everyone, but I would definitely recommend at least picking up a single bottle if you can. Enjoy!

2.81/5  rDev -23%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle with visible freshness date.

Appearance is a cloudy light-amber with a thin head that quickly recedes into nothingness.

Not much to be had in the nose here. Hints of bready malt, but that's about it.

Modest milky texture accompanied by a surprising amount of carbonation. Taste is a bit cloying and finishes with a puckering hop bitterness that finally joins the party.

Overall, it shrouds the 8% ABV well, lending to its relative drinkability. None of the flavors seem to come through that well - a disorganized brew.

Chalk up the results of this experiment as "inconclusive".

3.41/5  rDev -6.6%

Pours a golden mahogany with an off white head that quickly dissipates and has little to no lacing. Smells very lager like with a bit of malt and raisin. Taste is kind of similar. The raisin hits you up front, but then fades off into an off putting bitterness. Not a bad beer, but definitely not one of there better offerings.

3.63/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Nice mahogany color with a hint of orange. Minimally thin tannish head.

S: Sweet caramel malts, grape, grainy. With great complexity and depth.

T: Direct and poignant. On the finish the grape comes forth with the lasting note of the hops.

M: Sharp and adventurous, really enjoyed the lower carbonation and smoothness as it comes to room temperature.

D: Great beer overall and certainly capable of being complimented with a complex dinner pairing. The higher ABV prevents me from being able to drink many though, maybe two in a setting.

2.75/5  rDev -24.7%