75 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: American IPA

Blend two Dogfish Head favorites, add maple syrup and carbonate the mixture naturally. What do you get? 75 Minute IPA.

The carbon dioxide trapped during bottle conditioning gives 75 Minute IPA a soft and velvety mouthfeel. Dry-hopped with whole-leaf Cascades, this complex IPA has been known to inspire pilgrimages to our brewpub.

Added by ManekiNeko on 02-06-2004

Ratings: 3,482 |  Reviews: 646
3.7/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

had at the Grey Lodge Pub for the Johnny Cask night promo back in March

not much of a head after the initial pour from the firkin...slight haze to it, from the maple syrup...almost looked like iced tea...light amber color

maple syrup dominated the nose...hops are muted but become prevalent as the beer warms....sweet malt....some caramel in there also

when i took my first sip it reminded me a burnt rubber taste...not what i look for in my beers... i'm assuming this was from the maple syrup...this went away as the beer warmed and the hops showed up...sweetness comes in from the malt...citrus and grapefruit are there but not front and center

smoooth going down...if it wasn't for that off smelling burnt rubber taste in the beginning this would be something i could drink all night

becomes more drinkable as the beer warms and that burnt rubber taste fades and the hops step in....not sure how necessary the maple syrup is to this concoction, but i'd like to see if that rubber taste is there or not if the syrup isn't added to the cask...good balance of hops as expected from the 60 Min/90 Min combo

3.87/5  rDev -6.1%

Cask @ Deep Ellum in Boston.

Very full bodied with lower carbonation (as expected). Didn't see the rising carbonation like I usually see in cask ales. Very bubbly and low density head. The aroma was defintely hoppy, with most of the sharp oils coming through giving some bitterness. The flavor had some grapefruit along with some slightly caramel flavors that I don't recall tasting with the on-tap version at the DFH Alehouse. I even tasted some maple, and the menu stated some maple syrup was added.

I think I preferred the on-tap version. It could have been toward the end of the cask though.

4.3/5  rDev +4.4%

day two at NERAX 2009. this was actually tapped at the start of the night, so people here at NERAX were actually getting a head start before all the others at the "simul-cask" on thursday, march 19. kicked within an hour or so. muhahaha

crystal clear amber with light straw tones. creamy, sudsy head fades to wisps and sudsy ring. micro-splotches of lace here and there.

aroma: light, but piney, resinous hops with touch of citrus rind. sweet caramel and esters (apple and grapefruit)

taste: fruity citrus sweetness and caramel with quick move to hoppy pine and citrus, but still fruity. trace of maple character within the sweetness. moderate yet crisp, balanced bitterness.

smooth, light syrup feel, with touch of resins in the finish. light but tight carbonation.

4.22/5  rDev +2.4%

Had on tap at the Falls Church Alehouse.

A: Beautiful bright copper color with a good head and plenty of lacing as it goes down.

S: Lots of hops. Can definitely tell this is the 60/90 blend, as I'm getting quite a bit of each. Lots of the 60-type hops in addition to the solid malt sweetness of the 90.

T: Citrus hops take the front stage, but the sweet maltiness is definitely there, and doesn't let the hops get too overpowering.

M: Light-to-medium body with a good amount of carbonation. Not much alcohol to be tasted.

D: Incredible--much, much better than either two of its component parts. I'll be blending quite a few of these at home for myself in the future.

4.45/5  rDev +8%

On tap at Dogfish Head Brewings at Eats in Rehobeth. Blended from the tap (3/4 60 Minute, 1/4 90 Minute).

A: Beautiful golden, copper when lifted to the light, color. Head was gone when the beer arrived at my table. Left decent lacing on the glass.

S: Pine with a fresh citrus scent, maybe lemon. Allergies were acting up. Second pint ordered I picked up a hint of grapefruit as well.

T: Pine up front being taken over by fresh lemon and grapefruit. There is a nice spicy character early on as well. A hint of caramel on the end, just enough to balance the bitter bite up front. The freshness of this beer is obvious, and amazing. This is the best of both worlds! (60 & 90) During my second pint I also picked up a bit of grapefruit.

M: Good carbonation, light bodied, and there is a minimal stickiness/oiliness from the hops.

D: This is, hands down, one of my favorite I.P.A.'s.

4.4/5  rDev +6.8%

Had this on tap at the Dogfish Head Alehouse in Falls Church, VA.

Appearance: Pours a clear, orangey-copper color with tons of carbonation running throughout and a short, tight white head that fades to a skim and leaves behind spotty, sticky lacing.

Smell: Really mild aroma full of bright, sticky, piney hops. Slight toasted malts come through lightly.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Delicious grassy and piney hops with a slight sweet maltiness. The balance between the hops and malts is very well done, both refreshing and satisfying. The feel is full but not thick thanks to high carbonation, and the aftertaste leaves a slight sticky film throughout the palate.

Drinkability: Very high - could definitely have a few of these in an evening without feeling overpowered.

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

HAd At the BBC in Plymouth MA,

I was so excited to have been a part of the event. The beer was awesome.

Poured a nice orangeish amber with a nice thick head, rocky ans off white. Big ups to the bartender for the pour.

Smell was all hops with a light sweetness.

Taste was straight dry hopping. Piney upfront and mellowing to more of a citrus finish. The sweetness of the malt was in the middle. I love cask and love the dry hops.

This was the first cask offering I have ever had from Dogfish. I hope it isn't the last. This brew reminded me of the 90 min. with the randal. This was maybe a little smoother.

4.2/5  rDev +1.9%

Had as part of the DFH Simulcask event at Deep Ellum in Allston. Cask was kicked in about 20 minutes.

A: Poured a nice orange/amber with a thin layer of foam on top. Looks exactly as it sounds - a combination the 60 and 90 minutes served out of a cask.

S: Hops. That trademark DFH hoppyness. A lot of pine, and a hint of citrus.

T: This is where this shined. The hops are there in all their glory, but there's a slight hint of maple behind it from the cask conditioning. It provided an additional hint of sweetness to the hops, which created a wonderfully balanced brew.

M: Smooth and delicious.

D: I wish this was available regularly. This was excellent, and the event as a whole was a lot of fun as well.

4.05/5  rDev -1.7%

Cask at Blind Tiger.

Amber color with a small head.
Aroma of citrus, pine, maple syrup, sweet malt and wood.
Flavor was very nice, nice hop presence to this, citrus like flavor with a bit of sweetness.
It was very smooth and somewhat creamy. A bit on the sweet side, but nicely balanced, a very nice beer, i would love to have again.

4.08/5  rDev -1%

on cask at The Grey Lodge in NE Philly, served in a curved DFH pint glass. The cask kicked in 30 minutes. Part of the simulcask event.

A- Directly out of the cask there were just a few sparce bubbles congregating towards the center of the glass. 75 minute has a hazy look to it(maybe from the sryup) while it held a light amber color.

S- The addition of maple syrup is noted and kind of drowns out the hops but they come out over time. Once a little higher in temp I can detect the DFH scent that comes from their IPA's. I got a nice sweet malt addition as well with some caramel.

T- On first sips I said to myself "where are the hops" but as said earlier they need some time to show themselves. The maple syrup is the 1st thing I detected while it is not overdone. The malt also gives a sweeter edge. The citrus and grapefruit is there but take a backseat in this version.

M- Medium bodied and smooth as a baby's___ coming out of the cask. I really had to swish this around in my mouth for a bit to get the full affect of this beer. The aftertaste is great and screams DFH.

D- Very drinkable and I would like to try a non maple syrup induced version to compare. I wonder if this is 7.5%, from what I drank it's in the ball park for sure. Again not as hoppy as expected which was is a nice change of pace, at least for me. Good stuff all around.

4.33/5  rDev +5.1%

Had this at Redbones in Somerville, MA. It was cask was kicked in less that 45 mins.

A- Great beautiful color. Mid-brown with hints of red and orange. Very little if any head (may have been the bartender though)

S- Def and IPA. Lots of hops. A bit of citrus.

T- First taste was great. Smack in the face with a lot of hoppy goodness. Also, malty flavors.

M- Smooth not to heavy. Very crisp and refreshing. Very little carbonation.

D- very drinkable

4.62/5  rDev +12.1%

I had this at The grey lodge pub in the Northeast. Poured into a the dogfish head pint glass. Poured an amberish hazy color with golden highlight's. Left no lacing at all.

Smell was mostly of citrus hops some sweet maltiness that followed.

Taste was the best of both worlds. A beautiful nice citrus hoppy taste with a sweet maltiness to it on the backend. Also the aftertaste was a dry grapefruit taste.

Mouth was completely flat really no carbonation whatsoever.

Drink was very good I had two of these within I believe 10 mins.

Amazing brew one of the best that dogfish head has to offer IMO. Moreso that the 60 min and 90 min. My wife and I got there just in time when they just tapped it. When we ordered the second time our last two there was so much white sediment at the bottom of the glass it was pourely of hops. IT was great and we found out the keg was kicked when I returned with our drinks.

4.04/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Johnny Cask Simul-Cask Version, Deep Ellum. Pumped into DFH shaped pint.

A) Big frothy head on top of a very maple syrup-like body (color-wise). Unlike any IPA I've had, but this is a pretty unique beer.

S) Smells almost like the 60 Minute IPA, but quite a bit more of the same hop character. Correction, heaps more hops.

T) Again, unlike either IPAs but interesting. Maple syrup sweetness dominates again.

M) Somewhat thick but smooth (cask, duh). Did they add maple to beer or beer to syrup?

D) Definitely wouldn't want more than two in a session. It's enjoyable but maybe a little too much weirdness going on for an IPA.

I overheard that the cask kicked in 22 minutes. Good job, people! I hope they do a 120/WWS cask in the future.

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

I'll open by saying that this is one of my favorite beers of all-time, and currently my favorite that DFH serves. I find both the 90 minute and 60 minute IPA's to be excellent beers, but the 75 seems to take the best elements of each and combine it into one beer that surpasses either on its own. If I didn't hate the word, I'd describe it as synergy.

A: Amber color, oddly enough about halfway between the appearance of 90 and 60 minute.

S: Floral scent, clean and crisp, but also a definite honeyed malt coming through on the tail of the nose.

T: Where this beer really shines is in the complexity and subtleties of its flavor. It's got all of the crisp, bitter, clean flavor from 60 minute while carrying over the high gravity sweetness and body of the 90 minute.

M: Smooth, although not quite as good as the mouthfeel of the 90 minute. It's still carrying a bit of the larger bubbles from the 60 minute (which is a bit too carbonated for my preferences).

D: Wonderfully drinkable. I'd drink this over and over (and I do, every time I go to a DFH Alehouse).

4.6/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Paul at the DFH Alehouse in Falls Church gave me this one..Poured from a tap. 75% 60min-IPA and 25% 90-min IPA into a pint glass.
I see my friends on this beer think it's a 50/50 blend. Not the case. However, this is one you can do at home alot cheaper. BUT, won't have the DFH Alehouse good food to go down as well.
OUTSTANDING BEER..!! This will be my regular pint in the visits to come.
Anxious for the Fairfax, VA DFH Alehouse this spring !!

4.35/5  rDev +5.6%

Had on draft at DFH brew pub. Reviewed from notes.

This was awesome, pushed through the enamel animal(randelized). Delivered from tap with impressive one finger head. Nice lace. Poured a deep orange amber.

Nose- Pushing this through the randelizer added a ton to the nose. Lots of citric hops, orange and grapefruit specifically stand out.

Palate- Very nice. Grapefruit, orange zest. Very smooth, lighter then just the 90min alone. This is more refreshing then the 90 and more robust then simply the 60 alone.

Mouthfeel- Dry, slightly bitter in the finish.

Drinkability- Very good.

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

Golden orange, decent head.

Strong citrus and pine in the scent.

Flavor on this is all over the place. Definite barley and grapefruit of the 90 at times, with definite pine and biscuit from the 60 at other times. Interesting, but not as effective as either one alone, I think.

Mouthfeel smooth and resinous.

This was good, but not as good as the 90 is alone. Perhaps better than the 60 alone, but sort of a jack of 2 trades master of none thing going on.

3.97/5  rDev -3.6%

I had a pint of this at the Falls Church, VA Dogfish Head Alehouse.

THe beer came to the table a clear deep amber/orange hued body with a thin white served in a regular pint glass.

The aroma is citruis fruit, and floral in quality but nothing over the top.

The taste is exactly like a 50/50 split of the two beers but in some ways it has more of a 90 minute flavor. The mouthfeel though is not nearly as big as as the 90. Its still slightly creamy in quality with light carbonation, but not as big.

Nothing wowed me about this beer. I do like it better than the 60 and it is far more quaffable than the 90. It would be worth a try if you happen to hit up one of the Alehouses or their brewpub.

4.28/5  rDev +3.9%

Appearance: Arrives at the bar with a clear amber color and a one finger head that eventually becomes a ringlet while leaving plenty of splashy lace

Smell: Nicely balanced aroma between the sweet malt and the grapefruity hops

Taste: After a quick introduction from the biscuity malt, the grapefruit hops take over and provide a bitter, but fruity aspect through mid-palate; after the swallow, the flavor profile becomes nicely balanced between the big, alcoholic malt found in the 90 minute and the refreshing hop profile in the 60 minute

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: The balance between the finer attributes of the 60 and 90 minutes provides a nice blend that drinks very nicely indeed (the bottled version with maple adds a bit of maple sweetness on the finish)

4.47/5  rDev +8.5%

I'm basically going to agree with everyone else on this one. Had it at the Falls Church DFH Alehouse, basically cause I'd tried everything else and the prospect of mixing two of my favorite IPAs (60 & 90) seemed like a good bet. And it was. Basically it tastes and smells exactly like you would expect, based on the idea. Delicious fruity hops and a solid malt backbone. Obviously, not as syrupy as the 90, but medium to full bodied and tasty. Seriously could drink this one forever.

4.4/5  rDev +6.8%

I had this on-tap at the Falls Church, VA Alehouse. Man, this is one drinkable blend of beers. It filled the glass as an amber colored brew with an off-white head. Nice lacing clung to the glass. The aroma was a very nice blend of the piney hops noticed in the 60 Min. and the sweetness of the malts from the 90 Min. The flavor was even better. Nice and hoppy without the sweetness that normally starts to get to me when I drink a few of the 90 Minutes. Solid mouthfeel. Nice oily coating on my tongue. Very, very easy to drink. This is one I will duplicate at home.

4.63/5  rDev +12.4%

Had this at the Alehouse when I was in Virginia visiting the sis.

This is one beautiful brew....very dark amber color with this big fluffy white head that stays and stays...

Huge pungent piney aroma rolls out of the glass at me... Smells very similar to the 90 Minute but perhaps not quite as boozy..

This combines the piney hoppiness and malty sweetness very well.. Its hoppy and piney and pungent but at the same time, sweet and malty and delicious.. This is terrific!

I could drink these til my head hit the table so that should say something about the drinkability...

Awesome brew..

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

Served on tap at Dogfish Head Alehouse Falls Church, VA.

Poured a clear amber color, deeper than the 60 minute, but lighter than the 90 minute with good off-white head, good lacing. Smells of grass, citrus, and sweet caramel. Taste is of grassy hops up front with a nice firm malty sweet backbone and a grapefruit and warming alcohol finish. Medium body with good carbonation, smooth yet crisp with bite, good balance. Easy to drink, a nice middle beer if you don't want the higher ABV of the 90.

3.97/5  rDev -3.6%

A special beer at the falls church location that I stopped in at the other day. The 75 is a new one for me since I love dogfish! Not bottled it is just half 60 min IPA and 90 min IPA. Surprisingly hoppy and sweet.

Appearance is a little darker like the 90. Nice head.

Smell i think is the best part except the taste of course. It blends the hoppiness of the 60 and the sweetness of the 90. It is a perfect blend.

Taste is good. It is very very hoppy in the front and very sweet at the end. The 60 takes the edge off of the 90 and is a must to taste if you ever make it to the alehouse.

The moutfeel is creamy and very crisp. Medium body.

Drinkability is high if you dont want to drink 4 or 5 90 minutes. Nice blend.

On tap at the Falls Church Alehouse

Appearance: Clear golden beer with a fingers worth of thick head that sticks around for a few sips. A good amount of lacing here as well.

Smell: Nice floral and citrus hops mingle nicely with the sweet aromas that are prominent in the 90 minute.

Taste: Tastes like what it is. More intense than 60 minute, a more mellow beer than the 90 minute. Very nice and very balanced with the hops, the sweetness, and the maltiness all coexisting very well.

Mouthfeel: Quite thick and full. This one leaves a nice coating on the mouth and the hops and sweetness linger for a while. Very nice mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Very high. While I still prefer the 90 minute, this is a wonderful beer and definitely worth a try at one of the Alehouses.

75 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery