Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Au Courant | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

A remarkable, strong Belgian Pale Ale brewed with French Pilsner malt and pale Belgian Candi Sugar. Pureed currants and our house Belgian Ale strain are added to the fermenter to create a unique beer.Brewed to bolster your bluster in the colder weather!

Added by Todd on 12-04-2003

firstprev| 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next → last
3.97/5  rDev +10.6%

I have come to expect nothing but the unexpected from this brewery and this ale is not a disappointment. I was anticipating a light, very fruity ale, but instead was welcomed by a deep strawberry pour with the heavy aroma of currant and malt, reminiscent of a heavy white wine. Flavors of sweet currant and lightly caramel malt are supported by a medium body and a warming finish. Very tasty session ale, and very drinkable in quantity.

3.9/5  rDev +8.6%

It took me quite a long while to locate a four-pack of this little beer. I think the beer distributor in my part of Maryland has a personal vendetta against Dogfish Head. I have no real proof of this, other than the fact that Dogfish Head beers routinely show up in DC and Virginia long before, if ever, they appear in Maryland Liquor stores...

The beer, nice pour, good golden amber color, little creamy white head, which dissipated quickly. Very inviting smell, clean and crisp, just a hint of berries. Taste matched the smell - this is a very clean and well finished beer - almost has a "Pete's Wicked" finish to it. Very drinkable. I could go through a 4-pack of this in one evening.

I'm glad I was able to finally locate this latest Dogfish Brew. Unlike some of their other recent releases, this one does not dissapoint. It does seem to lack some of that distinctive Dogfish character that makes people do things like drive an hour out of their way to find beer; I'm not sure if this beer will be seasonal or a year-round, and I'm not sure that I care either way.

3.85/5  rDev +7.2%

I really liked this beer. A bit too sweet to have more than a few of but a very good beer on a nice Fall/Winter night. Instant smell of fruit hits the nose. Berry/cherry-like. The taste is a bit of a "creamy" taste. Not a very crisp beer. Hides the 7% alcohol well.
As weird as it sounds, the initial taste was like that of Heineken with a nice currant undertone. All throughout, I just kept thinking of Heineken w/berries. Weird but true. I think 2 would be the most I could drink of these. Another good beer from Dogfish.

4.2/5  rDev +17%

This beer poured a very appealling copper reddish color. It was very clear with an average head. I could immediately smell a sweet aroma, but did not immediately pick up on the currant. The first taste was just some sweetness, but then after a bit (and after eating some mild cheese), the total fruitiness of the currant started to appear. It was a bit slow to develop, but then all of a sudden I could really taste it. The aroma also developed and the fruit was definitely present. I am not sure how much was the cheese acting as a palate neutralizer or simply that as it warmed the fruit came through. The beer just got better as I continued to enjoy it. Of course, when tasting, eating food is not always advised, however, I will definitely say mild cheeses had no ill effect, but do not serve this beer to anyone while they are eating anything spicy or they will really miss out on its beauty.

3.7/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The head dissapeared quickly after the pour. Bright clear amber colored ale with almost a reddish tint when the light hits it from a certian angle. Subtle sweet and fruity aroma similar to that of their Raison de etre. Again the taste draws comparisons to the Raison de etre, lightly fruity, belgian sugar sweetness. Has a mildly hoppy crisp finish. I was slightly disapointed because I thought currants were berries and expected more of a berry sweetness.

3.98/5  rDev +10.9%

Pours a nice golden orange color with a nice head that quickly receedes.Nice aroma of fruit.It reminds me of some of the first blueberry beers I had on the West coast in 1990.Its like a very faint grape aroma-or weak black currant if youve ever had that in the UK.Nice flavor-again the black currant dominates.Nice malty sweetness and bread-like or biscuity in the finish.Pleasant mouthfeel.A very good beer and a nice change of pace.Gotta love the chances that DFH takes they usually work.

This one pours an amber color. There was some head from an agressive pour, but it was gone quite readily. There is a fairly strong nose of currants. They tend to overpower anything else that might be there. The currants are the first thing that hit you in the taste. A subtle hint of hop bitterness in the aftertaste. A crisp taste. It grows on you with each sip. They continue to push the limits at DFH, and they have come up with another winner!

3.2/5  rDev -10.9%

It pours a pretty orange-gold, crispy clear, with a small white head that dwindles quickly to a star of thin foam in the middle. There's no lacing.

The aroma delivers a strong whiff of dried fruit, with apricot coming to mind, and a citrusy mandarin orange background from the hops. A dry metallic tang draws away from the overall aroma.

First the dried fruit makes it's appearance, delivering again apricots, perhaps currants, and even berry. There's a distinct malt sweetness as well. The malt finishes with a biscuit character, and the hops are more felt than tasted. There's a musty under-bracing to the flavor, and the finishing sweetness borders on artificial in nature.

It's light to medium bodied, and doesn't so much coat as wash the mouth. The malt is slightly chewy, a nice surprise, and there's little evidence of hops in the mouth after a taste.

It smells sweet, and it tastes sweet. The metallic element is a turn-off, and the busyness of the taste and aroma is not an altogether good thing. The cloying sweetness makes multiple undertakings unlikely. If you enjoy fruit flavored beers, try it, you may like it, but I've never been the biggest fan, and this beer does not change that. Still, there's enough structure here to make one wonder "what-if" the negatives were a little less poignant, making it interesting in its way. It's just that other beers interest me more.

3.26/5  rDev -9.2%

I'm not very impressed with this new winter beer from DFH. The pours was nice enough. A dark golden brew with a nice white head of foam, good retention and lacing. The aromas was a mixed bag, with the currant aromas mixed in with a pretty bad grainy aroma that reminded me of corn chips. The taste revealed the worst. This brew tasted like corn chips with some slight grape flavors thrown into the mix. Did they use adjuncts in this? I hope not! The mouthfeel was a bit light, and the drinkability was OK, but I have not experience this in a beer in like a year. I had a beer called "steam whistle pilsener" in Toronto and it tasted exactly like Fritos. After that, I had hoped that I would never encounter this flavor in a beer again...but it happened! Oh well, DFH is a great brewery and they make some of my favorite beers. This just isn't one of them.

2.85/5  rDev -20.6%

I drove in the big bad snow and got rear-ended (no damage done, thank god) for this one (among others)...
The color was nice, i'd almost have to call it bright amber, there was a brightness to it. It was pretty. It smelled grapey, maybe berry-like but not too strong. A nice aroma indeed.
Then the taste- honestly, it tasted very grainy, the currants were not in the taste for me, and it just really tasted like corn to me, which I didn't like too much- too overpowering. The mouthfeel was ok, but because of the taste, I just couldn't see myself drinking this one again anytime soon.

3.95/5  rDev +10%

Sampled on tap last night at Spuyten Duyvil, Brooklyn. A tawny-coloured, Belgian-style beer with a slightly perfumed, flowery aroma. Minimal head. Quite mellow-tasting with a residual sweetness that partly fades; it is evidently brewed with French Pilsner Malt, candi sugar, and the DFH house Belgian yeast; pureed currants are added to the fermenting vessel. 25 IBUs.

4.15/5  rDev +15.6%

two cases of this stuff arrived at a local store today (seemingly), so i ripped one open and grabbed a 4-pack. different, but tasty nonetheless. it pours a nice orange/amber colour, perhaps the most orange that i've ever seen a beer. very bright and inviting. there's about a 1/2 inch thick white head that leaves a minimal stickiness behind on the glass. the smell is sweet as can be, yet not overpowering. it of the sugar/candy type with hints of orange and berry (from the currants, i presume) and alcohol in the background. the taste is quite similar to the smell, but surprisingly (and pleasantly) more subdued. due to the minimal carbonation here, it almost seems a bit watery at times, but the flavour keeps pressing through. threre is a bit of a hop kick at the finish along with some nice warmth from the alcohol. whilst not earth-shattering, this is a solid, and very drinkable brew that's a nice alternative to the more 'standard' winter brews.

firstprev| 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next → last