Midas Touch | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

good
good
Read the review
Midas TouchMidas Touch

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

Added by purplehops on 10-31-2001

Reviews: 1,641 | Ratings: 4,767
4.39/5  rDev +18%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Fantastic-smelling beer. Maybe substandard appearance and head. Taste has a bit of alcohol but the honey, dark berries, maybe figs are a joy. Very filling and definitely a sipper. Being personally not a fan of Hopslam or Brother Benjamin, and someone who frequently spikes guacamole with honey, I think the use of honey is judicious. I drank only half the bottle one night, and the next night the flavor and smell were more rounded maybe as a result of flatter carbonation.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

This beer pours a clear light amber color.
The head was 1 finger. Dissipated fairly quickly. Lots of carbonation bubbles rising in the glass
The nose has a slight sweetness to it, honey. There's something else I can't put my finger on.
Taste, well, I'm not impressed. There's the harsh alcohol burn. Slight sweetness. Some spices that clash in my opinion with the rest of the beer.
Feel is ok. The harsh alcohol plays into the feel.
Overall, I won't be getting this again. I do not like it, but it isn't a drain pour.

3.97/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Amber
Aroma: Sweet honey and spice
Taste: ? Unusual. Honey. Thinking the grapes and barley clash a little. I guess that's what the ancients had to work with!
Finish: sweet and interesting. I like the finish better than the front and mid palate.
Overall: Pretty cool. The history makes it taste better. If I was just going from overall impression blindly I'd say interesting and pretty good but not my cup of ale...but when you add the homage to history it kicks it up to another level of appreciation. I'd drink it again for sure.

3.45/5  rDev -7.3%

Bottled on Date: 01/28/16
Sampled on: 03/17/17 - Bottle is a little more than a year old.

Look: Pours a somewhat hazy, medium orange color with lively carbonation and a half finger, white head of foam. Leaves no lacing.

Aroma: Pleasant. I'm not getting much saffron or grape - but what I am getting is a malt driven, toffee, caramel and honey aroma with somewhat floral notes of fresh clove in the foreground.

Taste: Right away, there is a slightly tart, sour, semi-sweet white grape, cherry and black berry flavor upfront. It's a little mouth puckering at first but once you get used to it it's actually pretty nice. On the aftertaste I'm getting rich flavors of toffee and honey. In the background very faint notes of sweet, floral, spicy clove and what I guess is saffron - but it has mostly faded with age.

Feel: Medium body with medium carbonation. 9% Abv is there but hidden by a tart, somewhat sweet flavor profile.

1.41/5  rDev -62.1%

Gross sour, musky, strange taste, though, and a lingering unpleasant aftertaste. I don’t notice any honey or saffron the bottle alleges is there. Possibly the worst beer I’ve ever had.

3.67/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a small chalice: color is copper, transparent, head is off white with fine to small bubbles, no lacing but light ring lingers.

Smell is odd, due to the style amalgamation - beer/wine/mead - but appropriate with notes off light malt, but sweeter grape or fruit and light honey.

Taste is also hard to review - the combination of fermentables dilutes each, but i pick some honey, grape, and neutral malt with light spice.

Mouthfeel is neutral, moderate carbonation, moderate sweetness, neutral mouth presence.

Overall, this is a beer I've always admired and think about making similar renditions via homebrewing mainly for the simplicity and blend of fermentables. The simple flavors make sense for a beverage with such a history - why would ancient ales be overly spiced or hopped when these items were likely at a premium.

4.7/5  rDev +26.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Excellent beer! Spicy to start with and has a pretty high ABV. You can distinctly feel the flavours in every sip. Definitely one of the best beers I've had.

3.77/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

I recommend drinking this beer around 55 to 60 degrees. This beer is a journey in beer history so it is fascinating to those, that like myself, love beer and always seek to try the new and interesting just because it is there.

This one pours a cloudy dirty blonde color that has a short and thick head that settles slowly leaving no lacing down the glass.

The nose has hints of a whiskey sour, alcohol, chardonnay, flowers, bread, black pepper, and grass.

The taste is incredibly complex with it seeming like a mixture of white wine, mead, and beer. There are some sour notes remind me of a mild gose style. The taste also has hints of dry caramelized honey. Not one of my favorite beers, but an interesting beer to explore the origins and history of beer.

The moutfeel is rich and silky allowing the complexity to evolve on the palate. There is a warming to the tummy also.

Overall this is a drinkable beer once it warms up a bit. I find it to be complex and good with something salty to eat like ruffles [Exactly like King Midas intended ;-) ]. Also goes really well with HOT AND SPICY boiled live crawfish that are not meant for tourists.

If you haven't tried, you should so you at least have a frame of reference. If you like Chardonnay and mild sours then you are likely to enjoy this also.

4.07/5  rDev +9.4%

Part of a pick your own sixer from Publix. Pick your own is cheaper than buying one type, fancy that! Let's give it a whirl. Popping the top I get a waft of zesty malt and sweetness. Pours into my nonic pint glass to a bright yellow with a one finger head. On the taste the mouthfeel jumps out as thick and syrupy. The taste is balanced with a sweet but tart up front followed by a heartier malt middle then a mildly bitter finish with a lingering bitterness. Very smooth and belgian-like not spicy as expected but malty and rich. Goes down too fast which at 9% is scary. Will drink again.

4.84/5  rDev +30.1%

Alright, this one is just bonkers.

Firstly, massive love to Dogfish for always breaking down tradition and brewing up some unbelievable beers as a result. Midas is no exception, and if anything, establishes the rule. As someone who steers as clearly away from wines as possible, I never thought I could appreciate and downright enjoy something made so similarly to a vino. The aroma and taste somehow marries a bright, citrusy, sweet and fruity character to just enough herbal bitterness to make for a perfect conundrum of complexity. For such a whirlwind of flavor, the body is light and the ABV is deceptively hidden until the tail end of the aftertaste, and even then, the saffron somehow melds it into a pleasant heat. Plus the story here is just radical. Cheers, Sam. Cheers, Dogfish. Keep doing what you do.

3.43/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a deep gold/copper with a thin foamy short lived head

Smells mostly sweet and grapes light honey

Tastes grape sweet white wine, honey. Finishes mostly sweet with light honey flavor. More as it warms up. Do not taste any alcohol.

Good to try a unique beer but slightly to sweet for my liking

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle that doesn't look like it holds that much. A semi-aggressive pour produces a one inch snowy white head that dissipates fairly quickly. The beer is a slightly hazy ruddy golden color, with effervescent carbonation.

The aroma includes a bit of funk and an obvious aroma of mead. The flavor is perhaps milder than expected- in fact it is quite smooth and masks the alcohol very well. The body is also unexpectedly light but still with a moderate mouth-feel very much like a mead and with a tingling on the tongue from the carbonation. A bit of mild bitterness lingers in the after-taste. I'm wondering if this is caused by the saffron, a flavor with which I am not really conversant with the exception of some German cuisine I was treated to long ago.

This is a unique offering that I wish was more widely available. I am indebted to my friend Jennifer for this beer, which was purchased in northern California and is not available in my town (Butte, Montana).

4.18/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 12 oz. bottle to Snifter.

A: Clear golden. Small white head that fades to l=small lacing.
S: Honey, herbal grassy notes, yeastiness, and bready malt.
T: Sweetness up front, a white wine-slightly artificial grape flavor comes forward. Strong malt flavors carry the taste forward. Ends sweet.
M: Medium.
O: Very interesting flavors. Will have to age it and see what changes.

3.87/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a goblet. A mildly hazy honey-orange color with a thin white head despite a vigorous pour. Minimal retention and no lacing, but a wispy white cap. Complex aromas of white grapes, cinnamon, honey, oranges, and bread. I tasted white grapes up front, followed by grainy malt, oranges, plums, and spices - cinnamon? Minimal bitterness, minimal floral notes. Some honey but more beer than mead for me.

4.49/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is a deep deep gold, almost an amber beer. Rich gold with no head to speak of. The smell is delightfully grainy and is accompanied by a sweet carmelly taste. This is a good finishing beer and carries a medium body.

4.01/5  rDev +7.8%

L: A slightly reddish amber, with a foamy head that unfortunately dissipates quickly.
S: A very sweet, fragrant smell that immediately makes you aware of the relatively high ABV.
T: Strong overtones of honey with floral/herbal hints, with grape occasionally poking through.
F: Sweet and mead-like rolling down the tongue, with a just slightly bitter aftertaste that lingers.
O: A good "sipper" beer, worth trying if you're a history buff or just want to experience something new. Unique blend of flavors.

3.83/5  rDev +3%

Upon first taste straight out of a pint glass, with the bottle chilled beforehand, i was really not a fan of this one. However as the beer warmed up the honey notes gradually gained prominence. By the final 2 fingers or so it had gone from a confusing wine-ish flavor to a delightfully tasty sipper that i will definitely try again. Bottom line: don't drink ice cold!

4.39/5  rDev +18%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

First heard of this beer in a documentary I watched about this history of beer. I knew the Ancient Mesopotamians invented beer but it was nothing like it is today after the German purity law. I am very excited to try this!

Poured at room temp into a Samuel Adams perfect pint glass.
Pours a rich golden amber color. Thick lacing on the glass.
You immediately smell a strong grape scent especially when opening the bottle. Scent of honey is detected after pouring into a glass.
Tastes a little bit more like a wine than a "modern" beer. Large presence of grape flavor immediately followed by notes of honey.
Feels very pleasant to drink. Makes my tongue water.
Overall this is a very unique beer. I am a complete history nut. After first learning about how human society started basically through the Ancient Mesopotamians wanting to drink beer, I have always wanted to have some inclination of what those early beers tasted like. Now I finally have that opportunity.

look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

I recently hear about this brew in a podcast and thought I would try it! It was on the expensive side at about 15 bucks for a 4 pack at my favorite quick stop for beer but I found it worth it. When poured it ends up a medium amber color with a medium head, a good looking beer! It smells different in a good way but does not overpower and is not particularly strong, which is both good and bad. It tastes great, you can taste all the advertised flavors and personally I was pleasantly surprised! The honey and grape work particularly well together for me and I find myself wanting more. The texture is a measurable amount better then average to me with a good balance between flavor and carbonation. The bottom line is if you are in the mood for a sweeter ale this is a strong candidate, maybe not for everyone's taste but more then worth a try if anything I have described sounds tempting to you. I would recommend to friend, it was a very enjoyable beer for me.

3.76/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a 16oz Tulip. Refrigerated.

L- Clear Amber, fizz/head dissipates quickly
S- Honey, grapes, caramel and slightly malty
T/F- Over carbonated. Pleasant taste at first, but gets syrupy. Strong tastes of honey smelt on the nose, sweet and herbal.
O- Not my favorite beer, its definitely worth checking out though. History behind it as seen in the description is pretty neat too.

4.1/5  rDev +10.2%

L- Clear and golden. Not a lot of fizz.
S - Fragrant. Hints of Honey and wheat.
T- Hearty flavor. Very smooth. Wonderful aftertaste. Not too sweet. Definitely can taste the Hops.
F-Very nice. light.

O-Great summer brew. Very refreshing with a unique blend of flavors.

2.02/5  rDev -45.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Ugh. I got this just to try something different. The reviews made it seem like it would taste unique / different and be on the better end of pleasant. Instead I find this beer to be nearly indistinguishable from bud light and extremely overcarbonated. The only redeeming quality (barely) is that the nose is a little different than normal and not entirely unpleasant. But the beer is honestly difficult to drink for me

4.24/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

With honey and saffron flavors, this is certainly not your average beer. But it's not some fruity girlish drink. I think it would pair well with spicier dishes and red meats. Plus, it's novelty would make this a fun conversation piece at parties.

OK, these rating numbers don't help much with a drink like this. How's it supposed to look? Taste? Smell??
I had this at a beer festival in Houston and had heard that it was like a hybrid of beer and wine. I would say it's more like mead and wine because there is no hops and nothing that really tastes like malt to me either. So...does that sound like beer? Very strange sweetish, sticky brew that everyone should have once (and then you can decide if more is needed!)

4.01/5  rDev +7.8%

Listed on the "1001," I found this interesting and complex. So, I Had it again so I could review it.
As implied on the label, Midas Touch might please -- and possibly convert -- chardonnay drinkers to beer. So I brought it to a dinner party and was subtly solicitous and... ended up drinking most of it myself after several people took one sip. Lesson: sometimes two different worlds require more work to meet.

Had twice separated by two or three years, both occasions had different results. The first time (if memory still serves me), Midas Touch tasted sweet, mead-like. The second time (that is, last night), it finished drier. Go figure.

But the experience, probably, will be worth it a third time. Interesting story on the collaboration between an archeologist and a craft-brewer who knows how to experiment. Fortunately for us, this experiment became an interesting beer that is brewed regularly.

3/5/17 Had yet again. Same dynamic as the first two tastings, but put together: initially sweet and later dry. A mystery brought to us by studying (and speculating) about the past. Overall increased .25 for innovation and balance.

Midas Touch from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery